Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I just started this game. I played as humans and repaired stuff and died a lot but it was pretty cool then I played as aliens and now I hate this game and aliens are stupid and you just bite stuff and lick things and I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not a good alien.

My alien dude wasn't saying anything or telling us where to go or what to do and just yelling at us. My human boss was cool and telling people where to go and what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
All my alien did was bite and lick things and die nearly instantly when shot at

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, it got a little better, still like being a space repairman more. This is a good game!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Trilin posted:

Hopefully I'm not proven wrong but I love how this game has no stat tracking whatsoever. People are just so much nicer to each other when stuff like W/L and KDR aren't on their mind.

I was scared of this. I hate playing serious online games where people just yell at me for not knowing everything. I jumped on some newbie friendly servers and started playing and having a commander guide you is actually kind of nice. Once I play a bunch and get the hang of it (I just run around shooting people and repairing things, not sure if I'm supposed to be doing more) I'd be up for trying commander.

Maybe in a goon game first or something.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Faffel posted:

A goon game is the worst place to try to learn or have fun or win at a game. I thought you were experienced with goons!

What? Goons always seem to carry me around and help me out, but then again I don't play the uber goon competitive games, mainly just stuff we can all work together on. NS3 has a strong sense of working together and I like that. I'm sure the goon players are just as friendly, since the pubbies are really nice in this.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Magres posted:

Being opportunistic and sneaky doesn't mean camping, nor does it mean playing a stealth game. It means looking for and forcing opportunities, and when given the choice between HURR CHARREGGGGing into a Marine and running on the ceiling and avoiding his attention as long as you can until you get to melee, being smart and running on the ceiling. You don't have to pretend to be a 1337ninja to be a sneaky little jerk and come at people from odd angles. And ambushing doesn't mean "Camp a hallway for fifteen minutes like a moron," it means "Oh poo poo there are Marines coming, surround the doorway that they're going to pop out of in ten seconds so we can chew on them as soon as they come through."

Rush in a pack attack, sneak when alone, but sneaking in a pack is best.

I'm liking the aliens so far, if people play them a bit smart a group can do a lot of damage.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

octoroon posted:

I don't know that it's the same Eric Neigher, but apparently he has a history of writing terrible uninformed reviews and then bragging about having pissed people off.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8877080&publicUserId=5784087

It sounds like a troll, just to see if people are reading the articles.

The game has tons of tutorials and I'm a big dumb dummy who hates and fears playing online because people will yell at me and see how horrible I am under pressure, but NS2 has been nothing but fun so far.

The game has long load times the first time you run it, but after it cached I didn't notice longer than normal loading and the graphics work great for the title. I still haven't braved being commander yet, but I think you should have a firm grasp of the game before you bother a bunch of people by playing it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

voltron lion force posted:

Speaking as a newish player, if you tell me to go somewhere not specifically marked on the map, I have no idea where you're talking about. Talkative commanders are the best though. I like it when they tell me I did a good job :3:

I hate when they say "main base" instead of room clearly labeled on my map

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Puistokemisti posted:

Onos nothing, got it on Fade and it was so awesome because I could Blink into their base, swipe couple marines, Blink out and be ready to do it again in just couple seconds. But yeah, this will be horrible once people catch on.

Two fades kept doing that in our base during one game and people just couldn't reload quick enough to take them out.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Natalya Fartz posted:

If the lights are off/dumb Marines have their flashlights on all the time, you can't see the light beams giving away their location.

Look at these idiots, trying to see!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dominoes posted:

PRO GAMERS turn their visual settings to minimum and crank the brightness/gamma so they can see in the dark. I think.

Thank god I play on rookie, I don't think I'm ready to decode the matrix of 1s and 0s to be a good alien shooter.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

octoroon posted:

There are always going to be a handful of people in any FPS who will gently caress with their visual experience to get MAXIMUM FRAGS. Luckily, even with foggy-flashlight atmospherics and bumpy infestation and everything, it's still very possible to be good at this game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also with regards to pink skulks and whatnot, I think there actually is already a consistency-checking option that fixes this but it's a setting that is not enabled by default for servers. So I think fixing it is just a matter of UWE flipping a switch in a patch somewhere down the line if they feel it's that big of a deal.

Yeah, I never really care at being DA BEST in games, I just like having fun and so far I'm enjoying trying to be better and everything is really low pressure and just dudes playing aliens and marines.

