Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amamake
Nov 10, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone figured out how to offer items to the Valkyries? Do you just destroy items?

Right click on the item in your inventory. The option should be there if item type is appropriate. I'm not sure what feeding them items does though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Amamake posted:

Right click on the item in your inventory. The option should be there if item type is appropriate. I'm not sure what feeding them items does though.

It boosts their passive and the out of combat buffs you can ask them to cast on you/your army, it seems the first time you offer an item to one, it immediately beefs them up, then it takes 3-4 more to make it go up another level.

Lamer
Jul 14, 2000
How long is this one supposed to be? $30 seems like a lot for another one of these, though I've liked them all so far.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Lamer posted:

How long is this one supposed to be? $30 seems like a lot for another one of these, though I've liked them all so far.

Apparently 60 hours if you go straight through the campaign. Even if it is 60 hours doing everything that is 6x the value you get out of a modern release big budget single player game.

Compared to the others it is the longest as well, but this is other peoples' accounts so who really knows.

edit: is anyone else getting overwhelmed by all the awesome games released this month? I actually cant stand it. I wish it was just one awesome game so I can play it and be satisfied

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Any word on how random the new KB is compared to the older ones? Something that has irritated me about these games is that despite the name King's Bounty, it's not actually all that much like King's Bounty. I want this game to be randomized, and instead of having a clear unit progression, I want early units to be more useful so long as you've got the leadership to carry them in greater numbers.

So what can you tell me about this game to sell me on it, being an old school KB fanboy?

(Yes, I know they are not actually related, just asking for my wishes to be granted)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's not really a randomly generated game. I see one playthrough as usual and that'll be it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If anything WotN is less random than AP out of the gate because unit access on the first few islands boils down to "Vikings and some random animals/pirates". I'm sure it will open up a bit like AP did but this game definitely starts off more like The Legend.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
drat. Oh well, I'm sure it's still worth one playthrough like the others. It'll probably be on a massive discount at some point.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I like all the game mechanics in the new King's Bounty games, but I really hate the overall progression. Basically every chapter is the exact same: Arrive in new area, grab free poo poo, take out weak armies, do quests, take out strong armies, do chapter quest. Rinse and repeat for every chapter of every game. Heres hoping that they change it up a bit this time. I think the biggest problem is that the strength of creatures ramps up too drastically every time you move into a new area. If it was a slower curve you wouldnt be forced to sneak around for your first hour in every new area avoiding fights.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Mr.48 posted:

I like all the game mechanics in the new King's Bounty games, but I really hate the overall progression. Basically every chapter is the exact same: Arrive in new area, grab free poo poo, take out weak armies, do quests, take out strong armies, do chapter quest. Rinse and repeat for every chapter of every game. Heres hoping that they change it up a bit this time. I think the biggest problem is that the strength of creatures ramps up too drastically every time you move into a new area. If it was a slower curve you wouldnt be forced to sneak around for your first hour in every new area avoiding fights.

For at least the first two, I find it changes a bit about 1/2 way through discovering islands. You open up 2 or 3 small islands of about the same difficulty at the same time, and can reliably take on everything Strong or above if it's not a hero, so you get some flexibility in the order you do things.

I usually play a mage who's ocd about losing troops, and that's about when you get Phoenix though, so that might have a little something to do with it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Continuing the proud tradition of the series, boss fights are still the shittiest thing in the game. I wish they'd make the effort to balance rage skill usage during boss fights instead of simply chopping off a huge portion of the variability in gameplay with a broken english tooltip that says "Sorry it wouldn't be fair to let you use these here!!". It's even worse because the first boss pops up basically right after you get two more valkyries to mess around with.

Game still owns though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mr.48 posted:

This game definitely has a slower curve, havnt had to do that poo poo yet even once on hard

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The attrition started on the 3rd and 4th island for me. I ended up having depleted berserkers, maidens, and polar bears by the time I hit the first boss. The first boss was a pretty good fight though but I ended up using some Sea Dogs and Skalds to do mop up duty while the Jotun and Jarl worked on the boss.

I just got the colossus wanderer spell. And the talking raven you pick up on the first island can scribe it. I got 1100 hp frost dragons with my first use. I can see this is going to be hilarious.

This area after the boss is no slouch either. I'm depleted on Jarls now too.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 28, 2012

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
I love this game series so much. The original and armoured princess gave me over 130 hours of gameplay, so this was an insta pre order for me. Glad to see its more of the same goodness, and the same excellent music.

Anyone know what unit gives the "Troops slain by vikings" badge? I cannot for the life of me figure out which it is, as its certainly not the basic viking unit. Maybe slingers?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Okay after the first boss the next area's difficulty just sky rockets for a couple of reasons. Also I just dropped about 120k on a new army, heh.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've never played a King's Bounty game before. Which should I start with, Armored Princess with Crossworlds?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elswyyr posted:

I've never played a King's Bounty game before. Which should I start with, Armored Princess with Crossworlds?

