Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

The telegraph do a separate daily supplement for sports and their cover of that is a big 'The Truth' thing.

In the main paper it's on page 6 which is ridiculous.

Pretty insulting to act like this is just sports news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Here's a deeply unhinged article from seethingly bitter ex-games journalist Stu Campbell, calling the people stuck in the crush "murderers".

Jesus christ. He fails to grasp the most basic concept that directing thousands of fans into a bottle neck feeding into a terrace area is going to increase density and pressure in that area while only a fraction of those thousands are aware of what's going on.

How are people so loving stupid? Ugh.

e: "Your comment is awaiting moderation"

Heh.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 13, 2012

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

What a horrible thing to come to light but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel for Liverpool supporters now. There is no way the FA will admit any responsibility when most of the bad press is on the police and to a lesser extent The Sun.

The real test is going to be whether the police (and politicians?) who were running this cover up and are now on massive pensions will actually be prosecuted and get appropriate sentences rather than banker sentences.

This kind of cover up is still prevalent though going by the fact that 300 odd people have died in police custody over the last 15 years with no-one held responsible and more recently the Ian Tomlinson case where the coroner who supported their cause of death who was so bad he was struck off later on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Taken from football365, stories that were before Hillsborough in the Telegraph

- 'Church leaders have "legitimate" concerns about European judges forcing them to conduct same-sex marriage ceremonies under government proposals, a Cabinet minister says today.'

- 'The number of motorists caught speeding is to rise as enforcement cameras make a comeback.'

- 'A blundering thief who stuffed 20 mobile phones down his trousers was caught when police heard one of the stolen devices ringing underneath his clothes.'

- 'Perhaps he was caught off guard by the directness of the question, but the Duke of Cambridge showed remarkable candour yesterday when he revealed that he hopes to become a father of two.'

- 'The father of a close friend of Prince Harry shot himself because he was "tired and did not want to grow old", an inquest heard yesterday.'

- 'Apple announced the iPhone 5 at an event in San Francisco last night.'

- 'The BBC and other broadcasters are dominated by a "liberal secular elite" whose "default position" is to assume that Christians are "lunatics", a Radio 4 broadcaster warned last night.'

- 'The Green Party has made overtures to the trade unions a day after Labour's Ed Balls was jeered by activists at the TUC's annual conference.'

- A picture of Kate Middleton flexing her bicep.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Scott Bakula posted:

- 'A blundering thief who stuffed 20 mobile phones down his trousers was caught when police heard one of the stolen devices ringing underneath his clothes.'

Haha yeah thats such a loving funny story to print while England just got the truth about its biggest cover up in recent times. I'm sure they pointed out that the thief was a stupid dirty foreigner as well.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

irlZaphod posted:

Apparently Bernstein is/was supposed to be making a broadcast statement at noon. I haven't seen anything about it, though.

Looks like they've posted the video:
http://www.thefa.com/News/2012/sep/david-bernstein-hillsborough.aspx

The salient portion:

quote:

We are deeply sorry this tragedy occurred at a venue the FA selected. This fixture was played in the FA's own competition, and on behalf of the Football Association I offer a full and unreserved apology and express sincere condolences to all of the families of those who lost their lives and to everyone connected to the City of Liverpool and Liverpool Football Club.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Here's a deeply unhinged article from seethingly bitter ex-games journalist Stu Campbell, calling the people stuck in the crush "murderers".

Christ. I haven't heard that name in a long time, but he used to write for one of my favourite magazines when I was a kid. Campbell always seemed like a bit of a chippy little twat but he used to funnel the anger into different places. Compare and contrast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon_Fodder_(video_game)#Controversy

It's depressing to see him coming out with this ill-informed garbage and calling it journalism. He mentions crowd dynamics but doesn't seem to have any real idea how stampedes and crushes happen. Blaming members of the crowd for being funnelled into a crush is poisonous drivel and he should think v. hard about how this is what he's come to as a supposedly 'anti-establishment' scribbler. Bitter is the word

I don't really see how the Telegraph class one of the worst cover-ups/conspiracies in British history as purely a sport story either. Seems a little convenient for our bluest broadsheet to stick it on their supplement.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

For gently caress's sake, he even puts a loving picture of crush victims as the thing is loving happening into his article, and for what exactly?

