Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you don't count the time Skittles made an action RPG game, then sure.

Chexquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That makes ChexQuest even weirder. They invented a dude wearing a Chex as armor who pretended to be Doomguy. That game is weird.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nintendo Kid posted:

The other characters were also other cereals produced by the same company. You saw them mostly in the intro FMV.

I haven't played Chexquest in probably fifteen years, so I'll take your word for it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm sitting here refershing my email every five minutes hoping for a shipping notification from RHS. Before yesterday I was content with buying a couple old games and an SP on eBay, now I'm saving money to buy an Everdrive GameBoy. What have you fuckers done to me?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nothing the Gunpla thread didn't do already :v:.

I'm taking a break from buying those, too! Once the other kit I ordered off HLJ that was out of stock gets restocked, I'm on pause for a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Discount Viscount posted:

Dickeye, play Ninja Five-O. Actually that's a GBA game and I guess out of the Everdrive GB's purview, but if you get a GBA flashcart then play Ninja Five-O.

That's what the order from RHS is duder. I'll put it on the list of things to play.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Look at this list of games that some dude made that he wants to play http://imgur.com/FPWHzkb what's he missing?

edit Don't say Pokemon, that's covered.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ChaosArgate posted:

I really need to ask why Battle Network 4 is on the list but not Battle Network 5.

Because even as a kid I loving hated MMBN turning into a tactics game. Also because I had Version Colonel. You know how lovely Colonel's LinkUp or whatever is? loving awful. Garbage. gently caress that game.

(2 and 6 are my favorites)

Phantasium posted:

The other two GBA Castlevanias, for starters.

I had heard they were far inferior to Aria.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 4, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Allen Wren posted:

The Beckham soccer platformer.

Wait

What

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Why does this exist

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The post office lost my package. My package was an EZ Flash IV from RealHotStuff. What are the odds they'll send me another one and I'm not just out forty bucks?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sizone posted:

If it went out priority then it's automatically ensured for 50$.

It did not.

I'm mostly just hoping they aren't going to tell me to piss up a rope about it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I decided to just suck it up and buy another flashcart. If the mail turns mine up, I'll return it and get my money back. If not, gently caress it, I have a flash cart.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any slightly cheaper alternatives to an everdrive gameboy that aren't horrible?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cloks posted:

That's something a woman would say. Did you know that all women are a creative void that suck the spirits of men into hell?

Seriously though, you can pretty much chart him going nuts through Cerebus.

He did an interview with the AV Club in the last year or so via fax. That's all you've relaly got to say about Dave Sim.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tyson Tomko posted:

This is several days old, but definitely get in touch with RHS. When I originally ordered my R4DS a year or so back I got the dreaded post office empty envelope "we lost this but can't do anything about it, sorry bro" paper. I shot them an email, never got a response, but a couple of weeks later received another one from RHS.

I already did. Their response was basically "lol you didn't insure, piss up a rope" and I had already said gently caress it and just ordered another one and paid an extra ten bucks for FedEx because my post office can blow me. After I pointed out that a random dude on eBay provides better customer support (the guy I ordered the SP from has said that if my thing doesn't turn up soon, since the tracking hasn't updated in over a week, he'll send me another one [which I also told him I would pony up for non-USPS shipping because again gently caress my post office]) they told me that had a one-time retroactive insurance thing where they'd resend it if I gave them more money. I will never order from RHS again if at all possible, much like I will never trust a package to the USPS as long as I'm living in this apartment.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatpat268 posted:

If your post office is as bad as you claim, then you need to make an official complaint about it. It's one thing to have a damaged package once in a blue moon because poo poo happens (or people don't know how to pack), but if you're losing or receiving damaged packages on a regular basis, make a complaint about it.

This is the first one that I know my local post office has lost, the SP is just somewhere in a black hole between Flushing and Charlotte, but I've had other issues with my post office. For example, not delivering my mail for three weeks and causing my credit cards to be put on hold because my bank statement was marked undeliverable, all because they decided that nobody was living at the address where mail was being picked up every day for three months. They're also a bunch of rude motherfuckers, as detailed in my rantings in IRC, and I refuse to deal with them any more than I absolutely have to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

d0s posted:

dickeye, didn't you spend like an entire day calling them repeatedly until you got yelled at

They started off being rude yelly motherfuckers and when that's your startpoint I don't feel bad about hassling you, especially since this is just the latest issue I'm having with your post office. Like the actual first person I talked to kept interrupting me and when I finally went "hey can I finish talking please" told me "no" like I had just asked her to eat a bowl of poo poo.

Still haven't gotten a call back explaining why they stopped delivering my mail, by the way, and that was a month ago.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just got my EZ Flash IV and now I am softly wooting IRL. I vaguely remember one of you nerds in IRC telling me about patching Final Fantasy IV, what patch is this and how big of a deal is it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Things I have learned in the last 12 hours:

1) Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is super good
2) I have to be hella careful playing it because I can lose all track of time and wake up and find out it's been an hour and have no idea. Game's great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

There is no need to patch FFIV to play the GBA port. Unless you meant patching the ROMs for the EZ Flash so they save properly?

