Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It would be nice if the sealed documents weren't being referred to as "new" evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Just reading all the liveblogs, reactions and articles today has been utterly exhausting, and I'm genuinely on the verge of tears at work.
It's somewhat of a relief to know that I'm not the only one

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Kelvin MacKenzie just offered his 'profuse apology'.
Offered through his PA. The man is scum.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ninpo posted:

Yeah I got what you meant, mine was a separate question.
The Taylor Report exonerated all the fans, and pointed the finger firmly at the police (the lack of presence and control), and at the fact that Hillsborough didn't have an up-to-date safety certificate (so the FA shouldn't have scheduled an FA Cup semi-final there), and that the ground really wasn't suitable for the match.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

T. Mascis posted:

Still no comment from the FA? Quite incredible.
They're probably too busy making GBS threads themselves.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TyChan posted:

Would any government arising after the Taylor Report be privy to the cover up? I can see how the governments after 1990 were all culpable for not listening to the families sooner and pressing for full disclosure of the information, but that's slightly different than being privy to what the South Yorkshire police swept under the rug.
The subsequent Tory and Labour governments, while they may not have been privy to the cover-up, had the records there in the House of Lords. They were only opened because of the work done by Andy Burnham, Steve Rotherham, and all the others who have campaigned. There was no need for the Government to wait ~20 years to look at the records.

Ninpo posted:

This is confusing me...if there was already a report exonerating the fans and damning the police, what's the missing link?
There was, essentially, gently caress all done about it. Lord Taylor merely made recommendations on how to prevent similar disasters in future, which is how we have fancy all-seater stadiums filled with families eating prawn sandwiches.

Duckenfield was given an early retirement for health reasons and was never charged with anything. Some other police who were on the scene that day were given compensation for mental trauma they suffered. The families were lucky if they got victims' funerals paid for.

The version of events pushed by the SYP had done a lot of damage, too. I mean, there are still people on Twitter today attributing some blame to drunken, ticketless fans.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 13, 2012

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

To be fair, I heard the number earlier put at "400,000 documents". To be honest, that sounds like crap, but I can certainly see that Jack Straw's first priority on taking office was not "bring me a ham roll and a big bin full of stuff from the 80s that'll take six months to read". If you were going to do it, you need to set up a panel and do it properly.
That's what I mean. Jack Straw just stuck the 10 boxes in the library, with no real intention to do anything about them. When was that, 95 or so? The HIP was only set up in 2010 after years of campaigning.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Cross-posting from the UK politics thread:

This newspaper clipping is doing the rounds, purported to be written by Kelvin MacKenzie in 1988, can anyone confirm if it's real or not?

https://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2012/09/kelvin-mackenzie/
It was posted a few pages back. Allegedly it was written by Mackenzie.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The FA released a statement this morning

http://www.thefa.com/News/2012/sep/hillsborough-independent-panel.aspx

quote:

"Having thoroughly reviewed yesterday's report in full, The Football Association would like to commend the Hillsborough Independent Panel for their exhaustive and professional work.

"It is also important that The FA recognises the tireless commitment shown by so many, particularly the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

"We welcome the publication of the report and the subsequent comments of the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

"The FA reiterates its deep and ongoing sadness at the dreadful events that unfolded on 15 April 1989.

"The organisation's thoughts at this time remains with the families of all those who lost their lives in such terrible circumstances, as well as everyone connected with the City of Liverpool.

"For 23 years the families have suffered unbearable pain, and we have profound sympathy for this.

"The FA has cooperated fully with the Panel throughout this process and has released all documentation in line with their request.

"The FA and English football has changed immeasurably, and has learnt many lessons in the last 23 years. Through advancements in safety and investment in facilities English football is now a much safer, more welcoming environment for supporters.”

Way to stand up and take responsibility for your part in the disaster, guys.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Apparently Bernstein is/was supposed to be making a broadcast statement at noon. I haven't seen anything about it, though.

Also Sheffield Wednesday looked for compensation from the FA over lost revenue due to the semi-final being "cancelled" lmao are they loving serious. I'd bet good money that there were brown envelopes involved in moving the semi-finals back to Hillsborough in 87.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wish I could reach through the Internet and punch some sense into you, because apparently you have gently caress all.

Read the Taylor Report. Educate yourself. Realise how ashamed you should feel about what you're posting.