Victim blaming of the most callous standard, I'm genuinely lost for words over the sound of my blood boiling.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I commented to him asking how the people being funneled in were supposed to know people were getting crushed at the front and his response was "well don't loving push then" :downs:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Again, I'm not sure why there's a real need for the FA to come out and offer an apology when their culpability for what happened at Hillsborough was determined 20 years ago with the Taylor Report, and they fully implemented every change that Taylor asked for as a result (despite people in this thread saying that doing so "killed" football/was a Tory plot to disenfranchise the working class).

Considering that nothing's come out now that places any further culpability on the FA, and there's no suggestion that they were complicit with anything SYP were doing, I don't see that the FA is required to issue anything more than a general statement of support for the families.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Again, I'm not sure why there's a real need for the FA to come out and offer an apology when their culpability for what happened at Hillsborough was determined 20 years ago with the Taylor Report, and they fully implemented every change that Taylor asked for as a result (despite people in this thread saying that doing so "killed" football/was a Tory plot to disenfranchise the working class).

Considering that nothing's come out now that places any further culpability on the FA, and there's no suggestion that they were complicit with anything SYP were doing, I don't see that the FA is required to issue anything more than a general statement of support for the families.

With a new inquest around the corner there is now a corporate manslaughter charge, which didn't exist in 1989, than can be leveled against them, since they knowingly chose a ground that did not have a safety certificate and 96 deaths resulted from that decision. At least that's what I've seen bandied about.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How common were ground safety certificates then? Was Hillsborough unusual in not having one? What did a stadium need to do or have to qualify for one?

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

T. Mascis posted:

With a new inquest around the corner there is now a corporate manslaughter charge, which didn't exist in 1989, than can be leveled against them, since they knowingly chose a ground that did not have a safety certificate and 96 deaths resulted from that decision. At least that's what I've seen bandied about.

Whoever's saying that is mistaken. The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act came into force in 2007 and won't be applied retrospectively*, so the FA could only have action brought against them for breaches of the law as it stood in '89 -- when it was virtually impossible to secure a manslaughter charge against a corporate entity.

*in theory I suppose it could happen, but it really really won't.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Umbriago posted:

Whoever's saying that is mistaken. The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act came into force in 2007 and can't be applied retrospectively, so the FA could only have action brought against them for breaches of the law as it stood in '89 -- when it was virtually impossible to secure a manslaughter charge against a corporate entity.

Thank you, I knew it would be confirmed/denied here quickly, that's why SA owns

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

Umbriago posted:

Whoever's saying that is mistaken. The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act came into force in 2007 and won't be applied retrospectively*, so the FA could only have action brought against them for breaches of the law as it stood in '89 -- when it was virtually impossible to secure a manslaughter charge against a corporate entity.

*in theory I suppose it could happen, but it really really won't.

From the HSE Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act page:

Will the Act be retrospective?
No, the Act came into force on 6 April 2008 and will only apply to deaths that occur from that date. Deaths that occur before 6 April 2008 will continue to be covered by the previous law on corporate manslaughter.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Daveman23 posted:

From the HSE Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act page:

Will the Act be retrospective?
No, the Act came into force on 6 April 2008 and will only apply to deaths that occur from that date. Deaths that occur before 6 April 2008 will continue to be covered by the previous law on corporate manslaughter.

Yeah, the theoretical element is that Parliament can pass another law making the CMCH Act 2007 apply retroactively -- but it's just not going to happen.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Virexsi posted:

Christ. I haven't heard that name in a long time, but he used to write for one of my favourite magazines when I was a kid. Campbell always seemed like a bit of a chippy little twat but he used to funnel the anger into different places. Compare and contrast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon_Fodder_(video_game)#Controversy

Interesting, he published a near identical article on that blog a year or two back but I think it was one of them that got purged when he had one of his regular stress outs and literally deleted 90% of the posts.

