Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is all horrifying.

It's so difficult to believe that I could go to a game, die in a terrible accident, and be blamed for my own death (for supposedly being a drunk hooligan) for 23 years before there was any official recognition of the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

He's one of those United fans and I want to put his head in a vice.

I've read way more of what this guy has written over the past couple of days than I ever want to again, and I have to say that I find the most odious part of it to be the fact that he always goes on about "Well this is just what I do in crowds", as if he's such a smug bastard and no one at Hillsborough thought of trying to move back instead of mindlessly moving forwards until they were literally the people dying. It's as if he's saying "Well if only I had been there with my revolutionary idea of moving backwards instead of forwards, those people would still be alive."

gently caress him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dudley posted:

When the plane hit them, they should have calmly pushed back.

Now see when I'm in a burning building my first instinct is to run down the stairs and get out. Seems to me like these people must have been running UP, or more of them would have survived.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's like a Liverpool fan singing a song about Munich and then saying "But I was just referring to that recent time when Bayern knocked United out of the Champions League". Absolute idiocy and they're insane if they think anyone's going to buy it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
From the BBC match report, apparently after the final whistle two Pool fans ran over to the away end and started making airplane gestures, and the United fans responded by doing that.

I didn't see either happen live, so I can't really say if it's true or not.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Video footage filmed by police may have been edited.

Unfortunately the story doesn't actually say much more about it, like how it may have been edited or what the footage did or didn't show that could warrant editing in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Guardian has a good rundown of some pretty nice tributes that are taking place around the ground this weekend:

quote:

English football will mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster this weekend with a series of commemorative tributes to the 96 Liverpool supporters who died.

The FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest in 1989 stopped at 3.06pm. The two semi-finals at Wembley and all matches in the top eight tiers of the English league system will kick off seven minutes after their normal scheduled starts, following a minute's silence.

At Anfield on Sunday, scarves from all clubs in the top four divisions will display a number 96 on the pitch before Liverpool's Premier League game against Manchester City. Cards will also be held up by fans for a mosaic tribute spelling out "96 25 years". Ninety-six blue and red roses and wreaths will be presented by City officials to Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush.

Players and officials at the Wigan Athletic v Arsenal and Hull City v Sheffield United semi‑finals will wear black armbands. Ninety‑six seats have been set aside at the stadium for both games and each will have a Liverpool scarf upon it in memory of those who lost their lives. A number of the families of the 96 will also be in attendance for semi-final between Wigan v Arsenal on Saturday.

Captains will lay wreaths in their technical areas and the names of the 96 victims will be visible on the digital boards around the stadium during a minute's silence.

A new inquest on those who lost their lives in the disaster began on 31 March and is expected to last several months.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/11/hillsborough-25th-anniversary-tributes-seven-minute-delays

• Locked thread