Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I greatly look forward to stealing ideas for a Victoria 2 steampunk DLC checking this out.

If Victoria 2 was easier to mod I would convert it to an Alpha Centuari game. Paradox should make a space 4x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Oi! You! Git! There's an uninitialized variable on line 27 of dickbutts.rb! Maybe you ought to learn how to spell, if you're not too busy jerking off!

So it's like using the SA forums?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love how this genre is evolving, even for DF a bunch of modders have been working on techs like robots and automatic defences but Toady hasn't been very good at making stuff like this easy.

Has anyone played The Guild? There were two games in the series along with a pirates expansion and while the game was pretty complicated and buggy I had a lot of fun with it. You could run various businesses, get married and educate your children etc. One of my favorites was creating a crime family in a major city and put pickpockets everywhere, then strongarm myself into the gold mines with my ill gotten gains. It also had legitimate business but crafting was way too complicated and setting up chains was a pain in the arse.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want this game to be open to random poo poo like in Space Station 13, that game is so incredibly brilliant.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Depending on how much freedom individual people in your town has, it would be nice if you had a bunch of mad inventors that will build crazy inventions and herbalists that will freely experiment with whatever they have available. So you'd be encouraged to scout far and wide to find the rarest and most exotic herbs and artifacts for your guys to experiment on. Add a somewhat randomized system for what inventions require what for each game and there's a recipe for success, the inventor then takes a patent and you can start mass producing whatever crazyness he came up with like, I dunno, a mechanized grabber for picking apples.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sweet, the more shenanigans the better. How about modding behaviours and adding features?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but I think this ties into something I've been thinking about - buildings in your settlement having 'slots' that you can slot various things into which impact the building's output in some way, like increasing output speed in return for increasing power demand or increasing quantity of output per time unit in exchange for a slightly-out-of-proportion increase in input requirements or something. Most things would be generic items like "High-quality factory gearbox" or whatever which you could buy from the mainland or manufacture locally, with 'special' slotted things either being Eldritch Artifacts From Out Of Time or things made by madmen. Special items would all do Fun™ things with Fun™ consequences, like a brickworks getting an obelisk that allows it to take pigs as input for construction materials, except all buildings built with materials from it are now 10% more insanity inducing.

Manufacture of special items could also tie into something I mentioned earlier in the thread - most production being abstracted production of generic items, Anno-style, but with the option to order specific items. So you might have your machinist factory manufacturing L-joint widdershins widgets for use by the general populous, and you can order it to make some bit that'll improve your factories - except its usual work is slowed/stopped while doing so.

Slotted items could just be a generic set for most factories so that equipment can be swapped around while some other buildings might have their own set, like the Constable might have slots to give the local lawmen special laserguns or something.

Have you played The Guild? I thought it had a few cool features that could be applicable to this game. For example lots of NPC's own various buildings and use them to produce a bunch of goods that go to market. If this system was added to the game but solely in the hands of NPC's it could create a fun style of gameplay where various factions in your settlement interact and if done well it would create an actual economy between your citizens.

The player's responsibility would be to zone areas and sponsor new constructions, while NPC's will actually do stuff alone as well. That mine you didn't develop because you're afraid it might contain hidden dangers? Well one of those silly immigrants that just arrived decided to establish it, and now all his workers have been bitten by dickwolves.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Private industries in a city builder? :stonk:

It's less SimCity and more Dwarf Fortress, independent actors are a core feature.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

Not character slots - more like a slot at the police HQ that lets you adjust, say, what the standard weapon your constables come equipped with.

Perhaps use it as an indicator of threat or level of repression going on. Are your constables wearing batons? Well that's fairly standard, they'll do their job effectively. Is a subversive cult trying to summon Cthulhu? Give them pistols by increasing the security level, this makes people a little scared because they'll be knocking down their doors and performing "searches", but they'll be better equipped to take care of pesky cultists and drowned zombies.

Have a similar system for the army. The colonial militia only need flintlock rifles, but if you're sufficiently large and seeing large packs of roaming monsters you can elevate the level of preparedness which lets them use machine guns and armored vehicles.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I'm trying to compile a list of my favorite Dwarf Fortress / roguelike features that I think could make fun additions to a game like this. There's a lot of themes to cover and I absolutely love the lovecraftian steampunk angle that the devs have been pushing. I've also been playing more Minecraft lately (seriously, you can do some crazy poo poo with all the new mods for this thing) which has some good machines.

