Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Discworld references? In MY Borderlands DLC? :aaa:

These items look awesome. I wonder if the Antagonist is just Slag, or if it comes in other elements. I doubt it, and Slag is awesome enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GeckoMissingo posted:

Gunzerker is a fair and balanced class. Nothing to see here :toot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBZ0mWBKh4

What. How.

I've only recently started playing Gunzerker. How does this work? How does he keep Gunzerking forever?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm going to have fun with this guy :allears:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Spacedad posted:

But last night I met Tiny Tina for the first time and...good lord. No.

She's like "what a marketing exec who read about 4chan and reddit in Time magazine thinks internet culture is" and then filtered through a highly irritating voice actor. She's the 'psychopathic Tank Girl-ish child' cliche we've seen a lot of times before, and done in a really poor way that doesn't endear us to her.

Tiny Tina has caused a real split in the fanbase; some people love her, some people can't stand her. It blew up in Gearbox's face a few months ago when people started saying she promoted racist stereotypes. She gets better, I promise, and only really shows up for that part of the story and one or maybe two other missions. The newest DLC, which features her, apparently really tones those parts of her character down, but I haven't played it yet.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Does Zer0 suck or something? I've been playing as him and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm only like level 12.

No, Zer0 does not suck. He's really quite awesome.

...at least in Normal mode and TVHM. I haven't played him in UVHM yet, however.

Part of it depends on which tree you go down. Sniper Zer0 (left tree) and Melee Zer0 (right tree) play completely differently.

Actually, can someone else comment on Bloodshed Zer0 in UVHM? I love Many Must Fall, and I know you can get massive amounts of damage with the right equipment, namely a Rapier, a good Strength relic, and a Roid shield. But does it work with MMF chain kills? Or is the kunai skill the only viable ultimate skill that Zer0 has...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The Sniping tree ultimate is underwhelming as it is, so I imagine it's practically useless in UVHM. I guess that leaves Death Bl0ss0m as the only really viable skill in UVHM.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

magicalmako posted:

I hoard too many guns and things, how do I stop this?

Eventually, you'll figure out what weapons work well for your character. You'll also eventually have enough backpack slots that toting around 5-10 extra guns is worthwhile. Generally speaking, if you haven't used a gun in a while, just sell it. The exceptions to this rule are high-quality (or very rare) weapons that fill a niche in your armory. For example, I find corrosive weaponry very useful, but I don't need one always equipped.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Only grab things that are a) within one or two levels of your level, and b) green and up (or maybe blue and up). It took a while for me to be able to say no to collecting everything with a colored shaft of light coming out of it, but it's more fun this way.

This is good advice, especially if you're playing with altered loot tables. Otherwise you're going to be ignoring 90% of what you see. The only reason I have to pick up EVERY SINGLE ITEM is money. However, money isn't much of an issue in this game since you're generally going to be spending it on the occasional ammo refill, respeccing, and the slot machines. (The money lost from respawning doesn't count since that's just a percentage of the money you have--you'll still come back, even if you're out of cash.) Rarely will you want to buy anything from the vendors.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even their special item is not going to be better than something you could find in the field in five minutes.

I was fortunate enough to see a Pyrophobia legendary rocket launcher as the item of the day at the vendor in Thousand Cuts. It was ~$3,000,000. My friend and I had barely half that. It was a disappointing day.

Then again, we were in the end game of normal mode at the time, and it would have been a useless item within a few levels, I'm sure. Moral of the story: Even when the item of the day is worth it, it isn't worth it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Entirely too many good items from vendors.

Do you play with the modified loot tables? I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes for the vendors. It's probably worth looking into.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Russad posted:

I don't use any modified loot tables, and I've picked up 3 or 4 legendary class mods, a couple of grenade mods, and some shields. I've seen other stuff, too, but not that I could afford/was interested in buying.

