Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aatrek posted:

Gene Roddenberry was a 'creative consultant' on the first six Star Trek films. Star Trek II, for example, was so good because Nick Meyer didn't listen to anything he said.

:pseudo: Roddenberry co-wrote and produced The Motion Picture. He was kicked upstairs as "creative consultant" after the first film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So ... Badass Digest is saying that JJ Abrams may have dropped out of Star Wars.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Hollywood Reporter says that the Episode VII production team has asked for a delay to 2016, but Disney is holding firm on its demand for a 2015 release:

quote:

Disney might be experiencing a disturbance in the Force.

With the Oct. 24 exit of Star Wars: Episode VII writer Michael Arndt, the studio is under the gun to keep the film on course for a 2015 release despite a script that several insiders say isn't close to ready.

According to those close to the project, producer Kathleen Kennedy and most of the film's creative team have asked Disney to push the release to 2016, but studio CEO Robert Iger is adamant that Episode VII -- perhaps the franchise's most anticipated installment since 1999's The Phantom Menace -- not budge. That has created enormous pressure on all involved, with director J.J. Abrams stepping in to take over scripting duties with Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote 1980's Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, considered the best film in the series.

Although the 2015 schedule already is full of tentpoles including Disney/Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron, Warner Bros.' Superman-Batman mashup and Lionsgate's final Hunger Games, Iger has crafted a Star Wars game plan that hinges on Episode VII hitting the big screen that summer. The studio is expected to roll out Episodes VII, VIII and IX over a six-year period, with at least two spinoffs -- penned by a team including Kasdan and Simon Kinberg -- interspersed between.

Five Star Wars movies in six years? :barf:

Edited because I can't do math.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 31, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

the last s0n posted:

I count five, unless I'm missing something...

Hurf, you're right. Still, though, five in six years. Ugh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pops Mgee posted:

Delaying star wars would likely mean JJ is off of star trek since that would also release in 2016 for the 50th anniversary.

JJ's definitely off Trek 3, as he prefers to only work hands-on on one project at a time (which is why he didn't get down to brass tacks with Into Darkness until he had locked Super 8). He'll stay on as a producer, and he's been offering some story consultation, but he's already come out and named some directors (Rupert Wyatt, for one) who he thinks would do a great job with the next movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diabolik900 posted:

I just read the actual Hollywood Reporter story, and there's an important detail that nobody here seems to have mentioned yet. JJ Abrams is reportedly more on Disney's side in the dispute. If the director thinks 2015 is a realistic target, I think I can feel a little better about the situation.

I'd normally agree, except JJ isn't exactly a master at getting his movies done in a timely fashion. As soon as Star Trek '09 was released, Paramount set the sequel's release date for May 2011 ... then it got bumped to December 2011 ... then to summer '12 ... then Christmas '12 ... then finally May of this year. And he wasn't even writing Into Darkness. If he and Kasdan are writing a brand-new script and trying to get the movie out in a year and a half, that's a really aggressive timeline.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

May 1, yeah. It's still possible to release it in like July though, but I think that's when the next Man of Steel movie is supposed to come out.

Just as a refresher for what we're looking at in the summer of 2015:

Avengers 2
Batman vs Superman
Pirates of the Caribbean 5
Fantastic Four reboot
Inside Out (the new Pixar joint)
Tintin 2
Terminator 5
World of Warcraft
Ant-Man
Jurassic Park 4
Tomorrowland

And Bond 24 is lurking around there somewhere, too. Honestly, even if they hadn't just overhauled the writing team (I still have no idea how the hell they're going to get this movie done in two years), it makes a lot of sense to release Star Wars in December, just to get out of the way of all those juggernauts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

I have the Star Wars marathon on in the background, and looking over, I saw Vader's silver nose tip. I never really noticed this before. Was it always so... silver? Or is this just a product of HD?

Vader's costume underwent a lot of changes over the course of the trilogy. In A New Hope, it honestly looks kind of cruddy -- it's pretty scratched up and the upper torso / shoulder plate is entirely black. I think the two points at the bottom of his breather triangle were painted silver-ish, but the nose tip was black.

