Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

If Lucas isn't directing it then it can only be better.

I can't empty quote this enough.

Starwars without George Lucas writing or directing is an automatic improvement over the prequel trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Teek posted:

Seriously though, love him or hate him, a theatrical live action Star Wars movie which wasn't written by Lucas just seems wrong.

Why? Did you not see the prequels?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

XCPuff posted:

I would love it if they say something in the film about midichlorians not having anything to do with "the force".

They look straight at the audience and say, "No."

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't even understand what an Episode VII would entail. It's not like the Sith are around anymore. Unless this is addressed in EU. I read one of those books in like 5th grade and it was okay I guess.

I would loving surprised if these new movies gave any more than 1% of a poo poo about the EU.

They are going to be made to appeal to as many as people as possible. Pacifying EU fans is low priority.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If Abrams is directing then its pretty much given that Michael Giacchino will be scoring.

I'm okay with this.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think it has a guarantee not to suck. It might not be great. But the current talent behind it as it stands at least will make it a fun watch.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEofwjeQWso

Duh guys.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's like poetry. They rhyme.

Its his way of making the best movie he possibly can.

EDIT: Wow these newbie avatars :\

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guess I'll post these:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Holy poo poo, I love that set so much.

Seriously. Its a great set.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Filming has allegedly wrapped.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Well he certainly isn't going to say, "We gave it a good effort but I still think Empire will be the better film"

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
As far as teasers go its pretty much a guarantee we'll see something attached to Age of Ultron.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
He honestly doesn't have a huge vocal range when it comes to his voice acting work, its basically either his joker voice or gruff old man voice.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even out of context that is a great photo.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It is going to be real and I cannot wait for the meltdown in this thread.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jacobeus posted:

JJ just couldn't resist using a lens flare in this shot, could he?

Knock it off with this poo poo. That was not even a loving anamorphic lens flare. Stick a camera directly in front of the sun and that is exactly what shows up.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kikka posted:

Looked like an Abrams movie. I am cautiously optimistic but not really impressed.

Heaven forbid a director chosen for their directorial style implements it into the film they are creating!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
FWIW I'm really happy with almost every decision made with this movie so far, but I almost wish someone else besides John Williams was chosen to do the score.

Like Spielberg and Willams, Nolan and Zimmer, you would almost expect that Michael Giacchino would have been brought on a JJ Abrams film, he is essentially a John Williams styled composer in any case. I'm guessing the only reason they didn't go with him is because Williams is still alive and "we might as well"

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OldSenileGuy posted:

Trailer owns bones, gently caress the haters.

So what's the general consensus - a full trailer before Avengers 2? Or is that too early? If not then, then definitely before Ant Man I guess.

It's gotta be before Avengers 2.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

echronorian posted:

So does anyone else remember pages ago, before the trailer release, when SMG said star wars fans don't like star wars?

I would like to hear more about this, actually.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

I saw a bunch of people saying that the teaser "felt like a joke" or somesuch. What was giving that impression, and why would there be a joke trailer released on iTunes and the official Star Wars YouTube channel?

My brother said the same thing. When I asked him to clarify what he meant by it he said I should "Stop being so butthurt about people not liking the trailer".

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
He did say that Boyega popping up looked like something out of Scary Movie.

EDIT: Honestly I think I understand what he means by it. But I still think its a great shot, even if it doesn't make it into the final cut.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 29, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Steve2911 posted:

Not really. He has a pretty genuinely horrified/exhasperated expression on his face and he's panting like gently caress. The only slightly comical bit is the way he pops up out of the bottom of the screen.

And it's not like Star Wars has been void of slapstick comedy.

But I get it now: Star Wars fans hate Star Wars.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Samara posted:

Digging the stabilized version.

http://i.imgur.com/MVhkmQa.gifv

I almost prefer it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dystram posted:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and it doesn't seem like many have picked up on it, but the teaser is all about eschewing expectations.

We're used to Stormtroopers being an oppressive force, but the first thing we see is a terrified Stormtrooper fleeing some unseen menace.

