Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So there's no ZombiU thread, and I have questions:

- Do the enemies respawn when you die and go to recover your body?
- I've heard that there is a mechanic for invading your friends' world, a la Dark Souls. Is this true? How does it work?
- Is the game as fun and scary as the gameplay videos make it seem?

I was convinced I could hold off on buying the system until some other games came our but ZombiU is pushing me over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Republicans posted:

From what I've seen and heard from the giant bomb quick look:

- Up-and-about zombies do not respawn, but zombies laying around that might get up if you ignore them do as do zombies that spawn as part of a scripted event like getting on an elevator.
- It isn't so much an invasion as when you die you leave duplicate corpses in the same location in your friend's games so they can find find/kill/loot them as well. The more friends you have that die the more loot-laden fallen survivors you'll come across.
- Looks fun if you like janky first-person survival horror. There are moments of jump scares like zombies grabbing you in vents but otherwise I'd say it looks more tense than scary. Zombies are just too familiar to be very scary anymore they may as well just be angry normal people.

Thanks! I was hoping for more of a gently caress-your-friends-over MP system, but I'm still interested.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Where should I look around for some normal Wii-motes nowadays? I'm fairly sure I'll be getting one o these for Christmas an want to make sure I have enough controllers for stuff like Nintendoland on day one.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Anatidaephobia posted:

Regular retailers should still have them, they have WiiU branding on the box but are still normal Wii-compatible remotes/nunchucks

Any good deals I should watch out for, or are they all the same standard price.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Robolizard! posted:

(This should be in the OP)Flingsmash is on clearance at toys r us. Either using TRU online's additional 20% off clearance items (don't know if this is still active) or the brick and mortar's b1g1 40% off (online has this too, but would only let me put in one copy of flingsmash per order) the price should be $20 + tax. You can choose pick up at store for online orders if you only want one wiimote or something.

Sweet, thanks!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I picked up a couple copies of Flingsmash at TRU just now. Nice.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm prepping to make sure that we can have some Wii U fun on Christmas morning. Is there a way to download the update now and feed it to the Wii U locally? Failing that, can I skip the update process and just play Nintendoland immediately?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DoctorWhat posted:

You can skip the update and it will download in the background.

Nice! The family will only be here on Christmas day, so I want to make sure I can get it setup and play while they're here, and then I can do all the fun networking stuff later.

I've got two Wii-motes (motionplus), do I need anything else? Do any of the Nintendoland game require a nunchuck?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the advice y'all! :)

I'm excited about picking up some Wii games that I missed like Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1&2...and I guess that's it? I sold my Wii a few years ago after not playing it for a LONG time. Are there any big third party releases I might have missed? I played the early big hits (we loving loved Excite Truck for some reason). I have a 360 & PS3, so exclusive stuff only.

I know the whole joke about Nintendo and third parties, but I promise this is a snark-free question, I just want to pick up any Wii games I might have missed, and I know what Nintendo stuff I'll play.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Everyone recommends Xenoblade (and rightly so), so lets see what else I can suggest...

<really good list of games>

Thanks for the list (also thanks to the other guys that posted)! I'll research these and check it out.

I totally forgot about Trauma Center. I think I still have my copy. Hell of a game for showing off the Wii when it first came out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Walked into a local Walmart and picked up a Deluxe model this morning. Currently downloading the update, which is taking forever. Like, the progress bar hasn't moved in 10 minutes.

Can't wait to play some Zombi U! My sister and some others are coming over this weekend, so I'm gonna save Nintendoland until then.

I'm also scrolling through Gamefly's used section of Wii games to pick up some that I missed. I'm a huge Zelda fanboy, but the stuff I've heard about Skyward Sword sounds like some of the worst aspects of Twilight Princess got brought over. Slow text, endlessly repeating and unskippable animations, etc. Kind of a bummer.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I had heard that the menus were slow but it just took me 15 seconds to open the settings app, and another 15 to exit it back to the main menu. Goddamn.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Legdiian posted:

I wanted to say you were exaggerating but I just timed it. 16 seconds into the app and 22 seconds out.

Yeah, I counted just to be sure. Everything seems super slow. So far I've had to update the system, the Amazon app, the YouTube app...I've had the thing on for two hours and have barely been able to use it. Kind of makes a bad first impression.

Hopefully the Nintendoland won't take long...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
How do you find demos on the eShop?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Strat posted:

There is an option right down the bottom for Demos (If you're luck and in Australia you get to choose from TWO - Fifa and Rayman)...

I finally found one by searching the actual name and them going into details. Thanks for the tip, though!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So, I'm trying to figure out this Club Nintendo stuff. I've setup an account, linked it to my console, and want to add NintendoLand to get those sweet sweet coins. It requires a PIN number to do so, but my copy of NintenoLand doesn't have one of the pictured inserts, and I don't see any that would have matched. I didn't see a PIN number for the console either, I just used the S/N. Am I supposed to be looking for something in particular?