In Empire, they made the nose tip silver and started to brighten up the alternating panels of the shoulder plate; in Jedi he had silver / chrome paint all over the place.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm sure they've met with shitloads of actors, but it doesn't mean any of them are close to getting cast.

They begin shooting in May (which seems ridiculously late for an effects-heavy film opening 18 months later), so they'd better be getting close to casting people.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SirDrone posted:

Wasn't Oldman at one point going to be Grievous?...then again they also pranked about Brian Blessed as Grievous. Certainly better then some Sound Dev doing the voice.

Yeah, Oldman was going to voice Grievous in Revenge of the Sith until he found out that it was a non-SAG production, so he backed out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

penismightier posted:

The fact that there are concepts like "Force Shout" and "Force Run" are what irreparably destroyed the magic of Star Wars.

Blame the video games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rita Repulsa posted:

I haven't check in for a while, could I have a refresher about what's known about the new movies for certain so far?

First one begins shooting in May for a December 2015 release (there's no way they'll make that date). Adam Driver has been cast as the villain. Carrie Fisher is the only original cast member to publicly confirm she's in the movie. John Williams is scoring, Dan Mindel is the cinematographer. Ben Burtt is returning as the sound designer.

Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) was originally writing the script. In October 2013 it was announced that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan had assumed screenwriting duties; Abrams reportedly threw out most of what Arndt had done and work was being started from scratch.

That's about all we know for certain.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reinanigans posted:

So what are your opinions on the various Star Wars games? I've played KotoR 1 like...four times, but always heard part 2 wasn't as good, so I stayed away.

KOTOR 2 has a great story, but it was rushed to meet a deadline and released in incomplete, unfinished form. There's been a lot of work to restore the missing content on the PC side but I believe that project has fallen by the wayside.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Torrannor posted:

Edit: I hope Judi Dench reprises her role as Mon Mothma

Caroline Blakiston is not Judi Dench. :confused:

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad is convinced they're going to make "that Gollum fucker" Yoda in flashbacks or something because Frank Oz isn't listed.

To be fair, Oz can't do the Yoda voice anymore (Yoda sounded more like Miss Piggy in Episodes II and III), so this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trump posted:

Didn't the John Rhys-Davies as Grievious rumour originate from a goon?

No way, was that really a rumor? I remember that Gary Oldman was rumored to be the original voice of Grievous but backed out because Episode III was a non-union production, but I have no idea whether that's true.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

The very first special edition had a good change to the conversation in Empire. The Emperor, instead of saying "We have a new enemy, Luke Skywalker...." says "Our new enemy, I sense he is the son of Anakin Skywalker...."

This particular change ("I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker") didn't happen until the 2004 DVD release, when they re-shot the scene with McDiarmid during the filming of Episode III.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Corek posted:

Ehh, you're right. I couldn't think of times it ended well, but that's because this has rarely happened at all ever.

Quinto in the JJ Trek reboot was basically a fan casting, and he hasn't been particularly impressive in those films.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shakugan posted:

Why the hell didn't they just get Johnson to do all 3 from the get go?

If I had to guess, it's because Abrams showed with Star Trek '09 that he's a really, really good table-setter, in terms of establishing the look, feel and personality of a universe. This new trilogy is going to be, what, 30+ years, storyline-wise, after the original trilogy, so I'm sure Lucasfilm / Disney wanted someone who had proven himself able to not only direct a good sci-fi film, but also to get the wheels turning for future installments. Johnson's done some great stuff, but I'm not sure he's the guy you want giving you your first impression of this "new" Star Wars.

The other thing is that Abrams likes to only commit to one project at a time. He didn't commit to Star Trek Into Darkness until he had wrapped post on Super 8 (and because Paramount didn't want to wait on two franchises for him, Bad Robot put Brad Bird on Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol), and I'm sure he didn't want to be doing all Star Wars all the time for the next six years or whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hhhat posted:

Until now I had no loving clue Brad Bird directed that. I've ignored the mission impossible movies, should I watch this one?

