Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Great summing up.

I'm really looking forward to this season, and the trailer (spoiled just in case) once again has me pumped. Seems like it'll be a nice mix of dark stuff the older fans like and some more lighthearted stuff (the droid infiltration team) for the kids.

Also Sidious vs the brothers Maul... nice. Despite everything, I hope Maul survives at least to the end of this season. It would suck to have him be killed off quickly again. Maybe they'll have Sidious kill Savage and let Maul escape even more pissed off than before. I'd be fine with that.

I just wish they'd use more original Williams music cues in the show, not just in the trailer. On the other hand it may be a "having to pay for the rights to use them" issue, and there is also the chance of them being overused if they did. But a little more here and there wouldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Nice to see the Grinch is still getting work these days.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
And the award for least subtle name goes to... rebel/insurgent/terrorist leader Saw Gerrera. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, we already had Elan Sleazebaggano, Halle Burtoni and even Cad Bane or Greedo, so I guess the occasional clunky name is to be expected. It's like poetry.

Other than that, I'm constantly amazed at the environments in the show. Onderon was really beautifully done. The only thing that annoys me is that apparently there is never any sloped ground on any planet - I can't remember the characters ever walking uphill or downhill anywhere, it's all either even terrain or cliffs/stairs, almost like the old "2.5D" engine that the old Doom games used... it's slightly off-putting.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Apparently, after all the claims of "we're finally doing things in chronological order now", the show has gone out of sequence again.

The first episode, "Revival", originally was to have aired a lot later, but it was decided to open the season with a Maul-centered story (which makes sense, ratings-wise).
However, this means that Hondo's story that the Separatists destroyed his planet will (according to the official website) be shown in a later episode. Also, Adi Gallia was alive and well on the council in "A War on Two Fronts".
It also explains why the current Dark Horse comic series "Darth Maul: Death Sentence", essentially a prequel arc to "Revival", won't have its final issue out until the end of October: Apparently it was supposed to flow neatly into the original broadcast schedule of the episode.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 9, 2012

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Maybe my phrasing was less than clear - English isn't my first language. Apologies.

The creators of the show made a point of the fact that while previously, episodes had been jumping around in chronology, from now on everything would happen in sequence.

Originally, it was supposed to have happened this way:

- March 16, 2012: End of season 4
- July 25, 2012: Comic book "Darth Maul: Death Sentence" begins
- September 29, 2012: Season 5 opens with the episode "War on Two Fronts", in which we see Adi Gallia on the council
- At some later point: an episode airs in which the Separatists lay waste to Florrum
- October 17, 2012: the "Death Sentence" comic ends and leads into the episode "Revival"
- At some point after that: Episode "Revival" airs, in which Hondo refers to the damage the separatists did and we see Adi Gallia being killed by Savage Opress.

Now, with "Revival" being pushed as season opener, we have a jump in chronology again. Not that I don't understand why the decision to change the air date was made. It makes sense to open with a Maul story to keep the viewers interested.

I hope it's clearer now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXF2j5JAds

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 9, 2012

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
This felt... I dunno... it's like quite some time after it was decided to stretch this arc into four parts, they realized too late that there really wasn't a lot of plot to part two. It felt drawn out, slow, and tedious.
Apparently Dooku unloaded all his second-rate quality droids on Onderon, because those things couldn't shoot worth poo poo. I can sort of believe this with the normal battle droids (whose threat level varies wildly according to the needs of the plot anyway), but the super battle droids and especially the commando droids? Plus they all seemed to move at half speed. In that respect I guess I can see why the capture of the tank happened at such a leisurely pace as well, after the frantic scramble during the training scene in the previous episode.

There were a lot more minor niggles, chief among them:
- the use of the term "rebel alliance" in the intro - YES, WE GET IT, THIS IS THE NEW CANON. But they're not really an alliance yet, they don't have any other rebels to be allied with. But hey, namedropping, woo!
- the brother/sister reveal. Apart from the fact that it was mentioned in various official sources a week ago, it doesn't really change the dynamic of the characters in any significant way. But hey, Return of the Jedi recall, woo!
- Anakin's "I know how you feel" to Ahsoka right in front of both Obi-Wan and Lux. Subtle.

Before I get too ranty: Loved the music and the visuals, especially the camera sweeps, which I think is something we haven't seen so far. Didn't like the the writing this time. Not one bit.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
The decision to move the Maul story up front and not to start the season with this arc is looking better all the time.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
I wouldn't have thought it from the first previews, but this Younglings arc is quickly starting to become the most enjoyable arc I've seen in some time.