I wish Nintendo would hurry up and figure out the Virtual Console stuff. I don't want to buy stuff through Wii mode but I'd like to pick up the old school Zelda games. If there was a way to play Wind Waker on my WiiU I'd drop $35 in a heart beat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

greatn posted:

The bundled version of Nintendo land that comes with the Pro system doesn't have a code. On Club Nintendo a survey for the game worth 50 points will show up after a few days.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. It took a day for the WiiU survey to pop up, so no biggie.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a good place to get nunchuks for cheap? Amazon has them for like $30, but that's more than I spent for the Wiimote (via the Flingsmash deal). Are the knockoffs ok, or should I stick with Nintendo only?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

katkillad2 posted:

Hypotheticals like "I bought a wii-u at launch, sold it 2 weeks later because screw nintendo, but now i'm rebuying it for monster hunter and where are my downloaded games" are what i'm talking about. If someone either has that kind of money to waste or is just bad with money in general then I guess that's their problem, but no I don't consider it a valid argument when you know how things work on the console beforehand. This scenario right here is the only way anyone currently gets screwed over out of digitally purchased items.

I'm not saying something like how 360 handles license transfers isn't preferable and it should probably be a standard, but it's not currently that way with the Wii-U. I don't think having a different perspective makes me a shill.

I haven't been through the Wii U documentation thoroughly, but I'm pretty sure there's no paragraph explaining that purchases are tied to that console and can be downloaded after the fact even after restoring the OS to defaults.

Your argument that you can sell that system with those games attached to it is good, but it's a bit of a risk since Nintendo could just change it so that it's tied to the account holder instead of the hardware.

It's pretty inconceivable for Nintendo to have dropped the ball on this one. Both of their primary competitors have had multiple device support since they were released years ago (I'll grant you that it wasn't always as easy as it is now, but still, support was there). Hell, Apple has been doing this with iTunes and the App Store for close to a decade. Not to mention all the various "cloud" accounts you could have for movies and music nowadays, through Amazon, Google, or Sony. Fake edit: oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Steam. It's like no one at Nintendo has had a gaming console, computer, or iDevice in the last decade.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I should feel pretty safe about buying VC games like Zelda 1 or LttP via the Wii Emulator and then eventually being able to pony up some more dough to get them on the WiiU?

I really regret trading my original Wii where I bought $50 worth of VC stuff. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

thefncrow posted:

Well, it will probably cost you more money to do it that way. It sounds the WiiU VC versions are going to cost the same as the Wii VC versions, which means if you go buy everything on Wii VC, you'll be paying $1 or $1.50 extra per title to pay for the upgrade.

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the deal. I've been itching to play some of the original Zelda lately...but was kind of waiting until the WiiU VC came out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Teenage Fansub posted:

Keep in mind the Wii emulator upscales, so if your TV doesn't do screen size adjustments in HD like mine doesn't, your 4:3 game'll be stretched out.

Hm, good point. I think mine does allows me to change the aspect ratio regardless of the incoming signal, though. That's how I fix it on all those stupid movie channels that are all stretched out.

Thanks, ya'll!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Teenage Fansub posted:

I doubt there'll be anything to see from the new Zelda in a little over four months considering what we saw of the WW remake was probably barely more than a quick test.

I don't expect for that game to be released until 2015, honestly. Holiday 2014 if they get their poo poo together. Maybe. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for new Zelda games, I just know it's going to be a long loving time before that hits. I expect some light info and a couple of screens at this year's E3, and a big media dump during E3 2014.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, I'm bummed. A few months ago I saw that Nintendo was putting out a history of Zelda ("Hyrule Hystoria") and I preordered it immediately. I forgot about it until it was delivered tonight. It's fantastic...but it seems to have a LOT of information from Skyward Sword, which I haven't played yet. :(

At least this is an excuse to go buy the game, right?

So pretty:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GI_Clutch posted:

I can picture the Nintendophone now. A call comes in and you slide to accept it. By the time the phone application finally starts up fifteen seconds later, the other party has already hung up. Then you wait another eight seconds to get back to the home screen. They'll fix that in an update in sixth months. Then you have to wait another three months for your carrier to approve the update and push it out OTA.

B-b-but it has Zelda! On my phone!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

But don't you think it's fair to request a fair price for what is essentially the same game running on different hardware? Especially since other companies have not only released HD versions for less, but also collections of HD versions for less? Of course, this assumes that the $60 price tag is accurate and not just a placeholder.

(Also, only because it's running on an emulator doesn't mean it's pirated. Simply having a Wii makes it very easy to dump retail GC and Wii discs.)

"Fair price" is what the market will buy a product for, and we know that Nintendo products usually have a higher sale value than other, similar, products in the marketplace. Personally? I think asking more than $50 is a bit unreasonable, and I think $40 would be perfect. That said, if the restore the removed dungeons and tweak the game a bit, I'd gladly pay $60 for it.

And we probably shouldn't go down this path here, but depending on where you live, dumping images of GC and Wii discs could very much be pirating, even if you're only using them for personal use.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So Gamefly is sending my Skyward Sword this week. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the game, but I'm looking forward to it as it'll my first Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Is the amount of bullshit in the game really as bad as people made it out to be when it was released? By people I mean various gaming podcasts, really. Twilight Princess wore me out with the way that it would tell me what a blue rupee is even though I was 30 hours deep into the game.

