Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I got intrigued, so I checked on VRC7 and Lagrange Point.
Turns out it's the one and only cart to use it.

I bought it new back then and played through, but it really paled in comparison to contemporaries like FF3 and DQ3.
Coming nearly half a year after SFC's release didn't help.
I met its director and complained about the terrible save spot placements. (I was utterly fearless--read "rude"--as EGM's foreign correspondent back then.)
I remember it as having a taller cassette like HAL's Metal Slader Glory (I think), Nintendo's Yakuman Tengoku (mah jong), and Enix's Just Breed (...nice name, came out fully two year after SFC's release when DQV and FFV were out/around the corner so it naturally bombed, it also sucked). I'm not sure if these taller carts had any special chips in them other than larger capacity, though.

Metal Slader Glory and Just Breed both use the MMC5 chip, no idea about Yakuman. It's the same chip used in the NES version of Castlevania 3, but I can't think of any other NES games that used it offhand. (The Famicom version of CV3 used Konami's VRC6 chip which was essentially the same thing but with a couple extra audio channels, hence the nicer music.)

I never did play Just Breed, but I seem to remember it being one of those games that fell way behind schedule and took years and years to come out. No wonder it flopped.

EDIT: RE: Lagrange Point and the stupid-looking monsters, I heard that the game was developed as part of a promotion for some gaming magazine, with a lot of the content decided via reader's poll.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only ones I can think of are HOTD2, Confidential Mission and the version of Virtua Cop that's on the Smash Pack disc or some other compilations, which makes me wonder why there were so many third-party lightgun peripherals to begin with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Orange Mage posted:

Also, any Goon recommendations on shmups for Genesis/MegaDrive?

Bit late, but:

M.U.S.H.A.
Thunder Force 2/3/4
Slap Fight
Eliminate Down
Gynoug
Gleylancer
Elemental Master

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random request, but I remember seeing some rom-hacking talk 589430859430 pages ago, so here goes: would anyone be interested in helping implement a VWF for a certain SFC game? If so, quote the post and add an email addy or whatever (I don't have PMs) and we can talk more.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Sorry but what's VWF?

Variable-width font. Most Japanese games are programmed so that every character takes up the same amount of space on the screen, so by hacking in a variable-width font you can push certain English letters closer together in order to squeeze in a few extra characters per line.

In regards to this particular game, there's both a limit on the number of characters that can be displayed per line and a bug that'll crash the game if any of the characters extend past the text box, which is a massive pain in the arse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There have been recent leaks/rumours that suggest Sega/M2's next Vintage Collection release is gonna contain Castle of Illusion, Quackshot and World of Illusion, and will be available on Steam as well as XBLA/PSN/Wii U eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Unmature posted:

A few weeks ago I would have thrown acid in your face for such a lie. But after the Duck Tales announcement I could actually see this happening.

Castle of Illusion has recently showed up on various ratings boards, achievements for all three games were found in the Steam registry, I think someone even found a packshot on some Xbox site. I can't guarantee that they'll be available as a bundle, or that they'll all be released at the same time, but they're definitely coming.

Then again, Skies of Arcadia HD and Shenmue HD were supposed to be a sure thing, too...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those of you who were talking about Castle of Illusion a few pages back - Sega uploaded this video today, and while it doesn't explicitly mention Castle of Illusion the teaser seems pretty straightforward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDm48hbH0E

I guess it's gonna be a remake after all, and not an emulation? I wonder who's making it... hopefully not the dudes who did Power of Illusion for 3DS, ugh.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega was gonna permanently rebrand the Puyo series as a Sonic spinoff on one of the anniversaries (15th, I think) but at the last moment they scrapped that idea and decided to never release another new Puyo game outside of Japan instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wasn't Fever after that? Because that had a western release. On some platforms, anyway.

Nah, Fever was from around '04/'05, 15th was '06/'07.

