Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Is anyone having trouble launching the game? I've installed it 3 times and nothing happens when I hit play. I've verified the game cache and I'm working on repairing the .Net Framework (which GearBox forum users seem to think will fix it). Does anyone have any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

MagnumOpus posted:

Go to the Binaries directory in the game folder and try running Launcher.exe. If the problem is .NET it'll tell you that in an error message that otherwise appears to be suppressed when trying to launch from Steam. If that's the problem, uninstall all the .NET stuff from Windows and then re-install directly from the Microsoft download. Worked for me.

Thank you so much. The launcher told me I needed to reinstall Framework 4.0 and I did and now I'm playing. Thanks a lot!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Does anyone else hate Tiny Tina? She's the only character so far I don't find funny, just obnoxious. The "psychopatic cutesy little girl" seems like an obvious cliche and is pretty annoying. Her voice actor is really good though.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Just found a neat little easter egg I thought I'd post. It's stuff like this that really keeps me exploring and keeping my eye on the details.

Roland's Facebook page

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Crystalisks are the most badass, mean looking monsters that are the easiest to kill. You can literally circle around them, melee their legs one by one and kill them with three whacks. Not only that, but they can't hit you if you're close enough to them. Varkids and spiderants are harder to kill than the giant, hulking crystal beasts.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

If there's one thing I hate about this game (and believe me it's hard to find one) it's the fact that some parts of it don't seem like they're meant for a single player. Dukino's Mom is a great example. It can easily 1 shot you, bandits rarely show up so it's rare to get back from FFYL and to top it all off when you die she gets all your health back. I had to give up because it was costing me too much. gently caress that boss.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "then play multiplayer stupid". Well, I don't want to :colbert:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Are there any trick to dealing with Wormhole Threshers? As soon as they pop out I'm immediately sucked in and almost killed and I can't seem to find their weak spot.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Am I wrong or does crouching not affect aiming accuracy at all? It's disappointing that it seems to make no difference.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Is there a significance to Angel correcting herself and apologizing whenever she swears? Is there some kind of reference or something I'm missing?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Well, have you met her in person yet? If so:

Her dad scolds her for swearing. It's probably just as simple as "Dad is five feet away and giving me a dirty look."

Ah, yes I did, I guess I missed that line. That fight can get pretty chaotic.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I really wish this game had a World of Warcraft style loot rolling system for purples and oranges. I'm sick of every one of them getting snatched up by the greediest player before anyone can even take a look. It's really the only thing preventing me from playing exclusively online.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

If you're playing borderlands with people you don't know you're probably doing it wrong.

Nobody I know plays it, which is why I play solo 90% of the time.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

There's a challenge to find 5 vault symbols in Sanctuary. Before I go and play hide and seek for a couple of hours, can you do complete this challenge on the grounded Santuary or does it have to be airborne?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

You guys weren't kidding about the vault symbols in Sanctuary. I've been at it for over an hour and I've only found one, goddamn.

EDIT: 2 now

Ez fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 7, 2012

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Does anyone else have trouble scanning the QR codes in the game? None of them have worked for me, my phone just wont recognize them.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

So about three hours of running around Sanctuary like an idiot I discovered all 5 vault symbols without a guide, and you know what? I actually thought it was pretty fun. All the symbols were incredibly well hidden and I liked exploring every little nook and cranny of the city looking for them. I even found a few easter eggs I didn't know about in the process.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Does Moxxi give you anything after the good and bad touch? I keep giving her money out of habit.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Kinda pissed that the Mechromancer pack isn't included in the season pass, I bought it just today so I could get Gaige. Oh well, at least I'm covered for the 4 DLCs yet to come.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Guys, it is included. Steam wouldn't let me buy both, and buying the Season Pass today I'm able to play as Gaige.

Well I bought it, Steam says I own it, but I cannot play as Gaige and as far as I can tell without actually clicking the final purchase button, Steam will let me purchase it.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Did you preorder? Cause the Mechromancer pass is basically just the preorder bonus pack.

I think this is exactly correct. Season Pass is just for the DLC. I didn't buy the prestige pack as a preorder, but since I downloaded the Mechromancer pack it says I have it.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

It kinda sucks that you can't put Deathtrap away early like Roland can with his turret.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

The Broletariat posted:

PT2 and TVHM are the same thing. It is basically new game plus. The game starts with enemies/loot at level 30+ instead of 1+.

There are also a few new enemies.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Even after 3 playthroughs, blowing the arms off those Hyperion stooge bots is still so very drat satisfying.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Right in front of the giant Marcus statue on the dam where you fight W4R-D3N, there is a switch that opens a little hole with a ladder inside. What is this for? I tried throwing a gun in there and hitting the switch but nothing happened.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Pesterchum posted:

Bring a friend! Get them to investigate the hole. Press button.

