Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hah, took me like a full minute of idling in the steam group chat until someone did a drive-by invite. :) (My Steam username's Palantyre.)

I'm pretty sure I'll go with Axton first. I have this habit in any games that have character classes of always picking the most "Regular Joe Soldier" type first. Thus I picked Roland as my first guy in BL1, and since Axton is basically Roland 2.0 there's a nice sense of continuity.

Also, goddamnit why must the international release be three days later, I'm gonna lose my goddamn mind between the 18th and the 21th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Monarch posted:

Welp looks like BL2 will be a solo experience for me just like BL1 was.
Just play with fellow goons and you will be fine. There will surely be enough guns for everyone.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've read some posts here complaining about weak audio and gun sounds, and personally I have no clue what's up with that. I play with headphones, and the grand majority of gun sounds are really drat good, they're really crisp and especially sniper rifles sound pretty drat beefy.

The soundtrack is also awesome, Axton and his turret are awesome, holy poo poo this whole game is loving awesome can't make post longer must play game now ->

EDIT: GODDAMNIT MORDECAI stop shooting the varkid pods, I'm trying to do loving research here!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 19, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BitBasher posted:

Well, Smiling Jack just said something out of the blue that made me laugh out loud, which is pretty rare for me:

In the middle of nowhere I was looting a little unremarkable shack I opened a cardboard box and immediately Jack, in a very passable imitation of Brad Pitt in Se7en shouts at me "What's in the box? Oh God! What's in the boooox?!"

I laughed like an idiot.

I take it you mean Handsome Jack? Though it surely would be awesome if Smiling Jack made an appearance in the game too. :v:
Anyways, I got this too and it cracked me right the hell up since it was just so totally unexpected and random. I had just gradually stopped snickering at another reference joke, when this totally blindsided me.
I was wondering though, where exactly did you get this? Because I was thinking of whether the location is fixed or if it's randomized somehow. I found it in Ellie's garage.

Re: poo poo everyone shouts in combat, I think my favourite so far was a Psycho who yelled "I CAN HEAR WITH MY TEETH!"
At least that's what I heard through all the gunfire and explosions.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 20, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay, either I'm being incredibly dense/blind, or there's something amiss here, since I can't for the life of me figure out the trash/favourite system.

I know the star and x icons, but even when I star something I can still sell it normally, and I can't find the bloody "sell all trash" button anywhere.

Seriously, I'm usually pretty UI literate with games and the BL2 UI doesn't give me any trouble otherwise, why is this thing so hard? :psyduck:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

pLEH posted:

On the keyboard, the Sell Trash button is Delete by default. You can only press it in the "Buy" menu, not the "Sell" menu.
Oh, okay. That makes sense I guess... except it doesn't.

kdrudy posted:

For selling trash, you can right-click the backpack when viewing your backpack at a store and it gives a sell trash option.
Riiiight, why didn't I think of that? Might be because right-click has pretty much no use anywhere in the menus otherwise, maybe?

My sarcasm is directed a Gearbox btw, not you guys. Thanks a bunch. :)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yes! I just want a nice bolt action rifle, like Ye Olde Tyme Jacobs offers.
What, you mean something like this?

Yes, that's basically the same as Whitting's Elephant Gun from the first game. The difference is that this one is a lot more useful, since despite the lack of a scope it zooms in a fair bit and the iron sights are pretty good.

Anyways, just finished PT1, and I have to say the storytelling in this game is on a completely new level compared to BL1.
Despite being in a rather stark contrast to the game's usual tone, the drama actually worked and was really carried home by the superb voice acting. Handsome Jack is just such a memorable villain, too. All in all, the plot itself was actually pretty interesting this time instead of just being an excuse for killing everything and looting all the gear. And speaking of gear, at least the end boss drops some serious goddamn loot this time and is generally a whole drat lot cooler than in BL1.

Oh and the area around the Hyperion Information Stockade? Absolutely brilliant idea and execution.

As much as I love the first Borderlands to bits, it's really drat impressive how much of an improvement this sequel is in nearly every aspect.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So if anyone on the PC wants to coop it up from the start of PT2, gimme a holler.
Alternatively can also start a new character if someone's up for that.

SteamID is Palantyre.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

-Troika- posted:

How do I kill Crystalisks quickly? They have more HP than some bosses.
Destroy the crit spots (yellow lumps) on their legs, preferably with something that has extra crit damage.
Better yet, any melee hit will one-shot the crit spots regardless of damage, so basically you just need to punch them once in each leg to kill them.

Played with some goons for a good bit today, and we discovered that a team of three Axtons is pretty hilarious. We had a longbow rocket turret, longbow nuke turret and a rocket slag turret. All three turrets plus the three of us with e-tech blasters shooting at the same boss was hysterical. So goddamn many numbers flying out of him.

