Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Jack Trades posted:

I really like punching opponents in the face as hard as I can but I also enjoy being able to pick up the ball.

Is Chaos the only non-gimmick team that would fit my style or should I try playing some other team (I have CE)?
The problem is that the game is balanced between punching and ball handling. So if you want a team that is skewed towards bash but still in the middle of the spectrum try Orcs, Norse, Amazon, Undead or the new CE team Chaos Dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Huh. Pubs love complaining that the dice are unfair but I've never seen somebody claim cheating

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I don't know the exact details but in earlier versions of the game the dice were actually predictable. Somebody correct me if I wrong but before the game started it would generate a huge list of dice rolls meaning you could find and use this list to know what dice were upcoming and use that to your advantage.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

apostateCourier posted:

What's the etiquette for the IRC channel? Meaning more specifically, is it kosher for me to just pipe up and ask generally for a match, so long as I post team name, race, and team value?

We're pretty chill in the IRC, most of the time we're not even talking about blood bowl. If you wanna come play you can wander in and ask for a match, all you really need to tell us is what team value your team is. Name doesn't matter and race isn't a huge deal typically

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm pretty sure it's just "As you play bigger tourneys, opponent TV gets bigger" but so does yours so there's nothing resembling an endboss team or a BB Superbowl

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you ever go look at the sound files for this game, there's so many that I know I've never heard. It's just weird that they have like 1200 commentary files but you only hear the same 20 over and over. A lot of them are situational but I guess the lack of variety just speaks to Cyanide quality

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Did you hear about the Evil Gits? The team that is made up of a mix of evil players?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

No Grid. Action Camera. Ow my head hurts

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Not trying to be a douche here but, is that really a problem? Serious question.

Nah I was just kidding. It did a fine job showing off the basics of the game, or at least the parts that I stuck around to watch. I mean i know how to play the game so I'm not gonna bother watching a whole game for a tutorial

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you want to learn how to play blood bowl I would not recommend playing Blitz Mode

If you know how to play blood bowl I would not recommend playing Blitz Mode

I would not recommend playing Blitz Mode

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

In Cup you split up into divisions and play every other team in your division. Then, the top X teams make it to the championship playoffs.

Which is actually a good segue into the post I was going to make, which is that I've started another Random Skill League for CE/LE players. If you've never played an RSL before, the basic idea is that you randomly roll a die to determine which team you'll play as, we play a Cup style league, and for every level up you roll, you roll random die to determine which skill to take. If you can fit a game per week into your schedule, and the idea of rolling a Hail Mary Pass Kroxigor interests you, you should come join.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Duderclese posted:

I am so incredibly interested in this. How do I become a part of it?

I put the link in my post up there but here it is again
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530329

Go read the thread then roll and make a team, you've got a whole week to get registered

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Welcome to cyanide bloodbowl, enjoy your stay

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

uPen posted:

You say that like snotlings are bad. It's been proven that the best ogre team is one that consists of 16 snotlings, snotlings own.

Counterpoint: grandfathered LRB4 all-Ogre squads

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Zombie #246 posted:

So, I'm trying to set up a League for some of my friends, with a seasonal play to it; I don't really understand the League styles other than Open League in the options. I've been looking online for some descriptions, but I can't find anything useful.

Is there a difference? Or is it just a cosmetic name change? Does it change the face-off brackets at all? :psyduck:

What kind of league do you want? If you just want a place where you and your friends can play pickup matches you'd want Open League. If you want a true league structure with seasons and playoffs and a championship you want Cup. In cup, every team plays every other team once and then the top X teams play in a playoff to determine the winner.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Taking bets that all 6 months of development so far went towards creating that BB2 logo

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bloodletters are GAS normals and are a close second to the thirster as the best positional on the team. Heralds are basically a straight upgrade to pit fighters. Like Chaos, Khorne really pick up around 1500ish TV.