Looked up a video. Neat little easter egg.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

This is the minorist of minor complaints but I really wish they would redo the launcher to include Gaige.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

mr. nazi posted:

"Don't worry, we'll be killing soon."

Welp, now ill never unsee it

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Speaking of which I don't think there was one this week. :smith:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

satan is my oppa posted:

Beat it. I liked the story. I really didn't expect those deaths.

Bloodwing! :( I played Mordecai in the original, that was a kick in the chest.

Same, it was quite a shock, and the voice acting and writing for the characters is so good, Mordecai sold it really well. Roland's death was a huge downer as well. I loved that guy.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

There is a special hell reserved for Jack.

I kinda wish that Jack didn't die in the end, or that they left it open for him to come back in a sequel or DLC because he's one of my favourite video game villains ever. He's funny, mean, evil and sadistic, and yet during and after the Angel fight he still manages to be a little sympathetic.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Y'know, I've spent about $100 on this game so far ($60 for the game, $30 for season pass, $10 for Gaige). Normally I might be inclined to complain about DLC and overpriced addons and greedy game companies but I am so in love with this game I really don't care. I don't think I've had this much fun with a game since Diablo 2 or WoW when it first launched. I've put 125 hours into the game and I haven't even tried out 3 of the classes yet, or done all the quests and challenges and I've only found 2 legendaries, so there's so much game left to play.

Just wanted to gush about BL2 a bit, carry on :allears:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

EDIT: NVM, I'm a scurvy sea dog with barnacles for brains.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I think it's a great idea :colbert:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Is cheating this easy in most PC games nowadays? It seems so much easier and more common in this game than others.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

mikemil828 posted:

Depends on the game, multiplayer centric games tend to check for any hacks or trainers hooked onto the game, also player data/stats tend to be stored on the developers servers to prevent editing to give better weapons, Borderlands doesn't have these type of protections and since it is essentially a single player game people are less morally inclined to not cheat than they would if they were hurting others experience. Which kinda makes this thing with limiting seraph crystal kinda pointless. I'd be surprised if we don't see folks having a full set of pink tier gear by tomorrow.

Working my way through TVHM solo I find it really hard to believe anyone when they say this is a single player game. There's many parts where it feels like you need to be overleveled or have some partners and I think it's really meant to be multiplayer.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

So, if I understand correctly:

3 bosses per day x 8 crystals each = 24 crystals per day
120 crystals per weapon / 24 crystals per day = 5 days per weapon

That really doesn't seem so bad, especially for guys like me that don't have the time to grind raid bosses all day.

Are these portioned out to the players or can one greedy person basically sit out the fight and run in and grab all of them last minute like so many online players tend to do?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Releasing these codes at 10am on a weekday is just cruel :smith:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Mechromancer is loads of fun, but for Playthrough 1 is basically easy mode. If you're new to FPSes, Best Friends Forever is tailor made for that, while Ordered Chaos trivialises playthrough 1 if you're good at it's playstyle (which is basically "run up to enemies, shoot them point blank in the chest, and never, ever, reload"). As much as it might trivialise it though, I never once felt bored because Ordered Chaos has a very mobile playstyle involving lots of running and jumping.

Totally. My favorite moment so far in this game (in fact, maybe in any FPS) is while playing as Gaige I did a running jump off a crate, jumped over a bandit, shot him in the head with my shotgun from above his head, then landed right in front of another bandit and popped him in the chest. Killed both in one shot. OC is definitely the most exciting playstyle in the game.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

TShields posted:

Wow.. So, the Treasure Room gave me a level 50 Quasar. Good god drat.

Also, that's WAY more loot than I can carry! I got a couple other upgrades, but I had to leave SO MANY blues behind. I mean, granted, I'm 50, have 6 million bucks, and money is meaningless, but still.. They should throw in a vending machine or something.

There's one near the exit back to Oasis. It'll take a minute or two but you can go there and sell your poo poo and go back and collect the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Can someone explain to me the logic behind Marshal Freeman's quintuplet murder quest. My reasoning was that one of the two that appeared to have shields must have been the murderer since Moxxi said she shot him and the shields took 2 of the bullets. Then I figured the real one must have some sort of wound on them since Zed claimed he removed the third bullet, but neither of the shield laden ones had any marks on them. Then when I just picked one of the shield ones, the murderer turned out to be one of the brother without a shield.

I just don't get it

• Locked thread