Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

- There is some talk of scripting languages from Micah. So some portion of the game logic will be broken out to a script for editing and manipulation, but it's not totally clear what this looks like yet.

:hellyeah:

I dabbled in Dredmor modding a bit, but lacking any sort of scripting capability and having to everything in XML of all things kind of drove me crazy. This is good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

- 2D or 3D: It's sort of hybridized 2.5D right now; things may change.

What does this mean? What parts of the gameplay take advantage of 3d and what parts don't? Or did you mean something completely different?

I've only ever heard "2.5D" used in reference to graphics before.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

I've always been curious about this sort of thing, does 100% deterministic mean there are no "random" events as such, or does it just mean you pick a random seed at the start of the game and everything follows from that?

Well, if you're using a pseudo-random number generator in the first place, there is no randomness full stop (barring whatever entropy pool you use to get the seed in the first place).

Procedural world generation of the sort likely to be used here pretty much requires PRNG use, so it's almost certainly the latter; given a game state (including the current PRNG seed), the same inputs will always give the same results. There are no hidden confounding factors like system clock or network latency.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deki posted:

This might have been answered earlier, but given almost everything is UML driven, like DoD, how much control would modders have over the process?

I missed this earlier. I was really hoping for proper scripting support this time around rather than a giant pile of XML. :( Aah well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Even these have been ruined for me. No clockwork spiders either.

Really just steer clear of arachnids of any kind.

Hey, I still like spiders. :colbert:

Especially armies of steam-powered mechanical spiders with razor-sharp legs that I can deploy instead of an army.

Or police. :getin:

(More seriously, what's caused this spider fatigue? I can't, offhand, think of any recent games in which spiders play a major part other than DF. Before that I have to go back to System Shock 2 and the Thief games, and if you try to tell me spiders were used poorly in those I will fight you.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Skyrim. But really just about any fantasy, horror, or sci fi game will use them at some point. See also http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantSpider and skip to "Video games"

Ok? Most of those games are pretty old and it's nowhere near "just about any". (I haven't played Skyrim.) And for every game with spiders where they're incredibly annoying (Dark Messiah), there's one where they're used brilliantly (System Shock). The rest of the time they're usually just boring and generic walking XP sacks, which annoys me when I have my "every encounter, enemy, conversation, and location should be interesting in its own right" idealist hat on, but I don't find offensive in and of itself - and even in that role, they're considerably less played out than, say, everything from Tolkien, most kinds of undead, dragons, dire ____, or sewers.

Maybe I just have an irrational attachment to spiders because LGS used them so well, but I don't get the hate.

Pozzo posted:

Oh man you just reminded me of the Weaver, has anyone else read Perdido Street Station? I vote yes for reality reconfiguring arachnids.

I did, and I thought the Weaver was the worst kind of Deus Ex Machina and the book would have been better without it. :mad:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Remembering Perdido has me thinking; most of the only "good" steampunk that I've seen occurs in societies that are fundamentally unhinged in one way or another. Brutal police state. Entire roving cities eating each other whole. A slowly rotting utopia underneath the ocean. A flying beacon of progress divided by jingoistic xenophobia. Rather than presenting how awesome the spirit of Victorian exploration, invention, and etiquette are, you need to show how low people can sink in spite of innovation.

I want titles for these books, so I can read them.

Pozzo posted:

I'm not hugely bothered by its role in the story, and I find it such a compelling character perhaps because of my interest in Avant-Garde poetry and prose poetry and so find the way it speaks and the confluence of that with its actions to be hugely engaging.

That's just me.

Oh, I really liked the Weaver as a character and concept, I just found its role in the story to be hugely irritating. Main characters are cornered and facing certain death or capture? Weaver saves them! Main characters about to be hosed up by a nest of dreamshit bugs? That's right, Weaver!

It wasn't just the Weaver, though; I thought the book as a whole had issues with characters swooping in out of nowhere to neatly resolve problems facing the protagonists. The Weaver is just the most dramatic (and, to be fair, interesting) of them.