No, I know about that, I had a folder of patched ROMs before the cart even got here. Someone told me about needing a patch or that I needed ot get a particular region's copy of FFIV or something along those lines. I just don't remember what it is.

univbee posted:

Otherwise FF4 GBA has no meaningful patches to speak of, although a double-turn bug is I think partially resolved in the European version (the one with EFIGS language options). T

I think this is it actually.

Can I download themes for the EZF4 that aren't this stupid rear end star wars thing?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you sell off that GBC I call dibs. Also if you have a few cases for the actual cartridges, further dibs.
edit gently caress I want that Donkey Kong Land too, my copy is lost to the sands of time and it was one of the first games I ever got.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 10, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

flyboi posted:

It works great, if you have a list of gameboy games you want to play it's worth it. I think the only major compatibility issues is lack of RTC for Pokeymans Silver and not having 256k save support for that music mixing app that hipster musicians use.

Pretty sure there's patches for the RTC for G/S/C, I know one of the people in IRC hooked me up with a whole folder of patches the other day.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I need to fix the trigger button on a GBA SP. I already have the screwdriver on the way, but assuming it's an issue with the rubber contact and not just goop, how do I fix it? Do I need a new little piece of rubber? Can I jam something in there to make it work? What do I do I am scared and bad at electronics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear retro thread I'm going to play all of the main series Final Fanrasy games up to X and X-2 mostly because I have a vita and they're all on PSN. I'm starting with IX because I bought it before I decided to do this. Help me determine the order I play them in. Love Dickeye.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crimson Harvest posted:

For 1, 2, and 4 make sure to play the PSP versions, and not the PSX versions.

It's whatever version is on the PSN.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, but there are multiple versions of FF1, FF2 and FF4 on PSN. I don't necessarily agree with the notion that you have to play the PSP versions of 1 and 2 (FF Origins was the only non-lovely PS1 FF port in retrospect, though the PSP versions are pretty good) but you definitely want the Complete Collection version of 4.

Complete Collection IV is the one on the store, so we're golden.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the tool you use to patch save files for GBA roms for flash carts? In the two months since I got mine I've completely forgotten what I used.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ever since I got a PSP I've had to fight the urge to buy up all the UMDs I can find that I'm remotely interested in, because it's such a doofy format and I love it dearly. Like, I've started playing the Legends of Heroes games, and they're great! I would like to own them!

But poo poo

This was a dumb hobby to get into, at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Really, that should be the thread motto.

Mods change the title

Retrogames: This was a dumb hobby to get into, at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I used ot have some patches for the Gen 1/2/3 pokemon games but I lost them. I'm mostly looking for complete pokedex stuff and the patches for the clocks in the gen 2/3 stuff. Anybody know of anything?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys I just started Mother for the first time and I don't know what the gently caress is happening here

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I turned my wii on today and for some reason it continuously scrolls to the left. I can't change screens on the home menu because when I click the little arrow it just flicks back instantly. What the gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RodShaft posted:

Woah. Is it hated here? Cause granted, I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's goddamned magical.

The whole book is a guy going REMEMBER THING THING WAS GREAT gently caress YEAH 80S and then a curvy goonette girlfriend and then it ends. It sucks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's a line in his new book that (probably paraphrasing a little) goes "I nodded. Not in agreement, but just to acknowledge that I understood the reference" and I feel like that sums up Clines oeuvre fairly well

Also his new book is literally a teenagers rebuttal to his parents telling him to do something useful instead of just playing games all the time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
dear retro nerds i suddenly have a massive hankering to play commander keen: goodbye galaxy. is there a way for me to play this on a portable device, such as a playstation, made by sony, that is portable

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear retro thread what is the easiest way to have multiple consoles hooked up short of swapping out component/composite/audio cables constantly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
where can i get cases for original ds games and where can i get art for those cases? i have a bunch of games that i lost the boxes to that i'd like to be able to shelve

related, game boy/color/advance games: how do i shelve them so they look good? i want to show off my pokeymans.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 6, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Instant Sunrise posted:

You can buy new cases directly from Nintendo here: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat10120

And as for covers, there's The Cover Project which has a bunch of cover scans.

dope

as for gb/gbc/gba, i found this site https://www.retrogamecases.com/ which if you don't mind :retrogames: looks alright. ds sized cases with high quality repro art already modded to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Housh posted:

I just started playing Pokemon Red and it's my first Pokemon game. I was never interested in JRPGs as a kid but ever since I played and enjoyed South Park: Stick of Truth, I decided to give them a shot. I'm enjoying Pokemon Red a lot even though it's babby's first JRPG but what would you recommend I play after this?

i wouldn't even recommend playing pokemon r/b as your first pokemon game, let alone jrpg, to anyone who didn't grow up playing it. they've been doing remakes of the older generations that are much better. Heart Gold/Soul Silver is the best because your pokemon follows you and the menu takes full advantge of the DS's touch screen

if you're going to finish it though, just play the series in order and maybe do the remakes as you come to them for an hour or two just to marvel at how much better r/b is with the quality of life improvements up to that point

• Locked thread