So what makes DF fun? Well it's all the random poo poo that can happen, losing is fun and there should at least be a game mode that will coontinually throw bigger and bigger obstacles at the player every time he reaches a threshold. Now the danger here is by making thresholds definite things. The player should not be able to "pause" the games progression by simply not building that new tool shed, or upgrading the blacksmith and not getting a higher tier enemy because of that. Instead the game should track certain things like DF does, wealth created, exports, population and so forth. So the player is always challenged to increase his tech and production base in order to keep up with the hostile wildlife and various societal challenges that present themselves.

We've been talking about Evil Genius as well, the game had a lot of great ideas that failed on execution. But it would be nice to have certain classes of people that invoke fear or admiration in the general populace. A hardened officer will inspire his men to greater glory, and a rich plantation owner will inspire fear in his workers so when they spot him they work harder (will the game have slavery?) Landmarks like statues or monuments could have similar effects.

Making the pipe systems simple to use but with the possibility for some crazy elaborate poo poo would be cool as well. It should be possible to optimize efficiency by letting the mine pipe coal and iron to the smeltery directly as a matter of course. But the ability to construct machinery that automatically sorts and distributes the products to relevant storehouses and industries would be something that should require massive effort and planning, but actually be possible for advanced players. We've seen crazy poo poo like minecart systems in DF and matter converters in minecraft.

Honestly the devs should just get the Technik mod pack for minecraft and gently caress around, there are so many things in that that could be raided for cool features.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

They did. Its in the blog post about pipes/cogs. Something about how its a crazy mass of pipes and "This is enthralling, send help." :unsmigghh:

Awesome.

I just realized the game is also going to need a toxic byproduct of the factory processes that can be conveniently disposed of in rivers. Improving wildlife and flora downstream into new and interesting forms.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm willing to build a diggle monument ingame entirely from pipes and crocodile skin. You can't possibly succeed comercially without this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I want to talk about factories. From what I've read on the blog it looks like pipes are possibly going to be a major feature and this fills me with joy. I've been playing a lot of minecraft lately with various mods, and I have been building increasingly elaborate and complex machinery interacting with itself over several lines of production.

Here's an example of an automated macerator setup in minecraft:

From the right you can see a chest which is where you input your ores, the next item is a pneumatic engine that moves the blocks into the orange pipe and places them in the white macerator machines. They run on electricity provided by the solar panels at the top and the green/blue boxes are more engines powering the output pipe which move the grinded ore dust into another chest. From there you could easily have an identical setup with furnaces instead of macerators and finish with refined metal.

Building these things are awesome because you're rewarded for efficient designs, having this in Clockwork Empires where you are able to fully automate production lines by having products moved into relevant industries through powered pipe networks instead of manual hauling would let the player save manpower for even more factories. Obviously you still need people in the factories but they could also work the farms or mines to provide more raw materials for your automated industries.

Another game that focuses on these aspects is Factorio, which does the same only on a larger scope:

I'm envisioning something similar to Factorio in Clockwork Empires, but I also realise the whole pipe idea might be scrapped entirely. Basically what I would like to see is options. Options to focus your industries and manpower in certain directions, you could even have different tech tree's with various tradeoffs to play into the themes of occult magic and steampunk science.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 10, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hosed around with Thaumcraft 3 (I know, I'm bringing up Minecraft a lot) and I absolutely adore the magical bullshit it has. When a spell is cast, any excess essence that isn't used in the spell goes into the atmosphere as flux and pollutes it. Too much flux and bad poo poo happens. Make this a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, you don't unlock the goggles that let you actually see your flux pollution levels until you're into tier 2. Which is great because you might craft them and go "OH poo poo THAT'S A LOT OF FLUX!", but you couldn't tell. So now you have to move halfway across the world or get murdered by angry magical byproducts.

The idea of unintended and unknowable consequences is great, because it adds an element of risk to experimenting with arcane mechanisms. I brought up earlier in the thread that I'd love for the technology tree to be randomized, so that you won't have a pre-set path every game. I need X to get Y so I'll do B first. One game you might never see a specific technology and I'd love for this to be brought over to magic. You spent the first 3 hours of your game mucking about with some magic and later on your knowledge lets you read the local conditions better and you figure out that you've actually got an infestation of magical flesh termites. But the path that let you to get to that point might cause flying pigs in your next game.

