Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chewbot posted:

One time while working at BioWare I made a comment on Something Awful and got in trouble for not getting it approved first.

So, what, it's Bioware policy you can only post unapproved comments on BSN? Because if some of those were approved :stare:

also I'm gonna go with you on this.

Recommendation 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's an MMO, so I bet it's really focused on grinding for 45 hours to get a rare wookiee pelt +3 to toughness, actually.

perhaps that's too literal an interpretation of focus? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

whowhatwhere posted:

Man, I was kinda hoping for a Male Sith Warrior LP because of a specific romance questline. Since that's not going to happen I've got no preference.

And I kinda hope you get hit by a bus!

there is no reason to "hope" for that. ever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe that's correct. Lucas basically doesn't give a poo poo about what other people do in SW, he'll ignore it if he feels like it because his position is "only the movies count, and if there's a discrepancy they trump." Only very rarely do things from the EU make it into the films (I believe Zahn's creation of Coruscant is the best example)

From what I've read of Lucas in interviews he's actually pretty chill about it. Just like "hey there's my films, then there's everything else, and I only control the films so that's all I care about [re: canon]" and then he goes on to not discuss how swimming in a vault of money is pretty awesome.

Bioware, however, were the ones to basically ignore KOTOR2.

if you really want to go down that rabbit hole, the official Star Wars wikia has a long article on canon policy.

I suggest not doing it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 31, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I am liking the fact that this thread has now spawned a bunch of sub-LPs.

Moon Slayer, if you don't want to maintain individual TOCs for every one in the second post, you could do this:

laziness pays off, you know!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

Other than that, maybe have small OOC sections where you talk about/describe the new abilities you get as you level up? Unless you don't want to break narrative for those. Might be nice to show the character sheet as well, for those who've never played the game.

This is my take, as well. See, with luck, this thread will grind out any potential interest in playing this game when it goes f2p, so I'm counting on you to make sure I don't want to :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lamadar this is something you may want to consider -- if you have two or three lines from the same character you could just have one headshot, then "here's everything they said" instead of repeating the headshot per line.

Might help cut things down a bit.
like, say, this:
[headshot]: If what he said was true, he's already nixed some other competitors.
[headshot]: Tarro Blood barely survived elimination from the Great Hunt last time. He was out on his back for years. Major squash, you know?
[headshot]: If Blood's determined to win the Great Hunt, our best bet of catching up to him is getting you into that competition.

Into:
[headshot]: If what he said was true, he's already nixed some other competitors. Tarro Blood barely survived elimination from the Great Hunt last time. He was out on his back for years. Major squash, you know? If Blood's determined to win the Great Hunt, our best bet of catching up to him is getting you into that competition.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rinkles posted:

This is relevant to me because I've just leveled a chiss bounty hunter to lvl 15 with a trial account, and would rather not lose that progress (it's unclear whether trial accounts will be fully wiped during the transition to F2P)

I think this answers your question:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6481

I was reading their F2P FAQ the other day deciding if this would be worth the HD space. I'm thinkin ... this LP is a better use of my time :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Some sort of even-more-creepy romance related thing. Calling it now. :tinfoil:

It's Poptarts ... I'm reasonably sure he'll try and handle it as tastefully as possible.

or, you know, we can burn him at the stake. whatever. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have so much more respect for everyone willing to do character LPs now. You have to suffer through that poo poo. :stonk:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have to say, Moon Slayer, that bit about hutt palace architecture killed me. This game's codex may as well be "revisionist lampshade hanging 101: worse than Enterprise edition"

I mean it's something of rock and hard place, as in if you make stuff look straight out of the movies people will rightly complain about carbon copying something from 4000 in-universe years later, but if you don't people will :goonsay: the utter hell out of how THE MOVIES CLEARLY STATE, IN MY CANON, FOR EXAMPLE, and that's no good either.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Ok, I'll be shutting up then :)

Just pop on over to the SWTOR wiki and spoil yourself on everything.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Another six months of polish and management willing to let the artists do their jobs would've done the game wonders, but it does have its moments.

While you're at it, ask for like fifty billion million dollars because I'm sure TOR was (is) still so far in the red it's starting to affect astrophysics.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hahaha this codex entry:

quote:

In the millennia before the founding of the Republic, humans had not yet developed spaceflight. One human population–perhaps the only one–was confined to Coruscant, divided into thirteen tribes.

Thirteen tribes. Now where have I heard this before ...

quote:

This nearly proved disastrous when a volcanic eruption caused a near-extinction event, wiping out a large percentage of human life.

quote:

This made the humans easy prey for the Taung, a gray-skinned species that reveled in battle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

....that makes it even worse

:negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ah, space racism. The finest of topics. I'm sure Bioware will handle such a sensitive topic with their usual deft hand, consciously aware of how to approach delicate matters.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gothsheep posted:

Of course by that logic every bad choice should be a dark side one, and I'd kind of wonder how an empire built on people who make very bad decisions could be so successful.

Cythereal posted:

Because Bioware is really schizophrenic about the Empire. On the one hand, they try to say that the Empire isn't necessarily evil, that they're just different from the Republic and there's a lot that common people admire about the Empire. Then they have the Empire routinely blow up kitten factories and cackle about it in the actual game.