Not sure how I feel about all those steam workshop tweaks, I hate poo poo like people using pink guns and dayglow textures and other lovely hacks. I love cheating the poo poo out of single player games, but multiplayer cheaters are just sad to me. Just play the game!!! Have fun even if you suck!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah, I've actually been meaning to turn it off but just haven't gotten around to it. It does feel kind of unfair now that they glow like christmas lights.

I just hate knowing they are out there because now every time a marine walks into a room and spots me instantly hiding in the far corner under a pipe I go :raise:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I got a jet pack, grenade launcher and kept buying mines, it was great, I stayed alive for like 5 minutes and got about 10 kills.

I've been alive in an EXO for about as long as it took me to walk into combat.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I still play on the newbie servers because I suck and don't know the maps. I loving hate when the commander is a whiny cry baby about his team dying or not killing things or not knowing what to do. I had to leave a game today because the only thing the commander felt like doing was pointing out how horrible everyone was.

Just tell me where to go if you need me somewhere, I don't need you to keep pointing out how I can't kill everything. I'm a support player!!!!

bah, time to go play Chivarly, where my incompetence is cherished, not mocked.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 9, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, I love hearing "Wow, good job clearing that room" and not some nasally "I could win if my team could stop dying".

Jeezum man, it's a game, we are trying to have some fun. Don't brow beat people. If the game sucks, just try your best and hang in there. I only bail if the team gets cannibal on each other.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, humans own because we have to fight uphill and defeat not only the aliens but ourselves and our horrible programming.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
All I know is that when I'm a marine I can't shoot anything and when I'm an alien I can't bite anything. Somebody fix that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ShadowHawk posted:

You can still be very strategically valuable by going behind enemy lines and biting down res nodes, retreating if a marine comes to mess with you. If you force an entire marine player to spend his time just shadowing you and cleaning up your mess you've more than done your part.

You can do something similar once you've got enough res for onos -- just wait in hallways and block off a section of a map from lone marines. If a bunch show up go somewhere else, and heal up after every fight.

Yeah, I always play support, I don't do well on the commando front. I can defend or build and mainly stick to marines because I just feel like you have to be way more aggressive to play aliens since they lack a lot of support roles. I usually play gorge but nobody comes back to me for healing, they just play like disposable bombs with legs.

I usually stock up on res and start protecting stuff with mines and go around repairing things. Space Janitor!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm leaving my lights up until they get rid of them.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
What is the big deal if aliens win more on late game? Stomp them out quicker. Things don't have to be 50/50 for it to be a fun game. Sheesh man. You should be having fun even when losing. Go chomp and shoot poo poo and talk to people and stop looking at numbers and charts and making graphs supporting your alien fiscal cliffs

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

xzzy posted:

I wasn't even talking to you in that post, I was responding to something Dyz said. :fuckoff:

Oh come on now, it is a forum, not a private thing. People wanna talk about game balance, but let's keep it civil, huh? Save that hate for shooting aliens in the face soldier.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Zigmidge posted:

Double posting!

Double posting??!?!!? :fuckoff:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sire Oblivion posted:

If anything it would just make things quicker for Marines to respond. You walk into a Phase, a menu pops up:

1. Sub-Access
2. Data Core
3. Flight Control
4. Crossroads

Press the key and there you go. Someone already mentioned Voogru doing it for his servers and working well, so it should be applicable here as well.

If you don't pick in a few seconds, it sends you to the closest one

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm absolutely dreadful at this game. When I'm an alien, I get shot by marines all the time. When I'm a marine, it's worse; the aliens jump around at the speed of light and I can't hit poo poo. I'm not bad at other shooters, but something about the gunplay in this game just feels off to me. It's like there's no weight to the guns, or something. I'm also never satisfied with my mouse sensitivity no matter what I adjust it to.

Is there something I'm doing drastically wrong?

Just stick with me, we will both die with honor.

If you ain't good at murdering people, try repairing and running cover fire. I try to use my corpse to slow down enemies from the good players too.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

YOURFRIEND posted:

Chasing down an onos, emptying a couple of clips into him, then he turns around and tries to gore you, which you successfully dodge all the while shooting him even more, then you run out of ammo in your LMG and continue chasing him, putting pistol bullets into him until finally he goes down to the last clip, five bullets left right outside his hive.

Feels good man. Exos do not compare. People need to learn this.

I cry a manly tear when people let an Onos run away. You throw your life down for the team when an Onos runs, they only run when they are scared. Then it turns into people trying to fight off the Onos as it runs down the hallway, heals up and starts all over again in 15 seconds.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I switched from running backwards and trying to shoot things to strafing and trying to shoot things and holy hell, fades are a lot less scary now. I can actually battle them and not just die before I can unload a clip. I can actually avoid them and sometimes reload so I don't die instantly and maybe if somebody else shoots it too it will die.