Honestly start with the current one. AP's difficulty curve can be pretty brutal

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Rascyc posted:

The attrition started on the 3rd and 4th island for me. I ended up having depleted berserkers, maidens, and polar bears by the time I hit the first boss. The first boss was a pretty good fight though but I ended up using some Sea Dogs and Skalds to do mop up duty while the Jotun and Jarl worked on the boss.

I just got the colossus wanderer spell. And the talking raven you pick up on the first island can scribe it. I got 1100 hp frost dragons with my first use. I can see this is going to be hilarious.

This area after the boss is no slouch either. I'm depleted on Jarls now too.

Wait, are there not enoughn troops available for hire in the castles or something? One of the biggest gripes I have with the KB games is having to constantly travel back to earlier areas to replenish my army. I was hoping they would figure this poo poo out by now and get it fixed. Oh god I just remembered the endless trips back to the Swamps and Islands of Freedom in The Legend to restock on Royal Snakes, Evil Beholders and Orc Shamans. gently caress that noise, you'd think that they could implement some sort of remote buying system like the caravans in Heroes 4 or something.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elswyyr posted:

Crossworlds is just an upgraded Armored Princess start with that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr.48 posted:

Wait, are there not enoughn troops available for hire in the castles or something? One of the biggest gripes I have with the KB games is having to constantly travel back to earlier areas to replenish my army. I was hoping they would figure this poo poo out by now and get it fixed. Oh god I just remembered the endless trips back to the Swamps and Islands of Freedom in The Legend to restock on Royal Snakes, Evil Beholders and Orc Shamans. gently caress that noise, you'd think that they could implement some sort of remote buying system like the caravans in Heroes 4 or something.
There generally is for about 90% of the stuff? Some of the other stuff is a bit rarer at the start.

But yeah you do have to take some field trips to restock troops from time to time. The 4th island in particular is pretty stupid in that the only place you can hire just has the low and mid tier rogue units and nothing viking related.

The 5th area has like, gobs of stuff to hire and it's everywhere. I don't think you can visit an area of the map without running into someone hiring out Horsemen.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Really glad this game came out of nowhere, it's awesome so far. Awesome music, and the difficulty curve so far isn't 10 kinds of hosed like APs was. Bosses still seem to suck though.

By the way I've been wondering. I beat Armored Princess way back when, but never played Crossworlds, was wondering if it's worth grabbing if I've already beaten Armored Princess (and really don't feel like playing the AP campaign again).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Crossworlds is literally Armored Princess with new stuff tacked on. Like, the exact same campaign but a new dungeon, items, units, extra boss fights, and upgraded Orcs tacked on. I personally preferred vanilla AP because the new Orcs you'll fight in Crossworlds have a lot of overpowered bullshit abilities. You really aren't missing much if you've played through AP already.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

goldjas posted:

Really glad this game came out of nowhere, it's awesome so far. Awesome music, and the difficulty curve so far isn't 10 kinds of hosed like APs was. Bosses still seem to suck though.

By the way I've been wondering. I beat Armored Princess way back when, but never played Crossworlds, was wondering if it's worth grabbing if I've already beaten Armored Princess (and really don't feel like playing the AP campaign again).

I did, but then against I usually play through these types of games on a harder difficulty when I beat them

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Rascyc posted:

There generally is for about 90% of the stuff? Some of the other stuff is a bit rarer at the start.

But yeah you do have to take some field trips to restock troops from time to time. The 4th island in particular is pretty stupid in that the only place you can hire just has the low and mid tier rogue units and nothing viking related.

The 5th area has like, gobs of stuff to hire and it's everywhere. I don't think you can visit an area of the map without running into someone hiring out Horsemen.

Hmm, sounds like they finally tweaked the difficulty progression. I'll probably pick this up eventually, but not at full price. Have enough other real life and game stuff on my plate at the moment, although I think I will enjoy this when I finally get around to it.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Pumpkinreaper posted:

It boosts their passive and the out of combat buffs you can ask them to cast on you/your army, it seems the first time you offer an item to one, it immediately beefs them up, then it takes 3-4 more to make it go up another level.

I'm not certain if it's only a specific valkyrie, but I have also gotten leadership boosts from donating items. Pretty considerable ones too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Warrior playthough is going well. Four valkyries rescued so far. I am currently level 24, and using an all elf army. Elves, Rangers, Druids, Ents, Unicorns. Mainly because that gives me a lot of ranged firepower to use with my big rage skill.

With level 3 bloodlust and a max level gurida as my primary valkyrie, I sit at exactly 62 as my minimum rage. Opening every combat with a giant 18 hex lord of the north makes battles so much easier. Not only does it kill a good number of enemies, it also puts up ice spikes which the enemies waste time attacking instead of rushing to me. I then cast mass bless and rain down my ranged firepower.