I guess you just got really lucky! The vendors tend to be pretty much trash for me, besides the occasional purple or the very rare legendary. Lots of bad white shields.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Box stock. Only modifications I've done have been limited (but amusing) item generation/swapping with Gibbed's save editor, and doing a rebuild of my Psycho when I accidentally overwrote the save doing item swapping. :smith:

For a while, I had Legendaries popping up at a highly-increased rate, compared to drat near the entire playtime previous. (Bouncing Bonnie and another Skullcrusher picked up off the ground, for example. And I just had two Bee shields drop in Tiny Tina's Crumpets of BADASSITUDE!, one from a tree and one from a skeleton, two days apart or so.

I also had a Loot Midget pop out of a stalker pile in the Wildlife Exploitation preserve, so :iiam:. (That was the same run where I found a Conference Call - can't recall if that was off a Loot Midget or a Midget WAR Loader, or maybe a Badass elemental skag.

Maybe the Random Number Generator glitched and was stuck generating "good" numbers for a while?

I've seen a lot of people in this thread get Bees from the Tiny Tina DLC. Not sure what's going on there, really. It's more regular than just luck...

Besides that...all praise the RNG Gods :pray:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

You know what's missing from this game that should really be in it? A plain-jane, regular old assault rifle and sub machine gun weapon types.

I would kill for this game to have something like Dahl guns but without the forced burst fire on zoom. If only bandit guns weren't so horrible in every single way other than clip count.

edit: and having a Doom style gatling gun weapon type wouldn't kill nobody neither.

What about Vladof guns? Their special thing is high fire rates, and their magazine sizes are usually pretty good too. Unfortunately, they don't make SMGs. But you might like their assault rifles (e.g. Guerillas), and their Spiniguns are pretty similar to gatling guns.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Is there a particular fire weapon(or several) that I should hunt for?

Hellfire.

Though to be honest, I would expect slag and shock to be more useful...

Solumin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 19, 2013

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
New DLC announcement coming this weekend! http://mp1st.com/2013/07/18/new-borderlands-2-dlc-to-be-announced-soon-according-to-gearbox-president/

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Malt posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/2k

So far they have only shown a sequel to the zombie DLC from Borderlands 1.

Zombie TK Baha's Revenge before Halloween.

Hellborn Krieg is going to absolutely amazing in this. More so then usual. :getin:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Maybe, just maybe, they'll go back and balance out the scaling by patching UVHM and--
wait never mind this is Gearbox.

But with these numbers in front of them, they're going to have to do SOMETHING, right?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah, right. I'm still new to that tree. And so melee buffs DO affect the damage of that melee override attack? I swore they didn't. For instance, you won't do the melee weapon attack animation if you have a bladed melee weapon.

Execute is Zer0's melee override skill.

Borderlands Wiki posted:

As it counts as a Melee Override ability, even if a bayonet\bladed weapon is equipped, performing an Execute will display a sword slash animation (slightly different from the normal melee sword slash). The melee damage bonus from the bladed weapon still applies.

Many Must Fall just sends out another decoy and adds 2 seconds to the Decepti0n timer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

I'm about 8 hours in with Zer0 but the consensus seems to be that he's gimped in the endgame, so I'm thinking of cutting my losses and starting over. Any other classes considered underpowered? I don't need the most OP class, just don't want to be at a disadvantage once I start getting to high levels.

Are you enjoying Zer0 so far? Then stick with him. The point of the game is to maximize funhaving. If you're having fun with Zer0 right now, then keep playing him right now. If you're not, go play a different class. There's no consensus on UVHM so far; some people have an easy time, but a lot of people find it frustrating.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

When does Krieg get good (I'm around 11)? His ability is a lot of fun, but it seems very situational so far, especially in group play.

Which skill tree are you using? Bloodlust is good from the start, though you'll benefit more once you get good guns and more ammo. Mania is also pretty good from the start. Hellfire can be difficult at the beginning, but it gets really rewarding once you sink enough points into it and have good elemental weapons.

