Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You'd think that Donny would try a metal staff, since the wooden one keeps snapping.

Or maybe a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought his staff had a blade on it at one point, maybe in the Stockman episode? Or he could just tape a stun gun to it. I bet robots don't like stun guns! :science::psylon:

Or, hopefully people can follow along with this insane idea: They could start HITTING THE KRANGS IN THE FACE. I bet Donny would be great at that. :fuckoff:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I love how Splinter has a bit of a smart rear end streak to him now.

BTW, what is up with the Krang brains? Where the hell are they going? Will we ever get some answers to this part of the drat series? Driving me nuts.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MrBigglesworth posted:

BTW, what is up with the Krang brains? Where the hell are they going?

They are going to that place which is the place where the plan will be implemented at the place mentioned in the plan.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I liked the episode but I do wish they start advancing the plot a little.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

I liked the episode but I do wish they start advancing the plot a little.

Agreed. This episode was really light on plot. In fact, at the end of the episode, Splinter congratulates Donny for stopping the Kraang's plot and saving the city... I guess that happened, but really all they did was fight some guys that April overheard talking about a poisoning the water with mutagen...

And them not hitting the Kraang when they were able to hit Metalhead's face two inches away was really dumb. If they didn't want to have the turtles hurt a vulnerable brain, all they had to do was not show them clearly being able to hit it.

Action scene's were very awesome though. Definitely need to make some gifs...

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The brain thing was especially dumb since Leo was yelling "It must have a weak spot!!"

I have to agree that smart rear end Splinter is the best part of the show. It's nice to see metalhead again. I like that he's one of the things that's made it through pretty much every version of the show.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 31, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Episode 7 was pretty great, I especially enjoyed the psychic effects. I didn't expect to see 2 Donatello-heavy episodes in a row, though. (Not that I'd mind)
Is there a high-res version of the flowchart? Those tiny drawings were pretty adorable.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

horriblePencilist posted:

Episode 7 was pretty great, I especially enjoyed the psychic effects. I didn't expect to see 2 Donatello-heavy episodes in a row, though. (Not that I'd mind)
Is there a high-res version of the flowchart? Those tiny drawings were pretty adorable.

We have a big printout of the flowchart hanging on the wall of the studio, along with the Space Heroes poster. I'd love it if Ciro would put up all the incidental decorations from the show somewhere (stickers, comics, etc.). He spends a lot of time on them and it's a shame you only catch a brief glimpse in the show. The comics Raph reads give little nods to other episodes.

Next week's episode is a favorite among the crew, and the start of broader story arcs in the show. I also got to board about 4 seconds of it. Woo!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Recycle Bin posted:

We have a big printout of the flowchart hanging on the wall of the studio, along with the Space Heroes poster. I'd love it if Ciro would put up all the incidental decorations from the show somewhere (stickers, comics, etc.). He spends a lot of time on them and it's a shame you only catch a brief glimpse in the show. The comics Raph reads give little nods to other episodes.

Next week's episode is a favorite among the crew, and the start of broader story arcs in the show. I also got to board about 4 seconds of it. Woo!

Sounds great, I'll be looking forward to that then. It's great having someone involved in the production on the forums, I'm really appreciating all the info you can give us.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Recycle Bin posted:

We have a big printout of the flowchart hanging on the wall of the studio, along with the Space Heroes poster.

That poster was one of my favorite things about the episode and I immediately recognized the cues it took from the Star Trek: The Motion Picture poster (but didn't recognize the nod to ST III's poster!)

The only thing I've been minorly uncomfortable with in the show is how it seems the turtles casually create some of their nemeses (specifically Baxter and, uh, Lewis Black's character), not just in terms of causing their mutations but in dealing psychological damage to them by beating them up and reveling in it a bit when they win. This seems to be a running thing, though, and I expect it'll turn into another one of their learning experiences.

And if it doesn't, not really a huge deal. It does give me a cold vibe, though, like when the Powerpuff Girls put that guy in jail for draining the color from everything when his actions resulted from a freak accident and the effect it had on him. I mean, villains gotta pay and all, but drat.

Still, really enjoying this show. Just for fun I looked at the first episode of Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation (it's up on Netflix!) and the comparison really brought home just how good the new show is and how much care is going into it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Discount Viscount posted:

The only thing I've been minorly uncomfortable with in the show is how it seems the turtles casually create some of their nemeses (specifically Baxter and, uh, Lewis Black's character), not just in terms of causing their mutations but in dealing psychological damage to them by beating them up and reveling in it a bit when they win. This seems to be a running thing, though, and I expect it'll turn into another one of their learning experiences.

