Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheGoatFeeder posted:

This sums up my thoughts exactly, I mean we all suspected some things had been cooked, but not to this degree. The worst bit, the thing I really can't get my head around, is the amount of people that could have been saved after this magic 3:15 time, there is so much blood on the hands of whichever bastards made that decision to not allow any assistance or medical help to enter.

41 people. Almost half the body count. Forty one. I can't get my head around it.

Then I remember how many governments we've had that have obviously been privy to this. Five prime ministers. All the media that's covered this, why did none of the police or ambulance crews at the time come out and say anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

The front page of The Sun tomorrow, they've tried, but still, gently caress them.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Babby Thatcher posted:

bozza legernd!! top lad!!!!

I don't think tories understand what community and solidarity are.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheGoatFeeder posted:

The front page of The Sun tomorrow, they've tried, but still, gently caress them.

That was actually a pretty loving poor choice for a headline to be honest. "We're Sorry" should have been the only thing to leave the presses.

Dilkington posted:

I don't think tories understand what community and solidarity are.

Also water is wet.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The narrative from the Sun is that they're victims of the Police misleading them, there's no real apology there and they're still scum.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
I felt like a try hard idiot plastic for a long time for refusing to read articles linked from the sun but I don't regret it for a second.

Why do they refuse to admit they effed up? don't they have any sense of decency?:(

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

The Collector posted:

don't they have any sense of decency?
It's part of Murdoch's News Corporation... so no, no they don't.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The Collector posted:

don't they have any sense of decency?:(

Lmao no.

They have countdowns for famous youngsters reaching the age of consent.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ben Elton said in 88, in one of his stand ups "Lower than the Star, is the Sun. The Star is merely sexually perverted, the Sun is also politically perverted..."

24 years later and it's completely spot on. It's been a scum newspaper for as long as I can remember. They're no stranger to completely fabricated stories, even front page ones. Even if they were aware it was all bollocks I very much believe they'd have printed it anyway for the sheer fact that MacKenzie was buried so far up Thatcher's arse he could wink at Dennis at breakfast.

I believe MacKenzie said once "I didn't know it wasn't true at the time and therefore it wasn't a lie" about some bullshit headline he ran. Don't believe for a second that his successors are any better either. Anything under the Murdoch thumb is a pus filled rotten std addled oval office right to its core.

If The Sun had done anything other than publish a front page with "We're Sorry" with the full report being the only thing between the pages then it was the wrong thing to do. I wouldn't wipe my arse on it.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Collector posted:

I felt like a try hard idiot plastic for a long time for refusing to read articles linked from the sun but I don't regret it for a second.

Why do they refuse to admit they effed up? don't they have any sense of decency?:(

Nobody who didn't buy the Sun yesterday is going to buy it today, and they're going to avoid printing "THE SUN: GET ANGRY ABOUT STUFF AND LIES" just because.

That said, I'm reading the report now, and for what it's worth, both Whites News Agency and Irvine Patnick are basically getting their stories directly from South Yorkshire Police officers. I was assuming that there'd be a lot of hearsay, conjecture and chinese whispers involved, but no, the police were openly saying to reporters that supporters stole stuff and offered to rape people.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

The Collector posted:

You and me both. I'm proud to say I've never spent money to read the Sun/NotW and don't ever plan on doing so.

Also this pic has been going around on Twitter:

Burn the Sun to the ground, etc etc.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Nobody who didn't buy the Sun yesterday is going to buy it today, and they're going to avoid printing "THE SUN: GET ANGRY ABOUT STUFF AND LIES" just because.

That said, I'm reading the report now, and for what it's worth, both Whites News Agency and Irvine Patnick are basically getting their stories directly from South Yorkshire Police officers. I was assuming that there'd be a lot of hearsay, conjecture and chinese whispers involved, but no, the police were openly saying to reporters that supporters stole stuff and offered to rape people.

Heaven forfend journalists investigate stuff.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Rupert Murdoch and everyone willingly involved in his horrid empire is scum.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

The Collector posted:

Why would they admit anything? The Police just came out as almost blindingly guilty and you can bet an organization like Murdoch's was more than happy to take full advantage of that to pin the whole disgrace on them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ninpo posted:

Please note I'm not defending the sun, this is important because they're loving disgusting and what they did after their claims were pointed out to be pure fabrication is disgusting and should go die in the same hole as the news of the world.