Maybe there's been an international iOS release since then, I don't know, I don't follow any of that stuff. Whatever, Puyo and Chu Chu Rocket should be ported to every platform in existence, from now until the end of time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I think the Wii version has some "secret" waggle sword moves or something too, doesn't it?

Doug Dinsdale posted:

For example, Wario's Woods was only released on FC in Japan, and subsequently only on SNES overseas.

Two different versions of Wario's Woods were released for Satellaview - the first was called "Wario's Woods: Burst of Laughter Version" (ワリオの森 爆笑バージョン) and replaced most of the Mario-style characters from the SNES game with caricatures of Japanese comedians:

The second was called "Wario's Woods Again" (ワリオの森 再び) and was much closer to the original SNES game; apparently the Burst of Laughter version was so popular that they figured they could get away with releasing the original, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega finally announced their Castle of Illusion plans - it's a full-on remake a la Ducktales, not a re-release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oib9CW-W0Zw

Developed by Sega Studios Australia in conjunction with Disney Interactive (apparently the director of the original game works there now?), out for X360, PS3 and PC "this summer".

EDIT: screens

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 16, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Who are being shuttered at the end of the year. I bet that feels good for the team.

They're separate from Creative Assembly Brisbane, yeah? I know those guys pulled double duty as Sega Australia, but I don't know anything about Sega Studios Australia at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Apparently CAB got renamed to Sega Studios Australia, so.. umm..

:saddowns:

I wonder what it is about Australian game development that makes the studios so.. volatile. I mean, Probe died ages back (and deserved it), but Team Bondi, SSA.. the only one that hasn't up and imploded yet is probably Halfbrick.

Oh, crap.

I figured it was partly due to the $AUD being so high and partly due to the fact that most of the big studios like Krome or whatever generally worked on licensed/shovelware crap, so when the shovelware market started to wane these studios couldn't afford to stay open.

Apparently a lot of the Team Bondi dudes ended up at Animal Logic (George Miller's film studio) and are going to be working on some open-world game about British colonialism in China or something? It sounded like a complete load of wank and another scam from Brendan Macnamara, but what do I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

superh posted:

A coworker and I have been trying to figure this out - its got Roger Dean, it's got a very Psygnosis logo (which, I guess means a very Roger Dean logo) but its made by BPS software, (varyingly Bullet Proof Software or Blue Planet Software) which doesn't seem to have any real link to Psygnosis.

I think the cover art is actually called Freyjas Castle - so if it wasn't made for Black Onyx I guess it could be a Roger Dean inspired game?

BPS is Bullet Proof Software a.k.a Henk Rogers, the guy who would later break Tetris on Game Boy with Alexey Pajitnov.

The original Black Onyx was released in 1984 for PC-88 and created solely by Henk Rogers, but the NES remake (Super Black Onyx) features a logo and cover art designed by Roger Dean. I can't imagine Rogers was inspired by Psygnosis, given that he'd been living in Japan since the late 70's, but I don't really know for sure.

They've worked together on a few things since, including some other unreleased Black Onyx project in the mid-90's that looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_tmeo8MPK4

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Is that Wario in the top-right corner holding a taco?

More to the point, why isn't Wario drawn holding a taco in every piece of promo art?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Code Jockey posted:

Holy poo poo this only tangentially related to this thread but I just popped open Steam and there's a new Shadowrun game coming out in June, and it looks just like the SNES Shadowrun but prettier. And it's looking to be like $20, too, and it has ridiculously low system requirements to boot [yay my broke-rear end PC can run it!].

It's also set in Seattle, which is awesome.

I am very excited. SNES Shadowrun is one of my favorites on the platform, and I've got a stack of Shadowrun pen and paper sourcebooks because I keep trying to get a thing started with my local nerd friends.

e. and the soundtrack is being done by the people behind the original game soundtracks too, holy dickens :allears: deluxe pack comes with the soundtrack and some short stories, gonna buy that deluxe pack

e2. Now that I think about it, I think I do remember hearing something about this a long time ago, I must've totally forgotten about it until now

I think they said they'd be adding content that directly ties into both the SNES and Sega Shadowrun games, too. (Maybe that was a stretch goal or something, I forget.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There were more Super Dodgeball games!? I need these, badly.