Speaking of Axton weaponry, I loving love sniper rifles and I can't remember a time when I didn't have one (usually a Jakobs) as one of my main weapons. The zoom usually isn't too much to still use them at medium range, and the sheer power is just so nice. Also, Jakobs makes both bolt action and semi-auto snipers, the latter ones don't have the "fire as fast as you click" feature, but their RoF is usually around 3, my current one actually has 4.0 which is plenty quick for that kind of damage.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 23, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Comrade Flynn posted:

So, just beat it and...now what? I see there's a level 50 quest...am I just supposed to grind for 18 levels or is there something I'm missing?

You start over with the same character in playthrough 2, or "True Vault Hunter Mode" as it's now called. You'll be facing new kinds of enemies and finding even better loot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Syrant posted:

Is there something I'm missing? It seems, in my game, that SMGs can shift from havign low recoil to being ridiculously hard to keep steady. The same weapon, mind. Like starting out with a siren the gearbox SMG was accurate and low recoil but as soon as I got to Liar's Berg it was jerking left and right on me. Is there some sort of connection to your HP? Even crouched it was ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure I remember the Gearbox SMG being a Hyperion, meaning it starts off horribly inaccurate but basically has negative recoil so after you shoot off a few rounds the last of the clip will have laser acuracy. I dunno why it would've had no recoil before Liar's Berg, though. You sure you didn't mix it up with the Assault Rifle?

And in practice, nearly every Hyperion SMG I've tried has had its accuracy improve so slowly that only the last few rounds are reasonably accurate, and the reload takes so long that the sights are wide open again when I get a new clip in. Pistols seem to be much more practical, by and large.

EDIT; gently caress, beaten, and also:

TacticalGranny posted:

My Siren has a Hyperion SMG; the first two shots are wide, but the accuracy tightens up fast. It is my favorite gun thus far because it's a critical hit bullet hose. Seriously, it owns.
drat, guess I've just had lovely luck then. Would be nice if the speed of the accuracy improvement was somehow visible on the item card.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, it seems like every manufacturer's E-tech Pistol has that same needler-style effect, and it's really loving awesome. Apparently, the Dahl version even has loving homing needles.
Yeah, I found one in a bandit port-a-john that fired homing incendiary needles. IN PAIRS. It was pretty drat brutal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well in BL1, with the Knoxx DLC and the last patch for the game, when you beat Crawmerax in Playthrough 2 the game would activate a "Playthrough 2,5". You didn't start the game over or reactivate any quests, but the entire game world scaled up to your level. Every enemy, every chest, every vendor everywhere became max level.

Would make sense for BL2 doing the same thing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You also get a badass token from having your companion crush you with Ellie's car crusher.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Genocyber posted:

Ugh, gently caress Varkids. On pt2 Rabid Varkids (I think that's what they're called) are the worst. They have a ton of health and just constantly attack you and do a ton of damage AND they're hard to hit. If I didn't have my two turrets I don't think I'd be able to take them.
Just wait until you run into Rabid Stalkers. gently caress those things now and forevermore. gently caress THEM.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Been having some nice luck with loot the last couple days, found a lot of cool blues and purples.

This thing packs a pretty ridiculous punch.

Neverending hail of buckshot!

And then, this loving thing. It's pinpoint accurate after just about three bullets, barely loses any accuracy during reload and the RoF gets pretty ludicrous when Metal Storm kicks in. Absolute loving murder.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm pretty sure I saw a loading screen tip that said bonus objectives count towards some challenges, and thus give badass tokens.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have used a lot of ARs of all brands except Bandit quite successfully.
The thing with the ARs is that you really, really, really need to use the sights. If you just hip-fire all the time you won't hit poo poo outside point blank range, but aim down the sights and you can put pretty long bursts into enemies at medium ranges and relatively rapid single shots at longer ranges.

The reason for this is that while you're aiming down the sights, the accuracy stat mostly just affects the amount the gun sways around, so inaccurate guns will just sway a lot but the shots will still pretty much go where the sights are when you take the shot. So even Jakobs ARs with their crazy recoil are pretty easy to hit with if you just use the sights.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 27, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GhostDog posted:

I do. Maybe I just suck, but at medium to long distances I find the recoil way too much to dish out enough damage to make it worthwile. My best "assault rifle" right now is a sniper rifle with burst shot, that thing recoils far far less than the ARs I found.
Yeah, it's true the ARs in this game aren't really long range weapons, but sometimes I just don't happen to have a sniper in a quickslot and can't be arsed to fiddle with the inventory, so I just pick off that last bandit with a couple AR headshots, it's USUALLY less of a hassle than digging that sniper from my backpack.