Buzz Axe Rampage shouldn't feel situational. I mean, the best situation for it is when you want to kill everything--which is the whole game. I've found that throwing the saw makes BAR feel much more useful instead of trying to land the melee hits.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If it doesn't work for your build, then don't bother with it. Its big advantage outside of the skill bonuses is the Cooldown Rate bonus. Maybe Anarchy would be too overpowered if they backed it up with the legendary class mod?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Scarlett and :torgue: at 15-30

Hammerlock and Tina is beat the game, around 30+

Awww...I already beat the Warrior, at level 35. I guess I'll just :torgue: my way through the first two and try not to feel bad about being overleveled for Tina.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

BL2 Hotfix posted:

• Flynt now has a chance to drop the Tinderbox and other unique items.

Can anyone explain this? I thought Flynt has always dropped the Tinderbox--I'm sure I've seen one every time I've fought him in the story mission.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
A whole bunch of cool class builds have been discussed in this thread already, and a lot questions keep coming about the builds. In the OP (well, the second post) there's a section for class builds, but there's only a single Siren build. Could we get the builds mentioned in the thread added to the OP? Grenadier Axton and Hellborn Krieg come to mind in particular.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In the meantime, hope you can consistently find level-appropriate gear for every damage type, because they also quadrupled the health of every-loving-thing. Why? Why not raise it by something sensible, like 50%? Or even double it? Why does everything have to be a massive bullet-sponge? And this was the thing they were working on when, back in January, the community was talking about the growing problems with exponential curves that we were totally going to run into after level 50?

Maybe there's a way to reduce the enemy health to x2 or x3 using Cheat Engine? Alternatively, (or additionally) we all complain at Gearbox until they patch it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
First attempt at making a Zer0 build. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Melee Zer0
Zer0's Bl00dshed tree focuses on buffing melee damage to astronomical heights. His action skill, Decepti0n, provides a bonus of up to 650% damage to melee attacks, which can be raised further with other skills, Strength relics, and Roid shields.

Basic Build - Level 31
Bl00dshed: 26 points
The point of this build is to chain together melee kills using Many Must Fall. Most of the skills focus on buffing melee damage one way or another, but there are some variations possible with this tree.
- Be Like Water: Considering that you're focusing on chaining melee kills, Be Like Water can be pretty lackluster. However, it can work well if you pair it with, say, a Jakobs shotgun and make sure you alternate between melee and gun attacks. This is a viable strategy when you're working towards Many Must Fall. Alternatively, just put the points into Killing Bl0w. Don't put them in Grim, since that skill makes Roid shields less useful.
- Resurgence vs. Like The Wind: Resurgence is a somewhat useful skill. Until you have the Law & Order combo, you have no real way to heal yourself. A fully spec'd Resurgence with a class mod is a great source of healing, which frees you to use other weapons such as the Rapier. I suggest speccing into it, since you may not always be able to depend on the Order shield. Once you do, the bonus provided by Like The Wind will be more useful. It's triggered by Execute attacks, too!

From here you can branch into either the Sniping tree or the Cunning tree.

Cunning Bloodshed - Level 57
Bloodshed: 26 points; Cunning: 26 points
The Cunning tree adds a few more sources for melee damage and some utility skills. The important thing is Death Bl0ss0m, which can potentially slag enemies and applies Death Mark. The last few skill points can be used to flesh out the Bl00dshed tree a little bit more.

Bloodshed Sniping
There's nothing really to say about this build, and I'm not going to link it. Pick whatever skills you want in the Sniping tree and pick up B0re. It'll let you see critical points. Thing is, this tree doesn't work well with the melee-focused build we have going here. You're much better off going into Cunning and grabbing Death Bl0ss0m.