They're all worth watching to various degrees. The first film is by DePalma, and it has his style all over it, but it got cut up a bit for running time so it's a little confusing on first watch. The second is a case study in what happens when you let John Woo run loose without a net (he turned in a cut that was more than three hours long; Paramount removed him from the editing room and brought in Stuart Baird to do an emergency re-edit to bring it to a more manageable length, which results in large chunks of the movie making no sense at all -- but it's beautifully shot. The third is Abrams' first time out as a film director, but it turns a lot of "action movie" clichés on its head, which is fun. Ghost Protocol is just absolutely fantastic.

:stonklol:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rough Lobster posted:

So, I was thinking and it's been a while since I've seen the original trilogy. Time to ask the age-old question: is there a DVD set (or each movie individually if I have to) that just has the basic movies without all of the extra CGI poo poo they added in? I googled it of course but I'm getting a lot of conflicting info.

There are DVDs of the unaltered films. However, they're non-anamorphic transfers from the 1993 laserdiscs, with no restoration work done -- so color timing is off and they're on the ugly side.

This set contains the laserdisc rips as well as the Special Editions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

Good I hope this delays the film because in my opinion it was too rushed to begin with.

I imagine Disney will do everything it can to hang onto that 2015 slot. Between Batman v. Superman, Star Trek 3, Transformers 5, Captain America 3, X-Men Apocalypse and God knows what else, summer 2016 is going to be a zoo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man, how important is Han Solo in this script? I was kinda hoping the emphasis would not be on the old gang, but if they have to delay the entire movie because of his injury rather than write around him...

He's apparently one of the lead protagonists (I've always figured Han will bite it at the end of Episode VII to set up the next two movies).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Most of the major film sites believe that Han Solo is the main character of the film from what I've read; Devin Faraci in particular has a pretty great history of being right about these things. Seeing how all the Millenium Falcon stuff is shooting right now, it seems like a big problem.

Right, I believe the current hot rumor is that the crux of the story is Han, Leia and some new characters going off in search of a missing Luke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

This sounds terrible. The old people aren't actually the leads are they?

When Abrams fired Arndt and replaced him with Kasdan, it was said to be a top-to-bottom rewrite, focusing more on the original cast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Billy Dee is super old and in pretty bad shape mobility-wise. I don't think he has it in him to act outside of something like the Spock cameo in STITD.

He was able to do a few weeks of Dancing with the Stars earlier this year, and I doubt any appearance he would make in a Star Wars film would be nearly as physically intensive as that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McDowell posted:

the Noghiri were going to be the Sith (explaining Darth Vader's title)

Isn't "Sith" another one of those words that never appeared in a single movie until The Phantom Menace?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vader as a dark lord of bipedal lizard-like death monster fanatics would have been pretty apt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Raku posted:

Into Darkness is not a Star Wars movie.

It uses the TIE engine roar at one point, though, so there's that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

The new Star Trek movies feel more like Star Wars than Star Trek. (Fun adventures taking a farm boy away from home, with plenty of humor and action.) Which is why, from what I've seen, Star Wars fans like them more than Star Trek fans. And also why Star Wars fans are excited about JJ making Episode VII.

Yes, Abrams was quite vocal about not being a fan at all of Star Trek but rather being a huge fan of Star Wars from childhood; Orci and Kurtzman were the driving force behind Star Trek '09 even getting considered (and Abrams offered to back them via Bad Robot), and after Mission: Impossible 3 made a fuckton of money, Abrams was Paramount's new golden boy for rejuvenating a franchise, so he was offered the directing job.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trump posted:

Nothing indicates that CG is cheaper. It's chosen because of flexibility, you can always change and adjust or entirely redesign CG.

