Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you're going to be solo almost all the time and you only really want to start/level one character while still going through all the DLC/modes, who's the best to use? I'm leaning towards the Siren or Axton, but I don't want to get to the higher difficulty modes and find out I'm SOL for solo play.

I started with Krieg, who is awesome and a lot of fun, but I'm getting tired of getting all these cool guns and then meleeing everything to death, so I think I am going to reroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Or they just couldn't think of an iconic Soviet SMG to ape. Probably the latter.

The PPSh-41!

I've been tempted to hack some of my guns up, instead of increasing drop rates, just because I like that particular gun. Moxxi's Heart Breaker shotgun is a particular temptation because I like having a decent shotgun that's easy on the ammo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah you're broken, sorry man. I don't want to live in a world where punching with exploding fists is unfun.

My problem with Brick is the same problem I have with Krieg and, to some extent, with melee Zer0. Namely, finding awesome loot is a lot less fun when the majority of my kills are melee kills that utterly ignore my weapons and a big part of my enjoyment in these Diablo-esque game is finding awesome new loot.

My favorite lately has been Maya.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

So how does the DLC rate in single player?

I liked Pirate's Booty and Torgues Campaign of Carnage, but I'm really kind of blah on the Sir Hammerlock one after being a few quests into it. Does it get better, or should I move on to Tiny Tina's Keep?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, my first expereince with Hammerlock's was "gently caress these bullet sponges", so I went and downloaded a character editor and upgraded my guns to level, since I had been using under-leveled guns since I was coming straight out of killing the Warrior. After upgrading my guns, my next thought turned out to be "gently caress these bullet sponges", so I decided to see what the public opinion was.

Moving on to Tiny Tina! Thanks for the advice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They don't seem that bad, yet. Phaselock, kill, repeat.

It's not like they're those loving witch doctors or something.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I went into the Hammerlock DLC right after killing the Warrior, and hated it. The enemies were bullet sponges that could soak up entire clips and the witch doctors are bullshit.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you hold the loot button while you're over ammo or money or poo poo, it should loot all of that stuff within a certain range. It gets quest items too, IIRC, and there's a few areas where you can use this to loot a quest item through a wall.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I love Krieg's flavour and I love the idea of Krieg, I just hate getting all these new guns and being like "Welp, better put this to the side and keep using my way underleveled Moxxi weapon while I melee everything to death."

Other than Krieg and Salvador, is anybody else good at soloing in the higher difficulties?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think the games are more fun solo because I can explore and wander at my own pace without worrying about somebody else wanting to run off and making me miss quest dialogues or the like, play around roofjumping in the city to try and get to weird places, etc, etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Solumin posted:

Bandit Plasma Casters can go jump off a cliff though. Who thought drunk projectiles was a good thing??

A bandit Plasma Caster is a glorious hose of burning death that's used to wash bandits out of close quarters. Just point in the general direction of the enemy and hold the trigger.

One of the very few weapons I've ever bothered to transfer character to character is a Bandit Incendiary Plasma Caster for just this reason.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah - as a new player this has been my main frustration, especially on bosses. Stuff like that giant aquatic thresher that you lure out with Hammerlock's arm is just not that fun to fight because it's mainly a question of whether you have enough health/shields/DPS to go toe to toe with it and has nothing to do with how mobile you can be, how good a shot you are on the move, etc.

A dodge button might make things too but it seems like even trying to make intelligent use of cover is pointless on some of these fights.

That giant aquatic thresher is actually an example of a fight that intelligent use of cover makes much easier. If you clear the platform before summoning it, you can climb up to the platform after summoning the thresher and then it becomes a matter of dodging shots, smart use of cover, and good aim.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Having already beaten Normal mode with Maya, I can't decide who to go through TVHM mode with. Who all can solo the raid bosses with some effectiveness? I'm not opposed to modding in guns if that's what it takes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Maya. The thing is, I'm not going to replay it as everybody, so I'd kind of like to get a replay in as somebody else just to change things up. Maybe Zer0.