E- The oddity of Khorne is that they're a bash team who benefit from a spread out pitch and are not as successful at close quarters punching. They're a way better team than what I was expecting when they were announced

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 27, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

You mean the unit that has natural GAS access meaning any skill they pick up is going to be 20k is bloat in a format where you can conceivably play forever and pick up a huge glut of skills? Oh and also letters are the only Khorne unit that doesn't have frenzy which is a godsend if you really can't afford to punch a second time.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Oh you were talking specifically about taking SB + tackle. I thought you were calling letters themselves bloaty. Don't mind me

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I don't think I've ever taken +AV

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

deathbagel posted:

I'm in a different mind here. Sure it "only" improves your overall chance by 8.3%, but it halves the chance from the previous value which makes you twice as difficult (100% improvement) to get an injury roll on as you were previously. Going from AV 7 to 8 is a 14% inprovement overall but really it is only a 66% improvement over the previous value. Anytime I can keep a Khemri mummy from having to roll two injury rolls and take the worst one I will take it.

However programists just have forgotten, that mathematics probability isn't precise mathematics section, they have forgotten, that it's only a CHANCE, not sure after many repeats It's mean, that if you want get 100 times 1 or any other result on the dice one after second, then you might even roll 1000 000 000 000 000 000... times and you will not get it, because it's just imposible. Obviously mathematics probability says, that there is almost 100%, that you will get 100 times 1 or 6. Ridiculous, obviously this time opponent even don't needed pilling on my players.

(your argument makes no sense)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

LibbyM posted:

Edit: Cyanide just put me in a 40 second timer match on a team that, like all my teams, is set to never go in 40 second timer matches.
And making rushed decisions I naturally get the only player I care about on my team killed.

Cyanide really really likes to reset your turn counter preferences. So my advice is to always make sure after each match/matchmaking session that you reset to 4 minutes. Or just play goons in GGL

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

For the most part, yeah you want to stand your guys up first, avoid rolling dice when you can do safe moves. The main reasons are pretty much that you don't want to get surfed, or if you have plans for that player. For example, an elf laying on the pitch could just chill out until you spring the ball free, then he could get up, dodge away, and scoop up the ball. If you're playing a bashier team then for the most part you'll want to stand your guys up asap, but there are the occasional times where you need the guy on the ground for a later point in your turn

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The only things that would keep me from firing an AG4 ghoul with -MA -AV.

1. Does he have block?
2. What other skills does he have, and how close is he to leveling.

If he's just AG4 with no other skills I'd just fire him and save the headache of having him always be hurt/MNG

fake edit- -MA is what really sours me to that ghoul fwiw

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Necros are such a fun team because of the versatility of their positionals. Werewolves are going to be the star players on your team. They're fast as hell and they can hit hard, given they get block, tackle, Mighty Blow on doubles or whatever. But being super fast and having AG3 means can handle the ball as well as ghouls or wights but they're still much better off punching. If you want to do some serious punching you'll need to either run them together to provide assists to get good 2db blocks in or have some ghouls and wights run with them to supply assists, because odds are the player you're punching is going to be ST3 or higher. Claw is great for taking out high AV guys that your enemy is relying on to stay alive, and frenzy is an amazing tool provided you can leverage it properly.. Ghouls are good utility players and decent ballhandlers, but the fact that they don't get regenerate means they're way more likely to die, so don't be afraid to throw one away and start fresh if need be. Wights are very solid, very fast players that fall somewhere between flesh golems and wights. They can carry the ball too but they get Strength access on singles so you can make them into good murderers/blockers if you're so inclined. Flesh Golems are sturdy and hard to level, but if you can get a doubles skill up you can make an ST4 Blodge Stand Firm player, throw Guard on that guy and he's going to be a huge pain in the neck for bashy teams. Zombies/Skeletons are just dudes, eh whatever.

Super pro tip, Stand Firm works both when you get punched, and when somebody gets pushed into you. So, if you want to punch a big guy with high STR, set up the 2db in such a way that you can chainpush the guy into your Stand Firm Flolem. You can then trigger Stand Firm so the guy doesn't move and you can do the second Frenzy block in the same square as the first one (I hope this makes sense)

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 19, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Wait a second. DeathSandwich, that name sound familiar.........