I assumed it was because he thought better of it, apparently not.

Knowing the man, I'd already archived said blog, I'll dig out the original version (and the comments) when I get to work.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 13, 2012

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Umbriago, what's your view on the AG pursuing Misconduct in a Public Offie charges?

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Umbriago, what's your view on the AG pursuing Misconduct in a Public Offie charges?

Hmmm, well I'm not really familiar with the case law here, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt. A quick look at the offence and I see at least two grounds where a charge of Misconduct in a Public Office would probably fail.

1. The charge must be brought against an individual public officer, which means finding an FA exec single-handedly responsible for the failure to acknowledge existing safety risks, for failing to adapt stadia accordingly, for choosing to host the match at Hillsbrough, etc etc... In instances like this I just don't think that those kind of decisions are made by individuals, they're collective decisions/systemic failures that take place for a number of reasons over a long period of time, and it was this gap in the law that caused the CMCH Act to be passed. There's almost certainly no one FA executive who could be charged as being responsible for all of the relevant failures which lead to the disaster.

2. Even if said individual does exist and can be found, you then have to prove that they were willfully negligent or acted with misconduct. This is a really high standard to meet -- the prosecution would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused "deliberately did something which was wrong knowing it to be wrong or with reckless indifference as to whether it was wrong or not". This is a subjective test, meaning the public officer must have known that their behaviour was capable of being misconduct. I can't imagine how you could successfully prove that for decisions that were made 23 years ago (and beyond), you'd be trying to prove someone's thoughts with almost no evidence to support your case.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
SYP have confirmed they are "considering" referring the Hillsborough operation to the IPCC.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Umbriago posted:

Hmmm, well I'm not really familiar with the case law here, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt. A quick look at the offence and I see at least two grounds where a charge of Misconduct in a Public Office would probably fail.

Interesting that you see potential FA culpability, but I meant South Yorkshire Police and the Ambulance service.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Would an FA employee even count as a public officer?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ninpo posted:

SYP have confirmed they are "considering" referring the Hillsborough operation to the IPCC.

Probably hoping this will stop another criminal investigation knowing the IPCC are fairly useless

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Interesting that you see potential FA culpability, but I meant South Yorkshire Police and the Ambulance service.

Ah poo poo. Well the same stumbling blocks exist, though honestly I don't know enough of the facts to give a decent answer. That said, I can see there being a strong case against senior police officers involved in the alteration of statements and misinforming the press -- assuming that individuals can be identified and it can be shown to have been a deliberate cover up. The case against the ambulance service is less likely; again I don't know the facts, but I would assume that it was a collective/systemic failure rather than negligence or misconduct by an individual.

Ninpo posted:

Would an FA employee even count as a public officer?!

Well there's no legal definition of the term, so it's impossible to say! Given that 'a public office holder is an officer who discharges any duty in the discharge of which the public are interested, more clearly so if he is paid out of a fund provided by the public', one could certainly argue so.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Is that Stuart Campbell, as in the one who used to write for Amiga Power? If so..what could he possibly contribute apart from comparing it to a game of Sensible loving Soccer of Kick Off?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Alex_R posted:

Is that Stuart Campbell, as in the one who used to write for Amiga Power? If so..what could he possibly contribute apart from comparing it to a game of Sensible loving Soccer of Kick Off?