But not a single journalist working for one of the big papers/news services would disbelieve a cohesive statement from all members of the police they were talking to.

If this happened today, the world would know from all the mobile phone pictures and the availability of witnesses to the internet, but back then journalists had essentially the police and football fans to turn to.

Football fans who were being demonised because of the hooliganism that made this exact story so easy to believe.

Reading the report, it comes across that every question to the authorities came back with the same answers. That the fans were animals, fighting and doing everything they could to stop the emergency services. I can see how a journalist could think he had the story of his life infront of him, and then it all getting carried away when politics got involved.

We all know thats bollocks now, and the Sun should have retracted it as soon as they loving could mind, but I had always assumed the Sun had just made all of it up on their own, which while eminently believable, seems rather false now.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ninpo posted:

That's not in dispute.

It's a fairly major thing, though, that these are stories being put out by multiple police officers, unsolicited, to reporters and MPs in the days after Hillsborough.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
^^ yes you're right and the police, scum that they are, aren't getting anywhere near enough vitriol due to the easy target that is The Sun.

cheese posted:

Why would they admit anything? The Police just came out as almost blindingly guilty and you can bet an organization like Murdoch's was more than happy to take full advantage of that to pin the whole disgrace on them.

Pretty much and this saves me crafting a long reply to serious gaylord. The rhetoric about what happened played perfectly into the evil football hooligans party line and the agenda Thatcher's cabinet had to punish and sanction football/its fans. How quickly we went to all seated stadia, football banning orders, whole new crimes/elongated sentences related to hooliganism that were already well served by existing laws relating to assault/affray, etc etc. Limited seating drove prices up as demand increased and here we are today, football taken away from the working class and it's doing its loving best to price out the middle class as well. The aftermath of Hillsborough was one of the biggest class war victories for the government and all the blame was laid squarely on the shoulders of 96 dead, the traumatised survivors and the Liverpool supporters of the day.

It's a loving travesty.

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

It's worth noting that this is only the beginning of the fight for justice for the families, as today is the first day they actually had verification of what happened to their loved ones in 23 years.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

serious gaylord posted:

Please note I'm not defending the sun, this is important because they're loving disgusting and what they did after their claims were pointed out to be pure fabrication is disgusting and should go die in the same hole as the news of the world.

But not a single journalist working for one of the big papers/news services would disbelieve a cohesive statement from all members of the police they were talking to.

If this happened today, the world would know from all the mobile phone pictures and the availability of witnesses to the internet, but back then journalists had essentially the police and football fans to turn to.

Football fans who were being demonised because of the hooliganism that made this exact story so easy to believe.

Reading the report, it comes across that every question to the authorities came back with the same answers. That the fans were animals, fighting and doing everything they could to stop the emergency services. I can see how a journalist could think he had the story of his life infront of him, and then it all getting carried away when politics got involved.

We all know thats bollocks now, and the Sun should have retracted it as soon as they loving could mind, but I had always assumed the Sun had just made all of it up on their own, which while eminently believable, seems rather false now.

Actually there were several Mirror reporters who refused to accept it, including one who said he would resign if it was printed under his byline.

More here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade

quote:

The London newsdesk called to alert them to copy that had been filed by Whites news agency in Sheffield that afternoon (here's a pdf copy of that). It made serious allegations against the Liverpool fans, claiming they had been drunk, had pick-pocketed victims and had urinated on policemen.

The trio were told by the newsdesk briefer that he had previously called the paper's two reporters in Sheffield - the late Ted Oliver and Frank Thorne (now freelancing in Australia) - with the same information. They had looked into it and rejected it as untrue.

They told the desk they could not stand up the allegations so they would not be filing. Oliver actually said that if such a story appeared under his byline he would resign.

The police & Patnick are the source and now the fight is bringing them to justice.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Borogrove posted:

It's worth noting that this is only the beginning of the fight for justice for the families, as today is the first day they actually had verification of what happened to their loved ones in 23 years.

Yeah this is the other thing. A barrister was on the radio, I forget his name, he sort of put into light just how deep this poo poo now goes...