It's also fun to dive over fades and onos in a small tunnel and unload into the gorge keeping the show going. Last couple of games has seemed like I'm defending just right outside our main while we get hit and run attacked. I usually try to focus on the run away path and save my ammo for that. It's hard trying to be a better player. I wanna go back to just healing stuff and soaking up bullets!!!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
How big is the area of attack on an Onos anyway? It seems those fuckers just thrash around and everything is dead. I was trying to jet pack away and went up into the wall and over the lip of a door way and the jerk just swatted me anyway. And that god drat stomp. I hate getting stomped then sitting there while the Onos is standing on you attacking other people. If you ain't on the ground when it happens, it shouldn't stop you, that's video game basics right there.

I get the whips throw back grenades too, that is useful and makes sense, but what I loving hate is how they can whip them back around corners in impossible ways. If they can't direct line of sight hit you back, it should just be whip it away, not around a corner down a hallway and right back at me.

Ugh, I wish I knew how to play aliens well.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Really? I'm going to have to look up what the right time is then, because that stomp always wrecks me.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The main thing, of course, is learning to bite marines directly in the junk as a skulk. That is what is best in life.

That's why I wish I was better!

I'm one of those terrible players who constantly thinks whatever side I'm not on is horribly over powered. But really the trick to games is a good commander, communication and teamwork. I think marines sync up in team work better by design, but it feels good to cover players or provide support. I hate when three marines enter a room and we all try to repair or build the power node. But when you hit a team that just automatically switches and keeps a watch out, it's awesome.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, the worst I got was some dudes vocally being babies over people not knowing what to do on the newbie friendly servers. Otherwise the community is pretty good, not many people plunk down money to bother people now, well, aside from the forums. Most griefers stick to free to play.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Look how amazing mines are and sadly no one ever gets them aside from a few thanks to that fat cost.

I like using mines, but it seems everyone just stands back and spits at them to blow them up or a fade runs in explodes them and blinks back to heal and come back 5 seconds later.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

SanitysEdge posted:

Mines should have a late game upgrade that makes them $5 for a 3 pack.

What about making them a real weapon, like you can place up to 3 at any time. So if you pay 15, you can place three mines, and if they blow up while you are still alive, you can use 3 more maybe on a time limit so you can't infinitely spam them. Make it something you research too.

Just seems like a lot of res for 3 things that can be easily defeated.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Garfu posted:

Ya let me talk to the ns2servers.com guy first, he was my teammate. He might just throw a new server up at a discount for me since the old one was free anyway.

How hard is it to run a server? I might host one just to have another good game server up and promote my site.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Any time anyone says the game is over before it is, it should just kick them. It's so terribly annoying how quickly people call game. Just play it out man, have some fun. Sheesh. Also stop yelling at people sucking on the newbie friendly servers. We suck, or we would be playing on the real servers.

Also what can blow up a mine? Anything? Can skulks do that spit thing on them? Does the bird poison gas set it off? Can fades blink through them and set them off?

I'd also like the servers to say what team is available to play before I join, I hate when I want to get a game in and the team I want to play is always full.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Mines own, but I hate when you hear them exploding and nothing dying, then a Fade walks up and kills you. Ugh.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Shady Amish Terror posted:

the position seems to attract the sort of person who will very vocally attribute every success to their brilliant stratagems while insulting everyone else on the team constantly, win or lose.

That's life, just keep hoping for a good game, they happen and they usually make up for the guy ranting non stop about who hosed up what and why things would have worked if only X.

I had some fun rounds, like when know it is over and just goof off instead of lamenting.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

DelphiAegis posted:

I really wish more exos knew you can just walk over eggs to blow them up. Stop wasting your gun heat on eggs and just stomp those motherfuckers, damnit!

I had no idea, not that I like being an exo. I usually try to dump my points if I have extra so the team won't yell at me to go EXO.

Also I need to try being commander for a bit, just to get the hang of it in case I need to jump in during a match to put up a portal and save everyone so I don't just stand there running around trying to weld things.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Well yeah, that's what I meant. Just to be able to help out, not actually command. I like zoning out and focusing on a task when I play, having to manage people would drive me bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Just for the sake of needless self-promotion, this (along with other stuff) is mentioned in my set of NS2 tutorial videos, specifically the marine one. But if you're ever actually in an exosuit in a hive and you're not stomping eggs, someone will likely point it out to you because the NS2 community is pretty good.

Yeah, your videos are great. I watch them when I can't play, good stuff.

• Locked thread