Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He hasnt though. No chance he would criticise his hero maggie. At least it looks like the truth is emerging.

He has formally apologized on behalf of the government but did not mention Thatcher by name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

Does this have any effect on Liverpool's boycott of The Sun? They reported the "facts" the authorities at the time were releasing? Do they get the benefit of the doubt now?

What? No

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Ninpo posted:

Besides didn't the Sun print outright lies about fans pissing on dead bodies and other loving abominations?

Yeah can we move on from that retarded loving question and talk about actual facts the inquest uncovered.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

It would be nice if the sealed documents weren't being referred to as "new" evidence.

David Anderson raised that, and Cameron acknowledged it is "newly published evidence" and not new evidence at all, it's been there since the day it happened but now everyone knows why it was suppressed.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Kelvin MacKenzie just offered his 'profuse apology'.

Where? And I'd like to see the BBC justify his continued employment after this

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

"three family members fainted when they heard some of the dead might have been saved"

:(

41 people. They were simply left there to die.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Please note I'm not defending the sun, this is important because they're loving disgusting and what they did after their claims were pointed out to be pure fabrication is disgusting and should go die in the same hole as the news of the world.

But not a single journalist working for one of the big papers/news services would disbelieve a cohesive statement from all members of the police they were talking to.

If this happened today, the world would know from all the mobile phone pictures and the availability of witnesses to the internet, but back then journalists had essentially the police and football fans to turn to.

Football fans who were being demonised because of the hooliganism that made this exact story so easy to believe.

Reading the report, it comes across that every question to the authorities came back with the same answers. That the fans were animals, fighting and doing everything they could to stop the emergency services. I can see how a journalist could think he had the story of his life infront of him, and then it all getting carried away when politics got involved.

We all know thats bollocks now, and the Sun should have retracted it as soon as they loving could mind, but I had always assumed the Sun had just made all of it up on their own, which while eminently believable, seems rather false now.

Actually there were several Mirror reporters who refused to accept it, including one who said he would resign if it was printed under his byline.

More here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade

quote:

The London newsdesk called to alert them to copy that had been filed by Whites news agency in Sheffield that afternoon (here's a pdf copy of that). It made serious allegations against the Liverpool fans, claiming they had been drunk, had pick-pocketed victims and had urinated on policemen.

The trio were told by the newsdesk briefer that he had previously called the paper's two reporters in Sheffield - the late Ted Oliver and Frank Thorne (now freelancing in Australia) - with the same information. They had looked into it and rejected it as untrue.

They told the desk they could not stand up the allegations so they would not be filing. Oliver actually said that if such a story appeared under his byline he would resign.

The police & Patnick are the source and now the fight is bringing them to justice.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Still no comment from the FA? Quite incredible.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Well since today revealed one of the biggest cover ups in British history the morning papers will probably be something to take note of. Let's see shall we:

The Mail go with the 96 faces, powerful

The Star give some real estate to the royals but ok

The Independent do a wonderful job

The Times, simple

The Guardian, it really was a day of reckoning

The Mirror is my pick, excellent

The Independent pick a powerful image (notice no police helping)

But then the Express makes me arch both eyebrows and do several 360's

But you must always save the best for last, and ahahahahahahahahah the loving Telegraph, gently caress you, burn

There's a front page I did not post and I ask you not to post it either because there's nothing to be said about that rag.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Painkiller posted:

It's frustrating that despite this report I'm having to argue with idiots on other forums who are outraged that the fans have been exonerated. Like "oh yeah the police were obv wrong to cover it up but have you considered that maybe the fans were responsible?!!!". They keep going on about drunk ticketless scousers pushing forward despite the screams and I want to throw them under a bus.

I think there will always be this weird core convinced of that but one of the panelists literally said there were absolutely no "information gaps" at all, this is as loving Fact as Fact can get here, they have a record of everything that happened on the day.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Again, I'm not sure why there's a real need for the FA to come out and offer an apology when their culpability for what happened at Hillsborough was determined 20 years ago with the Taylor Report, and they fully implemented every change that Taylor asked for as a result (despite people in this thread saying that doing so "killed" football/was a Tory plot to disenfranchise the working class).

Considering that nothing's come out now that places any further culpability on the FA, and there's no suggestion that they were complicit with anything SYP were doing, I don't see that the FA is required to issue anything more than a general statement of support for the families.

With a new inquest around the corner there is now a corporate manslaughter charge, which didn't exist in 1989, than can be leveled against them, since they knowingly chose a ground that did not have a safety certificate and 96 deaths resulted from that decision. At least that's what I've seen bandied about.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Umbriago posted:

Whoever's saying that is mistaken. The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act came into force in 2007 and can't be applied retrospectively, so the FA could only have action brought against them for breaches of the law as it stood in '89 -- when it was virtually impossible to secure a manslaughter charge against a corporate entity.