(20:10:48)<DeathSandwich>Goddamnit, my first game in the pubbie league was a ultra tryhard khorne team that kicked my rear end

This was from #tgbloodbowl, your opponent was a goon

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Leperflesh posted:

I prefer to start Khorne with:
4 bloodletter daemons (you need these non-frenzy players and you want them to get skills)
7 Pit fighters (you need skills on your pit fighters to turn them from liabilities into assets)
3 Rerolls (you need rerolls for failed frenzies)
1 Apothecary (to keep your bloodletters alive)

That's 1000tv and all your money exactly. Now, it's true the bloodthirster is your key player, and it can hurt taking a few games without him. But if you take a thirster you have to compromise somewhere else, and that probably means the apoth and the rerolls. I think you'll win more games, and keep your important players alive, by waiting until you have the cash for the thirster... which is probably 4 games or so, depending on whether you have to replace a dead bloodletter (don't replace dead pit fighters right away, you can just stick a loner journeyman pit fighter on the LOS and let him take punches).

If I were playing Khorne in a tourney I would probably take this start. I love the Thirster but he's so good as is and all he really needs is MB (and maybe PO). Letters need skills for the team to thrive

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

cmndstab posted:

Is it common for people to just up and leave the instant things don't go their way? Seems kind of petty.
Welcome to Auld World, enjoy your stay

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mejwell posted:

Bringing this up again because we're closing out the final week and it's very possible multiple teams will have tied the season point value for the last playoff spot. Does anyone know how it'll decide who gets in and who goes home? Posting the question on the official forums got the responses of "it's a specific rule setting," which going through all the rules for the current league and even creating a new fake league to run through the settings again didn't turn up, "it's done by point differential," which seems unlikely, as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to CHECK a team's point differential (which you would think there would be, if it were a crucial stat (although this IS Cyanide)) and "it's done by team value," which is a lovely way to break the tie.

Anyone have any concrete knowledge?

Yeah I think I figured it all out, here's My Big Bad Guide On Cyanide Playoffs: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Seeding Manager

If you want to tag a team in or out, you can do that using the Cyanide Seeding Manager, it's only an option once you advance the week into the playoff league. It'll be an option on the matchups page. There's two boxes, set one to "Playoff Teams" and the other to whatever it's called ("Non-playoff Teams"?). Either way you can pretty easily tag people in or out.

Either way, even if you got everybody in, Cyanide will randomly gently caress up your playoff brackets. It'll ignore seeds and divisions and just randomly throw people in. If you wanna organize people in the right order, do the following. Basically, you need to swap players within the "Playoff Teams" group until they properly match up. Here's some screenshots from the playoff I ran, compared to the bracket I had. You literally have to go back and forth between swapping people in the seeding manager and look at the matchup table to make sure you're getting everything in the right place

If you don't set it up this way, the whole thing falls apart. Useful if you had seeds set up, since Cyanide is a big pile of poo poo.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Joshlemagne posted:

So I'm sure this has been asked before but is there any way to just straight up delete a particular pitch? Literally 95% of my games have been on the goddamn snow pitch and I am sick to death of it. It's especially bad because you can't see any of the graphical effects. I have to look at the dice log to see if a guy is stunned or ko'ed or whatever. I just want to have games not on that pitch ever again. cKnoor has mentioned in his videos he has a script or something to randomize the pitches so there should be something to just get rid of one entirely.

I don't know of a mod that exists but because its cyanide you could probably just gently caress with the source files

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

As somebody with a team named "gently caress poo poo Stack" I can assure you badwords.txt can be erased.

Also you can replace all the .ogg files used for commentary, as long as they have retain their appropriate filename. You could replace all of Bob and Jim's comments with farting noises if you were so inclined.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

MRLOLAST posted:

Is chaos edition any good?
I played the legendary edition vs the computer but missed the community feel I got from Fumbbl so that's where I get my BB fix now days.