Randomized tech's is a proven and effective feature and was actually one of the best features of Sword of the Stars. Dungeons of Dredmor used it in the way that recipes were always the same, but you couldn't make the things without having it. So you could stockpile the materials but it wasn't assured you'd find the plans to make your Ron Paul Axe or whatever.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Even if combat is restricted to fighting off monsters or whatever I'll be perfectly happy. In fact I'd love for it to center around trench warfare and all I'd have to do is build an elaborate network of trenches surrounding my town and natural chokepoints.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Everything I need to know about the nobility I learned from Dwarf Fortress :colbert: I fully endorse rear end in a top hat nobles who will do anything, including summoning Cthulu, if it means they get to brag about it at the next mask ball.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ideally nobles are the only ones capable of doing research, because they have the time and money to do so. Everyone else is part of the oppressed masses slaving for their British overlords. I suppose we could tolerate a piddly middle class for the overseer's but only if I have the choice to give them whips.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Volmarias posted:

That's a good point. Research at this time was generally done by those who had enough time and money to do it; there were (effectively) no paid research positions.

You could have nobles that are assholes but who also make advances in the useful arts.

A trait system could come into play. You could have eccentric geniuses, sycophants and sociopathic nutjobs. I'm basically thinking most of the traits in Crusader Kings 2 that have real noticeable effects on their behaviour. So that noble might be a greedy and arbitrary asshat with dreams of world domination, but he's also the only competent Thaumeturge in your colony so you tolerate his lust for power while he's still useful.

Edit: I also just backed Stonehearth which looks wonderfully similar and I can't wait for this market to be saturated :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can you design the buildings themselves? Or are they all preset sizes?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

Is this... something people actually want to see? I don't think we actually do anything that interesting in the office. Other than "Today's Prize."

Any gameplay footage that isn't a pre-prepared trailer release is highly welcome. It's still in your best interest to show off quality but games like Factorio or Prison Architect come to mind as games that have poorly realised graphics (as I assume CE is still at that stage) while having excellent gameplay already. And since the gameplay is the most important factor to me at least I'd love a stream that just fucks around and plays the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

monkay posted:

First off, I just want to say I have been following this game ever since I read about it in PC gamer. Checking every day for a new dev post.

With that out of the way, I had a question about citizen interaction. So, in one of your stories, two people got married, and that left the question, will there be other types of relationships? Can two people become close friends, or bitter enemies? This may seem like a mundane question, but keeping track of relationships would be difficult, right? Right? I just thought it would be cool to have two guys duke it out in the street because of the one thing he said that one time.

It would be pretty funny if a particularly lusty nobleman contracted syphilis and infected all the whores in my town as well as several noble ladies.

Also, I want monsters to infiltrate your citizenry. Vampire nobles, body snatchers and haunted houses go!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly most of your effort should go into building a framework that functions well with easy modding tools available to the community. You look at games like Crusader Kings 2, Dwarf Fortress and the older Total War games and you see a huge community built around total conversions. Crusader Kings has the Game of Thrones mod which is basically an entire game on its own and I know a lot of people who bought the game on that basis alone.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you give up some creative control by letting the community mod the poo poo out of your game you'll retain replay value and you can release DLC down the line that expand the scope of the game and flesh out other features. Crusader Kings has 3 major expansions so far that fleshed out Muslim rulers, Republics and pagans that are complete game changers and contain unique mechanics for each playstyle.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What is the plan for biomes? Sandy beaches? Old snowy forests? Jungles? Deserts? Undead wastelands?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

We've heard about colonists having moods and relationships and things, but I've been wondering, do they age? Will anyone live long enough to die of non-unnatural causes? Do they have children, who can then grow up to while laboring in the bauxite mines?

Child labor should be a thing :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Of course it does.

It's not like we're advocating putting orphans in the meat factory so we can sell unique and tasty meat pies to the nobility.

We call that Mystery Meat. I reckon that won't make it in, but it would be nice if I could mod in child labour. I realise that's probably not in Gaslamp's interest but I want this game to by as dystopian as possible.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

I could see child labor as some kind of background toggle "turning this on will make your factories x% faster while increasing citizen unhappiness by y", and also under some kind of euphemistic victorian name like "Early Youth Mandatory Apprenticeship Program".

Perhaps reducing life expectancy. In return you get skilled workers when they come into adulthood, a man who's worked in the smeltery since he was five is likely to know his way around.

Apprenticeships were common and it'd be nice to see some real life parallels into life during the industrial revolution, even if it's totally not PC.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Most of the holiday weeks in my country are based on when farms needed their kids at home to help with planting or harvesting. We mandated public schooling more than a century ago which took kids out of the sweatshops, but gosh darn it they still had to help out when harvest time came because that's just how things were.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

This is why we at Gaslamp Games can't do market research any more.