Criminal negligence on behalf of the police force and organisers at the time, the various verdicts and outcomes of the civil suits that based defence on complete fabrications, the multiple individuals who loving purjored themselves in court not only at the inquests but subsequent civil hearings, compensation cases, promotions/awards based on police "bravery" and "action" at the time, potential for libel suits against the media and police/government for the obviously false stories printed about the fans, the list goes on. The QC even said in 40 years of practicing legal now, it's the first time he's been surprised, surprised at just how big of a cover up it was.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

There's also the fact that every conviction made by South Yorkshire Police in that period is potentially unsafe, and the political and legal fallout that will result.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

There's also the fact that every conviction made by South Yorkshire Police in that period is potentially unsafe, and the political and legal fallout that will result.

I was 8 at the time so some of my recollection is fuzzy, were any supporters convicted of anything following and related to Hillsborough?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

The relevant sections on Patnick and Whites:

quote:

The interventions of Irvine Patnick MP
2.12.80 While he was talking with an off-duty Sergeant whom he knew, another officer approached and asked if he wanted ‘to know the truth’. Mr Patnick recalled then being told the following:

‘Some of the supporters were pissed out of their minds. They were pissing on us while we were pulling the dead and injured out [sic] they were swearing at us kicking and punching us and hampering our work’. One seated showed me the marks of the kicks on his left trouser leg and the marks on his skin. Another one informed how the crowd had lifted up a Police horse how the fans had been crawling beneath the horses ...

One said, ‘I picked up a girl she was dead she was in my arms her blouse was torn and she had no bra on her breasts were exposed [sic] when someone shouted at me “throw her over here we’ll gently caress her”. It was booze that did it – you speak up for us tell them in Parliament what happened’.

2.12.81 Witnessing this exchange ‘senior officers’ advised Mr Patnick to take what he had heard ‘with a pinch of salt’.

2.12.82 His account recorded that by Monday 17 April he was being telephoned by the press ‘with “stories” they had heard and on Tuesday 18th April the media were on to the story of looting, violence and drink’. He was asked if he could confirm such allegations. He claimed he did ‘not speak to some newspapers’ but they published ‘a garbled tale’.

quote:

White’s News Agency and the ‘authenticity’ of the story
2.12.88 In the wake of public outrage that followed the publication of the allegations and the lack of substantiating evidence from independent witnesses or CCTV coverage, White’s News Agency was under considerable pressure to confirm its sources. White’s detailed the background in a memorandum to the Evening Standard, one of the first newspapers to break the story.

2.12.89 It stated that ‘[a]ll the allegations in the stories we filed were made, unsolicited, by ranking officers in the South Yorkshire force to three different experienced senior journalists who are partners in this agency’. The officers ‘had been on duty at Hillsborough’.

2.12.90 However, the ‘first claims of bad behaviour came on the night of Saturday April 15th a few hours after the tragedy when one reporter met by chance a senior police officer he has known for many years’:

"Without prompting the officer told him he had been punched and urinated on as he tried to save a dying victim at Hillsborough. The following day there was another chance meeting with [sic] second officer who again without prompting said he had seen some fans behaving badly including attacking police and urinating on officers."

2.12.91 White’s noted: ‘At this stage we felt it was not enough confirmation to send a story making such serious claims’. This changed on Monday 17 April when ‘another reporter met a third officer who volunteered information and reiterated similar stories saying he had seen police attacked and had been told of fans urinating down the terraces as police pulled away the dead and injured’. The third interview gave White’s corroboration and confidence to file the initial story on the morning of 18 April.

2.12.92 Later in the day, however, ‘a third reporter met a fourth officer he has known for many years who repeated the allegations and added that Liverpool supporters had been stealing from the dead’.

2.12.93 This officer ‘had not seen it [stealing] personally’ yet ‘despite fingertip searches of the terracing a lot of personal property belonging to the dead was missing and other officers had told him of pilfering’. Consequently White’s filed the further details along with the comment from the SYMAS Chief Ambulance Officer.

If both of those accounts are true, it's incredibly damning for the police.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ninpo posted:

I was 8 at the time so some of my recollection is fuzzy, were any supporters convicted of anything following and related to Hillsborough?

No I mean every conviction over that period, 116 doctored statements by senior officers.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The relevant sections on Patnick and Whites:

If both of those accounts are true, it's incredibly damning for the police.

