Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009

Stardotstar posted:

We bought the Legacy in Arizona, where 250hp was useful on a daily basis. However, after moving to Portland, about 200 of those ponies went woefully underused. This was definitely the better car to take up to Mt Hood Meadows for snow days. With studless snow tires it was the most planted, confident car I've ever driven in inclement weather. Its highway gas mileage (~24-26 mpg average) was mediocre, but obviously far better than an SUV or somesuch.

On the other hand, the handling balance of the BMW is far better, and has been utterly worry-free from a maintenance perspective -- no headgaskets or clogged oil strainers to worry about. ~170 hp is enough to get out of its own way and returns 29mpg highway, and snow tires and traction control mean it's plenty capable in the snow as well. The fact that the BMW cost less than 1/3 of the Legacy while retaining all the creature comforts (heated leather, good stereo, xenons, etc) and utility means that for us, it was a huge bargain and has been just plain better to own.

You must be the only person to sell a Subaru upon moving to Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

hedge posted:

But I found out that in Europe, you can have it as a station wagon too.

Considering the hatch, but if they offered the wagon in the US I would've signed Ford a check in about 10 seconds. Five seconds if they offer it in that ridiculous Tangerine color.

Sadly the Focus wagon didn't do very well in the US (I think the last year was 2006) so we'll probably never see one here again, much less in ST trim.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

TheClarkster posted:

How is the manual in that thing? I jumped ship from stickshift thanks to my commute, and the autostick is alright until it breaks. Then it is just expensive. Same goes with the fancy adjustable suspension; now that the front struts are busted, I'm considering sticking the standard and far less expensive replacements in and foregoing the adjustability.

I love this car.

The M66 is fairly solid, I haven't had any major issues after 60k miles. I've had the shifter cables replaced under recall but that's about it. Eventually the slave cylinder will fail and eventually it'll need a new clutch, but I'm careful with my shifting and it's an expected repair.

The nice struts are integrated into the suspension and stability control system, you can swap out for standard cheapies but expect the dash to light up with error messages. The cheapest I've seen so far is from Tasca for around $320 shipped, but sometimes you can find deals on ebay or the classifieds on swedespeed. An enterprising poster on the R forums swapped for normal struts and wired a resistor into the 4C control line, tricking the computer into thinking it was still an OEM strut. Of course, no adjustable 4C settings anymore, but he saved himself a pile of money because (I think) he needed something like 3 of the 4 struts replaced. So far I'm at 112k and all 4 of mine are fine, no leaks.

The good news is that replacing the rear struts is actually pretty easy DIY (just rent a spring compressor) and the fronts are fairly easy, saving yourself a few hours of shop labor.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

In retrospect I have had 3 5-door hatch/wagons.

Shitbox #1 - 1986 Nissan Sentra 5-door wagon:

The price: $800. It was an atrocious car that I was extremely lucky to only have briefly while in college. 3-speed automatic with well under 80 crank HP made it a literal danger to drive on Colorado freeways. The last time I drove it, my now-wife threw up in it on the way to class. It was replaced by what was at the time a fantastic upgrade, a 1988 Acura Legend base coupe with the 160hp 2.7l V6 and a 5-speed.

Fast forward 7 years or so: Shitbox #2 - 1991 Honda Civic wagovan:

The price: free. My father-in-law owned and drove this car since it was new, and was about to get rid of it by donating it when I spoke up that I would gladly take it.

FIL was meticulous about maintenance and receipts, and I inherited a 3-inch thick manila folder with the car that included the window sticker and an invoice on the date of the first Gulf War invasion from a Toledo dealership. 5-speed made it slightly less awful to drive.

I drove it for 7 months during the height of gas prices in 2008, and replaced it because I acquired the following car. Sold the Civic for $2500 to a guy that was more excited than I can tell you to buy it, btw.

(not) Shitbox #3 - 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3

Bought it new off the lot and it was badass. I loved this thing and would be driving it still today if not for having spun a crank bearing at 14,000 miles and 364 days into ownership. Mazda took it for over a month - no short blocks in the US, so one had to be sourced from Japan - and when I got it back it was as if it had never happened but my confidence was shaken. Ended up trading it to a Pontiac dealer for more than it was worth at private party for my G8 GXP, which I still have.

Yet even now the call of the wagon haunts me. What might be next?

Definitely under consideration...

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 17, 2012

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

How could I forget, I briefly owned this glorious bit of 80s/90s Subaru magic:

Blew both headgaskets a few months in, went gently caress it and kept driving it for a few months longer. So much milkshake in the radiator.