Gear
Ninja Class Mod: Up to 52% Melee Damage bonus. Skill bonuses are Backstab, Killing Bl0w, and Resurgence. If you don't plan on using Resurgence, a blue +6 Killing Bl0w/+5 Backstab Ninja class mod is the way to go. Otherwise, a purple +5 KB/+5 Back/+5 Resurge is better.
Legendary Hunter Class Mod: The Legendary Hunter is a great class mod. The skill bonuses (+5 to all Tier 1 skills except 0ptics) are worth putting 1 point into those skills. The red text gives you a 10% health back each time you use Decepti0n. With the cooldown rate the mod provides, you're going to be in and out of Decepti0n constantly.
Strength Relic: Sheer +Melee damage. While Execute is technically a melee override skill, it doesn't have any cooldown and doesn't benefit from the relic's second bonus.
Law & Order: +100% Melee damage revolver + High-bonus Roid shield? Health restored on each melee attack? Hell yes! Bonus: The Law is 100% accurate when scoped.
Rapier: Highest melee damage bonus gun at +200%. This is going to be your main weapon once you get your hands on it.
Love Thumper: Incredibly high roid damage with a really long recharge delay. However, the explosive novas can hurt allies.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dukeofdummies posted:

200%? how the hell are you managing that? :stare:

Use Cheat Engine to modify badass ranks. If you spend a badass point, it'll save your modified values so you can only do it once.

That's right: Cheating is the best way to enjoy UVHM :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In my fever dreams, I see a version of PT2 or PT2.5 that stays in TVHM, but keeps UVHM's feature of enemies scaling to you +/- a level, even beyond level 50+, so that you can continue building to 61. Those legendary loot midgets are a possible spawn, and Pearlescents are possible drops. No 400% buff to enemy health, and no significant de-buff to mismatched damage/enemy types (beyond those already in TVHM). UVHM stays exactly as it is: As a "nightmare" mode for those who want to play extra hard. Maybe even give the people who beat it a loving medal or something.

This actually sounds really fun. Call the new Nightmare mode "Jack Hates You" or something like that. (Or, hell, go with the raid boss mission theme and call it "You. Will. Die. (A lot)")

Or another way: Keep UVHM in the sense of enemies scaling to your level and you can reset your progress at any time. Make it basically a free-play run where you can keep playing Borderlands 2 with a fully-leveled character with top-tier weaponry. In addition, create the "Nightmare" mode with the all the other parts of UVHM: Increased slag duration and damage, increased swap speed, 4x regenerating health on enemies. (I'm less sure about other parts, like the increased boss drops and Seraph crystal drops.) You could do some other things to balance it, like make the new UVHM harder than TVHM (2x health on enemies?) just to keep things interesting.

I'd love to see this as a mod for BL2, at the very least. But I'm not sure how easy the game is to mod.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
None of the Loot Midgets that I've killed have ever dropped anything significant. If I'm lucky, I might see a couple ammo boxes or a health kit. This has been both in single player and in multiplayer (with other people hosting) in Normal mode.

Needless to say, I'm pretty jealous of everyone else's LM drops.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AirRaid posted:

Loot Midgets in Normal/TVHM are worthless, though. It's the UVHM ones that drop good stuff. And even then not all the time.

And then poo poo like this happens:

DressCodeBlue posted:

So I finally got my friend to play this game with me, and we're cleaning up Frostburn Canyon. She pops a vanilla Loot Midget, and it drops a level 9 Bitch. :smugdog:

Such is life in the Zone.

Wait, wrong game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

The Bee I might keep for a future Hellborn Krieg, but the Leech looks kind of crappy.

The Leech is nice because it instantaneously restores health. No healing trails, no distance/time limit. It does damage, you get health back. I'm not sure if it restores health to just you or to all allies equally.
Consider using it if you're already using Transfusions or you need a steady source of health, I guess.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Axton, Survival Tree. Aside from double turrets, I will always love the Grit ability since I'm a sucker for Luck stuff in rpgs.

