Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

I thought it was decent. If you're only going to play through it once I suggest doing it as Claptrap; all the player characters are voiced in this game and I think he, unsurprisingly, gets the best lines.

Hot drat about time they did this. This was my main gripe with BL2, and to salt on the wound, they gave your character only one line in the Tina DLC. This alone might be the reason I'll check out this game.

EDIT: Oh, and could anyone point me towards the CE tables for TPS then? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kikas posted:

and to salt on the wound, they gave your character only one line in the Tina DLC.

This is downright wrong, there are shitloads of places in Dragon Keep where the PCs have lines. There's at least 3 I can think of in the first map. (getting off the boat, speaking to ellie, speaking to moxxi)

Also, loot tables here -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9tD5XcDJgiAaWE1emVyd1RGT2c

TPS table is a straight edit of the old BL2 table. Includes the same "Sensible" preset, but might need tweaking since they fiddled with the drop rates recently. Confirmed to be working still though.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I never had issues with solo uvhm but that's probably because I only play maya and krieg. Maya with chaining phaselocks that give you health every time you kill is insane, not to mention interrupting the enemies shooting as they get jerked around. And of course Krieg doesn't even need a gun haha

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Claptastic Voyage is a solid DLC for the first hour or two - nothing special, but again, occasional moments of brilliance. They completely and totally dropped the ball on the final boss, however - he is so bad I put the game down months ago and still can't be arsed to actually go down and try to finish him off once and for all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I didn't think the final boss of the DLC was that bad, at least not on Normal. Granted, I was using the gibbed editor to keep my guns up to level so I wasn't having the usual problem of slightly underleveled guns.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

That final boss was a giant slog originally. I think they patched it or something, but I haven't played it since so I'm not sure.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I have the Handsome Collection on PS4 and am wondering how many changes were made. The Warrior was a practically guaranteed Orange but now I can't get crap out of him, just purples.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Only on the first kill per playthrough. After that you're stuck with the terrible drop rates again.

InsertGenericName
Dec 13, 2011

"Ya see, bobby? Smoooooooth" - Hank hill.
I initially stopped playing the game at the final boss of Hammerlock's big clusterfuck, because gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Picked the game back up, slogged through Tina's DLC, stopped again at the handsome sorcerer because gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

InsertGenericName fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 13, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

AirRaid posted:

That final boss was a giant slog originally. I think they patched it or something, but I haven't played it since so I'm not sure.

Something I learned is that fighting Eclipse is slightly easier when you're in close range because he won't deploy his insta-death missiles. He'll still stomp your rear end and shoot you, though. Also if anyone is far away enough to make him deploy his missiles, some of the missiles will target you even if you're pretty close to him so anyone not aware of this behavior can gently caress everything up.

Still, defeating the Claptrap DLC boss does guarantee a legendary weapon even on repeated fights. On the other hand, he's a pain to fight and getting to him (and the mutator) is a pain in the rear end since there are no fast travels anywhere there and you have to travel the entire length of a very large map to get there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress Rabid enemies forever who the gently caress thought that an enemy like the Stalker who already hit extremely fast needed goddamn knockback as well?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Only on the first kill per playthrough. After that you're stuck with the terrible drop rates again.

I never even got that. That's some bullshit right there....

Not even a useless POS like the Flakker. All I wanted was a Conference Call. Haha

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
It's not uncommon for your legendary drop off The Warrior to be the Handsome Jack mask, especially on first playthrough. Putting that thing in its legendary loot pool is the biggest troll Gearbox did in the game until TPS came out.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Not even a useless POS like the Flakker. All I wanted was a Conference Call. Haha

Doodles posted:

It's not uncommon for your legendary drop off The Warrior to be the Handsome Jack mask, especially on first playthrough. Putting that thing in its legendary loot pool is the biggest troll Gearbox did in the game until TPS came out.

Alternatly your Flakker could wind up in the lava or on top of a statue where players can't reach. Because this game.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

AirRaid posted:

I don't think they patched him.... they altered his loot tables, I know that much, but I don't think they made him any easier. At least not that I can find.

The problem with EOS isn't that he's too hard. He isn't. He's actually very, very simple to fight. The problem is they made him a flying enemy that never, ever comes close to you, thus completely invalidating grenade, melee, and beam-weapon builds in their entirety; I was a melee-specced Athena on my first attempt of this guy, so you can imagine how much fun that was.