It also feels pretty "starwarsy" without relying too much on verbal or situational quotes from the movies, as other episodes have done - the Sarlacc scene homage in the Slaver arc last season comes to mind. This time they manage to create the familiar feeling simply by using established elements from the movies (the ship's corridors, the training remotes) and using them in a fresh way.

Also, as an older Star Wars fan I dug the reference to the Kaiburr crystals from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the granddaddy of all expanded universe novels.

Finally, did anyone else get a Holy Grail/Black Knight vibe from the fighting professor droid?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Spent the episode wondering where the hell Yoda ran off to.

He was already on Ilum when the kids arrived, so presumably he arrived and left via his own transport.

limp_cheese posted:

Also, what happens when a Jedi's lightsaber is lost/destroyed? Do they go back into the cave and find another once-in-a-lifetime magic crystal? I'm positive Anakin has had that happen at the very least once.

I love the idea of some poor unlucky bastard who continually gets laughed at by the other Jedi because he has to shlep over to Ilum for the umpteenth time.

Actually - this explains why Yoda didn't accompany the kids: In his youth, he was that unlucky bastard and now he's sick to death of that drat droid blabbing to the younglings about what a clumsy idiot their venerated master used to be.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

RunAndGun posted:

* When the kids repelled the attack, the "leader" of the kids had his lightsaber explode. Which meant they were down one crystal. But when they went to rescue, they all had lightsabers.

Not to defend the occasional stupidity of the show, but after the explosion we clearly see the crystal land on the floor in front of the kid, who grabs it before running away.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

For the EU experts, was this explanation for lightsaber construction and ... selection in line with what was written in the past? I know someone already mentioned other planets having crystals though.

Also, in the prequel movies themselves, didn't they show younglings way younger than these training with small sabers?

Yeah, the location of the crystals varies - although I see no real problem there. They don't say that Ilum is the only planet where you can get the crystals, after all (or do they? - I might misremember), and if some other crystal sources do exist (e.g. in the Old Republic era), it's entirely believable that they got lost or destroyed in a few thousand years' time.

The construction process (levitating the pieces, focusing the crystal properly or else the lightsaber will blow up etc.) goes back to either the Shadows of the Empire novel or the Return of the Jedi radio drama, both from 1996, and has been referred to several times in various EU sources.

From what I recall, the younglings used training lightsabers, which had a much lower power setting. Again, I see no problem with the temple having a few hundred of those sitting in a locker somewhere and using them for basic weapon-handling training until the more serious Force-attuned training begins.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
So, thoughts on the new episode:

- Hondo is still awesome, but they could have been a bit more subtle in his characterisation. As it is, he's almost Harvey Dent-like in his personality changes. The other characters even called him out on his "yesterday I had no problems with killing these children, today I like them" morality, which was even weirder.

- Why did the droids melt everything down rather than taking the equipment and outfitting Separatist forces with it? And for that matter, why not simply kill Hondo and his men? Dooku's plan didn't make a lot of sense to me.

- Very cool to see Grievous' spider-walk again. Also, the duel with Ahsoka was exceptionally well done - for once you got the feeling that this guy is loving dangerous (except at the end when he curled up in a fetal position after being fired upon, which kinda ruined the effect).

- The highlight though: Slave One back in action! :tviv:

In short, even with the odd clunky moment, this arc has been one of my favourites so far.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

RunAndGun posted:

Couldn't that also be another ship of the same class as "Slave One"?

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/promos/201007_secretcode/tools/downloads/video3/index.html

Much as I like Dave Filoni, in his presentations he sometimes is the epitome of :smug:.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

That almost felt like a throwback to some of the very early episodes, like The Blue Shadow Virus.

Admittedly, I liked the young Jedi arc, so I can stand lighter fare in my grimdark Clone Wars, but I could have stomached this episode a lot better if we'd had some darker episodes between the younglings arc and this.

The wise-cracking clumsy pit droid was annoying, but I sort of get why he was there - you need to have at least one talking droid character for the younger kids to identify with and to make them understand the story better. What really pissed me off was the lazy design of the colonel: Star Wars created so many cool looking creatures, and here we get the generic bug-eyed green alien.