I like this idea, especially since most Axton builds focus on :torgue:ing everything. Survival would change things up a bit.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
^^^ Whenever you feel like you need new weapons. Seriously, just use them freely. Why bother stockpiling them? More codes keep appearing.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've put over 250 hours into BL2 without knowing "Gwen's Head" was a unique pistol, and tonight I came across six of them in about an hour long period in the Dust on solo UVHM with default drop rates. :wtc:

Gwen's Head is like the Lascaux in that it will always be available in the area it spawns, namely the Dust. It appears in a box randomly placed somewhere in the Dust, as you probably noticed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Fister posted:

Do elemental effects stack? i.e. If i keep firing at a flesh enemy with my fire elemental SMG, does it increase the number of fire dot to the enemy?

Confirmed on the wiki:

BL2 Wiki posted:

On every hit there is a fixed probability that a damage over time effect will trigger, i.e. the weapon "procs."
All damage over time procs are independent, and several can be happening at once, or even be applied at once. If the applications are staggered, there will be more numbers flying off of the target. If the applications are simultaneous, the damage will combine into a single number on each tick.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Flergatron 3000 posted:

But now I'm slagging my way through UVHM with Zer0 because I want to see if there's any other options other than :torgue: EVERYTHING EXPLODING ALL THE TIME :torgue:

How's that going? I love Zer0, but I haven't taken him past Normal mode yet.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If you're having fun with it, then go with it. There are some trees in the game where every skill is worthwhile, (I'm looking at you, Hellborn Krieg) and if it works with you and your play style...well, why not? Live by the Principle of Maximum Funhaving!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
New Borderlands 2 hotfixes! http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1071/borderlands-2-hot-fixes-8-6

Gearbox posted:

Borderlands 2 Hot Fixes
August 6, 2013
  • Further corrected the alignment of holographic sights on pistols.
  • Summoning Deathtrap with "Sharing is Caring" enabled no longer causes a Turtle shield's health penalties to be applied twice.
  • Adjusted drop rates of unique items from Doc Mercy, Mad Dog, Savage Lee and McNally to be more consistent across all modes.

Edit: ^^^Curses! Foiled again.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AirRaid posted:

So you know the Loot Midget chat from earlier?

This just happened, on my "Whites only" run...

You lucky bastard!

I guess you should bank it for another character?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

Which Hellborn skill was it that tends to put a bunch of fire debuffs on you that just demolish you?

I believe it was Flame Flare (4th tier skill). No idea if it still does that though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

(The awesomeness of Gaige's dad)

This is the best idea :allears:

Which raises the question: How moddable is Borderlands 2? And BL1, for that matter. It would be really cool to play the first game with all the new weapons, grenade mods, etc. from the second.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is 0ptics (the +Zoom skill) actually useful? It seems like it would maybe improve some sniper rifles but make others worse because you'd have too much zoom, which was a problem with some guns in BL1.

At One with the Gun at least gives +Mag Size and +Reload Speed.

Ularg posted:

How tied are the classes to their "preferred" weapons? I mainly want to use SMGs and pistols on Zero with a splash of sniping because I really like this ability to GTFO of combat.

There's no close tie, really. Zer0's the only one who has a whole tree tied to one kind of gun, I think, and that's only the upper skills in that tree for the most part. I think the other characters may have a skill (and a class mod or two) that gives a bonus to a specific weapon type, but then you're going out of your way to use that weapon type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Duke posted:

Completely worthless. You never need to go past the default zoom at any point in the game.

That's pretty much what I figured. Thankfully, the Legendary Hunter com doesn't boost it.

Krieg has a few weapon-specific skills, like Bloody Revival (+Assault Rifle damage in FFYL), Salt the Wound (+Shotgun Damage stacks), and Pain is Power (-Sniper Crit damage). Axton has the +Assault Rifle mag size skill, and Salvador has I'm Your Huckleberry to buff pistols a little. All in all, weapon types aren't that important.

• Locked thread