Worse than that, though, is just his life pool. They gave the guy more health than God. Killing him in anything less than a straight hour of fighting is extremely unlikely for all but the most twinked-out players, and of course his health regens to full if you die. His attack patterns are basic and predictable enough, but again.... you're fighting him for an hour straight, at least, so you WILL get bored and start making mistakes.

It'd be fine if this guy was a raid boss, but no. He's main storyline. You HAVE to fight him, and the experience is just pure tedium. And what bad boss is complete without the same four or five battle taunts being repeated over, and over, and over, the entire, time...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dr.Smasher posted:

In most situations a Flakker with the right accesory is better than a Conference Call. hth.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Backhand posted:

And what bad boss is complete without the same four or five battle taunts being repeated over, and over, and over, the entire, time...

THE LAVA'S RISING!

THE LAVA'S RISING!

WATCH OUT THE LAVA'S RISING!!

I'm going to text that to my friend because holy poo poo that line broke us to pieces

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
At least the final main boss in TPS felt like he might be a threat in some way. The Warrior is literally just a big kraggon. I bet he would lose to a loving constructor if you were somehow able to spawn one in and make him aggro the boss.

Also ugh I wish they'd adjust loving Deadlift. He is the biggest pain in the rear end to deal with especially on later runs if you're using a non-ideal build. I remember when TPS first came out and people would just quit on getting to deadlift because they sold the electric weapon you get from Janey or didn't do the quest or didn't realize you basically needed it to deal with him.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 16, 2015

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I've never needed that gun to take on Deadlift. Just shoot his backpack.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I haven't touched TPS since my usual Borderlands group stopped playing. How are the DLC characters? Specifically the sniper-centric one. Curious to see just how good she makes sniper rifles, since they were irredeemable garbage in BL2 even if you spec'ed for them.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

If you bought the humble borderlands bundle and held on to your coupon until now you can get TPS for $10.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kaethela posted:

I haven't touched TPS since my usual Borderlands group stopped playing. How are the DLC characters? Specifically the sniper-centric one. Curious to see just how good she makes sniper rifles, since they were irredeemable garbage in BL2 even if you spec'ed for them.

You'll get a more definitive answer in the TPS thread, but Lady Hammerlock is apparently a very good character with some great sniping skills. She definitely makes great use of sniper rifles! (I haven't used her at all, unfortunately, so I can't really give details here.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Not even close.

TPS was really underwhelming folowing BL2 and it's massive campaign of actually very good DLC, but it's not as bad as the hyperbolic goons will make out. Yeah the level design isn't hugely great but there's a lot to like about it, and the new mechanics in there give the BL2 formula enough new paint to be worth a run.

Also it finally introduces a (DLC) character which makes Sniper Rifles an actual good choice.

Personally I like that TPS is a rather compact game and not three times as long as it needs to be like BL2. It was also nice that TPS designed some areas around sniping actually being a thing you could do.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kaethela posted:

Aurelia takes snipers and makes them her bitch. And then she makes everyone else her bitch for good measure. It's like they took the best parts from all the sniper characters they've tried so far and put them all together in one place, she's really great and can pack one hell of a wallop. Works best with the extra crit bonuses from Jakobs guns, where she can 1-2 shot most normal enemies.

You will need to be able to hit critical spots though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well I finally got around to killing the Warrior on normal mode. Not sure why but the game felt easy again this time around after going through a few areas where I kept getting smoked by trash mobs. They didn't seem to be any different this time around than the preceding areas.

Also good thing I had white damage weapons around cause drat if you had elemental damage weapons only for the boss?

Not sure if I should keep playing, reroll or just stop altogether though. Not entirely sure how I felt at all playing this game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sober posted:

Well I finally got around to killing the Warrior on normal mode. Not sure why but the game felt easy again this time around after going through a few areas where I kept getting smoked by trash mobs. They didn't seem to be any different this time around than the preceding areas.

Also good thing I had white damage weapons around cause drat if you had elemental damage weapons only for the boss?

Not sure if I should keep playing, reroll or just stop altogether though. Not entirely sure how I felt at all playing this game.

