Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Today's blog update is indirectly of interest for anyone who would like to mod the game eventually.
Sweet sweet JSON.
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/02/26/theyre-made-out-of-meat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Daynab posted:

Today's blog update is indirectly of interest for anyone who would like to mod the game eventually.
Sweet sweet JSON.

Uh, no, no JSON. Lua and XML.

Also, it's about meat.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Secrets are being revealed, rebalance the meat levels.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

rhoga posted:

Endless isn't the word. The possibilities are squamous, and full of unknowable angles, vistas of unwholesome horror as only a Machen or Von Junzt could have imagined.

Fixed that for you :eng101:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I see the promise of golden tickets again. I'm beginning to think you have tricked me with a Celine Dion ticket dipped in mustard.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

Also, it's about meat.

code:
models = {
  [1] = { "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteBlocky1x1-00.upm", "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteLumpy1x1-00.upm" },
  [2] = { "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteBlocky2x2-00.upm", "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteLumpy2x2-00.upm" },
  [3] = { "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteBlocky3x3-00.upm", "models//nature//rocks//rhyoliteLumpy3x3-00.upm" },
}
Why are the models indexed first by degree of devolution and then by shape, rather than vice versa? Doesn't that make it kind of aggravating to add new shapes?

Something like:

code:
models = {
  { "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteBlocky1x1-00.upm", "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteBlocky2x2-00.upm", "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteBlocky3x3-00.upm" };
  { "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteLumpy1x1-00.upm",  "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteLumpy2x2-00.upm",  "models/nature/rocks/rhyoliteLumpy3x3-00.upm"  };
}
Also, I am stoked to see how moddable this game will be, and that a lot of the interesting stuff is being pulled into Lua rather than going deeper into the XML rabbithole.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Looks cool, but from reading the update and looking at the data format it looks like each input can only have one output? So no
code:
Cow -> 3 Bone, 5 Leather, 10 Meat 

or 

Person -> 2 Definitely Not a Human's Bone, 3 "Leather", 5 "Meat"
?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Daynab posted:

Sweet sweet JSON.

That meatcube...I gotta know what the next level of manufactured good is that comes from that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Soviet_Russia posted:

That meatcube...I gotta know what the next level of manufactured good is that comes from that.

Meat bricks -> Meat Housing -> A meat factory make of meat bricks producing meat cubes

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Meat bricks -> Meat Housing

Warning: Do put artifacts into the meat house. If the meat house begins to whisper and/or undulate, leave the meat house at once. Please remove any growths the meat house might produce as they are often acidic.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Meat bricks -> Meat Housing -> A meat factory make of meat bricks producing meat cubes

Smells like industry and progress. Ignore the dogs, they just want a piece of orphan capitalism for themselves.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Warning: May contain meat and/or the paranoid and homicidal thoughts of elder unknowable beings

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Okay, how long has that been there? :catbert:

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

Dareon posted:

Okay, how long has that been there? :catbert:

:D :D :D :D

(I love the payoff on playing the long-game with a joke/reference! Oh man. So worth it.)

(Edit 2: SVN log says the image was there since 2011, but converted from an earlier sprite. I must have added the description later; We officially finalized the name "Clockwork Empires" in what looks to be February of 2012 though that particular name was kicking around a little earlier than that.)

dbaumgart fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 4, 2014

nvining
May 30, 2011

One lucky SomethingAwful user just wandered into our office and tested the game. It was not terrible.

If you are a *local* person in Vancouver who is willing to sacrifice about an hour of your time for Usability Testing NEXT WEEK please e-mail us at contact at (our company name) dot com - or me at [my first name].[my last name] at (our company name, all one word) dot com - and note that you are a random goon who is willing to subject themselves to Usability Testing.

(Golden Ticket Winners: You are not forgotten about.)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Good luck with testing, I hope you updated Jira.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

nvining posted:

One lucky SomethingAwful user just wandered into our office and tested the game. It was not terrible.