Well they are teenagers, after all.
That's what I like about this show, they feel much more like actual teens. The 80s series was pretty void of a lot of character for the sake of idolizing the turtles (for instance Mikey as the ultimate "teen culture lifeform"), and the Mirage comics and other incarnations such as Back to the Sewer had them much more serious and independent. This cartoon shows them having fun, making mistakes, disobeying parental figures, you know, stuff teenagers do.
Funny how no one ever took the "Teenage" part in TMNT serious.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I love the Space Heroes cartoon that Leo watches. It looks like a direct copy of the Star Trek animated series!

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

This has been floating around youtube for a while, but I just discovered it the other day: the pilot from 2001 for a possible CG TMNT show. The models are awful, but the motion capture fighting isn't half bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQG8A0fXCqU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Discount Viscount posted:

besides what horriblepencilist said, note that April had a chance to show some character and will be training with the turtles now, and every decision she made was motivated out of compassion. Telling the others to stop making fun of Don, not getting mad when Don was gushing over her with Metalhead, thinking about how the monkey was feeling even after it beat up Don and then the others, and she even seemed upset at the thought of animal experimentation itself. She might end up a foil for the turtles who have been trained all their lives for combat but haven't yet cottoned to the idea that it's not all black and white. And I have seen worse with the good guys being uncompassionate assholes and not being called out on it legend of korra the main characters are p. unlikable, transformers animated is so much worse

MrBigglesworth posted:

I love the Space Heroes cartoon that Leo watches. It looks like a direct copy of the Star Trek animated series!

I would not mind a full episode of Space Heroes.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Recycle Bin posted:

This has been floating around youtube for a while, but I just discovered it the other day: the pilot from 2001 for a possible CG TMNT show. The models are awful, but the motion capture fighting isn't half bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQG8A0fXCqU

This is why you shouldn't use unfiltered mocap with stylized models. The smooth and detailed animation doesn't go well with the simplified model at all. Their subtle and minimalistic movement makes them look like awkward mascots. Another good example would be Sonic 06, where the models all look like puppets.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MrBigglesworth posted:

I did like that NotKirk's response to the brain slug was to immediately shoot the crewmember.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

besides what horriblepencilist said, note that April had a chance to show some character and will be training with the turtles now, and every decision she made was motivated out of compassion. Telling the others to stop making fun of Don, not getting mad when Don was gushing over her with Metalhead, thinking about how the monkey was feeling even after it beat up Don and then the others, and she even seemed upset at the thought of animal experimentation itself. She might end up a foil for the turtles who have been trained all their lives for combat but haven't yet cottoned to the idea that it's not all black and white. And I have seen worse with the good guys being uncompassionate assholes and not being called out on it legend of korra the main characters are p. unlikable, transformers animated is so much worse

Yeah, that was one thing I considered after the latest episode. Splinter made a big deal out of it too so it sure seems that's the way it's going. I'm pleased. And ditto on the whole playing up their teenage-ness this time around, it's nice to see it used for character development instead of merely a reason to give them skateboards and have them eat pizza.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I did like that NotKirk's response to the brain slug was to immediately shoot the crewmember.

I like the running gag of slapping sense into the crewmember.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I do like the easter eggs and subtle nods to the previous incarnations of the turtles they put in here. Whether it is Mikey humming the theme song, the old April O'Neil in the comic, or the musical cues from the first movie.

edit: also the show seems like it should be creating more gifs, like Mikey's dance or when he tells Splinter after his no thinking fight.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 11, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To say nothing of Mike's tattoo.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Episode 8 has to be my favorite one fight-wise. The episode was kinda thin on the story, but the fight scenes were pretty spectacular and unique. Definitely best Mikey, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

By this point, Donny's pretty much the worst turtle. He spends all of his time creepin' on April.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You mean BEST turtle.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
They really pulled out all the stops in this episode, wow. The fight scences were absolutely stunning and it's so much better when they fight humanoids instead of Krangs and giant monsters. They can actually do real moves and spar, it's awesome.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Athropos posted:

They really pulled out all the stops in this episode, wow. The fight scences were absolutely stunning and it's so much better when they fight humanoids instead of Krangs and giant monsters. They can actually do real moves and spar, it's awesome.

It also feels like Leo is actually fighting. It must be tricky to have a lethal weapon be only used in fights with no blood and still make it look believable.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This show gets better with every episode.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have to agree. That was easily the funniest one yet. The whole Mike->Splinter swap was great.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow! Best fight scenes yet!
Also, from that last line, I guess the writers really liked The Avengers!

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I've been wanting to gush a little about the amazing storyboard team on this show, and today's episode is a perfectly good excuse to do so.

