Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Xabi posted:

The fact that it took 23 years for us to get this report is a complete disgrace.

Everything about it is disgraceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Thatcher's government had decided after Heysel that football fans were all mindless hooligans and needed to be totally controlled and criminalised at every opportunity even if it meant killing the game as a spectator sport. They tried to introduce compulsory ID cards that had to be shown by every spectator at every game and backed up some clubs banning all away supporters. They most likely saw this as another opportunity to pin the blame on fans, deflect it from themselves and introduce more draconian rules. They would have happily seen the game wither and die to get rid of the "problem" - of course there was no money in it then.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

c0burn posted:

This is absolutely astonishing. I'm gobsmacked

Everyone knew there was a degree of cover up but the effort the police have gone to is shocking.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Most of the officers involved are no longer in the force and thus will get bum raped.

The alteration of witness statements would have been done around Chief Constable level and is pretty much as wrong as it gets barring acts of violence, if they're still alive someone is going to jail for that.

Xabi posted:

The fact that it took 23 years for us to get this report is a complete disgrace.

"If they're still alive" being the point, keep kicking it down the road and eventually you're faced with ex-Chief Constables and cuntish Ex-Tory MPs who are in their 80s or some poo poo.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm trying to process what I'm reading here, don't want to start drawing manic conclusions straight away.

So far the overwhelming feeling isn't anger or disgust. It is very, very depressing. I've never been hugely invested in Hillsborough but this is breaking my heart a little bit.

[edit]just imagining the conversations that must have gone on between the people in power at the time, it's just horrible

Hoops fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 12, 2012

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
disgraceful. Just happy the truth is starting to see the light of day.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Just reading all the liveblogs, reactions and articles today has been utterly exhausting, and I'm genuinely on the verge of tears at work. I actually can't imagine the torment and agony the Hillsborough families have been going through for two decades, just heartbreaking. I truly hope this is just the beginning and some justice finally prevails.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

DickEmery posted:

"If they're still alive" being the point, keep kicking it down the road and eventually you're faced with ex-Chief Constables and cuntish Ex-Tory MPs who are in their 80s or some poo poo.

This is a massive issue for me as well. It's far too late.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
28 people had signs of no obstruction of airways
16 people heart and lungs showing definite signs of working

'Some overlap between those two figures' but 41 people had evidence that they had potential to survive past 3:15.

loving hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

luvd posted:

This is a massive issue for me as well. It's far too late.

Any prison time is better than none

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

The Collector posted:

disgraceful. Just happy the truth is starting to see the light of day.

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc1213/hc05/0581/0581.pdf

There it is.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Pardon the ignorance but have these crimes have not dated? Can the ones in charge back then can still be sanctioned now?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Scott Bakula posted:

Any prison time is better than none

Honestly even if they have to convict them posthumously they should do it.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

Most half hearted apology ever from Cameron. Refusing to accept his dear Thatcher could have been complicit in a cover up.

All cops and tories are bastards.

Irvine Patnick, the Thatcherite backbencher who went to The Sun and fed them the lies they reported (as part of a longstanding anti-football campaign, wanting ID cards, fences etc to curry favour with Maggie) remains to this day a member of the Conservative party. Cameron's quasi-apology can never seem genuine while this is the case.

and yes, Kelvin Mackenzie once apologised after direct pressure from Big Rupe, but then a few years later when he no longer had any News Int ties he got up at some awful private members club and gave a cartoon villain speech along the lines of "ha ha! I wasn't really sorry at all, the stupid dead idiots"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

sweek0 posted:

Pardon the ignorance but have these crimes have not dated? Can the ones in charge back then can still be sanctioned now?

The previous inquest ruled that there was no criminal negligence by the police so until thats overturned they cant be charged at all by UK law.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It would be nice if the sealed documents weren't being referred to as "new" evidence.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

irlZaphod posted:

It would be nice if the sealed documents weren't being referred to as "new" evidence.

David Anderson raised that, and Cameron acknowledged it is "newly published evidence" and not new evidence at all, it's been there since the day it happened but now everyone knows why it was suppressed.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
I genuinely thought I would never see this and I certainly never thought that the report would be this damning. I just always assumed that it would be the same cycle of cover-up and recrimination

garanzia
Jun 8, 2004
Cliched as it may be, I can't think of a title. OH SHI

irlZaphod posted:

He did get rebuked by a back bench question about this, reminding him that the "new evidence" was in fact around at the time and has been ignored and / or suppressed.

I saw linked above a pdf, but I couldn't get it to load, but the full report and appendices are listed on their website here: http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/report/

And a direct link to the report pdf : http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/report/HIP_report.pdf

I hope this is a first step. Whilst we have a disclosure of a huge amount of information, the panel's scope is a fact finding one, and no further. The AG needs to be looking at if prosecutions should be sought, a full legal enquiry needs to be convened, and the verdicts of the coroner need to be re-examined.

e: beaten on the first bit.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.

Timbers Jim posted:

I genuinely thought I would never see this and I certainly never thought that the report would be this damning. I just always assumed that it would be the same cycle of cover-up and recrimination

Same here. It's a very odd feeling. I am glad I have seen the day the truth is finally out, but the truth is even more horrifying than I could ever have imagined after following it closely for years, especially the CRB check/blood alcohol revelation and knowing that 41 people had the potential to be saved. This is progress, but there's a long way to go before we can say justice has really been done for the 96, starting with a new inquiry.

