Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

honeymustard posted:

Finished the NES RGB mod on my AV Famicom... and it doesn't work. There's a slight pop (audio) from the TV when I turn it on and off, but just a black screen. The TV does think it's getting a picture though...

I guess it's time to take it apart and check every solder point? :(

edit: do you definitely only need 4 wires soldered to the board, as in the guide: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation-famicomav/ ?

Man this is way too hard to desolder. Does anyone know any modders (preferably in the UK...) who could take a look at it and try and fix it?

I don't see the ground connected. Did you use a different spot for ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

honeymustard posted:

Hmm. Connecting up ground had no affect, still no worky :(

There are two grounds on the nes rgb board. I believe one is for the audio and one is for the video. On the two installs I did (sharp twin famicom and a nes that had been modded to hell and back) I connected both. Could you take a picture of the nesrgb board? Might help us to figure out what went wrong.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

A few people have mentioned the Sega version of Snatcher and that reminded me, how much does the PAL version of Snatcher go for these days? I've got a copy I picked up for £5 years ago that was in drat good condition (it even included the spine card), but I've never really seen it for sale anywhere to judge how much it's worth.

Also, is the PAL version of Carrier on the DC really that rare? Seems to go for about £50-60 on ebay right now.

Last I checked it was right around the $250 range. I was extremely lucky to get one in a trade earlier this year.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

I bought two repros off JJJJJJJJJS 3 or 4 years ago with taped batteries. They were his original prototype carts and they're still going strong.

Do whatever works for you, it's your loving game. Just don't sell it to anyone without telling them you taped the battery.

That's because they have battery holders soldered in and the battery holder taped to the case. Just using tape works but is too finicky in the long run.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

So that was an actual Neo Geo AES? Pretty cool. Your co-worker also warned you about their staggering cost to own and collect, right?

Edit: Oh wait, I looked at some pics and it looks more like an Omega MVS. Why all the AES cartridges then? Still cool.

They're probably MVS carts in AES style shockboxes. Common thing for Neo guys to do.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
The people that I know personally who are into the VGA thing do it solely for money making reasons. Basically you find a sealed NES game and pay a few hundred to a thousand dollars or so for it. Send it and $75 off to VGA and if it comes back with a grade of 80 or higher you've just struck gold. A $500 mint condition game can and has gone for over $3K after it has been graded.

There are a small subset of collectors out there to whom money is meaningless and they just want the nicest example that exists. A couple years ago there was a guy who spent right around $40K on VGA games.

$40K. Let that number sink in and think about just how insane that is.

That $40K was what he spent on average each day for 3 months on VGA graded games. That comes to over three and a half million dollars spent in three months.

It isn't your average collector or gamer that VGA caters to. I can't think of anyone who gives a crap about VGA unless they're actively buying in hopes of landing a big payday. VGA stuff isn't something I'm interested in but I can definitely understand why some people do it.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Space Harrier posted:

So... anyone else going to Portland Retro Games Expo this weekend?

I'll be there as usual. Going to be there in a few hours to start setting up. Busy weekend ahead.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
PRGE. I bought less than usual mainly because my collection has hit the point where I'm only looking for a few things. Luckily I found some of them at the show this year! It was also great to meet a few more goons that post in this thread.

I neglected to take a picture of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I've been after that one for awhile now and I snagged it for 10 bucks.

I've heard that Home Alone is surprisingly decent on Genesis and I finally found a boxed copy for under 5 dollars. Looking forward to trying it out.

I also needed something to play it on. I suppose a Laseractive will do in a pinch. This completes my US Genesis console variant collection and I've been after one for about a decade. I've seen a few of them but I've never been willing to pay the price that these typically go for. Fortunately the seller was feeling very generous and the console has a small crack in the side so he sold it to me for a price that I was more than happy to pay.

All in all it was an awesome weekend and I'll look forward to doing it again in another year.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Been playing the original Clocktower. Having fun with it but drat you move super slow. Don't think I'll be racking up all the endings on this one.

It's almost required that you double tap to run if you want to save your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Kodilynn posted:

What's the recommended 3DO model with the least amount of issues? I've heard arguments for the FZ-1 vs. the FZ-10 and I'm kinda curious which is better, so to speak.

I always recommend the FZ-10 unless you just have to have the aesthetics of the FZ-1. There's no motorized disk tray and it has an internal memory manager plus 100% game compatibility.

The FZ-1 is a good choice but as mentioned earlier the lack of an internal memory manager hurts it and I'm personally not a fan of motorized disk trays. I've fixed so many of them that I'm kind of sick of dealing with disk trays.

The Goldstar is the comedy option. It's typically more expensive, some games don't work properly, the entire disk tray, motor and laser assembly are one piece that slides out and is attached to the main board by a cable that loves to wiggle loose over time and the laser is the same one that's used in a CDX which is near impossible to get a replacement for in the wild.

I've got a Goldstar, an FZ-1 and 2 FZ-10 decks. The FZ-10 consoles are the only ones that I've not had to open up at some point.

• Locked thread