The final fight was a real team effort. It was due the next day, so board artists/revisionists from all three teams along with Ciro the executive producer divided up the fight beats and worked on it from 6 pm until the following morning. If I remember correctly, the fight has boards by Sheldon Vella, Byron Penaranda, Miki Brewster, Michael Fong, (director) Alan Wan, Fabien Tong, Ciro Nieli and myself.

(I should also mention Chong Lee, who handled much of the storytelling between fights, including the hilarious smoke bomb bit)

Oh, and those awesome fights in episode 8? You can thank Adam Lucas for the fights in Murakami's and the fortune cookie factory and director Michael Chang for the epic rooftop fight at the end.

Recycle Bin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 17, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Would it ever be possible for you to post bits of story boards from past episodes?

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

PureRok posted:

Would it ever be possible for you to post bits of story boards from past episodes?

I've been meaning to ask what the protocol is for releasing boards. I see boards from Korra getting posted all the time, so I can't imagine they'd want to keep these under lock and key forever.

In the meantime though, here are a few panels that are floating around online. The first three are Ciro's boards from today's episode, then a sweet Splinter by Adam Lucas and finally Sheldon doing what Sheldon does best:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really liked the foreshadowing with the henchmen handling the dog and the fish. The bow fighting was a really cool touch too. I think my favorite thing is Mikey finally using that long chain thing and not immediately being yanked around. (the second time)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This show is way better than it should be. Gimme a Krang in a big pigman robot and we'll be set.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I think the smoke bombs were a nice touch, they're a great asset for the turtles, they're put together in the most ghetto way possible and it's good seeing Don creating something the others are into right away. Usually, Donnie's inventions are met with skepticism and ridicule, often for a good reason.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

I think the smoke bombs were a nice touch, they're a great asset for the turtles, they're put together in the most ghetto way possible and it's good seeing Don creating something the others are into right away. Usually, Donnie's inventions are met with skepticism and ridicule, often for a good reason.

And then Mikey showed off his random surprising skills by smoke bombing Splinter in outta nowhere :golfclap:

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I'm really loving this show a lot more than I thought I would. It's a blast. Quick question though, anyone know if they have the rights to use characters like Usagi in this series?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I wouldn't see why Usagi Yojimbo couldn't show up given that he was in both iterations of the animated series. Stan Sakai still has control over Usagi; If they wanted to use him they'd have to talk to him about it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

kefkafloyd posted:

I wouldn't see why Usagi Yojimbo couldn't show up given that he was in both iterations of the animated series. Stan Sakai still has control over Usagi; If they wanted to use him they'd have to talk to him about it.

Pretty sure there were more than two animated series of the TMNT. Anyway, the whole rights situation could get kinda iffy, because the license has been around. However, a quick trip to wikipedia tells me that both series in which Usagi was featured were owned by 2 different companies each, so I unless someone snags the TV-rights for the character (Usagi Yojimbo isn't part of the Turtles, after all) right in front of Nick's nose, a guest appearance should be very likely.
Besides, the creators would probably LOVE to do an Usagi episode. After all, they're just as much of a Turtle fan as the next 80s kid.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pretty sure there were more than two animated series of the TMNT. Anyway, the whole rights situation could get kinda iffy, because the license has been around. However, a quick trip to wikipedia tells me that both series in which Usagi was featured were owned by 2 different companies each, so I unless someone snags the TV-rights for the character (Usagi Yojimbo isn't part of the Turtles, after all) right in front of Nick's nose, a guest appearance should be very likely.
Besides, the creators would probably LOVE to do an Usagi episode. After all, they're just as much of a Turtle fan as the next 80s kid.

The 1988 and 2003 animated series went on for many seasons each, with a lot if different ideas, but they were basically only two series based on production.

Stan Sakai controls pretty much everything related to Usagi; if he wants it to happen, it will. I'm sure if they asked him something could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This series is seriously awesome. This past episode, I honestly thought someone was going to die while fighting Shredder even though it's still pretty early in the series. I simply cannot wait for next Saturday.

Raph's dialogue is just filled with snarky one-liner comments. Everything he says is great. He's quickly becoming my favorite turtle all over again.

If the series goes into darker episodes like TMNT 2k3 did (...I STILL remember "Insane in the Membrane" and it STILL creeps me out), I honestly think I'd feel sorry for the turtles. I just want them to stay happy forever and never have to deal with creepy poo poo.

Everything just gets happier, right? :ohdear:

Either way, I LOVE this show. Recycle Bin, you guys did an amazing job! Also, I was wondering where's your avatar from?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 18, 2012

• Locked thread