Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lunaris posted:

My biggest issue right now though is the length of the NES/SNES/Genesis controllers are way too short, I have to move my couch up, and while that isn't too terrible, I'd rather not do that every time I wanted to play something. Can anyone recommend some decent controller cable extensions?

I just use these:
http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-BRAND-Super-Nintendo-SNES/dp/B002GCDLLK
http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-RETROBIT-Sega-Genesis/dp/B000E31QEC
http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-BRAND-Original-Nintendo/dp/B000NO4X10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Have you tried using the Sega Genesis extension cord on an Atari?

Yes, I use it with my Atari 7800 and it works fine! Really though all that matters for these cables is
1) Plugs fit the console in question
2) Wires inside won't break after a while
3) Cheap

Edit: speaking of the 7800 where can i get a 7800 flashcart? I already have the Harmony cartridge for the 2600 which kicks rear end majorly but would love to be able to play some 7800 mode games too!

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 18, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

Whenever I want to feel better about myself I search VGA in video games and offer $20 to all the retarded listings for stuff that shouldn't have ever been graded

Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Sony-Playstation-3-2010-BLACK-LABEL-NEW-VGA-90-GOLD-/230903765355

Jesus christ you can still get that on the shelf of any Gamestop in the country.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

I want them to point out the 10% of damage on that game that drops it down from 100.

They paid for the $25 "standard tier" grading service instead of the $70 "archival tier" grading service.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

Sad days... I rewired my EEPROM burner because I got some new pin headers in the mail today and it works great, have no issues flashing anything

...Super Demo World The Legend Continues is 64Mbit which means impossible to put on a reproduction card as far as I know

Don't a lot of SNES romhacks only work on some emulators, and not the actual hardware or BSNES because they rely on emulation inaccuracies? I seem to recall that being especially a problem for Super Mario World romhacks with custom music.

h_double posted:

The early 80s were really a golden age for lovely controllers though. I don't know how anybody ever thought the wobbly analog stick on the 5200 was a good idea, but then again its competition was the likes of the Colecovision

I will never truly understand why hardware developers thought having telephone keypads was good idea for game controllers, nor why it had to take till 1983 for anyone to figure out the d-pad + buttons design for a controller.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cosmicjim posted:

If you get it from gamestop will it actually be unopened?

Exactly as much verification as the video game rating authority guys make though.

h_double posted:

I actually liked the keypad controller for the Intellivision, which had a good number of strategy games which used the keypad to good effect, like instantly selecting different units in Sea Battle, or secretly calling plays in football. Also keep in mind that in the early 80s, it was non-trivial for consoles to display more than a line or two of text at a time (due to limits of both resolution and video memory), so it wasn't very practical to select stuff with onscreen menus or help messages. Complexity got offloaded to the controller because the console hardware itself wasn't sophisticated enough.

The 5200 and Colecovision, on the other hand, hardly had any games that justified the keypad. It also amazes me that they had the keypad input, but still only a single action button. Arcade games had good controls since day one, it's weird it took home systems to get a point where controllers were consistently decent.

Oh I know all about that, I have a pretty decent Intellivision collection. But most of the games would be way better served by some form of high button count gamepad such as an original playstation controller (before they added the dual analogs).

Also modern consoles need paddle controllers dammit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

Early consoles were meant to emulate the arcade experience at home, so I see why they all used joysticks for a long time. The keypads were always dumb though. It's like every console manufacturer saw the how the 2600 was held back by only having one button and decided to over-compensate.

Yeah the telephone keypad thing is just so awful, and it never really went well with the joystick or disc controls also attached to them. The first ones like the 2600 having a joystick made sense, but god drat, these latter second generation controller are just so drat uncomfortable. Here's a rectangle or slightly tapered rectangle with half the surface covered by a crappy membrane keypad, some crappy side action buttons, and an uncomfortable directional control. Have fun kids!

