Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

There is a trailer now!

Derp. Missed the post where it was linked earlier.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Welp, time to hop over to the new thread! :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't read anything in this thread yet, but I finally got my hands on VLR. So far, I've had two game overs. I'm currently working along a path that was temporarily locked Alice had died and Clover was threatening to kill everyone until Sigma explained that Alice commit suicide.

Don't confirm any of these thoughts, but here's where my mind is -

Oh gently caress. Is Tenmyouji actually Junpei? I just saw the photo he was holding and it was Akane?

Was the old lady that was dead actually Akane?!

Who the gently caress is K? Still know so loving little about that dude.

I have a feeling that a LOT of time has passed since when Sigma was kidnapped. Like 50+ years.

gently caress Dio.

There sure is a whole lot of "Here, let me explain what I know about what's going on-OH WAIT WE DONT HAVE TIME."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

edit: wrong thread :(

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 4, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress Dio.

Please do not insult my good friend Dio.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't read anything in this thread yet, but I finally got my hands on VLR.

This should be good. :allears:

Have a nice Tragedy!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I posted this early in the 3DS thread -

I'm about 1/3 through VLR and while I'm enjoying It, I feel that constantly jumping between story branches is actually reducing my enjoyment because when I come back to a branch, I end up forgetting what got me there.

Currently I have everything in the middle branch complete except for the lock on the branch where Sigma is injected with the muscle relaxant for dropping below 0

All I know about endings is that the true is down the 3rd branch, so I'm starting on the first branch now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Don't worry about that, you have to do literally everything in the game, so do whatever

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Don't worry about that, you have to do literally everything in the game, so do whatever

It's more that just when hopping back into the middle of a branch, I have to remind myself why people's attitudes are they way they are and what choices got us to that point and there are so many paths that I often forget as it all blends together.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You could always hop in earlier in a branch to refresh yourself

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oh gently caress. Oh gently caress. Oh gently caress.

I'm on the Dio ending path atm and Phi said Dont tell me you forgot... Wait... Maybe not... He must not have made this jump....

gently caress gently caress gently caress.

I'm at about 10 hours played so far and too be quite honest, the game still hasn't really grabbed me in the way 999 did. I think that just changed.

So far, I have the Clover ending and the Temyouji ending.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Seeing this post after your earlier one makes that whole thing kind of magical :allears:

But yeah, VLR takes a while to get going, but I really love what they did when it goes into the actual plot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also, I do find this one aspect frustrating -

[

Mordiceius posted:

I really don't like how all the endings in Virtue's Last Reward just kind of... peter out. Like, I feel like there's no solid end them. They sort of fade out without any rhyme or reason..

Mordiceius posted:

It just makes me wonder, what happens to the other versions of me when I leave to make the jump. What's the rest of those stories? It just feels like a really awkward setup. Maybe I'm just nitpicky, but I would love to just have even one line of dialog in each ending where Sigma says something like "I don't think, I'll get anything more out of this. Better jump." or something less awkward. Just "Fade to black - GAME OVER" while we're all just standing around feels really lame.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So hey, hope this thread isn't too dead. I'm at the part where you need to solve the code in the developer's room with Phi after everything kind of goes completely to poo poo. Do I need to do other stuff to figure out the password, or, as I suspect, am I a big dumbdumb who's not picking up on the ingame hints?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If it's the part in thinking of, just come back to it later. You'll know when you've found the code

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Alright, I kind of suspected as much but it still feels weird since this is kind of feeling like the default path for a first playthrough.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Alright, I kind of suspected as much but it still feels weird since this is kind of feeling like the default path for a first playthrough.

Get used to jumping a lot between half finished plot threads.

You (should) know what you're looking for when you find it.