Chaos Edition is a glorified DLC. You get 3 new teams (Chaos Dwarves, Underworld, and Khorne), and like a new stadium or something. There's full compatibility between the two so you can keep playing Legendary VS Chaos Edition players.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

siggy2021 posted:

Do you guys have a list of skills that are recommended to be turned off auto-use? I keep on loving up and missing things.

I've been playing mostly match making on Nag, but that is getting more and more terrible every game, so I joined up on some leagues. Hopefully structured play will be better and make me not a terrible player (it won't). I'm just worried about being a fool and not turning important skills off.

Pretty much the only essential skill you need to set to "Always Ask" is Piling On. I think the only skills i have set to ask are Piling On, Wrestle, Fend, Sidestep and Stand Firm.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ChaoticGood posted:

That 11th player glitch is really stupid, you'd think a playtester would notice that (if they used any...). I think you don't get it if you set the players by hand every time and don't use the presets. At least I didn't get it after that.

Cyanide has known about this glitch for literal years but have not fixed it

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Resurrecting this thread to let you all know that Random Skill League 4 is starting up again. Come get mad at dice with us!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568436

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I took my thoughts on getting started with Blood Bowl and put them into a flowchart. Feel free to analyze the poo poo out of it.

The general idea is that you want to start with humans until you get a good feel for them, then start working your way down. It's not perfect, but it basically represents what I think is the best way to introduce yourself to a given team. By no means am I saying "You must play elves and high elves before you can play delves", go ahead a skip some teams if you don't want to play them, but if you're trying out elfs for the first time it couldn't hurt.

e- replace the bottom right "Orc" with "Halflings"

Oh I forgot Skaven, put them on their own path connected to "Elf" with "Insane Speed, High Specialization"

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 10, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

cKnoor posted:

Personally I would reorganize the elf tier like this

code:
High elf --more speed + staying away --> wood elf -- more passing -> Pro Elf
       \---- more bash -> Dark Elf

The tree is a cool idea, but it also seems like on of those things that could get reorder forever and ever and ever.

(I initially had helf leading to elf leading to delf and welf but I decided to change it)
Yeah, I was by no means trying to write the book on team selection in blood bowl. The "What Team Should New/Inexperienced Players Play" question comes up a lot and I just wanted to approach it from a way that would be interesting.

I'd actually be interested to see what somebody else's take on this would be, though

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ZeroCount posted:

I bought this game a week or so ago with no prior experience with the game beyond reading part of the Let's Play. It's been pretty fun so far, albeit frustrating. What's the best skill to get for a multiplayer Ogre team when they level up? I've put Guard on the one I drop into the scrim and Block on the one who rolled doubles but a third is close to getting level 2 and I'm wondering if I've been making mistakes with my first two.
Should I be getting Break Tackle or something instead?

I'm going to get this out of the way and say that since you're new to the game, maybe you should try playing more forgiving team (IE one that doesn't need half its players to roll 2+ every turn to function).

Having said that, for ogres you're pretty safe getting a nice spread of skills for all your players. Keep in mind your ogres are going to be doing all the punching, and they're ST5. For the most part, they aren't going to need much assisting, so while Guard is a good skill to have on maybe 2-3 of them (to start, if you really keep playing and get up there in TV you should have more Guard guys), I'd also pick up one or two with Grab to pull guys around, or break tackle like you pointed out. Piling On is also a good option to maximize your killing potential, but it would also leave your ogre vulnerable to fouling in some situations. On doubles, block is bar-none your best choice. Other options are frenzy for extreme killing (which would combo well with guard and stand firm) or dodge (which would combo with Break Tackle and guard for getting in the way).

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Kick first and 2-1 grind them to a pulp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Counter-Counterpoint: If you try to run 0TTD skaven in a format that is not tourney or matchmaking nobody will want to play against you because the game will be boring as poo poo. Also it will be boring as poo poo for you, the player, because it forces the other person to counter your 0TTD with the 2-1 grind, turtling strategy.

Real men throw goblins for their 0TTD's

• Locked thread