Robot Assassin?
Maybe? Not sure what he is.
Haiku are cool, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CJacobs posted:

edit: And sniping kinda sucks in a game where 2/3rds of the enemies run directly into your face to swat you with melee.

The way I play Zero is by treating sniper rifles like two-handed Jakobs pistols. If you put enough eridium upgrades into snipers then you've got more than enough ammo to just hip-fire at anything and zoom only for damage bonuses, but you won't miss in the first place because of the pinpoint accuracy.

The only sniper rifle I found that I actually liked using was the Buffalo, the scopeless quest reward sniper rifle. I think it's easier to make close range headshots with it. Now that I've gotten over my distaste for save editing, I just go into gibbed and pull the scopes off of sniper rifles and carry a scoped and an unscoped rifle.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I dont like Hyperion weapons at all and never ever use them. In my screenshot, the other shotgun I have has less accuracy (woo, shotgun accuracy), slower rate of fire but I'm a Commando so lol, it actually reloads in just over a second, technically fires two fewer times before reloading, and does less elemental damage. As stated I didnt realize it healed me and I missed the +100% Critical Hit damage because I pretty much decided I would never use it because it is Hyperion.

The Heartbreaker has a non-standard shot pattern that never changes, so it avoids the whole "Hyperion weapons suck until half the clip is gone" thing.

The Heartbreaker is honestly one of the best shotguns in the game. I'd use it over that RokSalt in a heartbeat.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

How can I play this game solo? I have a Gage at 14 and everything takes a trillion years to kill.
The mission to save whats-his-name from the prison from all the robots is impossible. I literally used all the ammo for my three guns and grenades and barely made a dent.

edit: I didn't play the first much. Should I hold on to the one golden key I have or use it?
I'm not really above using Cheat Engine or something. I just wanna shoot mans, I don't give a stonk about the story.

I got the gibbed editor for the savegames and used it to keep my guns leveled up to my current level. That alone went a loooong ways towards making things better. Having guns just 2 or 3 levels under spec can make a huge difference in your kill speed.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kikas posted:

How's the Pre-Sequel by the way?

I thought it was decent. If you're only going to play through it once I suggest doing it as Claptrap; all the player characters are voiced in this game and I think he, unsurprisingly, gets the best lines.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I didn't think the final boss of the DLC was that bad, at least not on Normal. Granted, I was using the gibbed editor to keep my guns up to level so I wasn't having the usual problem of slightly underleveled guns.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Claptrap gets the best lines and is worth playing for that reason, imo, even if the randomness of his special is infuriating sometimes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Deakul posted:

Anything to make the tedium of the game and its huge empty world and bullet sponge enemies go away.

Or is this game really just not for me and I should quit and never look back? :negative:
How loving HARD is it to translate a loot based ARPG into an FPS well?

I use the gibbed editor to give myself specific guns and to keep my guns up to spec. I find that just keeping my guns current solves most of the bullet spongey problems(not counting Sir Hammerlock's Bullshit Safari and TVHM).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

No, I just haven't played in a while and I thought it went "normal, VH, TVH". I meant whatever the highest one is.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One thing I disliked about Krieg was that he's so gear-independent that getting gear didn't really feel like getting upgrades at all because I spent so much of combat in melee mode.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Pirate DLC is fun.

Hammerlock's DLC would be fun if it weren't filled with such miserable goddamn bullet sponges. Sadly, however, it is filled with miserable goddamn bullet sponges and any fun in it disappears along with all your ammunition.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Claptrap is a mistake awesome.

FTFY

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WarLocke posted:

e: Question about eiridium management/spending in BL2 - my first impulse is to only use it on backpack space (and maybe bank space if I really need it) until capped, but it drops so rarely compared to moonstones in TPS I'm just dreading having to save up 100/150/200 for the last few upgrades. Is there a trick to finding more or is it just luck/opening every random container and hoping, and just deal with basic ammo capacity until then?