(I did like it enough nonetheless to go on and read The Scar, which I liked much more, and Iron Council is next on my list.)

quote:

Anyway, by far the worst and most irritating kind of Deus ex Machina I ever saw was last book of Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy, which is pretty tellingly called "The Naked God"

No argument from me, I liked the trilogy as a whole but hooooly poo poo that ending was a letdown and far worse than any of my complaints about Perdido.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Orv posted:

Roving cities eating each other was the not-BioShock one, actually. BioShock 1 (or was it 2?) had a police state in place before you showed up for a little while, according to audio logs. Though less actual police and more "the people with guns run poo poo".

I haven't played 2, but 1 had a rapidly collapsing libertopian nightmare that tried to turn into a police state briefly and then ended up as the anarchic wasteland the player arrives in, yes.

I still want to know about the flying beacon of progress and the roving cannibalistic cities, though!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A friend of mine, upon being informed of this game, has stated "all I ask is the ability to build fortresses, and then mock my enemies from the walls. With my ball lightning gun."

Will there, in fact, be ball lightning guns?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Honestly, the only things that annoy me about Dredmor are the lack of diagonal movement and the necessity of using the mouse to navigate easily. (I might be wrong on that one, but I don't think there's a way to pick up stuff or attack with the keyboard, but it's been a while). Other than that, it's a ridiculously good game.

You can attack (and open doors, pull levers and loot bookcases) with the keyboard by turning on move-to-attack in the options, and you can pick up stuff by walking over it if you turn on autopickup.

Stuff you can't do with the keyboard which is a source of constant aggravation to me: close doors, open chests, pick up items you don't have on autopickup, switch hotkey panes, 'fisk items, target spells or other abilities, examine monsters or items

It would be so much nicer as a laptop game if you didn't have to use the mouse every five seconds. :(

Not that this has stopped me from playing it for hours each day

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

A little late but here is a blog post on Tags and Events:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/08/08/tags-and-events/

... if you think you see anything on our front page, you're probably imagining things.

Since you're already using Lua (or something that looks very much like it, at any rate) for stuff like entity properties, why is there still XML all over everything? Why not just use Lua everywhere?

Volmarias posted:

Aside from the "heads falling off" part I don't think we've heard of any of the others, and I'd love to hear about them :allears:

Ditto, I love reading bug reports like this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

Mainly for things that we want to keep in C++. Writing stuff in Lua is all very well, but you sort of either have to keep dipping in and out of the interpreter to grab the information, or you have to write a C++ parser to parse the stuff loaded from Lua, which is sort of equally gross. So XML it is.

:confused: No manual parsing needed - for simple key-value stuff you can iterate with lua_next and stuff everything into a std::map or similar, and for more complicated things you can hand Lua a C++ object to manipulate/functions to call (the bindings for which can be generated automatically) and when lua_pcall returns, everything is set up.

quote:

Plus, we have a toolchain from Dredmor.

That makes a lot of sense, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That was fantastic. Thank you.

(Keep the corrupted door model, have doors start doing that once you've spent too long meddling in Things Man Was Not Meant To Know.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

This would also be lovely. And by lovely, i mean horrific and terrible and simply must happen in some form in the name of Fun.

Honestly, after meeting Tentaculats, Lobstermen seem downright cuddly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

What we need is a modern remake of Alien Legacy!

Not gonna lie, I considered doing that myself. Even spent a while trying to reverse engineer the game data formats (mostly unsuccessfully).

Game owned, but I never did finish it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm a huge Outpost fan too, love the genre. I kickstarted two colony games a while ago, if just one of them turns out alright I think I'll do fine for a while.

CE is pretty much a guaranteed win for me at this point though.

I never played outpost; maybe I should. Which two games?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

It's disappointing that the developer was originally considering android but moved to PC instead. I'd kill to get a decent strategy game on Android that isn't freemium.

It's not that surprising considering how much of a pain android development is.

Also, I'm pretty happy about the move, there's way too many games where I think "oh, that looks interesting" only to find out that they're iOS/Android only.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Idles posted:

Hey Clockwork guys, since you're using Lua and also deterministic lockstep multiplayer I'd love to read a more technical blog about that stuff. Like did you patch Lua to use fixed point math (via a C++ class with overloads, or replacing the Lua math ops)? Or are you forcing SSE floating point? Also have you run into the problem of ipairs and various other functions being non-deterministic with pointer-valued keys? Details. Deterministic lockstep multiplayer doesn't have a ton of literature, anything you could add would be great.