I just need to get some drat cost reductions for the skill now. I've only seen one rage cost reduction so far, and it was for Gudrida's rage.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 28, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That is one crazy lord of the north. I like using the leadership valkyrie for obvious reasons, but that's a pretty neat use of the rage valkyrie.

Anyone have a clue what telling a valkyrie to manage your runes does? It just seems like a left over dialog option.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Unfortunately, the game is a bit buggy. Had a few CTDs, but thankfully autosave stopped me from pulling my hair out. Also, don't take the diplomacy skill, as that completely screws you over when you get troops that you already have the max of. You'll get an uncontrolled stack wandering around like dumbasses in the fight, which can really mess up your game plan.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
What's the max level of the Valkyries?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Markkei posted:

What's the max level of the Valkyries?
Max level is 5. You get them to 4, then talk to them and they give you a quest you need to complete in order to hit 5.

Kaizer88 posted:

Unfortunately, the game is a bit buggy. Had a few CTDs, but thankfully autosave stopped me from pulling my hair out. Also, don't take the diplomacy skill, as that completely screws you over when you get troops that you already have the max of. You'll get an uncontrolled stack wandering around like dumbasses in the fight, which can really mess up your game plan.
The mind tree in general feels weak compared to crossworlds. Most of my runes in the tree have gone into level 3 power of spirit and level 3 sense weakness.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kaizer88 posted:

I think thats a bug, if you have too many units they should just be disappearing

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

The mind tree in general feels weak compared to crossworlds. Most of my runes in the tree have gone into level 3 power of spirit and level 3 sense weakness.

Really? I found that the mind tree this time around is pretty good, since right off the bat you can up the morale for your primary units, make enemy troops randomly miss their first turn and so on.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's a little better, plus they gave the highest leadership growth to paladins/skald as opposed to the warriors this time around. I guess to most people the mind tree pales when compared to nuking everything with rage abilities and magic but I like the balanced bonuses it offers for a first playthrough.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The songs are pretty good too. They scale by themselves. This is the first King's Bounty I am bothering with the resurrection skill, and I am not sure why I did this when the game rains so much money on you. I do have some level 5 things that I'd like to last as long as possible so I guess there's that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kaizer88 posted:

Anyone know what unit gives the "Troops slain by vikings" badge? I cannot for the life of me figure out which it is, as its certainly not the basic viking unit. Maybe slingers?
It really is vikings. But there are several of those badges that do not seem to trigger appropriately; I usually had 2 or 3 traps set off in a battle before I got credit for one, and my vikings definitely killed 20+ units before I finally got credit for 10. All I can figure is maybe they have to do a majority of the damage or something? But that does not seem to be how anything else works (like the rage-slain badge) ... hmm.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My rage powers are starting to go though the roof. The combination of runic power (final tier might tree) and rune magic (magic tree) really supercharges rage skills. Rune magic is important, since it gives runes to all of your troops no matter what the type. You don't have to use vikings. Suddenly all your rage skill start doing +60% extra damage, and you have a 60% chance being able to use a second rage skill in the same turn. You can burn down groups real fast when when you can suddenly doublecast beefy rage spells.

By my math it shouldn't be 60% as the skills are written. 3 runes/creature x 5 creatures x 3% per rune = 45%. I am getting 60% using no troops that come with runes though. Possible it is a bug, or the description is wrong.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Quarex posted:

It really is vikings. But there are several of those badges that do not seem to trigger appropriately; I usually had 2 or 3 traps set off in a battle before I got credit for one, and my vikings definitely killed 20+ units before I finally got credit for 10. All I can figure is maybe they have to do a majority of the damage or something? But that does not seem to be how anything else works (like the rage-slain badge) ... hmm.

The trap badge at least requires you to kill an enemy stack with a trap, not just set them off. This requires a lot more :effort: and micromanaging than you'd expect. I only had the patience to grind two ranks of it in Armored Princess, then I said gently caress it and remained content with my free two traps spawned in every battle.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

WYA posted:

Jump straight in, there isnt any continuity from what I can decipher

Uh... no?

The entire part after you close the first portal is the entire island from the first two games gone to hell... again.

I played them in order (KB:The Legend, KB: Crossworlds / Armored Princess and now this) and it helped a bit, granted the story line is shallow but I enjoyed it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I always thought all of the KB games take place in parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I was just coming here to say the same thing as Malek; there is very little indication at first, mostly sly nods as I mentioned before, about continuity--and then, well, there is continuity. Rascyc, I sort of thought that too, but at the same time I do remember the protagonist from The Legend being discussed in Armored Princess, so, even if it is low-key, it is there. THIS IS BIGGER THAN KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC

• Locked thread