If you don't mind cheating, the gibbed save editor makes maxing out your eridium trivial.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Claptrap is my favorite for those ones because he doesn't breathe, which means that his oxygen meter is basically just his boost bar.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The e-tech SMGs can be horrifying bullethoses of elemental destruction.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think I might use that L32 Krieg save from the OP and finally play Torgue's Campaign of Carnage. I got part way through it in my first game, but quit because I was overleveled and it was boring.

Krieg definitely seems to be optimal for maximum Torgueishness, but do I want to do Hellfire or Bloodlust? Which is more awesome? Which is more Torgue? I don't want to do melee Krieg, he bores me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

I can understand the sentiment. I was running a Krieg for a while and was having an absolute ball until the reality that the guns didn't really matter anymore dawned on me and it was like a spell had been broken and I never touched him again.

This is it right here. I did Krieg on my first playthrough right up until a point in the 20's where when I got a fantastic gun and realized that I was never going to actually shoot it at anybody.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

Maya or Krieg imo.

Kaethela posted:

Krieg or Gaige, and then the other one. Both are fantastic for opposite reasons.

In a dissenting opinion, I think that Krieg is one of the least fun characters to play; in a game based around gunfights I think that the melee dude is pretty boring due to the way he converts every single fight into W+M1. I realized that I was bored of this at about L20ish, when I got an awesome new gun and decided not to use it because my L10ish revolver had a better bayonet and that's all I cared about.

My favorite is Maya. Quick cooldown on a useful power, and it doesn't autowin fights for you like the turret or Deathtrap.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 24, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

You have plenty of accuracy when every other bullet bounces off a wall and goes straight toward an enemy, of which every 5th bullet will also ricochet off that enemy and hit another.

That's not the same, though. I mean, with Gaige, you might as well just not bother aiming at all, you just point in their general direction and hold the trigger down. Sure, it's effective, but it doesn't actually feel like you're doing anything to earn the kill.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Tiny Tina DLC is a D&D campaign and basically everything is a riff off of some fantasy game/series/etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WarLocke posted:

I finally gave Maya a serious try (and incidentally, I now blame Axton for my prior BL2 burnout - playing a shootmans in a shootmans game who does nothing but shootmans and occasionally dropping a turret that also shootmans got repetitive) and she really does seem really fun and awesome. Her phaselock skill is up often enough that you really feel like you can integrate into your play, and all her skills that play off/synergize with it seriously change up the basic shooting cycle.

My problem with Axton(and Gaige, to a lesser extent) is that their uniques can pretty much solo entire encounters when you're at lower levels. Drop the turret, turret clears the entire encounter. You can pretty much count on this for most of the first playthrough, in my experience, and even a lot of the second if you get any of the turret buffing abilities. It makes for a boring playthrough.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gaige frustrates me because my favorite thing in games like this is the satisfaction of shooting things and her whole shootman style is "it's impossible to aim, just point towards them and let it rip".

Kikas posted:

Nah, with Axton you need to spec into two turrets on UVHM so they can draw aggro so you can blast faces off with your legendaries or suffer a swift and horrible death was my experience. Even on TVHM it felt like my turred died a LOT faster then before. Which is to say, it died at all.
But for the first playthrough? Longbow Nuke turrent and never look back. I've had the luck of hitting lvl 31 for the Nuke just before the second Circle of Slaughter, the one near the Slab Scar :black101: :torgue:

I feel like my Phalanx Shield Slag Turret did a pretty okay job of dominating trash encounters all by itself in Playthrough 2.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

watho posted:

Blight Phoenix did get buffed along with many "rank"-based skills but I don't know if it's actually good though. Probably not.

The problem with Blight Phoenix is that it can blow up barrels, so it's very easy to kill yourself with it when there's no enemies around you for FFYL.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Torgue guns are fine.

If the rockets are taking too long to get to the target you need to get closer to the target.

:torgue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Gaige?

Personally, I hate how the Anarchy mechanic basically removes all shooter gameplay from the character.

• Locked thread