I think you mean pairs; ipairs is deterministic (with the usual caveats about sparse arrays) and doesn't iterate over keys not in ℕ anyways.

I would also read this, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

Uh, no, no JSON. Lua and XML.

Also, it's about meat.

code:
models = {
  [1] = { "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteBlocky1x1-00.upm", "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteLumpy1x1-00.upm" },
  [2] = { "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteBlocky2x2-00.upm", "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteLumpy2x2-00.upm" },
  [3] = { "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteBlocky3x3-00.upm", "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteLumpy3x3-00.upm" },
}
Why are the models indexed first by degree of devolution and then by shape, rather than vice versa? Doesn't that make it kind of aggravating to add new shapes?

Something like:

code:
models = {
  { "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteBlocky1x1-00.upm", "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteBlocky2x2-00.upm", "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteBlocky3x3-00.upm" };
  { "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteLumpy1x1-00.upm",  "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteLumpy2x2-00.upm",  "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteLumpy3x3-00.upm"  };
}
Also, I am stoked to see how moddable this game will be, and that a lot of the interesting stuff is being pulled into Lua rather than going deeper into the XML rabbithole.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

David teaches us how to make a secret mushroom dish this week:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/05/pickle-that-fungus/

I know there's been a bunch of logistics chain stuff lately, but I find it pretty interesting, so thanks!

quote:

This is my life! (I didn’t even include the step where I run a lua script to write the icon & filter information to an xml file that the UI will actually read.)

Why not just have the UI read the lua directly? There seems to be a lot of XML being used as a configuration/data-description language floating around, and we all know where that leads. Ia! Ia!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Daynab posted:

Here's some storytelling about GDC and a couple funny pictures: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/19/how-to-pr-the-gaslamp-way/

I am so sad that I missed GDC. I was even in the area on a business trip, but I didn't have time to escape to San Francisco. Glad to hear it went well though. :)

quote:

Discover your hotel has no hot tub, and that you are surrounded by Ridiculously Healthy people from the Google Android team, and feel Bad about your Health.

:argh: While they were off gallivanting around GDC and looking healthy at people, I (and the rest of my team) were attending talks with titles like "Initializing End to End Test Frameworks: Why the sun will grow cold and dim before your one-line change is fully tested" and "The Inescapable Waking Nightmare that is Log Analysis". And trying with only partial success to fend off Airplane Flu.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, Factorio is superficially nothing at all like DF and its descendants, but I find that it scratches the same itch: the desire to build some huge overcomplicated machine that mostly operates without your intervention when everything is going smoothly and fails in dramatic and exciting ways when they aren't. I think it's a reasonable recommendation here.

gently caress that mandatory combat level where you start in the car, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

There has actually been an argument made, in office, that we should just take it out and that much of the functionality that would be in a minimap would go just as well in a "go home" beacon. It's not on the list of Revision 40 either way, I'll tell you that much.

Honestly, SupComm/Rimworld-style infinite zoom completely obsoletes the classic minimap anyways.

(I have no idea if infinite zoom is planned for CE, but I sure hope so.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I went back and looked through some old dev blogs, this picture is from March 2013.

Are you still planning to add cogs and machines everywhere? I'm still holding out for glorious automation! :)

Factorio Fortress with fishmen. That pitch is a large part of what originally attracted me to CE. :science:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dareon posted:

It crashed on exit for me. Which I always find amusing, like fifteen minutes after I'd stop playing The Secret World I'd get a pop-up telling me The Secret World had encountered an error and needed to close. I also recall one game that would always throw an error on exit, and they either couldn't figure out why or didn't have enough time to fix it before release, so they just changed the error message to a thank-you. :v:

You're probably thinking of Wing Commander; the game was crashing on exit in the EMM386 memory manager, so they binpatched the memory manager to display "thank you for playing Wing Commander" as the error message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

... what is with laptop people in this thread? :(

What's the spec of the laptop? Maybe I can do something.

I tend to do a lot more laptop gaming of late because I can take the laptop where the toddler is but the toddler often cannot be taken to where the desktop is. :shrug:

That said, what are you doing here rather than sitting on a beach somewhere drinking laudanum out of a skull or something?

• Locked thread