Liverpool invasion of Yorkshire will be on the cards.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

No I mean every conviction over that period, 116 doctored statements by senior officers.

Yeah I got what you meant, mine was a separate question.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Ninpo posted:

No. There's no way they would have been able to put someone away, simply because there's no evidence to support such a conviction, and no way to press charges without having the whole coverup exposed in court. And even on the off-chance that someone DID get convicted without reasonable evidence (which has happened before in cases where a scapegoat is required e.g. in the Jill Dando case), they would become a mascot for JFT96 - a human face to attach to the supporters and their grieving families. Such a thing would make the whole lie a lot harder to swallow the way that so many people did.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ninpo posted:

The Taylor Report exonerated all the fans, and pointed the finger firmly at the police (the lack of presence and control), and at the fact that Hillsborough didn't have an up-to-date safety certificate (so the FA shouldn't have scheduled an FA Cup semi-final there), and that the ground really wasn't suitable for the match.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Still no comment from the FA? Quite incredible.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

From reading the report, what they're referring to are statements to the Taylor inquiry, and SYP basically said up front that they'd edited statements, but to remove matters of "opinion" as opposed to fact. There was no great need for them to do that, and that much was said at the time, but then everything carried on as normal.

I'm not sure that what they've done there is actually illegal, in that context, although obviously done to remove criticism of police actions on the day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

T. Mascis posted:

Still no comment from the FA? Quite incredible.
They're probably too busy making GBS threads themselves.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

They're probably too busy making GBS threads themselves.

The fact that it was an unsuitable venue is pretty damning.

irlZaphod posted:

The Taylor Report exonerated all the fans, and pointed the finger firmly at the police (the lack of presence and control), and at the fact that Hillsborough didn't have an up-to-date safety certificate (so the FA shouldn't have scheduled an FA Cup semi-final there), and that the ground really wasn't suitable for the match.

OK then I'm a touch confused...if the Taylor report said it was the old bill's fault how come there's been 23 years of bollocks?

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 12, 2012

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

The fact that it was an unsuitable venue is pretty damning.

That was made clear with the Taylor Report, though. I'm not sure the FA have an obligation to come out and make a statement on an issue that was effectively addressed 20 years ago.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

From reading the report, what they're referring to are statements to the Taylor inquiry, and SYP basically said up front that they'd edited statements, but to remove matters of "opinion" as opposed to fact. There was no great need for them to do that, and that much was said at the time, but then everything carried on as normal.

I'm not sure that what they've done there is actually illegal, in that context, although obviously done to remove criticism of police actions on the day.

Every decision to alter could be argued as misconduct in a public office.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ninpo posted:

Then I remember how many governments we've had that have obviously been privy to this. Five prime ministers.

Would any government arising after the Taylor Report be privy to the cover up? I can see how the governments after 1990 were all culpable for not listening to the families sooner and pressing for full disclosure of the information, but that's slightly different than being privy to what the South Yorkshire police swept under the rug.

quote:

All the media that's covered this, why did none of the police or ambulance crews at the time come out and say anything?

I imagine that's due to an awful mix of institutional loyalty and fear of being marginalized without support from anyone besides the victim's families if they spoke out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The police force is a giant old boys club and those officers would toe the line no matter what. Speaking out is an easy way to get stuck as a basic copper for 30 years.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That was made clear with the Taylor Report, though. I'm not sure the FA have an obligation to come out and make a statement on an issue that was effectively addressed 20 years ago.

This is confusing me...if there was already a report exonerating the fans and damning the police, what's the missing link?

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Ninpo posted:

This is confusing me...if there was already a report exonerating the fans and damning the police, what's the missing link?

What do you mean 'what's the missing link'? Do you mean what has yesterday's report revealed that we didn't already know from the Taylor Report?

e: Ah, I understand now. Nevermind. :)

Umbriago fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 13, 2012

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ninpo posted:

The findings of the Taylor Report were not extensive enough to undo the damage of the initial cover-up on perceptions of who was at fault and it fed into the narrative of the disaster happening due to "unfortunate mistakes at the wrong time by well-meaning people dealing with a broken football system," which allowed the police to escape due scrutiny for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

People in power willing to do something about it (as opposed to brushing it under the carpet). But an apology is hardly really doing anything about it, especially 20 years after the fact.

• Locked thread