This isn't really just a Bioware problem -- it's a problem endemic to the entire concept of Empire vs Republic / Darkside vs Lightside in the entirety of Star Wars, and also forms the central reason why a very vocal group of fans absolutely loves KOTOR2, because it took this problem head-on.

ps: KOTOR2 owns

If you'll allow me to digress, for making a movie, or even a trilogy of movies, or something crazy like two thirds of a trilogy of trilogies of movies, it doesn't really matter. For the purposes of the films, the Empire IS bad. The Dark Side of the force, as personified by Vader and The Emperor, is bad. There's neither time nor really a point in trying to make them anything other than The Bad Guys because, well, they are the bad guys. Antagonists, evil, the lot. Problems like "what if everyone in the Empire were like these two" aren't relevant - you aren't seeing everyone in the Empire so it doesn't matter. You're seeing main characters and main antagonists in a film.

The thematic use of the Empire as antagonists in a film is fine, because it's from the point of view of our plucky Rebel heroes. The problem is trying for that in the EU, specifically, the EU where you can play on both sides. TOR fails - like most Star Wars stuff trying to depict both - by trying to represent two 'moralities' at once. They want to keep the comfortable, familiar layout of Our Plucky Rebel Heroes and The Evil Sith Empire, because that's what the films did to define protagonist/heros and antagonists/villains. But they're also trying to let you be sympathetic to both sides because they're both playable. Well, uh, the problem is it's very hard to write two compelling arguments that your heroes are actually their villains and vice versa, especially when the morality in the films is pretty much very explicit that one side is Good, period, and one side is Bad, period.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 22, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

stop catching my quotes before I edit them down to be slightly less wordy :v:

It is true, they could've just said "nope, Empire is evil, you stick with em, you're evil, Get Over It" and "Republic is Good, you stick with em, you're a goody two shoes" and given the player the choice of defection or not ... but honestly that's kinda boring. I do appreciate that TOR tried. I don't think it succeeded, but it's also very hard to succeed at generating moral grey in a black and white universe.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

Seeing a Darksaber reference in this thread made my day, Poptartsninja :neckbeard:

Nothing good ever comes of Darksaber references.

Or Darksaber.

eugh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Laradus posted:

IIRC (apologies if i'm wrong) you have to flirt with him 3 times, and by the third he's already agreed to keep your secret for free, so it's purely the player pushing to sex him up.

Bioware does have some extemely odd/creepy/wtf relationships/options, but to me this one is the players fault.

Offering the option explicitly gives some of the fault to Bioware, though. Like ... most.

e: also are there any romance lines in this game which aren't godawful? Like ones which might do something for the characters beyond "let's get our bone on after several awkward conversations?"

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 30, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well it's not like I can demand you all do my bidding (I am not a sith lord with space bear-asses to be collected) but I think this quad-imperial run and then after they all finish up a quad-republic run would kinda own.

make this the SWTOR megathread to end all megathreads!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

and pngs would be best for bringing all that quality out (Ord Mantell's terrible, though), so it's your call.

This is not how image formats work.

this is old, but still completely correct.

http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/

For example, let's take these two. Spot the differences:

The main difference? 668KB vs 156KB. Multiply that by an average update and, well.

Or:

461 vs 98.

These are just straight conversions to JPEG save-for-web/qual75; I'm not even trying to optimize. Which means, yes, I could probably make these comparisons even more lopsided. In conclusion why are you all using PNG for huge screenshots making the page load five times as slowly as it needs to goddamn :psyduck:

for the little dialogue headshots who cares, but the big screenshots? ummmm

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 2, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

My computer refuses to save a .jpeg without artifacting to hell even on uncompressed ones. I've tried with GIMP, IRFANVIEW, and just for kicks saving from a .jpeg to a .jpeg and every time it turns into a garbled mess. It's actually best / least noticeable when I save with MSPaint for some reason :psyduck:

The only (free) thing I haven't tried yet is Paint Plus, but I'm not certain it'll make a difference. Also, waiting on a new page for my next update.

I don't even want to know what you've done to your computer that it cannot handle a JPEG. Try paint.NET?

Capturing in PNG is a great idea, because it's lossless, but four people posting like eight megabytes of png per update is just ludicrous.

Catsworth posted:

Well that's both fair and enlightening so I will switch to JPEGs! :buddy:

Let Poptarts be your warning: not all JPEG compressors are made equal. MSPaint's is awful, for example, since there's no quality slider so it's usually set to "rear end." The Tech Support Fort has some good guides on Irfanview which is free and popular. I use Photoshop because I've been using Photoshop for far, far too long and am a tool of the man. GIMP has an even worse user interface than Photoshop - which is quite an achievement - but is also very capable once you get your brain around it. Again, see the TSF.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not that my compy can't handle them. It's just that I can see the artifacting and it bothers me. I'm not even sure anyone else would notice.

Or something's gone corrupt on me, but since everything else works I'm probably just being too picky.

This seems likely.