I can only hope this was a one-off, and not the start of another four-parter.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 1, 2012

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

alg posted:

Why did they change R2-KT to QT-KT :smith:

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Preview_TCW_Secret_Weapons_149089.asp posted:

* QT-KT is inspired by R2-KT, a pink astromech droid created by Star Wars fans in tribute to Katie Johnson, daughter of Albin Johnson, founder of the 501st Legion. The droid, who is now dedicated to the memory of the late Katie, makes appearances at children’s hospitals. Though R2-KT previously appeared in The Clone Wars movie, Qutee is a separate droid to avoid having two droids named “Artoo” on the same mission.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

www.theforce.net posted:

The Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni described this Saturday's episode, "A Sunny Day in the Void" (S5 Ep. 11), as "really abstract" and "really experimental stuff." Get ready for a truly bizarre second part of the series' droid arc!

Oh, goody.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
That wasn't really a terrible episode per se, just very very boring and inconsequential: Gascon initially hates droids, and at the end he has some new-found respect for (one of) them. Didn't we cover that territory last episode?

All in all, I expected much worse stuff going by Filoni's "abstract and experimental" quote. Instead, it looked like this was the "skimping on the animation budget so we can pull off spectacular space battles in other episodes" episode of the season.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
OK, so there was one awesome thing in the last episode: Apparently they snuck in a reference to Jaxxon, the green rabbit.

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Was_Jaxxon_In_The_Latest_TCW_Episode_149269.asp

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Well, that was a lot better - but only because the two episodes before were so dismal. I would have liked to see a bit more time spent on Gregor's memory coming back more slowly than, for example, showing Gascon griping about food, but at least it's over.

Still, it was nice to see more creatures from the original trilogy added to the character model library, especially the Sullustan, but also the Aqualish spitting in the street.

EDIT: I just read up on the arc. It's a four-parter. :gonk:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
While the story is pretty lackluster, at least some of the art department people manage to put a lot of love and fun into their work.
Last episode we had Jaxxon's skeleton, and according to the episode guide on starwars.com, this time around these awesome posters are visible in different places in the town:

"Kowakian Monkey Island", "Full Throttle" and "Day of the Sarlacc"

I'm tempted to go look for them, but it would mean watching the episode again.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
God, that felt good.

Pretty crammed, sure, like they wanted to tell a 90-minute story in 20, but after that dismal droid business, what a rush.

I honestly can't wait to see where they're going with this.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
You know, I wonder how rabid Karen Traviss fans took this episode, what with Mandalore's return to their warrior culture and all.

Loved the duel. Not too short, lots and lots of cool little details and moves, and Viszla's beheading was a great example of how you get away on children's TV with portraying something incredibly brutal without actually showing it, if you frame the shot right and let the sound do the work for you.

The more I'm looking at this shot, the more I admire it. I know it's CG and therefore much easier to frame, but look at the way Bo-Katan's elbow juust covers the missing head as the body collapses. Masterful.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Sith Happens posted:

My take on this was that Maul was fighting Vizla specifically to win the loyalty of the rest of Death Watch.

[...]

But again, it may have all just been for show.

Pretty much this. Compare his normal quiet and restrained way of speaking with his challenge to Viszla, suddenly all roaring and chest-thumping machismo.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Very decent episode, but why did they have Cato Neimoidia being attacked by Separatists for the opening scene? I thought the Neimoidians were already part of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Unless this comes into play again later, it's a very odd choice.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 9, 2013

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

McTimmy posted:

The other option is that other Padawan Ahsoka was talking too in the first bits. She was acting shifty.

That's pretty much the obvious choice. In the previews we saw Ahsoka fighting a masked lightsaber-wielding female who I always assumed to be Assaj Ventress. It makes much more sense though, given Assaj's recent character development, for this character to be Barris Offee. They have the same general body shape as well.

As for the episode itself: Holy hell that looked good! And I didn't have one single groan-worthy moment I can recall, so... well done! The ending may well have been a nod towards the upcoming 1313 game, though with the Disney sale, I have no idea whether that is even still on the menu.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

(Fixed the link, didn't work for me)

Nice. One thing they do (did? :ohdear:) well in the show is to really make the viewers feel Anakin's growing frustration with the decision of the Jedi Council.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
I really don't think the assassin will turn out to be anyone but Barriss. If the writers have any sense of structure and the principle of Chekhov's gun, it won't be anyone who hasn't been seen in the arc so far. It'll be interesting to hear her motives and rationale though.

(Mental note: never read the forums on theforce.net again - some people there are seriously convinced it'll be an EU video game character.)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

I don't want it to be Barriss :smith:

Anything else would be unduli complicated.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Island3 posted:

[gandalf]I suppose you think that was terribly clever.[/gandalf]

No need to get saesee, kit. Let's call it even I and promise I won't do it agen.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Kellanved posted:

I don't really care that much about Ahsoka but I hope they won't kill Ventress in some bullshit redemption death scene. Well, they shouldn't kill her at all - she's awesome.