For what it's worth, I honestly felt like "Normal" mode was boring as poo poo and most of the characters only really opened up on a TVHM playthru.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For what it's worth, I honestly felt like "Normal" mode was boring as poo poo and most of the characters only really opened up on a TVHM playthru.

Tvhm is the one true mode, but then unless you're Maya or Kreig uvhm's kinda a slog

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

For Playthrough 1, does it really matter when I do the DLC campaigns? I've never actually completed Captain Scarlett's and was considering doing it at low level (16).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Tvhm is the one true mode, but then unless you're Maya or Kreig uvhm's kinda a slog

Yeah I got lucky with my Axton build in UVHM but there was definitely a paradigm shift towards unfun bullet sponges and bosses that weren't really balanced well for the health they had and the arenas they lived in.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I got lucky with my Axton build in UVHM but there was definitely a paradigm shift towards unfun bullet sponges and bosses that weren't really balanced well for the health they had and the arenas they lived in.

Honestly there's really no better ability than reslagging without switching guns every time it wears off and it stops everyone from shooting for a second

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always saidyou basically have to play with friends to make UVHM fun. That said though I found a full anarchy Gaige was pretty fun on UVHM. I don't remember the exact specs and equipment of the character but I think I took whatever I could (outside of the anarchy stacks) that increased my health, shield/health regen on [X], used the shield type that gave a health boost, used a slag vampire grenade, and basically never stopped moving, jumping, and firing.

The hard part is getting enough stacks right off the bat but I almost never played UVHM alone so that probably took the worst bite out of that.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 15, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Devorum posted:

For Playthrough 1, does it really matter when I do the DLC campaigns? I've never actually completed Captain Scarlett's and was considering doing it at low level (16).

16 would be fine. Scarlett and Torque are recommended for 15-30 in PT1, Hammerlock and Tina are 30-35. Tina especially since it has several endgame spoilers for the main quest. But assuming you've finished that at least once that won't matter. It still scales 30+ tho.

16 will be fine for Scarlett though, but when you drop back to the main story you will be comically over levelled. If swatting mobs like they're made of paper is your thing then that's cool but also be aware you won't find any decent loot for ages either.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

AirRaid posted:

16 would be fine. Scarlett and Torque are recommended for 15-30 in PT1, Hammerlock and Tina are 30-35. Tina especially since it has several endgame spoilers for the main quest. But assuming you've finished that at least once that won't matter. It still scales 30+ tho.

16 will be fine for Scarlett though, but when you drop back to the main story you will be comically over levelled. If swatting mobs like they're made of paper is your thing then that's cool but also be aware you won't find any decent loot for ages either.

The over-leveling is what I was worried about. I've beaten the game, but I did so before the DLCs came out and haven't played much since. TFTB has made me want to dive in and do the DLCs, though. I guess I can handle being ridiculously over-leveled in the main story for a while.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Every BL game has the same problem really, it's just the way the scaling works (or, doesn't work). Good news is, if you just wanna play the DLCs for their own sake you shouldn't need to worry too much about the main quest level?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So after signing up for Shift codes so I could get those keys everyone is always talking about I got an email about some other game called Battleborn. Anyone know anything about that? Does it have a thread or something?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

So after signing up for Shift codes so I could get those keys everyone is always talking about I got an email about some other game called Battleborn. Anyone know anything about that? Does it have a thread or something?

It's Gearbox's in-development MOBA. There was a law signed back a while ago that every video game developer has to make at least one during its life and its Gearbox's turn.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

I got an email to sign up to test it, and went ahead and registered. It looks like they are building a beta testing pool,

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

It's Gearbox's in-development MOBA. There was a law signed back a while ago that every video game developer has to make at least one during its life and its Gearbox's turn.

I cannot fathom why people keep calling Battleborn a moba. It's a co-op FPS with some multiplayer maps thrown in. :psyduck:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

From what I've seen it seems closer to TF2 than a MOBA. But with co-op and stuff and more classes and i dunno. I'm not hugely interested but I signed up for the test thing, it might change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I cannot fathom why people keep calling Battleborn a moba. It's a co-op FPS with some multiplayer maps thrown in. :psyduck:

If something has all the classical elements of one thing, it's probably going to be that thing. It's not just "some multiplayer maps," they've barely talked about whatever single player campaign is, all of the favour has gone to the multiplayer (which is a MOBA).

• Locked thread