Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Babby Thatcher posted:

- Kelvin Mackenzie, 2006

What a disgusting piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pookerbacca posted:

It's incredible that it has taken 23 years for the truth to see light of day, but I have to say, some of the commentary in the last few days has gone a little overboard in white-washing the responsibility of the football fan culture of the day, in having ANY contribution at all to this tragedy. There was a horrible white-wash perpetrated by the police 23 years ago, so let's not go overboard in going in the opposite direction now.

If you read any United fanzine, there are invariably lots of wistful tales about the "good old days" of football culture (pre-SKY etc etc) where everyone was drunk going to games and nothing beat a cheeky tale of how you "blagged" yourself into a stadium without a ticket.

This week however, I'm reading about how off-sales reported no "excessive" sales of alcohol around the stadium and that equates to "no" drunken fans at Hillsbrough. Apparenty, we are also now supposed to believe there were "zero" ticketless fans that contributed to the crush. Gimme a break. Look, the "blame" for this tragedy can be spread across many people and institutions and over a long period of time leading up to 1989, and blaming football fans probably comes near bottom of that list in terms of being "contributors" to the tragedy, but lets not kid ourselves that every single fan in the Leppings Lane End has got a "clear conscience" from that horrible day.

This is not about blaming Liverpool fans, it could have easily happened to anybody, United, Spurs, Wolves etc etc. I've read many tales of how United fans had close-calls at Hillsborough pre-89 and this really seemed like a tragedy waiting to happen, compounded by the government's attitude of treating football supporters like "scum", resulting in the victims being "framed". But let's have a healthy and honest perspective as well. The football fan culture of the 70s/80s (and this applies to all the football tribes), I think, played "some" role in the long road leading to this tragedy. One question football fans should ask themselves, if there was no glorification of the "hooligan culture", maybe it would not have led to the governmental/institutional response(right or wrong) to start "caging football fans like animals" in the Stetford End, the Kop and at Hillborough?

Is this a copy paste from somewhere

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pookerbacca posted:

Heh, nope, just my own thoughts. It's just my natural reaction to what I see amongst the herd mentality amongst the journalists I've been reading. When there is a 100% piling going in one direction, tht just means, we are bluffing ourselves about something. I know this is an emotional issue for many people, waiting for vindication for 23 years, bothing is ever completely 100% black or white.

Some things are completely black and white, for example zebras haha. All joking aside though you're an idiot

• Locked thread