Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Welp, guess balance is out of the equation then. :v:

BloodBowl is one of the more well balanced games out there.

Elf and other week teams are going to take more death and damage, it's unavoidable, but will win more than their fair share of games. There are tricks to playing a high AG team, which include trying to make sure none of your players are in contact with standing opponents at the end of your turn, giving your opponent one blitz each turn. That's the big one for keeping your players alive, and stifling a bashing team's offence, too, as they get to move one space before hitting your line of elves.

There are some teams that are deliberately week, Halflings being the best example, but those are there for laughs. The elf teams are seriously powerful if you play them correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Does this thing ever go on sale?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Random Hajile posted:

At least every big holiday.

Ok, thanks. Pretty eager to get it, but my wife's grumbling about the money I spend on stupid games.

Maybe it will come down at Easter, then.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

jivjov posted:

If you want Chaos Edition for $10, add me on Steam. I can get you my "Owns other Blood Bowl game" discount. Steam link is http://steamcommunity.com/id/jivjov

Thanks I'll do that. I've friend requested you, I am Funso

Indolent Bastard posted:

phoenij is requesting your friendship on steam (it's me :ssh:).

Oh, hey, are you stealing his offer to me, or just someone wanting to be his friendly friend?

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 24, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The early rules, with the yellow star players book, and the red book in particular, were the best.

There was an actual referee, who moved around the pitch, and you could knock him over, and do whatever the hell you wanted while he was down. Your player would be sent off once the ref stood back up, unless he died, but you could have a lot of fun with the rules, such as touchdowns not counting while he was down, etc. You could argue calls, too.

The red book also had official rules for using downs and punting. No-one used the downs rule, but plenty of us included the punting rules, kickers were seriously OP for a couple of years.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Nothing in the releases so far suggests this is the very, very good BloodBowl Team Manager game which FFG makes.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

I started a tabletop league of Blood Bowl at my FNGS, and despite the inherent flaky nature of gamers, it's going fairly well. I'm currently leading the table with my Halfling team, which has prompted some owners to remark that "It's really not worth winning" and raising your team value.

While I know how WRONG that statement is, with our league's small sample size and many lurkers, it appears to be true; in part because I've played 100's of games to everyone else's 10 or less.

With this in mind, a couple of questions for people who might have tried the in-person route before:

a) How do you keep people interested in what can be a very unforgiving game? (i.e. My Halflings were essentially the last straw to a neophyte Lizardman squad who lost a Skink and Saurus against us. I told him to start over, keeping his 0-3 record. but his enthusiasm has dimmed)

b) What kind of in-game prizes should you reward to people who stuck it out, and played the season/playoffs? I'm thinking cash for their treasuries, but I could also run things Chaos Cup style, and give out mutations...

Helmets with +1 av, some boots with sprint built into them, (rather than free skills/mkutations) that sort of thing work really well as prizes. If they have the actual boardgame, then nicely printed and laminated endzone strips are awesome, and we gave one player a new board hand-painted with paint and sand, very nice.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 6, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

If there is any interest in Blood Bowl left for people, it is currently 4 pounds in the UK on steam, which I imagine means it is about $6-$7.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So I take it the iPad version can play games with guys on the PC version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

JT Jag posted:

The thought of this alternate form of Blood Bowl bounced back in my head, and I see no one posted here since we last discussed it, so I guess I'll bump the thread too. Leperflesh mentioned getting rid of the center-of-field LOS but after thinking about it a bit I'm thinking that you'd keep the normal LOS for the kickoff and then reset the LOS where the kickoff return ends. It might give people some incentive to give players skills that no one ever uses now, like kickoff return, because getting field position would be so important.

LOS would be reset after you fail to score and have to punt, too. The opponent would have the opportunity to punt return before the LOS reset.

It would only be reset after special teams plays like that though, not after normal turnovers or whatever. And if you turn the ball over on downs it doesn't get reset, the ball just is directly given to whoever the player on defense wants.

Sounds like the old system in the Bloodbowl Companion book (which was released a little while after the yellow Star Player book, in 1990).

Was very interesting. Four downs, with the LOS resetting to where you were tackled last, and the LOS after a kick off exactly how you describe it. Punting was a thing.

Those official books were excellent. Actual referees that moved around randomly and that you could block so they didn't see illegal plays, but they would immediately send off the blocking player once they stand up. I had to check BoardGameGeek to see that the book really existed, because even though I remember it, no-one I know remembers it. It existed, and for a couple years those rules aping actual NFL football were the way everyone played.

• Locked thread