Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

What: A sequel for Borderlands and prequel to Borderlands 2, chronicling Handsome Jack's rise to power.
When: October 14th for North America, October 16th for Australia, and October 17th for Europe.
Developer: 2K Australia in collaboration with Gearbox Software.
Platform: Xbox 360/Playstation 3/PC/OS X/Linux
Xbone/PS4? Nope.

Meet the new Vault Hunters

Athena the Gladiator
Skill tree: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltrees/athena.html
Action Skill: Kinetic Aspis - A shield that absorbs incoming damage before being thrown. Can to upgraded to ricochet off of multiple enemies.
Bio: Former assassin for the Crimson Lance, she defected and helped the Borderlands 1 Vault Hunters defeat General Knoxx. Left with no other options, she agrees to work for Jack.

Wilhelm the Enforcer
Skill tree: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltrees/wilhelm.html
Action Skill: Wolf and Saint - Wilhelm deploys two Surveyor Drones, Wolf (offense) and Saint (defense) to take control of the battlefield.
Bio: Cyborg Hyperion engineer and future right-hand man to Handsome Jack, he agrees to work for Jack to make lots of money.

Nisha the Lawbringer
Skill Tree: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltrees/nisha.html
Action Skill: Showdown - Nisha automatically aims at enemies while also gaining increased gun damage, accuracy, reload speed, fire rate, and bullet speed.
Bio: The mysterious future Sheriff of Lynchwood and girlfriend of Handsome Jack, the sadistic Nisha agreed to work for Jack for fun.

Claptrap the Fragtrap
Skill tree: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltrees/claptrap.html
Action Skill: vaulthunter.exe - Claptrap surveys the battlefield and loads an Action Package. He might imitate the Action Skill of a Vault Hunter from another Borderlands game, make the entire party uncontrollably bouncy, or even turn into a pirate ship.
Bio: Interplanetary Ninja Assassin, Dear Leader of the Glorious Robolution, and the eventual last of his kind, Cl4p-TP, otherwise known as "Claptrap", has been entertaining/enraging Borderlands players since they first got off the bus at the beginning of Borderlands 1. He agreed to join Jack because his programming forbid him from not doing so.

Non-Player Characters

JohnJack
Future CEO of Hyperion Corporation and dictator of Pandora, Jack is presently just a programmer for Hyperion who enlists the help of the Vault Hunters to regain Hyperion's moon base, Helios, which has been taken over by a group of Bandits called The Lost Legion.

Mad Moxxi
Jack's girlfriend, mother of Scooter and Ellie, owner and operator of Mad Moxxi's Underdome.

What's new:
*New setting: Elpis, Pandora's moon. The lack of atmosphere and lower gravity affords new gameplay possibilities.
*New Elemental Damage type: Cryo slows down enemies, eventually freezing them solid, allowing them to be shattered.
*New weapon type: Lasers. About drat time we had actual real lasers.
*New Gear: O2 kits (or "Oz kits", if you prefer) allow the Vault Hunters to breathe in areas with no atmosphere, jump longer distances, revive each other faster, and perform a new type of attack called a "Gravity/Butt Slam", where they slam into the ground from overhead enemies. Just like guns and grenades, O2 kits can be upgraded for larger capacity and elemental damage.
*New vehicles: Buggies, which function like normal Borderlands Runners, and Stingrays, a kind of one-man hoverbike capable of slamming into enemies from overhead.

DLC?
In addition to the pre-order bonus Shock-Drop Slaughter Pit, a Season Pas hass been announced for US$30, promising a 25% discount on four content packs, which will include "new missions", "new challenges", "new characters" (the first of which has been revealed as Jack's Body Double), and "new experiences".

Trailers
Handsome Jack Teaser: http://youtu.be/EgAorHP13qw
Moon Dance Trailer: http://youtu.be/xe6oobNa_RA
Handsome Jack's Tips for Surviving on the Moon: http://youtu.be/vCuQv5ynD_0
Last Hope Trailer: http://youtu.be/c9a4wr4I1hk
Shock-Drop Slaughter Pit: http://youtu.be/qcmJkT2P3vs
An Introduction by Sire Hammerlock AND TORGUE: http://youtu.be/w5_DOSvsjPw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am excited for this and I think the name is dumb, even if it is descriptive. Welp, that's all I got.

edit: I will probably play as Claptrap despite my dislike of him because his gimmick seems pretty interesting. He is a true wildcard.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Yeah no, I'm not about to pay for some more Reddit maymay from Burch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Forums Barber posted:

Yeah no, I'm not about to pay for some more Reddit maymay from Burch.