Also, a technical question regarding the sensor bar. I'm about 14' away from where the bar is, and I'm using the bar that came with my Wii U. It's been forever since I've played a Wii game, do I need to get a longer sensor bar in order for the controller to be easier to use? I seem to remember this being the case way back when.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Neo Rasa posted:

Also at one point where you do have the opportunity to do an area out of order, due to a glitch if you do it out of order a flag for another dungeon won't trigger and you'll have to restart the entire game. Have a nice day. :)

Is there a way to know if this is coming up, so I can avoid it?

Thanks for the other responses, I appreciate it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a way to change settings for Wii mode? I'm playing Skyward Sword and getting a 16x9 image that is letter boxed on all sides, which kind of blows. I'm sure I could change it via the TV, but is rather fix it on the console level if possible. The settings menu in Wii mode is basically empty, and I don't see anything in the WiiUs system settings.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So is there no way to improve the visual quality when playing Wii games? I think I've become spoiled by my 360 and PS3 because Skyward Sword looks so loving jaggy. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You can use one of the Wii cables, but that requires changing the output settings in the Wii U menu.

Wait, the WiiU doesn't upscale if you're using HDMI?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ok, so I think I'm confusing things in my head.

The original Wii would play games in 480p if you had the component cable adapter. I want to know if the Wii U plays Wii games at 480p when it's connected via HDMI. I used the term "upscaling" but I don't think I used it correctly.

Basically: does the WiiU play Wii games as good as the Wii did, or is it outputting stuff in SD? Because (like I mentioned earlier) Skyward Sword looks downright ugly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

katkillad2 posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, although I can't confirm if it works or if it's even necessary to do to begin with. I tried it with Xenoblade and the game looked the same before and after. ( But it didn't look bad to begin with so maybe it was displaying correctly for me? )

Go back to the WiiU menu
Go to System Settings
Set it to 480p and 16:9
go back to the Wii menu
It should be fixed
Then apparently when you go back to the WiiU menu next time you can set it back to 1080p and it should convert correctly in Wii mode.

This helped! Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do that. It still doesn't look great, but at least it's on par with how I remember Wii games looking.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a thread for Skyward Sword, or a general Zelda thread? I need to vent about this game.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

CountingCrows posted:

MH3U demo is on the NA Store now, is it the same game as MH3? I've never played a MH game before. Are the graphics updated for the WIIU or what?

This is excellent. I've been insanely curious about this game since its always mentioned in the same breath as Dark Souls. Can't wait to try it out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I had no idea there was a manual. I managed to figure out what the buttons did, but wasn't able to kill the rabbit dude.

I have issues with the demo, but there's something there that appeals to me. I might rent it when it comes out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

blackguy32 posted:

The 360 is the only console I have that had adequate download times. But that was wired. Both my wireless PS3 and wireless Wii are pretty slow, but its much less of a problem on the wii

That's one of the reasons I was bummed about no ethernet port. Wireless is great and all but I love the dependability of a wired connection. If I was downloading more on the Wii I'd check out one of those adapters.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
F-Zero is the first game I've been able to use just on the game pad, and man it's awesome! I find myself using the MiiVerse more too. Kind of interesting how it works. I'll be picking up NSMBU as soon as I'm done with Skyward Sword, and seeing how far the pad will reach from the console...I'm hoping to the bedroom. It's be awesome to have a lazy weekend morning in the bed and play some Mario.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

pixaal posted:

I normally use gamecube controllers with friends but obviously the wiiU wont use them. I hate batteries with a passion and the main reason my wii collected dust was I didn't want to buy batteries and the lovely charge stand battery lasted a year before the stand broke but after a month the battery it came with only lasted an hour. Are there any wiimotes that I can plug in while playing? I never have the foresight to charge the things the day before. If your friends go hey! Lets play wii! Suddenly you are waiting a few hours for the remotes to charge and can't go out to buy some AAs because its past 9PM and you are not in the city so everything closes at 9.

If there is a batter pack that charges over USB and fits into my wiimote that would work too. I have my computer next to my wiiU so plugging stuff in just to charge is not a problem, neither is cable length because I have a dozen 10 foot USB extension cables. Maybe I should just get some of the wiiU pro controllers that I assume just charge like the tablet.

Invest in some rechargeable batteries. At any point I have four on the charger waiting to be used, and all my gaming stuff (besides PS3 controllers and the WiiU game pad) has them installed. I just bought Energizer's stuff, but people seem to talk about how great Eneloop is. It get about 10-15 hours out if a charge, and it takes 20 minutes to recharge four at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TaurusOxford posted:

The issue isn't adding 1-2 outside characters. The issue is adding EVERY OTHER Nintendo franchise to Mario Kart and it still being called "Mario Kart".

I doubt anyone would care about this. At all. I wouldn't care if they put loving Solid Snake in there and called it Mario Kart.

• Locked thread