Do you at Gaslamp Games think X idea is too crazy and Y far too politically incorrect or racist? Make it worse! Don't shy away from controversy! Mystery meat and Aztec sacrifices ahoy, bring your daughter to work in the asbestos mines day!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Targeted serial killings would be fun. A lumberjack really loving hates his overseer and this becomes distilled into a great hatred for the upper classes. When a demon whispers in his ears from the haunted ground behind his hovel, he begins sacrificing the children of the aristocracy.

Edit: That actually reminds me, are children going to be invulnerable like they are in so many games? Or are you just not going to have them around and go solely by importing grown up immigrants?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope pipes will have pressure. So I have to toss up pumping stations along the way to keep the water flowing, necessitating I power them with more steam furnaces. Which needs more wood and water, which needs more.... Basically I want a clusterfuck of pipes and confusingly random planning. This won't be a pretty grid city like New York, oh no, this will be medieval Paris.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

Clockwork Empires: Opium Farmer Simulation 1881 and some stuff about Empires

I'm sold :getin:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost: histories!

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/09/18/what-have-you-done-or-terrible-histories/

I feel like there is icon fodder here. BEDS! FOOD!

Out of curiosity, what's your rate of progress? I know creating games is a long and complicated process, but I suspect that's why you're focusing on gameplay over fancy graphics. What's the development timeline for a game like this?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hoo boy! I bought Dominions 4 the other day and I've been hitting it hard, coming up with fun and weird strategies for success. It suddenly struck me that everything in Dominions 4 is perfect for some kind of conversion mod if CE will support it. I want a kingdom of Illithid mindslaves, an Empire of the undead and a lizard tribe of blood mages :v:

There's just so much weird poo poo in that game and it's wonderful.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

I know my "Steampunk Carolinas" post was extremely self indulgent, but the idea that a marshy river land was a site of not insignificant mining and industry still perplexes me. Here's hoping you take a look at some more unorthodox mining sites.

Plus, I saw the discussion about artic biomes on the forums and I have to agree with the posts there. What's more important in snowy environments is resource scarcity and weathering the elements, not dynamic snow piling and shoveling. Maybe have agriculture unfeasible most of the year, colonists less likely to come, but preserved food last longer and the Empire is more willing to give you better deals in trade as well as monthly rations to support your expedition to find the *ahem* Structure. Just keep up the Appearance of A Perfectly Unsuspicious Colony.

And hunting. I really dig the idea of an arctic wasteland as a challenge map, where you really have to scrounge and lose lots of citizens by attrition as you desperately try and get some kind of economy going so you can purchase food by sea. Pelts and skins would be the obvious starting point, with wolves providing the risk, and perhaps transitioning to gold mines or fishery docks later on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

There's a very important tidbit in there that I strongly approve of - if your settlement has no beds but does have buildings, people will sleep in them even if the building isn't something you'd normally think of as an appropriate place to sleep.

That's something I like a lot and which should make the very beginning of a settlement a bit easier, since you might skip building a bunkhouse while you get resource production/processing up since people can sleep in the brickworks or whatever.

Chinese factory conditions. Workers sleep beside the still active machinery for maximum restfulness.

Admiral Funk posted:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's freaked out by babies.

Also if we can't get half-human half-frog babies, we should at least be able to have half-human half-fishman babies. They wouldn't be able to breath under water but on the plus side they'd look really stupid. :downs:

Construct some bathing pools by the coastline. Women may enter and hope to be impregnated by a Deep One :getin:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For those interested, Sunless Sea is another game that got successfully kickstartet the other day which is also set in a lovecraftian setting.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

Magic door.

You know what I miss? The multi Z-level maps of Civilization 2: Test of Time. You know you want to make this happen!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Not gonna lie, the little surprised noise that the dwarf makes at the end followed up by the calm guitar noodling that plays in the background of the game is more or less perfect.

Lets just hope the game doesn't end up with the same dev cycle :v:

I'm really hoping Gaslamp make the game extremely open to adding more features. I'd love to eventually see an underground map, perhaps as an addition to the regular world map. This would have the extra benefit of having some map scenarios where the topside world is an arctic wasteland where a colony immediately heads underground to scrape out a living before colonizing the surface again later.

And of course mutants, monsters, ghosts and extra-dimensional beings. I don't expect any of this on release mind you, since I'm fairly certain what is released is going to be a robust and entertaining city builder, but it would be amazing to have these things built on later. Basically I'm envisioning something like Don't Starve where cool features like the cave map is added on later once the core game is good and ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Requested_Username posted:

Hey guys can you please make a game that's basically Sim City 4 combined with Dwarf Fortress combined with Minecraft combined with Diablo? As a Video Games Ideas Guy this seems like a flawless plan to make tons of money

What we need is a modern remake of Alien Legacy!

• Locked thread