At medium ranges ARs shine though, since for the most part the gun sights in this game are pretty functional, so I find it easy enough to put rounds into crit spots most of the time. Different strokes for different people, and all that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The cap in BL1 was 50 until a patch raised it to 58, Knoxx raised the cap to 69.
Actually, Knoxx came first and raised the level cap to 61. Yes, 61, not 60. I guess it's an "it goes up to eleven" joke. THEN came the last patch that raised the level cap by 8, making it 58 for people who didn't own the Knoxx DLC and 69 for those who did.

Considering that Gearbox have said they're using Knoxx as a "model" for future BL2 DLC and that the achievement for reaching level 50 in BL2 is titled "Capped Out... For Now", I'd say it's pretty safe to assume at least some future DLCs will raise the level cap.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 28, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Orange guns? Pfah, who needs 'em.

:getin:

As for more substantial content, I got Axton to level 50 and have been having some trouble deciding on a final build. Currently I have a bit of a hodgepodge build going that's just focused on maximising the uptime of the turret so I can get the damage buffs from Battlefront. It works pretty okay, though.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 28, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

5er posted:

I've only gotten to 25 so far, do the projectiles on explosives still move slow on that particular gun?
Yeah, the projectiles behave the same as before. That's not really an issue at the ranges I'm using that gun at, though.
Also, the cloud of pellets it shoots is so wide that I'll still often do substantial damage even if my aim isn't dead on.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So yeah, finally found my first orange gun in nearly a 100 horus of playing.
It was that Tediore shotgun that shoots at enemies on its own when you throw it. Too bad it was pretty lovely as an actual gun.
Fortunately the same chest contained a pretty drat sick purple Torgue minigun that utterly wrecks everything. :haw:

EDIT:

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm gonna echo what some people have said in regards to disappointment in loot. It feels like random drops are almost never any good and all the best weapons are fixed.
This is bullshit and people are whiny bitches. The grand majority of my best stuff has come from random badasses and chests and such, and I've talked with plenty of other people who have no such problema either.
It just seems some players have this "Must be at least purple or it's poo poo" mentality. Or then they're bad players who can't make decent guns work, or something. At any rate, the loot is just fine.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 30, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Air Julio posted:

He's right though. His tone was douchey, but he's still right. No one is saying you should be "happy" with your poo poo loot, but the system is random; you're unlucky. For clarity: lvl 24 gotten 3 oranges and at least 5 purples. Some people will just roll poo poo every time OR they're getting good stuff but have the "purple or bust" mentality.
Yeah, this. I apologise for being a jerk about it, but my point still stands; If you're not finding anything good, you're either just having the dice gently caress you over because random loot is random, or being overtly picky.
I find good and/or interesting guns all the time, and often have to agonise over which of the twelve cool pieces I'm going to sell to make room in my backpack. Maybe I'm just easy to please. :v:

EDIT: ^^GreatGreen also makes a very very good point. The difference in power between different rarity items in BL2 is a lot smaller than, say, Diablo 3. Sure, a purple will much more likely be really powerful, but on the other hand I just found a green level 50 sniper that was an upgrade over my purple level 50 sniper.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 30, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Jesus Christ I've played this game for over 100 hours and still I keep hearing new poo poo from NPCs and enemies. I totally cracked up this morning when I was strolling around in Sanctuary and, completely out of the blue, some random Crimson Raider went "Winter is coming". :haw:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TShields posted:

But after using the Vladof, I'm really disappointed. It's REALLY hard to headshot with this thing. Or like, I'll get the headshot, but the crit damage isn't high enough to kill them. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on since there's corrosion damage and poo poo popping up too. What gives? It's a really cool gun otherwise, and it looks badass..

I found a pretty neat-looking E-tech sniper as well, and was kinda underwhelmed by it.
It's incendiary, so it does a number on bandits, but the critical damage bonus seems to be lower than on normal snipers. Furthermore it uses two ammo per shot and is a Dahl so it burst-fires, so in the end it's horribly uneconomical ammo-wise compared to the power.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The one with the bowler hat (Bowler Badass) is the best Gunzerker head. This is an objective fact.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zokari posted:

How the heck do you kill an enemy "with slag?" I need to do that for an optional mission, but I can't figure it out. I've tried just killing them with a slag gun and also slagging them then killing them with another weapon, but neither way worked.
It should mean killing them while they're under a slag effect, you know when they go all gooey purple. Just shooting them with a slag weapon won't necessarily do it, if the actual slag effect doesn't trigger.
If it doesn't work, probably just a glitch.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

fatman1683 posted:

Does Slag have a burn effect like the other three? You might have to let them die from the burn rather than killing them with the weapon.

It does not.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

folks posted:

Axton build stuff
As the previous guy said, the Longbow turret skill is very much worth it in TVHM. While handy, the actual longbow mechanic isn't even the main point, but the fact that the skill doubles your turret's hitpoints. This does wonders to the turret's survivability in TVHM. I tried the shield bubble too, but found out it goes down way too fast on TVHM to be of real use.