One of these was my first car. It even had the factory turbo and a manual transmission. $500, smelled like dog. Just like yours, mine blew a head gasket a couple months after I bought it.

I loving loved it...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tremek posted:

Fast forward 7 years or so: Shitbox #2 - 1991 Honda Civic wagovan:

The price: free. My father-in-law owned and drove this car since it was new, and was about to get rid of it by donating it when I spoke up that I would gladly take it.

FIL was meticulous about maintenance and receipts, and I inherited a 3-inch thick manila folder with the car that included the window sticker and an invoice on the date of the first Gulf War invasion from a Toledo dealership. 5-speed made it slightly less awful to drive.

I drove it for 7 months during the height of gas prices in 2008, and replaced it because I acquired the following car. Sold the Civic for $2500 to a guy that was more excited than I can tell you to buy it, btw.

Next project car of mine is going to be a 4WD one of these. I'm excited about a shitbox.

quote:

My feelings towards the CTS-V wagon: :aaa::fh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Next project car of mine is going to be a 4WD one of these. I'm excited about a shitbox.
I really wonder how much the CR-V shares with them.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Phone posted:

My feelings towards the CTS-V wagon: :aaa::fh:

Right on re: Civic RT4WD. I looked for one for a while to use as a winter beater - you can also bolt up some variety of a B-series motor and make something like 160 crank hp NA easily, or like ~220hp w/ FI before the funky 6-speed manual tranny starts becoming a problem.

6 second 20 year old AWD shitbox? Why the gently caress not. :)

re: -V wagons, now I go looking and '11s are all of $50k... Goddamnit... Now to explain to my wife that the cost between a Procharger on the G8 and a -V wagon is essentially the same...

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Plastic wagons are the best wagons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tremek posted:

Right on re: Civic RT4WD. I looked for one for a while to use as a winter beater - you can also bolt up some variety of a B-series motor and make something like 160 crank hp NA easily, or like ~220hp w/ FI before the funky 6-speed manual tranny starts becoming a problem.

6 second 20 year old AWD shitbox? Why the gently caress not. :)

That's the plan. Find a D16Z6 and a baby turbo.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Not really a big wagon fan, to be honest, but this gets my pulse racing:

I don't care what anyone says, I love the E60 M5, faults and all. This just makes it better. Too bad they never came to North America.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best wagon.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:getin:

So loving hot.

Tremek posted:

Yup. I don't know if I can continue to resist.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

WS6 97 posted:

The best wagon.

:stare: <- literally my face. Any more info on that?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

WS6 97 posted:

The best wagon.

I'm pretty sure that's a photoshop, but I want to believe it's not.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

WS6 97 posted:

The best wagon.

a search for "continental wagon" on gis turns only that one up, the rest are Bentleys

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

DropShadow posted:

I think it's a photoshop. The reflection in the side windows isn't quite right, and the rearmost side window looks 'stuck on' and doesn't align properly with the roof. The wagon roof extension is also a mismatched colour from the rest of the car. Oh and you can't see through the rear windows, and see the car next to it.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 19, 2012

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Are those W123s hard to work on? They are very reasonably priced. I've been looking at new projects, mainly e30 BMWs, but these look rad too.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

I think that in a couple years, when I feel like moving forward, I'll be very happy. Wagons and hatches are coming back into vogue lately, especially hotter editions.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Mercedes did a thing:

More here. Favorite part: "There's even an optional towing kit."

Oh, and there's no plans to bring it to North America.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DropShadow posted:

Looks a little like this photoshop:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I want to have my cake and eat it too. 30mpg, wagon, 400hp, AWD/RWD and a manual transmission. Is my best bet just getting a 2.0/2.5 turbo WRX wagon and throwing a huge turbo on there and tuning it and hoping to get close to 30mpg? I can't think of anything else that could come close to all those criteria.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DreamOn13 posted:

I want to have my cake and eat it too. 30mpg, wagon, 400hp, AWD/RWD and a manual transmission. Is my best bet just getting a 2.0/2.5 turbo WRX wagon and throwing a huge turbo on there and tuning it and hoping to get close to 30mpg? I can't think of anything else that could come close to all those criteria.

Why do you need 30mpg so bad?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't. But it'd be nice of course.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
lol 30mpg on a subaru

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DreamOn13 posted:

You're basically describing a CTS or CTS-V in everything except mileage. Either that or an S4/S6 wagon.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 4, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Does anything with 400hp get an EPA 30mpg, even HWY (under current method)?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
My 00R

kmcormick9 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 5, 2012

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Worked over 335d? Did you get them as a touring in the states?

