Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

GNU Order posted:

I don't know the exact details but in earlier versions of the game the dice were actually predictable. Somebody correct me if I wrong but before the game started it would generate a huge list of dice rolls meaning you could find and use this list to know what dice were upcoming and use that to your advantage.

This is essentially how a pseudorandom number generator works. If the algorithm isn't seeded with a different random seed each game, then the dice rolls will repeat the same pattern in every game. I guess they didn't properly seed the RNG.

Knowing Cyanide, they're probably using the basic C stdlib rand() function for dice rolls. It typically produces fairly poor random numbers, especially if used wrong.

Here's an article for all of you who want to join the eternal internet blood war about randomness in video games: http://eternallyconfuzzled.com/arts/jsw_art_rand.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Bo-Pepper posted:

Silly question. Since I've never played single player before, is there anything like an end game to the single player? Like some bad rear end team to beat to win a trophy? As threadbare as it is, I'd like something like that.

I've played against the AI a bunch because of similar reasons you posted about earlier. No baby, but I can't commit to a hour long game with a constant timer. Try the Chaos Edition's new World Cup mode, I've found that to be more interesting than the campaign. It's a multistage championship kind of thing, where you first have to qualify for a cup tournament, which finally culminates into a best out of 7 final. There's a definite end game, you either get eliminated or win the whole thing. Since you face teams that have 1000+ team value on you, you get to mess around with all the inducements and play with the star players, which you normally don't get to use that much. If you fail to qualify by the first stage elimination cup, you'll be better off restarting though. Otherwise you'll face a loving endless mirror match grind that's probably the worst Blood Bowl experience invented to this date.

The AI is most fun when you just try to score a lot instead of employing any serious business pro strategies. It absolutely cannot deal with a defensive grind play, like a saurus doom wall, or a dorf cage. It will also constantly leave players near the sidelines, so for a fun time, make a Khorne team and frenzy everyone off the pitch.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody in this thread probably already has it, but Blood Bowl is currently in the Humble Indie Bundle, pay what you want!

I was wondering why there were so many people asking random questions in the in-game chat last night. I don't blame them, the process for two new players who have just gotten the game and want to challenge each others newly created teams is not a simple one. It also turns out that the Team Motto text field is kind of picky about some special characters, and if there's something unwanted there, it apparently causes errors when trying to register a team to a league. I didn't test it too much myself, but the error message one player typed into the chat seemed like a parser error from some kind of a scripting language. I hope there isn't a server-side script injection vulnerability laying in wait... although it probably would have been already exploited to all kinds of hell if that was the case.

Thankfully a crack team of programmers is working on Blood Bowl 2, which will erase all these problems for good :gbsmith:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I don't really mind the nickel-and-diming, it's not as if BB2 is going to sell millions of copies even if they manage to make a great version of the game. The thing has to make a profit somehow, and if it actually functions, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. They'd just better get the rules and the UI right, because they sure as hell have some past experience to learn from.

You're on notice, Cyanide :colbert:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

One example is the Player Marketplace. All coaches, from all over the world, will be able to participate in the Marketplace system, selling and buying players. Instead of buying and firing generic players on your own, you can join this huge Marketplace and become rich by selling your batch of young promising players or spending all of your team treasury on the star player of your dreams.

The mind boggles, doesn't it.

When this was first announced, I spent a while thinking about how this could be implemented in a way it'd a) be non-exploitable and b) have any worth whatsoever. I had very little success. Even if you assume for the sake of argument that it won't implode like a half-finished Deathstar, the only thing it would achieve is further homogenization of team compositions. Now all the teams are farmed teams, yay!

I hope they just drop it in without any trading restrictions or oversight. Allow for mixed teams, why the hell not! Since there are trivial and infinite sources of players, gold and spp, it'd essentially be a convoluted team editor for everyone. It'd destroy the public league it's in, but could also be used to set up all kinds of silly teams to play against people you know.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 25, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

The thing that strikes me as funny about this, is that Blizzard tried this free market as a game mechanic thing with one of their flagship franchises, and had to take it back. That's not a proper argument against, non sequitur and all that, but still.

Go on, Cyanide, give us your best shot :allears:.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I usually roll poorly in real life - I wasn't aware this curse would transfer over to the digital world, drat it.

That's not too bad, the odds are only one against a bit over a thousand or so. Ogres always find a way.

EDIT: Turns out that the achievement tracking for BB:CE is completely hosed. The rest of this post is preserved for entertainment purposes only.