Still, it's not like PNG doesn't have its place - you're never forced to use all one format. For some really text-heavy screenshot (I dunno, maybe TOR has hot datapad action) sure hit that sucker with a PNG.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

This would be the part where I chime in and say that Kotor 2's antagonist is bullshit and exists only so that the head writer can lecture at you. It was an interesting lecture, but her betrayal was so obvious and your character's obliviousness so forced that I wanted to kill her hours before I was supposed to want to kill her.

I'm assuming you've seen the (GDC?) presentation where he basically clicks to a slide that reads KOTOR 2 and says "so, I basically hate Star Wars..."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Urgh, don't remind me of that. I stopped reading at the time of the bug orgies so I get to pretend everything else never happened.

Mortiferous is a Sith Sith who one day hopes to become one of the Dark Lords of the Sith.

And command the Sixth Fleet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Apparently using JPEG warps Poptarts' brain.

I assume he clipped a line of dialogue where Mort dropped a super wicked burn and made the guy realize he was being used as a fall guy or something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Having seen some youtube footage of Vette, it also comes across a lot less terribly in text than having to listen to it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

What the hell did I just watch? When did this turn into Rebel Assault :confused:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I really don't like the black core crystals. I've always felt they just look bad in motion.

I remember some KOTOR or KOTOR 2 mod where you could pick all sorts of disgusting saber colors. Ugh.

The only one I ever thought was worth it was one which just made the blade longer. You'd think a longsaber (that was its name, I think) would just be silly but it really worked for the visuals of saber combat in KOTOR.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

whowhatwhere posted:

Is there anything in the game you'd give more than a 4/5?

The uninstaller.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaodai posted:

Nope, it has a tendency to crash halfway through and leave a bunch of garbage behind on your system. I'd actually use a third party uninstaller (like Revo Uninstaller) for getting rid of it.

:ughh:

I shouldn't be surprised at this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

wiegieman posted:

As is necessary in all empires, a promotion comes with bigger pauldrons.

Pretty sure Zash just needs to install another two or so wingpauldrons and then she can fly around town by jumping off balconies.

e: Lock pauldrons in attack position

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 12, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just can't take Tarro Blood seriously with that name and that hair. Hahahaha.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Ever since you guys switched over to jpegs, I haven't really had problems with loading. I think 3 jpeg updates per page are fine.

Haha! Vindicated.

Also, insofar as ship design goes, look at the ships in Episodes II and III and compare to IV-VI ... it's pretty obvious Lucas did the same thing TOR did.

The problem is, it's a lot more believable in an "in-universe" gap of 20 years for them to be so similar whereas 3000 or whatever is a bit dicier. But again, this is something of a no-win for Bioware. They either pander to what people Expect Star Wars To Be or they have legions of canon-obsessed 501st members ranting on the TOR forums.

At least they've established "ships from Sienar look like this and ships from Corellian Engineering look like this" so they're all stealing from the same basic archetypes but at least there are several archetypes to take.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 15, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gothsheep posted:

Lord Zash has been an excellent role model so far for us, so let's keep that in mind.

Manipulate both sides, convince them both you're in their corner while secretly playing them against each other, and then betray them both.

Someone here understands how it's done as a Sith, and that someone is Gothsheep.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Two squads of the Republic's finest stupid helmets, I see.

Toucan Squad, attackkkkk~

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

While I won't blame poptartsninja for balking at Alderaan, I am going to insist that someone covers it. Because if it's anything like I'm afraid it's like (Dark Nest Trilogy...:smithicide:), then it's something the LP needs to share.

more like Darksaber except Poptarts already made that joke. Hmm ... Centerpoint trilogy :getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

So the chief bad guy gets piss-drunk, an autistic child saves the day, and the highlight is fighting an otter person?

How bad can that be? :v:

This post proves how well I mentally filtered out knowledge of Centerpoint. All I remember is it involved a space station and a huge amount of utter bullshit. These details? Meaningless.

now if I could just similarly purge all knowledge of Kevin J. Anderson's entire existence...

Moon Slayer posted:

Did he say what the name of this MMO is because I'd like to play it.

:drat:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 18, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Apparently they've released a lot more details on F2P; from what I can tell F2P isn't gonna let you do much of an LP in any reasonable timeframe. It's pay or wait, as I think we all expected, but ... wow.

"Buy a license to equip purples" is my favorite.

e: wait I missed it. Pay to sprint. ahahahahah.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

I mean maybe someone who's played this can tell me but it seems like from this thread TOR is a game full of arbitrary fetch quests and waiting and repeating quests and grinding. With this thing having a 3 missions of each type/week restriction, you're going to do all of the above at 10% the speed.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash posted:

Haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if there's already been discussion about this, but wouldn't following eight stories in the same thread be pushing the boundary of readability? Not to mention if someone only ends up enjoying a couple of them it'll cut down the signal-to-noise ratio. I'd assume making an Imperial thread (this one) and a Republic thread (another one) wouldn't be intolerable, and you could always ask the mods.

there has been and I don't think anyone has disagreed with the idea that eight in one thread would be absurdity so it's either new thread now or wait until the four Imperial ones are done.

but :iiam:

• Locked thread