If you are a *local* person in Vancouver who is willing to sacrifice about an hour of your time for Usability Testing NEXT WEEK please e-mail us at contact at (our company name) dot com - or me at [my first name].[my last name] at (our company name, all one word) dot com - and note that you are a random goon who is willing to subject themselves to Usability Testing.

*Note: one hour of time as measured by an outside observer. To the participant subjective time will be strange aeons that see an endless march of civilizations birthed and turned to dust. Untold numbers of lives flickering past. Worlds beyond counting blooming and wilting again and again. Until the stars themselves gutter out and the goon is left to scrabble across the cinders of the universe. Until time itself winds out and they are finally trapped in the last moment. Alone for the stretching eternity of closure. Alone save for that which has always been and always will be. That which has feasted on all those realms that came before. Alone with nowhere and nowhen further to flee to.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

nvining posted:

I was just over last weekend AAAUUGH. :smith: (Victoria)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

I could do screen sharing so that it SEEMS like I'm present. You could tape my picture to a chair and occasionally fart, it would be like I was right there to all of the senses.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There are plenty of times while sailing I can see Vancouver. Occasionally I get the pleasure of having a long wee in Canadian waters just to say I did. However without my passport I can't actually pull in and come say hi.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

nvining posted:

It could have been me! Should have been me!

(Except I moved to Ontario, the hell is wrong with me)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Are there any plans for dev streams in the near future/pre-release?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What sort of tutorial/guide is being included with the game?

nvining
May 30, 2011

David teaches us how to make a secret mushroom dish this week:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/05/pickle-that-fungus/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

David teaches us how to make a secret mushroom dish this week:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/05/pickle-that-fungus/

I know there's been a bunch of logistics chain stuff lately, but I find it pretty interesting, so thanks!

quote:

This is my life! (I didn’t even include the step where I run a lua script to write the icon & filter information to an xml file that the UI will actually read.)

Why not just have the UI read the lua directly? There seems to be a lot of XML being used as a configuration/data-description language floating around, and we all know where that leads. Ia! Ia!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So what needs to happen for a kitchen to be named a Sloppery? Insane builder? Unskilled chef?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tags posted:

you can't spell moonfungus without fun

You also can't spell it without "oonf", which is the noise you'll make when the flavor steamship runs aground in your mouth!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Dareon posted:

So what needs to happen for a kitchen to be named a Sloppery? Insane builder? Unskilled chef?

Insane builder or insane artisan chef running it. Watch out for those meat pies, gents.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nvining posted:

Will they getbe forced to keep all of their sundry organs?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

nvining posted:

Insane builder or insane artisan chef running it. Watch out for those meat pies, gents.

Particularly if the pie shop is next door to a barber?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Murgos posted:

Particularly if the pie shop is next door to a barber?

Goddamnit, now Pirelli's Miracle Elixir is stuck in my head. I hope you're happy.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

nvining posted:

I did this and it was pretty cool to see where they're at. Also how much Nicholas looks like his forums av, weird.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

lizzyinthesky posted:

Also how much Nicholas looks like his forums av, weird.

wait what

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Big beefy and with with rubbery nose. What's not to understand?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Big beefy and with with rubbery nose. What's not to understand?

Enormous, glistening yellow pectorals too. (I work out.)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Nothing in the groin area, though. That's why he designs games instead of working at Chippendales.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 7, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Should've put a cog on it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Poil posted:

Should've put a cog on it.

:golfclap:

Bit old, but I like that the stuff is being done through JSON. Hopeful for a metric ton of control. Control is key.

VVV I am ashamed. :ohdear:

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 7, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sky Shadowing posted:

:golfclap:

Bit old, but I like that the stuff is being done through JSON. Hopeful for a metric ton of control. Control is key.

nvining posted:

Also, it's about meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

nvining posted:

Enormous, glistening yellow pectorals too. (I work out.)

Bro, do you even diggle...

• Locked thread