Yeah, the guy who said he wished veteran soldiers dead or something around remembrance day.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Has anyone here ever watched Jimmy McGovern's docu-drama about Hillsborough, starring Christopher Ecclestone and Ricky Tomlinson? Just wondering because it's amazing and does a fantastic job of showing the human side of the tragedy.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Virexsi posted:

It's depressing to see him coming out with this ill-informed garbage and calling it journalism. He mentions crowd dynamics but doesn't seem to have any real idea how stampedes and crushes happen. Blaming members of the crowd for being funnelled into a crush is poisonous drivel and he should think v. hard about how this is what he's come to as a supposedly 'anti-establishment' scribbler. Bitter is the word
You don't have a bit of good reading on crowd control do you? Reason I ask is most people who don't get why lfc fans have such a problem is they say 'Liverpool fans crushed Liverpool fans, they should have just walked out'

What you've said is reasonable common sense but when you end up arguing with the great unwashed do you know of anything to point to that is pretty unrefutable?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

angry armadillo posted:

You don't have a bit of good reading on crowd control do you? Reason I ask is most people who don't get why lfc fans have such a problem is they say 'Liverpool fans crushed Liverpool fans, they should have just walked out'

What you've said is reasonable common sense but when you end up arguing with the great unwashed do you know of anything to point to that is pretty unrefutable?

I'm confused as to what you're getting at here. Are you misreading what Virexsi said or are you yourself wondering what he's referring to by "crowd dynamics?"

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TyChan posted:

I'm confused as to what you're getting at here. Are you misreading what Virexsi said or are you yourself wondering what he's referring to by "crowd dynamics?"

He's asking for literature on crowd control/dynamics so as to be better equipped to refute the moronic suggestions of "well don't push in a crowd hurrrr" that these loving idiots think is such a simple solution to the problem and thus why Liverpool fans deserved it.

I had to read it a couple of times as well.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Ninpo posted:

He's asking for literature on crowd control/dynamics so as to be better equipped to refute the moronic suggestions of "well don't push in a crowd hurrrr" that these loving idiots think is such a simple solution to the problem and thus why Liverpool fans deserved it.

I had to read it a couple of times as well.

Ah.

Maybe these will help, Virexsi?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_seabrook

http://mindhacks.com/2007/04/10/the-dynamics-of-crowd-disasters/

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I love the "pushing" poo poo because the horrors of being crushed to death by the sheer pressure of those around you is horrifying beyond belief, they have no conception of what that's like and think it's a bunch of loving people shoving each other. Neil Fitzmaurice's watch glass exploded out his watch from the pressure of the crush.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alex_R posted:

It is.

Incidentally he has form on this one, here's a forum thread (which I thought was another blog post) from 2009

http://s2.zetaboards.com/worldofstuart/topic/5048209/1/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

T. Mascis posted:

I love the "pushing" poo poo because the horrors of being crushed to death by the sheer pressure of those around you is horrifying beyond belief, they have no conception of what that's like and think it's a bunch of loving people shoving each other. Neil Fitzmaurice's watch glass exploded out his watch from the pressure of the crush.

Twice I've been stuck in a crowd at a club that started to crush and it wasn't even that bad and they were some of the worst things I've ever experienced and can't remotely compare to what happened there

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Yeah, it's a horrible, horrible experience.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adrianics posted:

Has anyone here ever watched Jimmy McGovern's docu-drama about Hillsborough, starring Christopher Ecclestone and Ricky Tomlinson? Just wondering because it's amazing and does a fantastic job of showing the human side of the tragedy.

Whats the name of this / what was it aired on?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's unpleasant enough being in the crowd as 40,000 people leave Stamford Bridge after a normal match, opening out into the whole of London, can't imagine what it would have been like that day.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

It was just called Hillsborough and it aired on ITV in 1996, I think. You can get it on DVD through Amazon.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

The drama was Hillsborough from 1996.

EDIT:

For what little it's worth, Boris Johnson issued another(?) apology about his comments from that 2004 Spectator article.

quote:

I'm very, very glad that this report does lay to rest the false allegation that was made at the time about the behavior of those fans," Johnson told reporters. "I was very, very sorry in 2004 that the Spectator did carry an editorial that partially repeated those allegations, I apologized then and I apologize now.

"I do hope the families of the 96 victims will take some comfort from this report and that they can reach some sort of closure."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hillsborough-inquiry-boris-johnson-issues-131700378--sow.html

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
The word pushing conjures up entirely misleading imagery to me as well.

• Locked thread