Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

RandomPauI posted:

Every time you release a new one and delete an old one my phone freaks out and deletes all of my podcasts.

I assume this is the work of the Turkish hackers who took down the f-plus back in the day

I swear I tried to delete them all at once but some slipped through the cracks.

Shame Boy posted:

This is reminding me how of all episodes the Offbeat Bride ones prolly get the most Groans per Minute out of me, up there with the videogame poetry one, maybe that's why I like them.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Offbeat Bride is def a good one for "these people aren't hurting themselves or anyone else, they probably had a lovely time, but JESUS CHRIST STOP ALL THIS NONSENSE HAVE SOME DIGNITY"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Time to be inspired once again by Not Always Right!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

listening to this was like lucid dreaming which I feel isn't far off since it's largely the desired thought bubbles of what they either thought had happened in the situation or wished had happened. And having multiple takes of it just reinforced the whole effect.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A third in and it's neat how seamlessly the episode flows between each group.

And also how utterly proud some people are of the most boring-rear end stories.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

and then everybody stood up and applauded! Happy 400, guys!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I don't have 400 episodes

GOODBYE

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
A great episode, though it's telling how forgettable the stories are (or how drunk and/or high he was) that Lemon forgot that he recorded it twice.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

GOTH CHRISTMAS

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
⭕🌲

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
This episode was hard to listen to. Not Always Right gives me powerful fremdschämen for the people posting such obvious stdh so shamelessly. I mean, they're still funny, but also they make me want to die from cringe.

Also I do not understand how Lemon could possibly have forgotten the Marvel story.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Wow these are some of the most boring mofos in existance, like seriously good god.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

After listening to those stories I can easily believe Lemon immediately forgot every single one of them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Its been less than a day since I listened to the episode and I can already only remember 2 of them. And for once of them that's just because it was the only one to end in classic NotAlwaysRight style with everyone applauding.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I remember the first one with the long checkout line (because "getting to be first when they opened a new checkout line" was definitely the best thing that happened to that guy all week and you can tell), goth christmas, the one that treated the marvel cinematic universe as some sort of secret cool club, and the one where two strangers definitely for real had a conversation in fluent klingon in public.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Why is it that Not Always Right and also Reddit specifically seem to produce the same type of bad storytelling? It’s especially egregious with the stories in theses episodes because they’re barely stories, but people on both of these websites always 1) give way too much background info that doesn’t matter to the story at all, and 2) use way too many hyperbolic comparisons and flowery descriptions that destroy any sense of pacing the story might have had.

It’s not that I don’t get why someone would do these things. I know I’ve been guilty of the first one when telling stories in person, although when I do it over text I usually go back and edit before posting. And I guess the second one makes sense if you’re trying to make a boring story interesting.

But I feel like other websites have different kinds of bad storytelling. I’ve seen plenty of fake and poorly-told stories on Twitter, Tumblr, etc., and they don’t display these exact tropes so consistently.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

With Not Always Right in particular, they edit the submissions they get, and it becomes a kind of self-selection anyway. People who submit stories have read a bunch of stories, so they've gleaned the house style. For a while there was a feed of their unfiltered submissions, and while they were still insufferably boring there was less pageantry involved overall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The excess detail I always chalk up to “these people are making poo poo up and are also bad liars, who think more detail=more believable”.

There is never anything as detailed as a bullshit story.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

That could be it. I also wonder if the fact that they circulate based on the titles is part of it, kind of another version of the clickbait tactic. “Clickbait” not necessarily in the sense that the title is misleading, but more like “you clicked because of the title and now you have to read my boring, overlong story.”

That’s the only explanation I can come up with as to why the fake viral stories on other websites are written better. All the infamous fake Tumblr stories are pretty concise, presumably because people didn’t reblog them before reading the whole thing. Twitter threads aren’t necessarily concise, but they usually have better pacing because at least one thing needs to happen per tweet.

Basically what I’m saying is that everyone on Not Always Right and Reddit is even worse at writing bullshit stories than the Bean Dad.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
Extra Credit lets Achilles' Heelies sift through Wookiepedia.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oh hell yes, the Wookiepedia F-Plus episode was a delight, can't wait to hear what Star Wars insanity was uncovered for this one!

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I consider myself more duck-esque. Not quite there, but close.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
re: the not always right episode, off the top of my head i only remember the coffee story, mostly because it's so enraging in its self-congratulatory banality. the rest start to filter back into my mind after that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lotus Aura posted:

Its been less than a day since I listened to the episode and I can already only remember 2 of them. And for once of them that's just because it was the only one to end in classic NotAlwaysRight style with everyone applauding.

I listened to the ep a couple more times as background to some minecrafting as a wind-down from work this week because i liked the novelty of two different readings of the same material and i only remember the style of the readings and not the material itself, except for the supermarket one because it was so exceptionally stupid and obviously fake, I don't know why that stuck out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

New FPlus ep immediately starts in Orlando, oh no.

e: God I've lived in Central Florida all my life and have met this woman so many times, I assume anyone that lives in a touristy area knows her too

e2: Also Disney does, in fact, sucks

e3: Oh my god that person who wanted MORE bullshit security in post-9/11 Disney, what a loving psycho

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 25, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wow the rare Lemonless episode?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

wow the rare Lemonless episode?

Am I not getting the joke, cuz Lemon's definitely in it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The episode description says it's just Boots/Kumquat/Nutshell/Zarla.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Boots is just that good at voice acting

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also while I'm still thinking about it: 2004-era fast pass was the best fast pass era because it was free and trivially easy and people like the angry family in the ep still just could not loving wrap their heads around it for some reason. Like I very well could have been one of the people getting on Mission: Space ahead of them, I was certainly there plenty in that time period since EPCOT was the "educational" theme park and gave school group discount rates so teachers had an excuse for field trips there.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

On the scale of DOES NOT SUCKS to SUCKS THE REALLY REALLY BIG ONE, I would say that DISNEY SUCKS CANAL WATER !!!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Man, as a Seattlite I will never not be crushed that there doesn't seem to be video of F Plus Live 7, especially of the opening number (which was stuck in my head today)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shame Boy posted:

Also while I'm still thinking about it: 2004-era fast pass was the best fast pass era because it was free and trivially easy and people like the angry family in the ep still just could not loving wrap their heads around it for some reason. Like I very well could have been one of the people getting on Mission: Space ahead of them, I was certainly there plenty in that time period since EPCOT was the "educational" theme park and gave school group discount rates so teachers had an excuse for field trips there.

something something posting the defunctland fastpass documentary

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

something something posting the defunctland fastpass documentary

Yeah I just took it as a given that everyone's already seen it lol

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
Extra Credit made a reborn doll of our reborn doll episode. This one's way better.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, while the doc says that it removed all the posts where people were using their reborn dolls to deal with trauma, the fact that the doc wasn't half a page long indicates that the purging wasn't thorough enough...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been afraid to really pay attention to and listen to the episode. Like have it be my sole focus. But I'm prepping myself with a very specific thought.

These dolls are like pets and plants for people who don't want the responsibility of owning a pet or a plant

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Listening to it now, laughed a little too hard at "REBORN DOLLS AREN'T PEOPLE! IT'S NOT PEEEEOPLEE!!"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
An hour into focusing on the content, and yeah, so far these people just want a no hassel pet, huh? Like a goldfish where feeding and cleaning was completely optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

To be fair, a lot of them also seem to want a weird totemic relationship badge proxy for their boyfriend who clearly isn’t that into commitment.