After the recent business with Viszla and Satine, I thought for a second that Ventress might be killed in that episode when Barriss (:colbert:) struck her down.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Wow. I actually teared up a little at the end. Very cool of them to let the music run through the credits without the usual fanfare and Clone Wars theme, and even without the Artoo bleeping sounds - it made the impact of the scene all the more powerful.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

That moment aside, does anybody else think that they got some of the iconography wrong during the trial? Palpatine had red robed royal guards with him and the symbol of the empire was above his head.

Not really. The red guards have been with Palpatine in the show before, and the "spoked wheel" emblem has been used as the symbol of the Galactic Republic at least since Episode II, if not Episode I.

On another topic, I've just watched the latest featurette over at the official site. Apart from the fact that Lucas has apparently always been in the "Ahsoka dies" camp and Filoni on the side of "Ahsoka lives", I found something else interesting: Apparently, during the writers' discussions, there are official reference books lying around on the table.

Now rather than debating whether George has ever looked at them or not, I'm more interested in what they actually are.
I could make out the Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia and the Essential Guide to Planets and Moons but I have no idea what the other books are. Can anyone else enlighten us?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

dotalchemy posted:

Outstandingly, the link posted above basically tells all of this, whereas the "Company Update" email we all just got arrived at 2:38pm today.

OK, now I'm genuinely curious: Are you employed by Disney or Lucasfilm?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

dotalchemy posted:

Lucasfilm, and to be honest we probably know less about the Disney acquisition than TMZ.

I'm leaving at the end of the month though and quite honestly it can't come quickly enough. I'd rant, but this probably isn't the place. You can feel free to "Ask Me Anything" next Saturday and I'll answer what I know, which, as already mentioned, is probably less than most blogs.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would be very interested in an insider's view (of whatever scope it may be - after all, I have no idea whether you're Dave Filoni himself or a lady who works in the cafeteria).

And as for the ranting: Most anti-Lucas rants tend to come from armchair critics who have no idea about the inner workings of the company, so yours might be both more interesting and more entertaining.

You are right about this not being the proper place though. How about making a thread in Ask/Tell once you've finished your job? Or did you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement? See, already I'm starting with the questions...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

What's the word on the final Clone Wars episodes?

None so far. There has been a (so far unsubstantiated) rumor that they will be released exclusively on the Apple TV device, but somehow I can't imagine that they want to limit the exposure to such a small group of users. Also, let's face it, The Clone Wars isn't a hot enough property that it will get many people to buy an Apple TV just to see it, so that idea fails as a marketing incentive. I can see the episodes getting released there first, but not exclusively.

More info: http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Rumor_Digital_Distribution_For_TCW_Bonus_Content_Ep_VII_News_Rebels_Episodes_153871.asp

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

EddieDean posted:

I know that Disney are full steam ahead on the franchise refocused around the upcoming sequel trilogy now, and are spending their current media efforts on reminding people of the most beloved bits of the originals and the core returning characters.

But I do hope that we learn what happened with Ahsoka (though I'm happy enough with her current ending, I suppose), and how the reemergence of Maul gets resolved.

Edit: Just realised I said the same thing at the top of the page... four months ago.

I doubt we'll be seeing any more of Ahsoka (especially not in Episode VII, as some nuts out there are claiming), but the time frame of Rebels is perfect for a final Maul arc.

All in all though, I'd prefer if Rebels had its own "continuity within the continuity", so to speak, and not carry any holdover plot points from The Clone Wars. Let them resolve Maul in a comic book if they must, or a direct-to-video special a few years down the line.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

Like It was handled in the visionaries comic?

Minus the chicken legs. Such a shame they got rid of them again, I really dug the design.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
After all the characterization they gave the clones in the previous show, I doubt they'll just abandon that when the clonetroopers turn into stormtroopers.

Also, I find it interesting that although there was talk about going into another direction art-wise, the image of the Inquisitor looks pretty much like the Clone Wars style we've seen for the last few years. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
So there is a new Rebels video up, and it introduces one of the main characters. Spoilers, I guess. So far I'm liking what I see, although what we see is mostly animatics.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/11/freddie-prinze-jr-star-wars-rebels-first-look/4802651/

BTW, does Rebels have its own thread yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
The remaining episodes are going to be on Netflix:
http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontNetflix_To_Distribute_Star_Wars_The_Clone_Wars_Bonus_Content_In_The_US_156614.asp

Also, Liam Neeson returns as the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread