Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
I'm kind of disappointed with how this whole Greenlight thing turned out. For one everyone seems to have missed the point and just keep screaming "PLZ ADD HALO GABE NULL AND GET MOJAG TO ADD MINECRAFT". The game selection itself is comprised of Minecraft clones, generic platformers, zombie game #59,789, and RPG Maker games.

Also people keep submitting Half-Life 3 because that's totally going to make Valve release it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

LordAndrew posted:

I'm kind of disappointed with how this whole Greenlight thing turned out. For one everyone seems to have missed the point and just keep screaming "PLZ ADD HALO GABE NULL AND GET MOJAG TO ADD MINECRAFT". The game selection itself is comprised of Minecraft clones, generic platformers, zombie game #59,789, and RPG Maker games.

Also people keep submitting Half-Life 3 because that's totally going to make Valve release it tomorrow.

I've been dreading Greenlight because this was obviously how it was going to turn out :( It's going to add a ton of white noise to the indie community and make dealing with developers insufferable.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93001822&searchtext=la+mulana

La Mulana appears to be up for voting.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

LordAndrew posted:

The game selection itself is comprised of Minecraft clones, generic platformers, zombie game #59,789, and RPG Maker games.

Don't forget the anime bullshit!

Uck.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

LordAndrew posted:

Really, were you anticipating any other outcome than this?

The only thing that sucks are the stupid joke entries because it's like "oh haha gabe is fat get it :geno:" since apparently everyone thinks it's hi-larious and hasn't been submitted a dozen times already.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

But there is also rough gem in there. There is quality and hope. It just,like everything, you have to go through an ocean of crap. Don't forget that this thing has been going on in private between them and valve but now it's out on the open and with 200+ title if you don't have a few screenshot an a video with your document you are just wasting everybody time.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Al! posted:

Someone please tell me what the gently caress is going on in this screenshot.

Looks like soldat

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Holy poo poo, why are there so many slenderman games? "Slenderman original idea do not steel!"

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

What the heck are you supposed to write in the report form anyway. I've just been putting in "Copyright infringement" and "Fake Game".

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Eh? I haven't played that but I like Hanako games. Long Live the Queen was quite fun (and pretty dang amusing how often it's possible to die).

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

WHich one of you posted:

"Delete all the animes. All of them."

Because I wish I could upvote that some how.

rinkuhero
Sep 30, 2009
Yeah Hanako's games and Science Girls in particular aren't really that bad. They're definitely niche in that they appeal to the type of people who read anime fanfiction, but that itself doesn't mean they're bad, just that they appeal to a narrow set of interests.

I feel like a lot of users are judging games as bad based on too little information. You can't tell whether you'd like a game based on some screenshots and a video. I have plenty of favorite games that I could not have predicted I'd like just by their screenshots. For instance: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Battle for Wesnoth, EVO: The Search for Eden, Kung Fu Chess, VVVVVV, etc. etc. -- all of those look bad in screenshots but I had a lot of fun with them.

Another issue is that there are a lot of niche games on there that look bad to everyone outside of that niche. Some games are not supposed to be for everyone. If 10% of people who play a game love it and 90% hate it, it can still be a very successful game that those 10% enjoy a lot. There are a lot of games that don't try to please everyone and just try to strongly please a specific audience.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Katreus posted:

Eh? I haven't played that but I like Hanako games. Long Live the Queen was quite fun (and pretty dang amusing how often it's possible to die).

Hanako Games gets dismissed by people before playing the games pretty much everywhere, but honestly it's mostly the fault of the lady who makes the games because holy loving poo poo do they have terrible presentation and she's only recently began to shell out for artists who approach the title of 'professional'.

e: Which might be unfair of me to say since as Rinkuhero (sup, Paul) says she's built up an audience in a niche and can probably only now afford better artists because that audience grows at a glacial pace.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 31, 2012

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Anyone have any firsthand experience with Waking Mars? Apparently it is a released iOS game by Randy Smith's (of Thief fame) development company (they also did some game called Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor). They want to bring it over to the PC through Greenlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4e4DNcQ6Qk

I've never played them so I have no idea, personally...

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 31, 2012

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Shinx posted:

Some guy in the discussion section is having a meltdown his lovely RPG Maker games aren't getting any upvotes and he's calling the community "a bunch of idiots" and stuff.

Greenlight is the greatest thing.
It's like the Demon Rush to the 10th power.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LordAndrew posted:

I know, Day 1 and Greenlight is already an irredeemable failure right? It's not like other gaming services ever started out terrible and got better over time, like what was that one thing called again...Steam?

Seriously though, the confusion over "what Greenlight is" will eventually dissipate. You'll still get a number of terrible games and game ideas, of course, but it will be at manageable, Kickstarter-esque levels.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

EA Sports posted:

It's like the Demon Rush to the 10th power.

Speaking of, when do you guys think we're going to see the Demon Rush on Greenlight? It was a finished product when the guy posted it on SA. I'msure he could make a few hundred thousMMMMMMMMMMMM

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Any of you remember The Oil Blue? It was in an Indie Royale bundle and was pretty cool.

Just saw it on greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93011363&searchtext=

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Saturday Morning RPG and Waking Mars are both pretty decent iOS games. Not sure how the wario style minigame combat for SMRPG is going to work out, but other than that they'd both be good candidates.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
To prove that Greenlight isn't totally hopeless, I ran into a game I had no idea about and actually looks loving good: Fly'n. If the trailer doesn't sell you on it, I don't know what will:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=groLWrpJ7Lk

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
ALWAYS RUNNING

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93003599&searchtext=

you know the games gonna be good when the screenshots the developer took still have the fps counter on in fraps and the trailer has massive stutter

ALWAYS RUNNING

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I'd like to echo what someone said earlier in that NEO Scavenger belongs in the highlights list. I bought in the beta a long time ago and do not regret it one bit. The game is fun, brutally hard, and feels good at just the right moments until everything goes to poo poo. There is an SA Thread for it where the OP is a little outdated and a recently updated demo that includes almost all the features/updates from the beta. Sit down and give it a play. The SA thread has answers to most questions and once you understand what's going on you're going to see the potential this has. The creator posts occasionally and updates frequently.

Up vote it please!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92934582

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Just what Steam needed: a Progress Quest clone. :allears:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Any of you remember The Oil Blue? It was in an Indie Royale bundle and was pretty cool.

Just saw it on greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93011363&searchtext=
Interesting, I thought the reason they originally couldn't have it on Steam was because the engine it used wasn't supported. I'd totally buy it to have on Steam if it gets greenlit, though, it's a pretty unique game.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I just noticed that my comment criticizing Nestalgia got deleted.

It's ironic since I was pointing out how they whitewash all criticism and ban people who complain about the game in any way.

Doom Goon posted:

Anyone have any firsthand experience with Waking Mars? Apparently it is a released iOS game by Randy Smith's (of Thief fame) development company (they also did some game called Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor). They want to bring it over to the PC through Greenlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4e4DNcQ6Qk

I've never played them so I have no idea, personally...

Waking Mars was a fantastic game and I would pay for it again on my PC.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I swear to god, every other thing I look at in greenlight happens to be a survival horror.
I never really noticed that much of a survival horror bubble before, what's up with that?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Belzac posted:

GUTS! is a game being made by a very good friend of mine. They have a playable demo that they link to in the description. Check it out and vote it up if you like it.

Tell him I'll buy it instantly at a reasonable price if he makes a skin for the player that looks like Guts from the manga Berserk, including chopping dudes up with a big sword.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Juc66 posted:

I swear to god, every other thing I look at in greenlight happens to be a survival horror.
I never really noticed that much of a survival horror bubble before, what's up with that?

Amnesia and Slender are both Indie horror games that have created a huge fanbase and popularity and everything. I almost guarantee those two games are the cause.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Cowman posted:

Amnesia and Slender are both Indie horror games that have created a huge fanbase and popularity and everything. I almost guarantee those two games are the cause.
Also the general nerd obsession with zombies.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Do we know the required number of upvotes to get something onto Steam? I only ask because everything I've rated positively has read as 0% progress.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Whatever it is, it's very high. The highest % I've seen is Project Giana at 3%.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Gnomoria is basically never going to be on Steam because Dwarf Fortress fanboys are downvoting it like crazy. I've seen it go from 1% to 0% already, and the comments have become a back and forth of HOW DARE THEY RIP OFF DWARF FORTRESS AND NOT GIVE THEM ANY CREDIT(robobob has said numerous times and on his site that DF was his main inspiration) and MAN I LOVE THE IDEA OF DF BUT IT'S UGLY AND IMPENETRABLE AND THIS IS PRETTY HELL YEAH!

edit: this is the level of user who is downvoting Gnomoria.
I don't like this one bit. It's an actual game with a working release, constant updates and a developer who took off from his real job just to work on his passion. His idea is also good, which is to create a Dwarf Fortress-like that isn't a massive pain in the rear end to learn to play. I hate that he's getting downvoted out of spite.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jesus. I knew Steam got a lot of lovely game submissions but I didn't realize it was this bad. Even iOS games have a higher barrier of entry. I don't blame Valve at all for initially denying games like La-Mulana if I was bombarded with poo poo like this.

With that said, I want to give a second shout out to The Real Texas. It's a game I've been following for a while as it promises to be an off-beat Zelda style game with RPG elements culled from Ultima. It looks great but it always pops up every 6 months or so then vanishes into the night.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't like this one bit. It's an actual game with a working release, constant updates and a developer who took off from his real job just to work on his passion. His idea is also good, which is to create a Dwarf Fortress-like that isn't a massive pain in the rear end to learn to play. I hate that he's getting downvoted out of spite.

Gonna agree with this. gently caress DF and it's massive, overly difficult interface. This has a cute look to it, fun sound/music, and it's very very easy to get the hang of. In 15 minutes I figured out how to build a log wall, dig a hole, make a farm, forage for wild cotton, etc. This is basically what DF should have been.

It really is a shame people are downvoting this because they're fanatic idiots, instead of realizing that this could be a massively great game if they supported it.

I plan on giving this person my money when I can, it'll probably be the first game I buy when I can afford it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Juc66 posted:

It's a genre that the mainstream has either completely ignored or turned into co-op action games. Good horror doesn't even require fancy graphics or engines, just effective use of sound and visuals. Sole Survivor was my favorite "Silent Hill" of recent years.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Cool, a Giana Sisters remake and it looks loving gorgeous.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Iris of Ether posted:

Just what Steam needed: a Progress Quest clone. :allears:

This would be great with 100+ achievements and absurd requirements to achieve them.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Someone in this thread said that it was estimated to be about a million, but if you assume everyone who liked Giana favorited it (obv. that didn't happen) it would be about 100,000, so probably somewhere in between those two numbers. Frankly I think the bar is a little too high (despite the torrent of poo poo), because except for mega properties like Minecraft or Limbo or something I doubt that the average quality indie developer (like Introversion or Wolfire) would be able to get more than maybe a few tens of thousands of people to upvote their game (especially in a sea of thousands of other games and GABE FAT LOL fake entries), not to mention that any indie game which would be able to make a wave of support and get hundreds of thousands of Steam users to like their game would almost certainly be some horrible combination of a quirky retro 8-bit Minecraft-ripoff sl-sl-sl-Slenderman platformer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zomboid has 5% which is the highest I've seen. Hrm.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i poo poo trains posted:

Someone in this thread said that it was estimated to be about a million, but if you assume everyone who liked Giana favorited it (obv. that didn't happen) it would be about 100,000, so probably somewhere in between those two numbers. Frankly I think the bar is a little too high (despite the torrent of poo poo), because except for mega properties like Minecraft or Limbo or something I doubt that the average quality indie developer (like Introversion or Wolfire) would be able to get more than maybe a few tens of thousands of people to upvote their game (especially in a sea of thousands of other games and GABE FAT LOL fake entries), not to mention that any indie game which would be able to make a wave of support and get hundreds of thousands of Steam users to like their game would almost certainly be some horrible combination of a quirky retro 8-bit Minecraft-ripoff sl-sl-sl-Slenderman platformer.

Valve's said they can change the values and stuff for their requirements at any time, and will be doing so in the future once they get a good idea of how many people are voting on games on a regular basis.

For launch, it's better to set it too high and crank it down over time than to set it too low and have a bunch of lovely games hit the requirement within 48 hours or something.

Also, Octodad's hit 1% and that is not enough, guys. Spread the word. We gotta get this one on there, it is sure to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Did you want a horror game based on an 80's vision of the future, set on a moonbase with Perma Death and Multiple Endings?
Then Routine may be what you want to vote up.

It was on the first page and was the first thing I checked out on Greenlight and I really like the idea. :swoon:

• Locked thread