Here's probably the worst:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's the need for reproduction controllers anyway? There's tons of cheap genuine official controllers out there, as well as all the good third party controllers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cicero posted:

The bits in them (mostly the rubber parts) slowly break down and become mushy.

Yeah but there's millions more controllers in fine condition out there. Personally for SNES I stick to my InterAct Superpad, and for NES I just have a bunch of original rectangle and later dogbone controllers around that work fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

h_double posted:

Agreed, though back in the day I think a lot of people would have scoffed at, or been intimidated by, being faced with a 12-button controller when all they wanted was to kick back in their wood paneled basement for a relaxing game of Car Driver or Gun Shooter.

And of course, when somebody DID try to make a controller with lots of buttons, it resulted in things like the Coleco Super Action Controller (which even had a spinner):

Intellivision controllers have 16 buttons (though the top 2 side action buttons are actually the same signal so really 15 buttons), Atari 5200 controllers have 19 buttons... and then yeah the Super Action Controllers have 16 and the spinner bullshit too.

They just loaded those shits up with buttons without any concept of ergonomics.

Speaking of weird controllers though:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

h_double posted:

I guess my point is that with a keypad + overlay, you didn't have to memorize all those controls.

Lack of ergonomics was a big part of it, it probably also took a while for game designers to figure out how to make games that used all those inputs. The crazy thing about the 5200 is it had that horrible controller, yet probably 90%+ games on the system were simple arcade ports with a joystick + single fire button.

lollin at "joystick simulator".

They could have made overlays that slipped over a gamepad form factor too :colbert:

It's touchpad that simulates buttons and joystick. :v: I actually have one, it works very well for a lot of games too. I think they also made them for Colecovision.

Orbital Smash posted:

Do they seriously charge more money to evaluate expensive games? I thought you paid for an appraiser's time/expertise rather than what was actually being appraised.

I mean, is rent really that steep on their super secret island fortress grading facility or something?

I don't think they explicitly do it but you have to wonder...

Especially since all they do is look at a box and see if its unopened. I don't think they really need that much extra money for the higher tiers...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rodney the Piper posted:

Why have GameCube games practically doubled in price over the last 3-4 years? Is this something that I should expect to reverse? What the poo poo?

Might have to do with Gamestop no longer accepting Gamecube trade-ins since April 2012, so there's less availability of used Gamecube games out there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

The Gamecube library definetly wasn't as good or as vast as the Playstation 2's or even it's precursors(SNES,N64) or sucessor(Wii). It's got nothing to do with raging against Nintendo, especialy when I have the system in question with a decent selection of games. It's even mentioned by Nintendo that the Gamecube did not do as well as their previous and future systems.

Yeah the GameCube has 646 games, the Xbox 1 has 968 games and the Playstation 2 has 2,016 games.

However, the N64 only has 387 games, so you're wrong there on the N64 having more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah I thought the N64 definetly had more than that, my mistake. However the N64 and Wii did have more second and third party support than what the Gamecube had. You had many of the Rareware games that were atleast 6-7 good solid games that still hold up today and then stuff like OoT and Majora's Mask. The Wii got a load of more nitche titles like Fragile Dreams, Dragon's Lair, Rune Facotry, and certainly had alot more of certain generes that went under represented on the N64 and Gamecube. You really can't hate on Xenoblade Chronicles, it really stands on on being the best console RPG released last generation.

The GameCube has a lot of third party support compared to the N64, it's just that it's crap! Out of 646 GameCube titles, 63 were published by Nintendo - that's 9.8%. On N64 out of 387 titles Nintendo published 53 of them - 16.7%. It is however true that the Wii had more third party support - Nintendo only published 76 out of 1220 titles for 6.2% of the library.

I think you're simply misremembering the N64. It had the lowest proportional third party support of any Nintendo system besides the Virtual Boy (which was 50% Nintendo published games).

The Joe Man posted:

Can you guys help me identify what this is supposed to attach onto?

