Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

nvining posted:

You will want to read tomorrow's blog post.

That is all.

Are modelling a townsperson after a certain former bearded computer science professor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Is there going to be a Vancouver based release party when the game comes out? I might catch a boat over if there is. (and it's not staff only?) Been a while since I've been over there and I've been pimping the game pretty hard to a bunch of my friends.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

One lucky SomethingAwful user just wandered into our office and tested the game. It was not terrible.

If you are a *local* person in Vancouver who is willing to sacrifice about an hour of your time for Usability Testing NEXT WEEK please e-mail us at contact at (our company name) dot com - or me at [my first name].[my last name] at (our company name, all one word) dot com - and note that you are a random goon who is willing to subject themselves to Usability Testing.

(Golden Ticket Winners: You are not forgotten about.)

I was just over last weekend AAAUUGH. :smith: (Victoria)

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Do they draw lots or just eat the slowest first.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Daynab posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/26/so-that-happened/

Mostly a recap on GDC, but official confirmation that we will have a paid early access type of thing.
Also :siren: Daniel will be selling early access passes to Clockwork Empires from an unmarked Van cleverly hidden somewhere in East Vancouver,

I may have to send my boys after you.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

bladedsmoke posted:

The implication is also that Clockwork Empires is a bad game and a decent review means IGN had to be bribed. I agree, it was a tacky joke.

If you think that`s what that implied then you
a) are completely oblivious to the history of IGN and
b) probably aren't going to enjoy the humor in the game that you are "defending"

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have been giving approval to relay the following story. Sadly without the accompanying screen shot.

After some graphical errors I finally managed to get a game going. My patriotic colonists immediately constructed the carpentry workshop I had laid out for them. It was claimed by Overseer Bronzewaskowitz (probably not his name but it was long and dumb and bronzey) who devoted himself to his paperwork. He stayed in there for days doing paperwork, never sleeping and barely eating. But the problem with this particular Overseer claiming this workshop was that he had already claimed several Farms and that's where his minions worked. It upset me when I realized that my carpentry workshop was not producing the planks needed to build other buildings and once I figured out what I problem was I 'accidentally' set him on fire while he was deep in conversation with another Overseer. His companion screamed and fled as his smoldering corpse dropped to the ground.

But the grim darkness of Death was no match for his determination to finish his paperwork! He hauled his bones up and by goodness he plopped in front of the podium and administrated the hell out of that paperwork. I was not pleased by this defiance a thus I ordered him Squished by the mighty Finger of God. This time he stayed dead, probably because his paperwork was finished.

I waited for some time hoping that another Overseer would claim the shop but they were all too worried about the lack of food that they had begun to butcher each other's starved corpses. This would not do!

So the flaming apocalypse visited the colony. There were no survivors.

:black101:

Sounds good.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

They have animations as well. The task icon shows up to indicate a site at which a task is being, or will be, done.

Will these be quick toggle-able?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Garfu posted:

Check out Factorio in the meantime if you like these sorts of games.

Except Factorio is the complete opposite of CE. It's absolute control instead of outside control.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's still fun as hell.

It is, but I was actually considering pressing the report button(neener neener), because that guy has ~never posted~ in this thread before, and comes in and says "Here have a link to another game".

If it was someone who'd actually posted in here before, maybe.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Garfu posted:

I've followed this thread since it's inception. Sorry I have nothing to post about a game in pre-alpha closed testing.

And this post:

Is why I made my post. I thought it was relevant.

Fair enough. I had just woken up and was being a grumpy gently caress. We all like the same games here.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

Everybody on my list of victims should have gotten an e-mail: if you didn't get an e-mail from me, then we have a problem and I'll have to resend the e-mail.

For everybody else: see what lovely people these are? They are so lucky. Soon they will go into the pods. Those lucky, lucky people, in their beautiful fleshy new pods. It's so great to be living in the 1950's under Eisenhower.

I hope the next earthquake sinks your city. :argh:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I'm heading over to Vancouver in a couple weeks. Any chance I get to meet Willy Wonka?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

It's been long overdue, but I finally ordered a new video card primarily so I can run the game, my GTS 250 just can't quite do the job.

I've been making the same posts on Facebook concerning my GTX260. Are you ready to advance 5 generations, friendo?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

A bit sad to hear about abandoning the HD4000, I was hoping to be able to play on my girlfriend's laptop while on the ferry and such. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make due with playing at my desk.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

This keeps being something that people keep asking for enough that I suppose I need to buy Towns and take a look. (Also Rimworld, which has been sitting on my "hey, you should play this" list for ages.)