There are only 4 passwords in the game that don't get saved to your archives. They are only needed for the true ending, and you'll know what they are when you come across them because they make very clear HEY I AM ONLY GOING TO SAY THIS ONCE, YOU BETTER REMEMBER!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hey so I've bought Zero Escape in the spring sale. I played 999 years ago when it came out, but there's probably a lot about the story I've forgotten. I expect I'll be able to recall some of it, so will I be ok jumping right into Zero Escape, or do I need to replay 999 first? Also did they ever patch that saving in puzzle rooms bug?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

So hey, hope this thread isn't too dead. I'm at the part where you need to solve the code in the developer's room with Phi after everything kind of goes completely to poo poo. Do I need to do other stuff to figure out the password, or, as I suspect, am I a big dumbdumb who's not picking up on the ingame hints?

I really like how they let you try and enter the code even if you haven't "learnt" it yet and you can enter the right code if you remember it from a previous playthrough. Because you've already gone down that path!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Silver Snail posted:

Hey so I've bought Zero Escape in the spring sale. I played 999 years ago when it came out, but there's probably a lot about the story I've forgotten. I expect I'll be able to recall some of it, so will I be ok jumping right into Zero Escape, or do I need to replay 999 first? Also did they ever patch that saving in puzzle rooms bug?

They did not patch the puzzle room bug. Well they did and they didn't. The cartridge version was not patched. The digital download version is patched by not letting you save in puzzle rooms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VLR has callbacks and things that are better appreciated with knowing 999, but nothing about the plot requires perfect recollection of 999 to enjoy. I'd say if you can recall the basics of 999 and the characters, you'll be fine.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I need help understanding the treatment pod room's dice game with the time and board game puzzle. I already looked up the answer after maybe 2 hours of trying. Apparently I can't count squares or something.

Take the first time 7:15. What I've been doing is counting the starting letter T, as zero. So going counterclockwise from there I will end up at A. And from there if A is zero, going clockwise, I would end up at S. And that's wrong, and I don't know why? From looking up the answer, it seems whenever I go clockwise, I should have been counting that starting letter as one? Going counter-clockwise, I count the starting letter as 0 when counting, and going clockwise I count the starting letter as 1.
I'm salty because I did the right stuff, for both passwords, but being one square off threw me off, and I was even wondering if the password was a real or fake word. And then I started doing stupid poo poo like the difference in time between the 4 different times.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Okay, I just got to the part where Dio literally steals medicine from a dying child to coerce me into suicide Jesus Christ. I've done everything available on a first playthrough going left to this point. So I guess my question is, does Dio ever get kind of sort of likab-holy poo poo that's such a stupid question of course he won't.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dio is great because he is exactly what it says on the tin

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The tin?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's a ringmaster

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Last Celebration posted:

Okay, I just got to the part where Dio literally steals medicine from a dying child to coerce me into suicide Jesus Christ. I've done everything available on a first playthrough going left to this point. So I guess my question is, does Dio ever get kind of sort of likab-holy poo poo that's such a stupid question of course he won't.

Without spoiling anything too specific, I'll say this: the game knows you'll expect him to have some kind of redeeming quality or sympathetic motivation because why write a character who's just that much of an rear end in a top hat, and it fucks with that expectation at every possible turn.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I gave up on him having any sort of redeeming arcs or anything after he killed an old lady to get into the Nonary Game and he turned out to be an insane super solder from Fire Emblem. I'm just holding out for one likable moment at this point. Still, I was at least not expecting him to actually choose betray.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh, I guess this is relevant - a 999 Fanzine was released a while ago, and I bought it. It's just a bunch of nicely printed fanart, but it's still pretty nifty!

Cover

Early preorders came with a cute little (actually quite big) bookmark. Four-leaf clover on the front

Group illustration with a prism-effect on the back

Seven having some difficulties with the kids from the first game

Four innocuous dudes having a game of cards

F U N Y A R I N P A

You can still get a copy here if you want, though without the bookmark.

E: Oh shoot, didn't realize there was a new thread.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 20, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zero Time Dilemma comes out next month? OH MY GOD

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i learned something i didn't wanna know

fuckin' trophy list man

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

.....loving aluminum. Dammit, it was in the first set of rooms!

Almost done with this. I've stayed up too late already, though @_@ Luna needs to finish talking and then I can go disarm some bombs.