Edit: Auto only I think, drat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
BMW have gone weird with their engine availability anyway. At one time, it was pretty much a case of "pick engine size, pick bodystyle", now they're really constraining which engines you can get in which cars. Ok, they have more engine options now, but why can you buy a 335d coupe, but not a saloon, convertible or Touring? 335i, sure, that opens up the saloon and convertible, but still not the Touring. Even the spec requirements are different. 335i SE coupe or convertible? No problem. 335i saloon? Got to be M Sport or Luxury. SE stops at 328i. You want an ES-spec saloon? I hope you want a 316d, you loving poor. Want a Luxury-spec coupe? NO.

It's not like they have to do anything particularly special to fit a 3-series engine in a 3-series. I appreciate combinations outside the high runners will incur more faffing around, but they're making a mistake to simply not offer them. If Audi can build and sell an RS4 Avant, they can build and sell a 335i or M3 Touring. Hell, a 335i Touring would undercut the Audi by nearly 15k and, based on the coupe time, be comparably quick. I could live with 5.5 seconds to sixty instead of 4.7 with that amount of extra cash staying in my pocket, that's for sure.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

BMW have gone weird with their engine availability anyway. At one time, it was pretty much a case of "pick engine size, pick bodystyle", now they're really constraining which engines you can get in which cars. Ok, they have more engine options now, but why can you buy a 335d coupe, but not a saloon, convertible or Touring? 335i, sure, that opens up the saloon and convertible, but still not the Touring. Even the spec requirements are different. 335i SE coupe or convertible? No problem. 335i saloon? Got to be M Sport or Luxury. SE stops at 328i. You want an ES-spec saloon? I hope you want a 316d, you loving poor. Want a Luxury-spec coupe? NO.

It's not like they have to do anything particularly special to fit a 3-series engine in a 3-series. I appreciate combinations outside the high runners will incur more faffing around, but they're making a mistake to simply not offer them. If Audi can build and sell an RS4 Avant, they can build and sell a 335i or M3 Touring. Hell, a 335i Touring would undercut the Audi by nearly 15k and, based on the coupe time, be comparably quick. I could live with 5.5 seconds to sixty instead of 4.7 with that amount of extra cash staying in my pocket, that's for sure.

Probably it's to reduce the number of model codes to simplify assembly and stocking for factories and dealers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You'll note that Audi doesn't sell the RS4 Avant anymore, either. It just doesn't make much sense.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

stump posted:

Worked over 335d? Did you get them as a touring in the states?

Edit: Auto only I think, drat.

Nope. And yeah, auto only, unfortunately. I've got a 2011 335D MSport, highway mileage is insane for something as quick as it is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

If there is it'd have to be something that shuts down half of its cylinders under low demand situations or a turbocharged engine tuned to punch above its weight class but deliver decent economy (like Ford Ecoboost.)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Panamera S Hybrid gets 30mpg with 333hp, which is the closest you are going to get. Counterpoint: Anyone who owns a car called "Panamera S Hybrid" should probably kill themselves.

Mustang and Camaro V8 both get 26mpg highway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll note that Audi doesn't sell the RS4 Avant anymore, either. It just doesn't make much sense.
:britain:, remember. Still listed on their website.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was no RS4 Avant for the B8 generation (2009-2012), but there is a "B8.5" 2013 RS4 Avant.

It's glorious and all, but putting in the old 4.2l V8 was an odd decision when the new S6, S7 & S8 are getting the amazing new 4.0TT engine. The new S8 with the 4.0TT is faster than an R8.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Geoj posted:

If there is it'd have to be something that shuts down half of its cylinders under low demand situations or a turbocharged engine tuned to punch above its weight class but deliver decent economy (like Ford Ecoboost.)

The ecoboost in the Taurus SHO gets worse highway fuel economy than the V8 in the Mustang, but that's likely due to AWD losses vs. a live rear axle, which is actually pretty efficient.

I think we're a decent ways from 400hp and 30+ highway mpg, but that's just because I doubt that manufacturers making 400hp engines want to do the things required to get fuel economy like that. If you put gas-saver rock hard tires and 2.73 gears on a current Mustang GT I'd bet you could break 30 on the highway pretty easily.

A CTS-V wagon could probably also break 30 with a gear swap and fuel-economy focused tires, but I really doubt anybody is doing that.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2012

• Locked thread