There's no company name or number or anything on it, and I know it never fit right on my Game Gear or Nomad. Got it from a neighbor kid like 20 years ago and it's just moved with all my other stuff since.

The probably could go with a TurboExpress. The rounded parts where it attaches only seem to match the TurboExpress, and not either version of the Lynx and of course not a Game Boy of any kind.

There could also be a very small chance of it going with a Gamate I suppose, but that's very unlikely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RVWinkle posted:

That ain't no Turbo Express attachment and likely not any kind of video game relate peripheral mainly because almost every hand held accepts carts from the top.

I had a real cheapo light+magnifier thing for my Game Boy Color as a kid that made it impossible to change cartridges without taking the device off the top first. I wouldn't have been surprised to see one like that for other handhelds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StellarX posted:

This talk about the gamecube and n64 libraries has made me realize that it may have been kinda silly to get a Everdrive 64 considering the three games I actually want to play, I already own. (the two Zelda games and Mario 64).

What were some of the other decent games in the n64 library that were worth playing?

Haha this is how I ended up feeling after I got my N64 flashcart (though it wasn't a nice SD or CompactFlash based one). I already own pretty much all the N64 games I wanted to play.

I really like Battletanx and Battletanx Global Assault, even though they probably aren't objectively good games. BattleTanx is N64 exclusive (besides the Game Boy Color version but that's not really the same game) and BattleTanx: Global Assault is on both N64 and PSX but the N64 version is better. They're also generally available dirt cheap. Play them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

InvadErGII posted:

Even that many seems high, at least in North America. NintendoAge puts the total at 296. Unless that's an incomplete list?

The numbers I gave are for worldwide, yeah. For the N64 "Of the console's 387 official releases, 84 were exclusive to Japan, 50 to North America, and 4 to Europe". And then three games only available in Japan and Europe: Air Boarder 64, Centre Court Tennis/Let's Smash, and Rakugakids.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 20, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Douche Bag posted:

Is it worth buying a Dreamcast? It doesn't seem like it was out long enough to build up a decent library and after looking through some of the games it seems like a lot were ports.

It's dirt cheap and so are the games. Also I'm just gonna point out that it has 700 released titles, that's more than the GameCube, N64, or Saturn. It's also only 72 fewer games than the PS3.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

h_double posted:

Frequently the DC versions of multi-platform games are considered the definitive versions (e.g. Tony Hawk 2 for Dreamcast is IMO the best Tony Hawk game period).

Yeah it helps that most of the Dreamcast's life came before the PS2/GameCube/Xbox. Unquestionably better hardware than the Playstation and N64, so pretty much all the ports look and play best on Dreamcast.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Speaking of VMUs I didn't realise that some games like 7th Cross Evolution take up an entire card. Is that the only game that does that or are there others?

There's a lot that take up a lot of space. But VMUs are pretty cheap, and there are larger and third party memory cards out there, as well as each controller being able to hold two cards at once

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ACID POLICE posted:

Animal Crossing also came with its own memory card, though. Or was that only with early releases of it?

All North American copies came with the free memory card with Animal Crossing label.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sexy Slippers posted:

Also didn't it come with some bonus items if you bought it brand new? Nothing great if I remember correctly but still kinda cool.

The first save on the memory card straight off the shelf got to have two random NES games from the start of the game instead of earning them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StellarX posted:

It is pretty crazy that a staple of the SNES library will never be released in any other format due to silly music rights issues. What I don't get really is why the music wasn't an issue when the game was originally released. I wonder if any other games have similar issues plaguing re-release attempts.

They didn't think it was an issue at the time, but it turned out to be. That tends to happen when you're "borrowing" a lot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's weird that it jumped up again because it was going for the sane price of $15-$25 for cartridge only 2 or 3 years ago after having been around $100 for a while.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

There are people out there who own hundreds of EarthBound copies. They think they're worth more than a bar of gold and intend on hoarding them for when the Zombie Apocalypse comes and they'll make it out on top because they traded them all for solid gold katanas.