There are a whole bunch of 'em, as well as soccer, basketball, athletics, etc. They're part of the "Kunio-kun" universe which also includes games like River City Ransom and Renegade.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo still owns the company that did Metroid Prime Pinball, as far as I know. No idea why they never cranked out another Pokemon Pinball.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

has anyone here actually played Pier Solar? Does it own as much as I think it does or is the mystique for nothing?

Pier Solar is the Megadrive's answer to Beyond the Beyond. I'll let you decide whether or not that makes it worth playing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

I also can't believe that Neo Geo ad talked down to itself by mentioning the price. "Are we six times the cost of the competition? Is our target audience six times older than 99% of the people reading this magazine? Sure, but... hey, wait a minute! Where are you guys going?!"

e: What are they even comparing it to? I'm pretty sure the Genesis was more capable than the PC Engine unless they're comparing it to Master System. Does that mean "Nintendo" is an NES? What the gently caress?

e2: They got the sprites swapped for "Sega" and "NEC." The colors are kind of right but they just made poo poo up for the sound channels.

This is from pages back, and I've probably posted this a thousand times already, but some kid wrote a letter to SNK disputing their advertising claims and got a reply from Chad Okada, GAME LORD:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

Will somebody reccomended some super famicom games to me? I have no clue where to even start.

Possibly a stupid question, but, is the language barrier gonna be an issue?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I don't care that this game sucks arse, I have to own it, just for the box art.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wow, that Expansion Pack thing is crazy. I wonder if Rare ended up making any profit on DK64 at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I could be wrong, but, doesn't the skeleton ferryman in Secret of Evermore refuse to take you across the desert if you've given your character a profane name?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: I'm out

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 31, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

midge posted:

All the Aus goons already have Santas. Your Santa will probably be in the USA. Let me know if you want to be removed ASAP.

gently caress. Okay, yeah, take me off.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ineffiable posted:

What's that game in the top right?

Grind Stormer a.k.a V-5, a Toaplan game and one of the better vertical shooters available for Megadrive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Game Boy Camera is a must-have.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quiet Feet posted:

Kickmaster is a really awesome side scrolling action game that was largely ignored because (I assume) it came out a few months after the SNES did. I loved it but only ever managed to play it once or twice as the local video store sold off its NES stock not too long after, and for some reason I could not find a copy of the drat thing anywhere. To this day I still don't know anyone who's ever played it.

Kick Master is one of those Ken Lobb-produced games, so you can't claim to have truly beaten it until you've looped it five times and discovered all of Ken's hidden messages.

Also worth pointing out: the programmer on this game was a guy named Shinobu Yagawa who would go on to design a lot of influential STGs, most famously Battle Garegga.

Random Stranger posted:

Now I just need to figure out what GameGear games are worth getting. Besides Ganbare, Gorby! of course.

The list of decent exclusive GG games is quite small. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Sonic Triple Trouble (least crappy of the 8-bit Sonic games)
Tails' Adventure (action/adventure starring Tails)
GG Shinobi/GG Shinobi 2
Defenders of Oasis (decent JRPG, ridiculously easy)
Shining Force 2: Sword of Hajya (also available as part of SFCD)
Crystal Warriors (SF-esque SRPG, not too bad)
Power Strike II (a.k.a. GG Aleste 2, it's like MUSHA in your pocket! Not to be confused with Power Strike 2 SMS which is a different game)

JP-only games:
Various Puyo games (including Nazo Puyo)
GG Aleste
Royal Stone (improved sequel to Crystal Warriors)
Sylvan Tale
Shin Megami Tensei: Last Bible Special
Moldorian
Lunar Gaiden
Shining Force GG 1 (also available as part of SFCD)
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict

Then there's stuff that available on other platforms, like Vampire: Master of Darkness, Dragon Crystal, Wonder Boy 3: Dragon's Trap, Ristar, Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quiet Feet posted:

That's funny because Low G Man is also an unheralded favorite and I've always thought that the two games had a similar feel. I'd never heard of the guy, but I do remember that the password to start Low G Man with 8 lives is LOBB.