^ Reading the last several posts, uh, are we still spoiler tagging stuff for this? Whoops.

e2: Holy gently caress am I glad I didn't play this years ago and have to wait for ZTD. I guess this thread is dead, but I don't want to risk spoilers in the ZTD thread :v:

Telum fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 7, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Folks in the VLR LP wanted a way to find out what happens in the rest of that game after where it's stalled without getting ZTD spoilers as well, so I whipped this up. Pretty bare-bones on purpose, I think I hit the plot points.
:siren:HERE BE SPOILERS:siren:
http://pastebin.com/c7fbVA5L
:siren:THERE BE SPOILERS:siren:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Let's talk about VLR and how much we all love Luna

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Thanks Bruceski!

Also, :psyboom:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Thanks Bruceski!

Also, :psyboom:
A lot of it is explained during a couple of infodumps by Akane when you find her. Basically she's alive in one timeline (the right-most one - you don't find her body in that one).

There's also a bunch of hints towards the various twists. I forget if the LP is up ton that point yet but there's a moment where Sigma gets cut and starts leaking white fluid instead of blood, you think it's going to be a twist that you're a GOL-M, but it turns out that you just have cyborg arms (a clue that your character is not actually 22 years old).

Then Luna is revealed to be a GOL-M, one of the good endings involves you staying behind when Phi escapes with Quark. It ends with a lovely scene where you're sitting on a bench with her in B. Garden and I wasn't crying I just had something in my eye SHUT UP

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 28, 2016

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Yeah, she's the best and I needed an umbrella to keep the rain off of my face for that scene :v

Also, all we need to take the bracelets off was loving aluminum foil, which was in the Crew Quarters THE WHOLE TIME. :argh:

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So I ended up biting the bullet and going to the wiki anyway to get some more details. I only got broad strokes on the overall plot and endings though and didn't go to any of the character pages, so there are still a couple things that I don't really know or understand.

1: Is Alice's backstory relevant at all other than that she's a spy who knows about the Myrmidons? Whatever happened to her father?
2: Is Brother's identity ever revealed (in VLR)?
3: Does Junpei/Tenmyouji know that Akane was running/involved in the whole thing? And why would he think that Alice is "All-Ice" if he was in the car when they picked her up at the end of 999?
4: How did Sigma (and everyone else not frozen) survive so long if they had Radical-6? Has Sigma had radical-6 since the outbreak and it only now just now started to feel the effects 40+ years later? He can't be immune, because you see its effects in (at least) the Clover Ending and the scene in the security room.
5: Does Old Lady Akane have her younger consciousness like Sigma does? If so, how does she know what's going on while Sigma doesn't? And how did younger Sigma get wrapped up in all of this anyway?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So I ended up biting the bullet and going to the wiki anyway to get some more details, and there are still a couple things that I don't really know or understand.

1: Is Alice's backstory relevant at all other than that she's a spy who knows about the Myrmidons? Whatever happened to her father?
2: Is Brother's identity ever revealed (in VLR)?
3: Does Junpei/Tenmyouji know that Akane was running/involved in the whole thing? And why would he think that Alice is "All-Ice" if he was in the car when they picked her up at the end of 999?
4: How did Sigma (and everyone else not frozen) survive so long if they had Radical-6? Has Sigma had radical-6 since the outbreak and it only now just now started to feel the effects 40+ years later? He can't be immune, because you see its effects in (at least) the Clover Ending and the scene in the security room.
5: Does Old Lady Akane have her younger consciousness like Sigma does? If so, how does she know what's going on while Sigma doesn't? And how did younger Sigma get wrapped up in all of this anyway?

1. No
2. No
3. He finds out when everyone else does and gets pissed off at her. I don't remember what was going on with the All-ice thing but it was probably a red herring.
4. I think the bracelet injects them
5. No

e: Where did the LP stop?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1. No
2. No
3. No, dunno
4. I believe they weren't infected until the Nonary Game
5. Akane is the correct consciousness for this time period. As for how Sigma gets wrapped up in this, ZTD helps explain that a bit.

• Locked thread