You probably should watch the trailer where they make fun of all that then

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Which is the last trailer on the list, "An Introduction by Sir Hammerlock and TORGUE". The Last Hope trailer is probably the best of the lot though.

It's also the only trailer with decent music.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Hopefully the scaling and loot drops don't completely suck this time.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

CJacobs posted:

That trailer started wearing a little thin after the second or third 'Ghostdad' reference.

I'm wondering if when people say they hated memes in BL2, they actually mean how sophomoric things became when compared to 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only actual meme references I remember in Borderlands 2 are the challenge titles so I'm pretty sure people are just whining about nothing but maybe there was some epic meme culture or something I missed in there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 21, 2014

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
There is no playable siren. What will I do??? :ohdear:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, the season pass is a discount on future DLC rather than actual access to it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, the season pass is a discount on future DLC rather than actual access to it?

That's not what it means. It means, when you buy the season pass, you receive a 25% discount on what you WOULD have spent if you bought the DLCs individually.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I'm looking forward to this! Love the gameplay and humor is good for me.

Though a gun that makes fart sounds would be my fav gun ever. So game's humor is in my wheelhouse

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kaysette posted:

There is no playable siren. What will I do??? :ohdear:
Wait for the Angel DLC.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

That's not what it means. It means, when you buy the season pass, you receive a 25% discount on what you WOULD have spent if you bought the DLCs individually.

Oooooh, that makes a lot more sense then. :downs:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
One thing you missed, CJacobs, was that a good chunk of Gaige's skill tree had My Little Pony references. On the other hand, this means you're definitely not one of the show's fans so :bravo:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I see Wilhem has the 'Your summoned bot occasionally recharges you and your teammates shields' ability. I kinda wonder if we'll get the same runaround Gaige had for the longest time.

Also, can I just say I'm disappointed you didn't use 'Fragtraps Moonbase Mambo' for the thread title?

Because I am. :colbert:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Doodles posted:

One thing you missed, CJacobs, was that a good chunk of Gaige's skill tree had My Little Pony references. On the other hand, this means you're definitely not one of the show's fans so :bravo:

Silly pop culture references aren't memes though. If for some reason they suddenly count as memes, I guess that's why so many people would be annoyed by "all the memes". :shrug:

They've already shown some self-awareness (Moon Dance trailer is completely stupid, Lost Hope trailer ends with "yeah we're not dancing") so maybe there's hope??

Solumin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 21, 2014

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
I am rather excited about this - Borderlands 1&2 have been my go-to games for silly shooty fun for ages now. Can't believe I'm even considering playing as Claptrap, but holy crap, pirate ship mode!

Anyway, noticed a lot of PC hardware comes with a free code for pre-sequel, but sadly none of the PC hardware I have recently bought.

Do have a Watch_Dogs key via motherboard that I have no interest in though, and also an extra one for Divinity: Original Sin from backing that, and would happily swap either or both for a BL pre-sequel key, if anyone here has a spare.

Posted in game swap thread too:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1907653&pagenumber=325#post435215672

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will they include the Echo Log playback feature this time? It was sorely missing in Borderlands 2.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Cautiously excited here. I hope the guns feel better than the BL2 ones, which were a bit samey on average.

Claptrap, double jumping/stomping and lazer gunz are pretty awesome features though.

Edit: And please give us bigger crit boxes like in BL1. Half the fun was exposing the skags, spiderants, Atlas troops by taking them down with a few well placed shots from a Masher. The enemies in BL2 are generally tankier and require a lot of bodyshots because of accuracy.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 22, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Solumin posted:

Silly pop culture references aren't memes though. If for some reason they suddenly count as memes, I guess that's why so many people would be annoyed by "all the memes". :shrug:

They've already shown some self-awareness (Moon Dance trailer is completely stupid, Lost Hope trailer ends with "yeah we're not dancing") so maybe there's hope??