Low G Man, one or two of the GI Joe games, Burai Fighter and Kick Master were all developed by a Japanese studio called KID for a publisher called Naxat/Taxan, which is where Ken Lobb worked at the time. You can see his fingerprints all over a bunch of games from that era, either as "Ken Lobb" or "KAL".

Ken Lobb ended up working for NOA as a producer for a while, particularly in conjunction with Rareware (the "Klobb" in Goldeneye is named after him). He moved over to Microsoft after the Rare sale and his name shows up in the credits for a ton of X360 games but I'm not sure what he actually does these days.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Also Ninja Gaiden for GG is pretty cool despite being wildly different from the NES version (Sega got the rights to the title and characters and they basically just made their own game)

Two of em, actually - there's a SMS Ninja Gaiden that's different to the GG game, too.

They were also working on a Megadrive sequel to the Ninja Gaiden arcade game; it was never completed but the beta ROM's not hard to find.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

That loving Sned posted:

Tails' Adventure is actually a metroidvania, and has very impressive visuals for the system. It looks like a Genesis game with slightly smaller sprites.

Not every game with a key-and-lock progression system is a metroidvania.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hasseltkoffie posted:

Anything here not worth getting?

Akumajo Dracula X: Chi No Rondo is a PCE-CD game - there's a SFC game loosely based on Rondo (the JP version is called Akumajou Dracula XX, I think) but it's terrible, don't waste your money.

Rendering Ranger R2 is one of the rarest SFC games around and I would be very surprised if you find a copy for a reasonable price.

M.U.S.H.A. is a Mega Drive game, not a SNES game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Anatidaephobia posted:

Could anyone suggest some must-own GBA games for me to throw up on my wish list?

Putting aside all the typical first/third-party stuff, you want Ninja Five-O / Ninja Cop, Drill Dozer, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Rebelstar: Tactical Command and Crazy Frog Racer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ninja Five-O isn't particularly pretty and it's way too short but it's definitely not clunky - all your moves are really quick and tight, and you can blaze through pretty much every stage without stopping once you've established a path.

There are a bunch of games you should get before you shell out the cash for Ninja - the Mega Man Zero games, the Castlevanias, all the usual stuff - but I don't think its reputation is undeserved.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't imagine anyone would ever go out of their way to buy a Mega Drive sports bundle, but what do I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I kinda wanna sit down with my closet full of unsellable Sega sports games one day and play through 'em all until I've determined the ultimate game for each sport (excluding all the over-the-top stuff like NBA Jam or Mutant League Football or whatever) and then post my findings online, so the internet can feel assured in the decision to destroy all the others forever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

absolutely anything posted:

Are you seriously saying SoR3 has a good soundtrack because whaaaaaaat

Like I'm willing to accept that there are some weirdos out there who think it's a good game (it's not) but I don't think I've ever known anyone who had good things to say about the music until right now

Sup. SOR3 music owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, I think Fist of the North Star has more terrible games based on it than any other property.

The Simpsons. Seriously, it never loving ends. Even the more recent games that people say are good are pretty bad.

HnK got the awesome fighting game by Arc System Works, and while I haven't played the Ken's Rage games I imagine they're okay, given that they're basically just Dynasty Warriors/Musou reskins.

EDIT: oh, and the Konami arcade game with the swinging punch pads! International version is called Fighting Mania, I think:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 29, 2013

• Locked thread