We're used to droids being clunky and slow - R2D2 jets notwithstanding - but we see a circular droid speeding away or to something.

We're used to our female protagonists being princesses; we see what is presumably our female protagonist dressed in desert gear getting ready to speed off on her desert salvage bike.

We're used to seeing X-Wings fighting in space; in the trailer we see them in attack position skimming a body of water.

We're used to lightsabers being smooth and polished; we see a saber that is more light lightning and fire than a smooth plasma blade, featuring plasma vents that act as a makeshift crossguard.

We're used to seeing the Falcon fighting in space; we see it dog-fighting on what is presumably Tatooine.

The whole trailer is screaming "This is Star Wars, but not any Star Wars you've ever seen before."

This is a good post, everyone.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ross posted:

I agree. Some of the special effects from the original ANH are super-dated if you see it now and there are a few places where the updates are an improvement (e.g. the lightsabers look a lot better) but overall it's an odd mix at best.

One of the reasons I hold Jurassic Park in such high regard is that it's 20+ years old and the dinosaurs still look good.

The mixed effects scenes look good. But the stampede scene has not aged well.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tusen Takk posted:

So since I've seen a few people bashing Abrams, in everyone's wildest wet dreams, who would YOU have had directing SWTFA instead of Abrams? I think JJ is a great choice, but Chris Nolan could have been amazing as well since he seems to be better with dark themes and after Interstellar, it's safe to say that he knows how to make a space movie with lots of CGI done well etc etc.

How do you guys think TFA would go if it was being directed by someone else? Spielberg? Nolan? Ridley Scott? Del Toro?

The only answer is David Fincher.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PeterWeller posted:

Camera drills down a Jedi's arm and into her blood showing you the midichlorians.

Meticulously shot lightsaber battles which the rumor from the set took 259 takes before Fincher was satisfied.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Michael Mann has been in a steady downward spiral since Collateral.

Movie would be shot on DV cameras from 2004, no set lighting, no DP.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

e: I really liked Kira, so that's a bummer, but I like Finn. And it sounds a bit weird, but Poe Dameron has really grown on me in the last two minutes. A little weird to me that they're all one syllable names, though.

Luke, Leia, Han.

Er: I guess Leia is two. But still.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
May is the summer according to the studios.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I did a very recent rewatch of the OT. Luke didn't really give a poo poo about his dead relatives.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
BB-8 is a key to all of this, if we can get BB-8 to work...

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jay Abraham, Karen Fish.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it almost looks like his eyes are missing, like they are just gonna add them in post.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's what I said! I had to watch the film three times to notice.

It's the reason he doesn't help out during the Sarlaac pit battle. He's shot in the leg right at the start.

Christ how did I not notice this

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Re: Rian Johnson

If you guys don't think the reason Disney hired him was so they could have a bright eyed up and coming director they could push around and manipulate then welp.

See example: The Marvel films.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

True. That's why Guardians was manipulated as hell and didn't at all resemble a James Gunn film. Or that Iron Man 3 movie that wasn't anything like a Shane Black movie.

Yet Edgar Wright backed out of Ant-Man because he wasn't going to get to direct the type of movie he wanted because it wasn't part of the Marvel Universe Vision©. And he's not the only example of someone exiting due to studio interference.

Rian Johnson has arguably just one box office hit and directed a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad. At what point do you see those and think that he would be a good candidate for Star Wars?

JJ Abrams has enough clout to tell people to gently caress off. Rian Johnson does not, hes fresh faced and eager to please. But now the rumors that are popping up about JJ's movie being a rehash, maybe that isn't even the case.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Because he can tell a good, well rounded story and has a very, very strong visual pallet where he can most likely draw iconic images that will stick with us just as much as the original did.

Looper's cinematography was solid for sure, for some reason it kind of stressed me out and I need to watch again to pinpoint why. But even if he has control visually, it still doesn't guarantee that there won't be meddling with the finer details. I can't imagine that they are gonna let him pen the movies himself, for example.

I don't think the movies are going to be terrible because Rian Johnson is helming, in fact I don't expect them to be. But he was a safe choice for Disney, so to speak.

• Locked thread