Yeah but I assumed they had already bought them all up back before like 2009 or so when the prices dropped. I still have an Earthbound cartridge around somewhere I think, I guess it's time to sell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Earthbound is not worth the effort of making it possible to sell again outside Japan. Sorry, but that's unlikely to change any time soon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

Then why do they keep including the characters in their other games? :catstare:

Because Mother is an ongoing property in Japan and they'd have to actively remove the characters in other regions otherwise?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

But we're not exactly talking about a great deal of money to even make a digital download version with zero physical copies. Despite the cost of whatever song issues there are, they pale in comparison to making an HD remake of a game. When you have other companies like Sega doing ones like Jet Grind/Set Radio and Nights(both of which sold less copies than Earthbound in America) it really does beg the question. Especialy since they just released another Fire Emblem game which is an RPG, there would have to be atleast some crossover in sales since they are of a similar genre. That and there's the whole thing about Xenoblade being a big deal for the Wii. The RPG crowd is who these games appeal too and they tend to do well.

You can whine all you want but Nintendo would have to do a non-trivial amount of work to either license the music or change the music and rewrite all the copy protection routines in the ROM in order to make it work. They HAVE to do one of those two things in order to legally sell it in the US and Europe, they can't just toss it up on Virtual Console.

Also Jet Grind Radio and Nights have minimal and zero rights issues respectively. And are both much better games to be quite honest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

But Jet Grind Radio had to re-licence music for that release(they had all the songs in the US,UK,Japan releases except 3).

Yes and? Sega had the whole advantage of not stealing music in the first place in order to make the re licensing process go smoother! It may surprise you, but companies are generally a lot nicer to work with if you didn't screw them the first time you released.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Orange Mage posted:

I wish I would have been around when a middle-school friend sold off his Sega CDX...especially once I learned how rare they were... :gonk:

Are they really that rare? I have one just sitting around that I don't use and if you really want one message me. Taking a quick look at ebay all the ones on offer right now are way overpriced...

It's nice to save a power adapter space for playing CD 32X games though, I have to say.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd care more about keeping the CDX if I didn't already have a Laseractive with MegaDrive PAC and a model 2 Genesis + model 2 sega cd + 32x setup.
:v: Basically I'm thinking around $50-$60 with shipping included depending on where the person lives, and throwing in a controller and lovely game or two. Oh and 32X is included in there because I have too many of those and making someone pay for a 32x is ripping them off. It does work with the CDX despite what Sega told people.

But yeah I'll keep track of the dibsing.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Looking cool is not useless :colbert:

Fishmech give me your CDX and I will name my 2nd child after you.

For you I offer the chance to take my Atarimax Ultimate SD Colecovision flash cart where the sd card slot was knocked off the board and try to repair it. You can keep the flash cart when you're done 'cuz my Colecovision died so it's useless to me anyway. Just give me like $3 to mail it and it's yours.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lunaris posted:

I'm not going to question why you have a bunch of 32X's, but if you want to unload a working one, PM me.

Local Goodwill, oddly enough. I'll contact you if I want to get rid of the other one I suppose.

The Orange Mage posted:

I'm still alive, but I just woke up from a nap and then went to work for the night, so I don't have easy access to PMs but I'll get back to Install Gentoo (the user, not the action performed on a PC) in the morning. As someone whose retro past/childhood involves a 2600 and NES hooked up via RF, a bad model 2 Genesis, and all hooked up to a bad TV, I can't pass up the opportunity of some good Sega action. :cool:

No problem man!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sexy Slippers posted:

If you're willing to give it to another retrogoon I'd like to try my hand at fixing it.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I just got it sent off to someone else to take a crack at - kynikos.

Although I'm sure if he can't fix it he'll be happy to send it off to you for a try. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Isn't Saturn emulation complete rear end? Or has it picked up in quality/accuracy within the last couple of years?