Taylor rejected the notions that drunk/ticketless fans caused the disaster. Contributed, perhaps, but it probably would have happened anyway. There was no evidence of a large amount of drink involved (some, definitely... It was a social occasion after all). Ticketless fans are irrelevant because the number of fans inside Hillsborough in total was far under capacity. The problem was that, with no police directing fans away from full pens, everyone flooded into the tunnel leading to Pens 3&4, because that was where signs directed them (and I'm sure the "follow the crowd" mentality kicked in. They probably didn't know where they were going). This was exacerbated when Duckenfield ordered Gate C to be opened to relieve the crush at the turnstiles.

The survivors have been living with guilt and trauma for 23 years. Some committed suicide, and at least one person has been in an asylum. So don't think for one second that this report somehow completely relieves them. They're going to be living with it for the rest of their lives. I'm sure plenty are still having nightmares, judging from what I've read from the likes of Tony Evans (who experienced both Heysel and Hillsborough).

So seriously, cop the gently caress on and educate yourself.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Sheila Coleman has confirmed that she was a hacking victim, probably more of the JFT96 campaign as well.
Jesus loving Christ

In lighter news, there's a campaign to get You'll Never Walk Alone to #1. Gerry Marsden has apparently told Steve Rotheram that he'll donate all proceeds to Hillsborough charities. Go download it for 99p!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/youll-never-walk-alone/id18819819?i=18819710

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2012

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The charity single has made it to #1 for Christmas

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

NeoNaoNeo posted:

This is absolutely disgusting and there could be a major kick-off if it happens:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...00252-32626867/
Same thing has happened here with another charity single for a sick 4 year old. Really lovely news, on both counts.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ah bloody hell. :(

I hope she felt some sense of justice from the HIP report, even if no-one has been held accountable yet. What she went through for 20 years, knowing Kevin was alive after 3:15, must have just been awful.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The footage is probably pretty harrowing, if they show any of it.

I wonder have they been hanging on to this while Anne Williams was sick?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

What's worse is Liverpool fans who don't boycott The Sun.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That's incredibly ironic, in a most heinous and disgusting fashion.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm trying to figure out if the first quote has been butchered, and what they actually said was that Taylor determined that alcohol wasn't the cause of the disaster. The two quotes don't make any sense.

It's disgusting that they're still pursuing that, even though it's loving obvious that it wasn't the cause. I hope they get questioned on why they were testing the blood-alcohol levels of 10 year olds. Considering the footage from the day shows that a lot of the Liverpool fans were helping the injured, I don't see how they'd be able to use drunken fans as a defense.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

David Conn ‏@david_conn 3m
#Hillsborough Inquest: Policeman above Leppings Lane believed there was a crush, tried to radio control room, "but could not get through."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Zero One posted:

As another dirty American, this is what I have always struggled to understand about the disaster (and Euro football in general). I've been to games at Michigan Stadium where it is 110,000 people mostly standing (there are benches, not seats but most fans stand) and never felt unsafe. The culture is just so different. Even in one of the biggest rivalry games in American sports (OSU vs Mich) fans will intermingle in the stands and be respectful win or lose (save the random drunk idiot).
You have to remember that a lot of football grounds are very old, and typically are just in the middle of streets surrounded by houses. I think Fenway is one of the few stadiums in the US which is in any way like that. The entrances are incredibly narrow turnstiles and, at the time, I think the tickets were for a stand, but no specific section. Hillsborough was the result of some pretty bad decisions combined with bad luck. Because of the lack of police control outside, a crush started forming due to the bottleneck caused by the turnstiles, and the fans flooding to the ground from the surrounding streets. If they had some checkpoints prior to that to check tickets and control the flow of people, it would have alleviated things. Of course, what they did instead was throw open an exit gate and let all those people flow in, but with no-one directing people most just flooded into the central pen because that was the most obvious way to go (plus the crowds were effectively sweeping people along at that point). I'm not sure if it would have helped at that point, but the SYP should have directed people to the upper tier, or to the flanking pens (if access to them was possible, but I think it was).

I've never personally been to Hillsborough but I have been to other grounds and can definitely see how crushes could form. While a typical Sheffield Wednesday division 1 match would be ok (excepting maybe a local derby), this was an FA Cup semi-final between 2 of the biggest teams in the country at the time. It was a repeat of the previous year's semi, and it should be noted that the same thing very nearly happened that year too.

Basically, it's not just that the crowds were standing, there were a whole bunch of mitigating factors. You have to remember too that they were effectively standing in cages. I don't think I'd ever feel safe in that situation.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Some free rag in Norfolk has published a pretty horrendous column about the 25th Anniversary memorial service

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-column-anger-after-newspaper-7016777?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Apparently Specsavers have withdrawn their sponsorship of the column lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shocking Hillsborough insults added on Wikipedia from Government computers

Holy poo poo. Completely classless, and utterly idiotic to do it from Government computers.

• Locked thread