Uhm… there's a skill called come at me bro… that's a meme, right?

I really don't mind memes if they're kept as challenge names and such.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Claptrap's completely random skills that encourage you to switch to weapons of the correct type will be either amazing or a complete headache. I look forward to him.

Wilhelm looks like a neat combination of Gaige and Axton, and I'm looking forward to totally Captain American-ing it as Athena.

The game designers don't get enough credit for coming up with just plain interesting mechanics.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
On one hand I really like Borderlands.

On the other, they outright said they were thinking of charging less for it because it was only half as long as the other Borderlands games, then proceeded to charge full price for it.

I think I'm going to wait for people to start finishing it before I buy.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The last 10 minute trailer moved me from 'eh, I dunno' to 'I guess I'm getting this' so that's good by me.

Rookersh posted:

On the other, they outright said they were thinking of charging less for it because it was only half as long as the other Borderlands games, then proceeded to charge full price for it.

At least for me, Borderlands 2 was probably too long. I'd rather see more compact areas full of interesting stuff to do/etc, or even a flat out shorter game, compared to super long ones. That doesn't invalidate your point, just saying though.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I pre ordered this. First time did that but perfect timing as just finishing up games I had

I like the new characters with completely new skills. Even if game is shorter I feel I will be trying out each new character and play a lot

This plus gravityand oxygen makes it feel like lot of interesting change to give hourd of play

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Having characters that actually say stuff will add a little replay value, so it might provide as much total enjoyment as BL2.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hoping they at least have the sense to do away with the unskippable intro cutscenes for every single character you meet in later playthroughs. poo poo got annoying real quick.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
all I care about is the low gravity

I'm just buying this for the low gravity

games don't have enough of it

:allears:

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
I hope Claptrap doesn't need to get oxygen like the other characters...cause you know...robot's don't have lungs.

Ankle-biter fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 22, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ankle-biter posted:

I hope Claptrap doesn't need to get oxygen like the other characters...cause you know...robot's don't have lungs.

I've heard somewhere that he actually doesn't.

Then again, a lot of machines run better with air.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Rookersh posted:

They didn't say that. They said they were thinking about a lower price point if the size of the game was particularly smaller. When the game was still very much in development. I'm guessing they didn't cut out as much stuff as they were thinking of.

Either way I will get hundreds of hours out of this and I paid like £22 so I'm good.

Get hype! :torgue:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

drat how did you get it so cheap. Best sale I've seen so far is for ~$45 (~35 euros).

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
Sign me up! My only problem is the 360 or Steam version. I either read or heard in an interview that it will be not quite as long as BL2 but longer than BL1. Has anybody else come across this?

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

drat how did you get it so cheap. Best sale I've seen so far is for ~$45 (~35 euros).

My buddy just pre-ordered our copies in a brick-and-mortar game store for HUF 9,000 (less than 30 euros), and we're getting free Handsome Jack ice cube trays, apparently. I like the convenience of digital stores, but the pricing in our region is harsh (also, we don't get free Handsome Jack ice cube trays that way).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Colgrim posted:

Sign me up! My only problem is the 360 or Steam version. I either read or heard in an interview that it will be not quite as long as BL2 but longer than BL1. Has anybody else come across this?

Yes. That's what they're saying. About the size of BL1.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Genocyber posted:

Base price on UK steam is £30, minus 20% first weekend discount minus a further 10% bonus discount for owning either previous BL game.

Numbers might not be totally accurate but it was that combination of things. UK got a way better price than anyone else on steam for some reason.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've heard rumblings that this may be ported to the Bone/PS4 in the future, has anyone heard more about this?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

I've heard rumblings that this may be ported to the Bone/PS4 in the future, has anyone heard more about this?

No confirmations whatsoever, but if they ported Borderlands 2 to the Vita, I'd lay solid odds on them porting this to next-gen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ankle-biter posted:

"Boy, it sure would be nice if Handsome Jack hadn't programmed me to need oxygen just so he could watch me asphyxiate for fun!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Attestant posted:

all I care about is the low gravity

I'm just buying this for the low gravity

games don't have enough of it

:allears:

Borderlands Tournament 2K4

• Locked thread