It has picked up in quality/accuracy among most of the major emulators very well in the past few years. Most of them are around 90% compatibility or more these days.

Of course, you will need a half-decent PC, anything better than like a Core 2 Duo pretty much.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

Speaking of repros and the like, I'm amazed that bootleg disc-based games still aren't a thing for the systems that had copy protection on their discs. I understand why, with some of the technological requirements of making discs with special data sectors for copy protection check, I'm just amazed that this technology effectively hasn't been reverse-engineered in the close to 20 years it's existed now. For that matter, even for the systems that were easy to copy like Dreamcast, you could never go to a flea market and find racks of game discs next to the bootleg anime soundtracks and screener DVD copies. The closest thing was stores relatively openly offering portable system flash carts, and the odd store selling early imports of systems (I remember $900 Japanese Dreamcasts).

It's been reverse engineered alright. The thing is, the reason people care about getting a bootleg cartridge is that it usually means its less reliable, or the save won't work. A proper bootleg Playstation disc on the other hand, it'd be invisible to your use of it.

There are probably plenty of bootleg disc titles out there, and if they're done right they're invisible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Space Harrier posted:

Is it really that difficult to understand why games that aren't "rare" would fetch so much money? Super Mario World is super common, but what's the first game that anyone picking up an old SNES on eBay is going to want to get with it?

Eh but Super Mario World goes for about $10? $15 if you want the manual too. That's not really so much money.

In box costs more, but a very large amount of Super Mario World copies were never in a standalone box to begin with, it being a pack-in game and all. They sold like 20 million copies of Super Mario World for the SNES but most of them didn't have a standalone box.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Silhouette posted:

The problem is that Super Mario World is literally the most common SNES game in existence. It should cost $5 at most.

$5 + $5 shipping gets you the average price a SMW cart goes for on eBay. It's just how it works.

:shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

I have the itch to buy a Dreamcast. I've never owned one, and I love that soothing startup sequence.

Just beware, because this is how I ended up with 3 Dreamcasts (2 plain white US models, 1 pink translucent Hello Kitty Japanese model).

"They're so cheap, I should totally get another!" :downs:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair there are some prototypes that actually had official box art created before they got canceled. This was actually fairly common for the 2600 and titles being developed just before the video game crash hit - plenty of complete or nearly complete games, many even with manuals and box art already devised, that got canceled suddenly.

It's not all about grabbing some random half complete game and thinking up art to go with it and such.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair, it's way easier to just crank out new compatible copies of completely non-interactive media than interactive stuff. When you think about it, there's going to be DVD menu interactivity stuff that will be lost in 30 years for whatever standard format we use then and stuff like that, even if you can still watch the same actual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

h_double posted:

I strongly suspect optical disks will have gone the way of floppies within 30 years.

I'm also confident you'll be able to find a disc reader with relative ease (the same way you can nowadays get a USB turntable) and that there will be an open source app like VLC which will be able to emulate all the menu interactivity features (and rip it all to a digital image so you don't need the physical disc anymore).

It won't be a feature typical consumers care about, but I don't think it'll get lost altogether; emulator programmers are too weirdly passionate.

You'll be able to rip it, but will the 2033 movie formats give you an exact copy of menus on current DVD releases? I doubt it. I mean, you can still dump cartridge ROMs from 1983 off a cartridge and then play it in an emulator but most of the games aren't buyable in a new format.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Now what WOULD be nice is more official emulators of some kind. Plenty of them exist for ported games, things like the PSN and VC, etc. And it would cost basically nothing to get the ROMs for these games. Sega has the right idea with the Genesis games available on Steam, but take it a step further and make a proprietary Steam-like client where we can quickly and easy purchase and download old games for a couple bucks a piece and run them right there in the client on an official, perfect emulator.

In 1998, Sega commissioned the guy behind the emulators KGEN and Kega Fusion to write the emulator used in the "SEGA Smash Pack" titles on PC and Dreamcast.

• Locked thread