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

excuse me lady posted:

Thatcher's government had decided after Heysel that football fans were all mindless hooligans and needed to be totally controlled and criminalised at every opportunity even if it meant killing the game as a spectator sport. They tried to introduce compulsory ID cards that had to be shown by every spectator at every game and backed up some clubs banning all away supporters. They most likely saw this as another opportunity to pin the blame on fans, deflect it from themselves and introduce more draconian rules. They would have happily seen the game wither and die to get rid of the "problem" - of course there was no money in it then.

Also, South Yorkshire Police were integral to shutting down the miner's strike five years previously so there was a considerable institutional "debt" that was called on.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

To be honest, a lot of this is just going to be confirming or putting in writing details that are already known or widely accepted.

That the Sun headline was based on information being fed out by the South Yorkshire Police, and in particular, a Tory MP (Irvine Patnick) is not new. Kelvin Mackenzie never named his source, but it's been basically known that it was him for a good while.

Similarly, that all the deceased were given blood alcohol tests at autopsy was known already, and actually formed part of the evidence against the police series of events (none of them were drunk). That ambulances weren't let onto the field because the fans were "fighting" and that the police's intial concern was to form a barrier across the pitch to stop Liverpool fans from attacking the Forest fans in the other end were also both public, there are witness statements from the paramedics involved.

The new information is really the edited police statements and the evidence that people could have survived past 3.15pm. The reason why that's important, for anyone that isn't au fait with this, is that the original coroner's inquiry basically discounted any events after that point as being relevant. That is the cut-off point when you're either alive or dead.

In setting the 3.15pm cut-off, that absolves the police of most responsibility there. Basically, "yes, they could have done more, but everybody was already dead or unsaveable by that point, so let's not break balls". For a report to say that people could have survived after that point is therefore an incredibly key point that could make a lot of difference to the legal status of things.

That said, I tend to agree with the sentiment that it's realistically too late for anyone who was actually responsible to be held to account, particularly when you talk about it in terms of the complicity between the police, the press and the politicians to advance an agenda and to protect their mates (some things never change). I don't see that you "fix" Hillsborough by arresting the guy who opened the Leppings Lane gate. Far more of it was to do with cultures and attitudes of very senior people that ultimately made it what it was.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

bozza legernd!! top lad!!!!

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

That said, I tend to agree with the sentiment that it's realistically too late for anyone who was actually responsible to be held to account, particularly when you talk about it in terms of the complicity between the police, the press and the politicians to advance an agenda and to protect their mates (some things never change). I don't see that you "fix" Hillsborough by arresting the guy who opened the Leppings Lane gate. Far more of it was to do with cultures and attitudes of very senior people that ultimately made it what it was.

I agree, which is why we should be calling for the symbolic and public execution of Margaret Thatcher.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This is exactly the problem. Anyone that has any true responsibility is either very old or already dead so convicting them would be mostly an empty gesture at this point.

That's not to say it shouldn't still be done, but it certainly won't carry the same weight it would have had this been done twenty years ago.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The Sun didn't send a journalist to cover the panel, no representation at all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

The Sun didn't send a journalist to cover the panel, no representation at all.

Conflicts with BBC just saying that Trevor Hicks ordered anyone from the sun out of his conference.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Conflicts with BBC just saying that Trevor Hicks ordered anyone from the sun out of his conference.

Nobody was there to move, that's how they realised.

The Guardian Liveblog - 14:56 posted:

Hicks asks any Sun journalists present to leave the press conference. No one leaves, though, as one of the other family members points out "would they tell the truth?"

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Babby Thatcher posted:

Irvine Patnick, the Thatcherite backbencher who went to The Sun and fed them the lies they reported (as part of a longstanding anti-football campaign, wanting ID cards, fences etc to curry favour with Maggie) remains to this day a member of the Conservative party. Cameron's quasi-apology can never seem genuine while this is the case.

I may be wrong but I don't believe Cameron can expel people from the party. I believe that is for the chairperson to decide/do.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Xabi posted:

Nothing more to add really, absolutely shocking, all of it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Kelvin MacKenzie just offered his 'profuse apology'.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

gently caress him with a rake.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Where? And I'd like to see the BBC justify his continued employment after this

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

britishbornandbread posted:

I may be wrong but I don't believe Cameron can expel people from the party. I believe that is for the chairperson to decide/do.

I'm sure internet spam magnate Grant Shapps, who literally runs a shady PUA website, will get right on that

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

T. Mascis posted:

Where? And I'd like to see the BBC justify his continued employment after this

BBC News flashed it and reported it just after the silence, BBC reporter has just put it to the panel as well.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

The only apology from him that would be acceptable is to garote himself with barbed wire.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
McKenzie has apologised before and explicitly said afterwards that he wasn't sorry so why should this one be any different, kill him imo

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

pissy smelliott posted:

McKenzie has apologised before and explicitly said afterwards that he wasn't sorry so why should this one be any different, kill him imo

yeah he basically said "haha I'm not sorry at all"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

pissy smelliott posted:

imo bring back the death penalty but only for media editorial staff that have repeatedly called for the return of the death penalty

• Locked thread