I forget who the actor was (Michael Caine?) who said that John Huston was the most ridiculously economical filmmaker ever: He shot exactly what he wanted, he didn't bother with coverage shots in case he didn't get what he hoped for and needed some flexibility, and he was practically editing in-camera.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Star Wars, on the other hand, is going to be BIG at Disney World. In like four or five years because that's how long Disney takes to do anything in their theme parks these days.

It took like seven years to open Euro Disney and something like five years from announcement to opening day for Disney-MGM, so this is nothing new.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really hope they kill off Han Solo in a blaze of glory in this movie. Harrison Ford is 72. Just imagine if in episode 8 or 9 they're like "Welp, sorry guys, Han Solo isn't in this movie because he died offscreen. Thems the breaks!"

I'm positive that either Han or Luke is dying in Episode VII.

quote:

Hell, I think the reason why they pumped out the Hobbit movies now rather than later is because Ian Mckellen is one foot in the grave. Disney is like "well, we better do a Star Wars movie before the original actors are all dead!"

It's not so much McKellen (who's still going strong at 75) but Sir Christopher Lee who has the one foot in the grave. He can't travel and he looks like a ghoul -- which, to be fair, is to be expected at 92. I fear he won't be with us much longer. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Let Ian McDiarmid remain as the Emperor in ESB. It's a tiny thing, it doesn't change much, and it does preserve some continuity. Switch everything else back, but keep that little nugget.

Ugh, no, if for no other reason than the Emperor's Episode III makeup was terrible, and going from McDiarmid's appearance in Empire to the way he looks in Jedi is ridiculous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dysgenesis posted:

I never quite understood how they managed to gently caress the makeup up so badly in revenge of the Sith.

He seriously looks more ghoulish in Episode III than he does in Jedi, and I don't get it. (For God's sake, they gave McDiarmid a turtleneck to hide his neck droop, which was already part of the Emperor's appearance in the first place!) But this isn't far from Paul Freeman's makeup in the Power Rangers movie. Jesus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

edit: I'll meet you halfway, Timby. Keep the original ESB footage, but get McDiarmid to overdub the voice.

I'd be fine with that, since the dialogue changes in the ESB scene with McDiarmid are awful.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I kinda get why the Emperor would look so drastically different.

He's twenty years younger in RotS. I'd imagine the Dark Side did some serious damage to him in the following years.

Except he's wearing his Episode III makeup in the ESB re-shoot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sith Happens posted:

To me, the most glaring problems with the Blu-rays aren't the new additions (Vader's "No... NOOO!" is the only one I outright hate, although the new sound for Obi-Wan's krayt dragon scream is absurd too), but rather the problems introduced into the image during the remaster like the screwy color timing/grading. Vader's lightsaber should not be pink. Snow on Hoth should not be blue.

I don't know how those things got past any level of quality control, and they're even worse if they're being called an "artistic decision". If that's the case, then why isn't Vader's lightsaber pink in every shot, instead of changing back and forth between pink and crimson even in the same scene?

Vader's lightsaber was screwed up as far back as the 2004 DVDs, when Lowry Digital did their restoration (it was a rush job; I think they only got 30 days for each movie when they normally take three months to do a single film). It's remarkable, really -- take a frame, pop it into Photoshop and adjust the contrast, and suddenly it looks perfectly fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ApexAftermath posted:

Original has no scream, 97 SE added scream, 2004 dvd removes scream

It wasn't just a scream. It was the Emperor's scream as he plummets down the reactor shaft. :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Szmitten posted:

And the Book of Eli.

And an episode of Telltales Walking Dead with a one-off Mary Sue and a bunch of Star Wars lines.

And a remake of the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy wears black and knows kung-fu, Toto is a pitbull terrier, and Tin Man is a police car that transforms into ED-209 and who literally tells someone that they have fifteen seconds to comply.

I really wish Gareth Edwards wasn't stuck with him.

I still can't get over the former editor of PC Gamer now writing big-budget movie screenplays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

It doesn't though, especially in comparison with CGI of the same era (and even some CGI in the present day).

The space CGI looks fine, honestly, given the comparison you said. The virtual sets, though, are just so, so bad.

• Locked thread