Other than that, I've just gone for a lot of uptime on the turret (Sentry, Preparation) so I get as much use as possible from my maxed out Battlefront. I also have Metal Storm maxed and a few points in Onslaught and Quick Charge, and thus when I have the turret out and the first enemy goes down, I get pretty massive combat boosts going on.

Another skill on the gunpowder tree I consider "must have" is Do or Die. I lost count ages ago how many times spamming grenades in FFYL has saved my hide.

So in summary, for my current build the turret is more for drawing aggro and buffing me than for direct damage, and for further survivability I have focused on shield recharge quite heavily. A bit of a hodgepodge build but it works rather well, I pretty much ran roughshod over the Bandit Slaughter arena the other day.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't get how people find Roland's turret in BL1 sucky. Just select the right elemental artifact and put some skill points in it and it will mow stuff down just fine even in PT2. Or at least that was my experience.

It is true however that Axton's turret is just in a league of its own compared to Roland's. You can either spec it to just kill loving everything that ever existed, or more for taking some aggro off of you and providing you a massive buff with Battlefront like I do. It's fantastic. And the simple fact that you can pick it up early to shorten the cooldown is awesome.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zoran posted:

No, he really does have substantially higher DPS with a Master Blaster mod, but only with a good Ogre and his on-kill buffs. It's hard to overstate how incredible a weapon the Ogre is, particularly for Brick.
Yeah, everyone always harps on the Hellfire being OP, which it is because it's just so goddamn common. The Ogre is, I daresay, even more ludicrously powerful, but it's also exceedingly rare in comparison. I'm pretty sure I've found like fifteen or twenty Hellfires to every one Ogre I've found.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr. Vile posted:

Psycho quotes are just the best all around.

Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket! :black101:
I completely lost my poo poo when a psycho charged at me, and in a very heartfelt manner yelled I LOVE YOU!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LAY-ZX posted:

gently caress, is that a Drifter in the launch trailer? I hated those bastards in Knoxx. Any chance they no longer have five million health and kill you in one hit?
Yup, there are drifters alright. I didn't find them as bad as they were in the first game though. They can stand far less damage even without hitting the crit spots, for one.

Other field notes so far: Spores are creepy as gently caress and jesus christ badass savages are a chore. Witch doctors are pretty fun and cool though. Also egg collecting quest guy was loving hilarious.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, the level cap raising upgrade DLC thingamagog doesn't seem to be up in Steam yet. Which is slightly agitating.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I went to try UVHM out briefly, and I can't see what the pissing and moaning is about. :confused:
I don't have a single legendary piece of gear and I'm certainly not some sort of FPS god with a meticulously tweaked character build either. While the enemies certainly were tougher, I didn't have any significant problems. I just used a slag mirv grenade and went for headshots like usual.

Granted, I can see bosses and badasses might get more problematic, didn't fight any of those yet. Gonna wait for the level cap raise before I play any further.

EDIT: Aaaand I see the pack is up on Steam now.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kaethela posted:

When you get teleported into Marcus's storeroom, does he say anything different if you don't actually take anything?
I've wondered the same thing but never actually got around to trying it because walking through a loot-filled area without taking anything is so utterly innatural and against everything I stand for as a Borderlands player.

Second UVHM trip report: Still been mostly fighting bullymongs, died a total of one time and even that was because of the usual "only remaining enemy fucks right off and hides behind a rock" bullshit. Even killed a pair of badasses without going down. Mainly using a level 50 Lascaux and a purple triple-barrel Torgue shotty, both tear poo poo right the gently caress up if you have a reliable source of slag.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

UnknownMercenary posted:

From the posts on the Gearbox forums, it sounds like the legendary drop rates are extremely high to compensate for the increased difficulty.

I can't wait. :getin:
Might be true, I already found a KerBlaster.

The bigger bandit bases, like the one where Midge-Mong is located, have been a considerable amount harder than the earlier parts, but still quite doable. Progress is slower than in TVHM but I'm liking the challenge and having fun.

Not looking forward to meeting feral stalkers/skags, though.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 2, 2013

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I slagged Flynt with a grenade and whacked him a few times with my 200k damage Torgue launcher. Dude went down like a scrub. :smug:

A couple things I've noticed:
1) Vehicle weapons seem to have been buffed quite a bit. The Runner's machine guns tear thigs to loving ribbons.
2) Seems to me like Badasses haven't had their health buffed quite as much as normal mobs. At least it seems to me like they're not as tough in relation to mooks as in TVHM. Might just be imagining it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sloppy posted:

So UVHM is unlocked for everyone, do you need to have the Season Pass to get the extra levels?
No, you can buy the UVHM upgrade pack separately for like 5 bucks/euros. It's just included in the season pass as well.

• Locked thread