Thank you, I knew it would be confirmed/denied here quickly, that's why SA owns

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I love the "pushing" poo poo because the horrors of being crushed to death by the sheer pressure of those around you is horrifying beyond belief, they have no conception of what that's like and think it's a bunch of loving people shoving each other. Neil Fitzmaurice's watch glass exploded out his watch from the pressure of the crush.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Rumor going around based on some Redcafe posts that some United supporters may bring a Justice banner to Anfield next Sunday, which would be quite a thing, imo. I feel like yesterday blew away some of the vitriol that fueled Hillsborough chants, and I'm not sure how even the most hardcore cunts could try starting one up now. Although I'm sure I'll be proven wrong I think, or hope, it will now be contained to only the absolute tiniest minority going forward, easily shouted down.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Irvine Patrick is going to have his knighthood stripped

Link? Source? I know calls for this started as soon as the presentation of the evidence ended yesterday but if it's happening this quickly I'll be ecstatic

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

c0burn posted:

For the first time ever I find myself not getting so mad at idiots like Stuart Campbell, due to the HIP report. It's like a massive weight has been lifted.

It's an oddly cathartic feeling, where you're not happy, because it shows that there was a horrifying cover up the whole time, but now everyone else can see it too, clear as loving day, 400 pages worth. So anyone who clings to the old lies can get hosed.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Pookerbacca please don't post again in this thread. It was funny to see someone like you pop up though, because we were just talking about cunts like you a few pages back. I have no energy for it though and honestly I don't need to, the only response needs to be a link to the HIP report, and if you can't comprehend that then it's on you.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Things like this are what (used to) infuriate me when other supporters would repeat Hillsborough lies because it was always going to happen to SOME group of supporters, and the outcome was always going to be a cover-up.

A year after this letter the FA still thought an FA Cup semi-final at that ground was totally fine. They still have a lot to answer for imo.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Haha "healthy perspective", gently caress off, I have no patience for this poo poo

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

The supporters on the day have been absolved of any role by 2 separate reports, the most recent of which brought to light hundreds of altered documents exposing a massive institutional coverup which involved the police, the media, and the government.

HOWEVER, this guy has figured out a secret that 96 people who were crushed to death don't want you to know...

Honestly what the gently caress.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I couldn't watch more than like 10 seconds of him talk lol I'm utterly seething

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Hahaha he's absolute human filth

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

There will a large mosaic Sunday and the rumor was it would also include the away support, although I'm not sure if it's true.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

excuse me lady posted:

Any anti-Liverpool song our lot sing on Sunday, even if it has nothing to do with Hillsborough, will be treated by the press, by the scousers and even our own loving club as though the entire away end lined up to piss on the eternal flame. Short of linking arms and joining in with YNWA, United fans will get made out to be the villains on Sunday.

Honestly I don't think that's the case at all, and Liverpool supporters will be under the same microscope about Munich chants. Anti-Liverpool songs arent't the issue imo, just Hillsborough. There's no better time to leave both of those behind and move on, so hopefully that's what happens.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

American here, saw this at the Fire game tonight and thought it was interest to the thread.

This is Good poo poo thank you

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

8raz posted:

It'll be fine tomorrow. Until Suarez celebrates a goal with an airplane gesture.

It wasn't fine at all

http://twitter.yfrog.com/06u5tokbgkvoblxqnlkupfhjz

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I honestly don't know what to say about that, I can't even comprehend it

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

marcadia posted:

Can't see it not being the xmas #1 and deservedly so. £1m at least for the families is fantastic. Hopefully it prompts some of your stereotypical X-Factor viewers into finding out the reasons behind the JFT96 campaign. Great cover in that it stays true to the original, too.

All the more important because Anne Williams, one of the driving forces behind the campaign, was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Her son Kevin was the one of youngest of the 96, at 15 years old.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Unfortunately no, there were many there younger than 15. Lee Nicol, one of my friends' uncle was 14. Pretty sure there was a 10 year old too.

Yep, I don't know why I had that in my head, youngest was indeed 10, Jon-Paul Gilhooley. Shameful of me.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Psybro posted:

A contributing factor to safety standards at Hillsborough was the Thatcher government's apathy toward convenient scapegoats that didn't vote for them. It might be that the combination of that and senior Tories literally suggesting 1980s Liverpool be allowed to crumble to the dust makes Liverpool fans predisposed towards not supporting that particular party. But who knows, maybe it's just parochial small-mindedness.

I never knew Jeff off Peep Show was a Hillsborough survivor, I saw him talking about it on Sky and it was loving harrowing and now I will struggle to laugh at him in future.

Is that the one where he talks about how the crush around him was so bad the glass in his watch exploded?

Also there is an investigation now underway to see if the SYP illegally ran wiretaps of the survivor's family during the original investigation

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Reminder that Norman Bettison is still a Knight of the Realm so if you're in the UK please take a moment to sign the petition to have it removed & face retrospective action, this isn't some useless e-petition, if 100,000 signatures are garnered it will trigger a Parlimentary debate. The same petition was used to bring all this new Hillsborough truth out into the public eye

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Akbar posted:

Class move by Everton to once again offer their support of the Hillsborough 96.

They've always been brilliant re: Hillsborough, Bill Kenwright's speech last year was incredibly heartfelt and wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-DKzc3rmI

• Locked thread