That being said, I stumbled on the steam page for the global achievements for BB:CE. Now these pages are about the worst statistical result set you'd want to draw further conclusions on, but hey I thought it'd be pretty funny anyway.

Here's some of the achievements, and the percentage of (steam) game owners that achieved them:

Win an online match: 13,9%
So about 14 in 100 bother with the online scene long enough to get at least one ragequit. Not as bad as it sounds, considering how many steam games are bought and never played for more than a couple of minutes.

Succeed a pass: 13,8%
Suspiciously close to the previous. Correlation or causation? I smell elf bullshit anyway.

Play 3 online matches: 9,3%
Even a bunch of the lucky winners are gone before the third match.

Play 20 online matches: 5,3%
This game wears people down, bit by bit.

Play 50 online matches: 3,4%, Win 50 online matches: 2,5%
Those who stay seem to be capable of taking it. I know I have one of those two achievements.

Win 1000 online matches: 0.1%, Play 2000 online matches: 0.1%
gently caress you, Cyanide. No one could have suffered your implementation of this game for that amount of time without switching to Fumbbl. This is the 0,1% of BB:CE owners who bought the game just to cheat for the achievements.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 11, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Just to clarify my point, I meant that anyone who's prepared to play over 1000 games of blood bowl online, is going to start looking for function over appearance. Yeah, the presentation factor goes for Cyanide, that's why I bother with it when I feel like it.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 11, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Just so you know Storytime, BBCE is really bad with triggering achievements. There are a couple goons who have passed over the "win X games" achievements and I just recently (after like 100+ cyabowl games) had the achievement trigger where you win without completing a pass, which is definitely way late.

So your numbers may be pretty skewed

Yeah, I kind of anticipated that, and that's why I put the statistical disclaimer at the top of my first post. From what I understand, Steam just offers an achievement API for game programmers to use or misuse at will, so we're looking at Cyanide provided numbers here. I still thought It'd be a fun discussion piece, regardless of the angle taken.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

uPen posted:

I've played several hundred games online in cyanide and this is the only achievement I've ever gotten.

The cyanide achievements are 100% broken and are completely useless for tracking anything.

That is an impressive level of brokenness. I'll go an edit a note about this at the top of my first post about the whole thing.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 11, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I think the difference is in what the optimal strategies are. In a (well designed) push-your-luck game you absolutely have to take risks to win. In blood bowl, avoiding risk is the best play in most situations. You'll roll a bunch of dice each match, but games aren't usually decided by the rolls. Instead it's positioning your players in a way that makes good rolls really good for you, and the bad rolls not that bad.

Both types of games eventually break down into probabilities, but I think BB is about tactical sense over calculating odds in your head.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

dhamster posted:

I used to play this quite a bit back in the Dark Elves/Legendary editions but I never once ventured out of single player. I picked up Chaos Edition today when it was on sale and rolled an Orc team for online play, got matchmade against three Skaven teams in a row. Won against the first two after sniffing out their run plays, bashing in heads and establishing an iron curtain around my ball carrier, which drew a disconnect and a forfeit respectively. The third player was a lot better than the other two and carefully set up custom formations, doing stuff like forming a long line in the backfield to stall the advance of my cage. I managed to score on him but he won 2-1: the first was a pass/run combo that raced past half the field, the second was pretty much a gimme (I had a chance at a touchdown which required two GFI rolls, I failed the first and the reroll which injured my player and caused the ball to be spotted into a group of Skavens upfield of the cage I had been using up to this point)

Anyway is there anywhere I can look up stuff like cage tactics or the logic behind custom formations? I have enough basic knowledge of the game to hold my own against bad players but I feel like I'll be totally outmatched against people using advanced tactics like the last guy I played.

Sounds like what you really need to know about is the 2-1 grind. That alone will win more games for you than any amount of cute tactical tricks. Also, teams like the skaven and elfs will score on you. Just let it happen, and concentrate on bashing in some skulls in instead. They'll have trouble scoring in the second half when half of their team is missing.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 8, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's okay to call him a dick and rq right?

Quitting? Sure, if you think there's nothing left for your team to gain. Why would you call him a dick, though? He got a superior position and is exploiting it, as he should. These kind of mismatches happen from time to time, and you roll with them. That's Blood Bowl.

In general, unless your team is decimated down to just a couple of players, you might as well play it out. You might get at least some SPP on your guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

:eyepop:

• Locked thread