As far as minimum stock maintenance goes, the Workflow plugin for DF is my favourite. But that's a hell of a lot of work for you to check out if you aren't really balls deep in DF already.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Gaslamp, you are the ones who will save us.

Didn't the silicoids eat gems and quartz, not ferrous metals?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

By the way, we're on this "Quarter to Three" thing here this week:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/11/06/qt3-games-podcast-clockwork-empires-gaslamp-games/

(I haven't listened to it, it may be rubbish)

Have your offices flooded yet?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

Uh, should they have? So far, we haven't had any issues with water damage in the company's history (although my apartment's bathroom exploded last year)

Just making a joke about the rains + gastown.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Do you guys prefer Waves, Starbucks, or that other little hipster shop that's down there? Haven't lived over there for a couple years so it might not be there anymore.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

Randomly, we are getting into the seasonal spirit a bit by having The World's Smallest Steam Sale: Clockwork Empires is 10% off until January 2nd. (Dredmor is its usual 50% off, in case you know anybody who doesn't have it yet.)

The Canadian Parity sale. "Pretend our currency is worth the same as the greenback!"

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

Next update: Floridation in the Water Supply

How Long until the update where a section of the colony wants to split off but keep the currency and free travel between the old country and the new 'nation'?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Are there ever going to be any sort of "Victory conditions"? Like waging eldritch war and successfully (and forcefully) converting the motherland (even offscreen).

Or is it still just a sandbox only affair for now?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

Hey, what are some games that have placement tools for buildings/objects/whatever that people really like?

Dwarf Fortress. :colbert:

Edit: on a slightly more serious note, I can't recall anything bad to say about the placement in Banished but that could be because I played for like 2 weeks and then didn't touch it again when he was obviously more concerned with porting it to as many platforms as possible than adding content.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 5, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

nvining could you tell me, perhaps, what is wrong in this image?

Class and Race mixing?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

aerion111 posted:

Whiny bullshit about sucking

DF:Shut off harder farming on masterwork if you're too bad to play with it.
Towns: is bad.
Banished: They don't move out until you build more houses. Banished is also bad and may as well be considered an abandoned project as he's too busy porting his skeletal game to make more money than to actually add content.
Prison Architect: Learn to play

Have you considered SimTown?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I know it's a long way off, but have you guys been filing other ideas away for what comes after this, however long release and support take, or are you still sitting at the point where the noose in the closet is looking a little more inviting every day and can't wait to get a break of however long after this is done?

Not actually asking for what those ideas are, just if you have another thing in mind x years from now?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

nvining posted:

Alpha 47A has just hit Steam, complete with Science Laboratories and Research Trees, all Master of Orion-style.

Orion 1, 2, or 3?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Why would you bother reporting a nondescript bug like that without at least taking a screenshot?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Lorini posted:

Banished does it, Gnomoria does it, pretty sure Rimworld does it. I realize that none of these games are Clockwork Empires, and perhaps they cannot speed up their game without re-writing it from the ground up. I'm saying that the game takes way longer in literal time to develop than those games do.

The Banished AI can't put out a fire or loving feed itself properly, so I don't think it's going to take much of a hit when you speed it up.

Also I don't know what world you live in, but Banished takes way too long to get anywhere, and when it finally gets somewhere it's basically gone nowhere. If you think the speed of that is fine but this isn't then your pants might be on your head.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I've sixty or so in banished and I'll call it loving terrible as a game. As a tech demo I'd say it's swell.

It's a hollow shell that was promised content, but then he realized he could leave that to the modders and move on to porting it to new markets with no knowledge of the game and full pockets.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

senae posted:

This is super far from the truth, actually. He released it feature complete with no intention to continue adding stuff, and then when people started asking him to add modding support, he did. Might just be that you don't like the game?

It's about as feature complete as star drive

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Banished is a good game, actually

I bet you liked Simcity2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Zaardvark posted:

Hey, maybe someone who knows how the SA forums work can explain something for me:

Generally speaking, the various SA forums and sub-forums are inaccessible unless you've a registered user. However, periodically, some forums will become publicly available for some random duration. That's the case with this forum now - while usually not accessible to non-members, it's currently viewable to everybody (I recently cleared out my cookies and cache, obliging me to re-enter logins and passwords everywhere). What determines when and how that happens? Just curious.

I've always believed that paywall was designed to randomly rotate through a selection of the subforums (obviously never things like E/N and private game servers) as a way of letting people see the content and getting :10bux: out of them.

• Locked thread