Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Also, I just scored a brand new (but not sealed) copy of Ogre Battle 64. Going to try that one out tonight.

Aren't you in the Hurricane Sandra area? Guys, I think Miyamotos RGB has turned into a Nintendo-seeking bandit of some kind. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeether posted:

I remembered a while back that I had this (apologies for the lovely cell phone camera):

Case has a crack on the back of it but the manual and all 4 discs are present and accounted for. Should be getting a Dreamcast soon.

How rare/pricy is a complete Shenmue in the US, out of curiosity?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fluffdaddy posted:

:(. I guess I am going to have to buy one of these:

and hook it up using these:

to truly recreate me playing the NES in 1985 :smith:

You don't need an RF Switch. (Not unless the CRT you buy has screw connections for the prongs in the picture you showed, and god help you if you do because they're crap). You can get a cable that has a standard coaxial plug on one end and an RF antenna socket on the other. Just connect the coaxial plug to the Nintendo's RF-out port and the other to the TV's RF socket (All the RF switch was ever for was so you could switch between the TV and the console).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fluffdaddy posted:

I was making a joke. I am over 30 and remember how video games work.

Ah, sorry. Just trying to be helpful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HKR posted:

My parents refused to let me have more then one game system hooked up at the time because they thought more wires = instant fire. Their concern wasn't too many things improperly plugged into wall sockets, their concern was too many power and av cords next to each other could spontaneously combust at any second.

You were the lucky kid that had both a Nintendo and a Sega/Playstation console at the same time, weren't you? :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesomonster posted:

Besides, who wants to miss Hamburglar's inevitable descent back into madness when he tries permanently fix a TG-CD and finds that it only works on the first run of them or something :allears:

That's just silly. I'll wager that his next descent into madness is trying to mod an Atari Jaguar CD into something that isn't an utter piece of poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

So who else keeps a chart of retro games they want to remember to buy, color coded according to how much it's going to cost them? Mine's actually for import only titles since I need to be somewhat organized when there's so much to get that just isn't available here. Every time I hear about or remember something that sounds neat that I want to get I add it to the chart and color it depending on if it will cost me under $10, between $10 and $20, and over $20. I should probably add a fourth color for "Don't be stupid".

I actually do keep a list of retro games I want to buy. I don't note the prices, just that when I see one that looks interesting I look it up a bit and add it to the list for when I have some disposable income.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Please tell me the GunGrave artbook covers the anime and sequel as well, because there's no way in hell the first game had enough assets to warrant a book that thick :psyduck:. (Incidentally, as basic as it was, I still enjoy that game)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why must you all get such wonderful old games on sale for dirt-cheap in the US? :cry:

OSI bean dip posted:

My mother was cleaning out the house and found my NES Power Pad, Game Boy (black "Play It Loud" series), and a few other things. Really happy. :shobon:

The first console I owned was the transparent Play it Loud Gameboy. I even got the version with the transparent case to store games and batteries with it. Best birthday present ever as a kid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mdh1975 posted:

Is this Dreamcast vga cable legit? Can't seem to find any decently priced vga boxes right now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-DC-VGA-BOX-Cable-dreamcast-vga-box-cable/803976_495794790.html

If it is, I wouldn't recommend it. There's a really good and well-known one that looks like a silver box. It outputs S-Video, Composite AND VGA. It's a much better buy, simply because some Dreamcast games aren't VGA-compatible.

This is a UK ebay listing that has the model I described. It's well worth tracking down (The transparent version is exactly the same, but the toggle switch between S-Video\Composite and VGA is brittle as hell) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dreamcast...=item19d64f9c3e

edit: Actually, seeing as this comes up every now and then, Miyamotos RGB would you mind adding the following (or re-write it into something better) to the OP?

The Dreamcast is capable of VGA output for hi-def video, but not all games support it. For those few that do not, S-Video is usable. To make life easier on yourself if you want better-quality video from your console, get one of these

It does both VGA, Composite and S-Video, so you're set to go with whatever output you require.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyma posted:

I just got through watching the Master System die on Chronsega, and had a random thought for some of the historians out there :

As far as official releases go, which games consoles have managed to gone out with a bang, rather than a whimper?

I don't think any have, really. Most game releases taper out shortly before the next machine comes out. The closest you might get is maybe the Wii with Xenoblade and The Last Story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Did someone say sexy clear gameboys?!

Is that a Gameboy Light? Who's soul did you sacrifice to dark scary places in order to get ahold of one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sandpiper posted:

I'm going to quote this from page 11 and also add to this because I want to at least put some video evidence up vouching for the recording quality I'm getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9776HU3VcXk

After soldering on the audio cables using the guide I'm getting great sound out of it. Fantastic, really.

That is gorgeous picture quality :swoon: (I love Vanillaware games).

Now you gotta get Panzer Dragoon Saga to see how well that comes out. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Charles Get-Out posted:

When Hamburgler starts buying and disassembling cats I guess we know who to blame. :catstare:

"A man was found in the tiger pen of the local Zoo today. Authorities have released the statement that he was found saying 'I can fix the bar problem, I just need to compare this housecat to that tiger for colour correction'. He is being transferred to a nearby hospital for psychiatric help".

sandpiper posted:

(also lol I wonder what other consoles I could hook up to this SCART-wise. It'd be kind of a waste to only use this for my Saturn, I put a lot of effort into scrounging all this various hardware into a cheap solution for high quality Saturn capture)

I believe someone higher up the page mentioned the PS2 could do SCART. I think the N64 can as well? Or was that someone's modding project?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HKR posted:

Got my favorite game of all time in the mail today (And a bonus disc containing two versions of a game in my top ten):

I've had that since it came out. :smuggo:

Whoever was bringing up Amano's artwork from a few pages back, go take a look at The Last Story on the Wii - He did the design work for it, and it's all wonderful.

Oh also; Anyone got any good JRPG's to recommend on the PS2? I've played all of mine to death and I could use something new. I've got all the SMT games, both Final Fantasies (X & XII, not interested in X-2), both Kingdom Hearts, Odin Sphere (I'd get GrimGrimoire, but I'm not that much of an SRPG fan), Rogue Galaxy, and Star Ocean til the Next Sidequest End of Time. Are there any particularly good Tales games on the PS2 or anything lesser-known I might've missed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zari-gani posted:

Amano wasn't involved in Last Story actually. The art designs are by Kimihiko Fujisaka, best known for Drakengard.

Oh it is to (just looked at my premium-edition artbook). I could've sworn it was Amano behind it. :psyduck:

edit: VVVVVVVVV

Very much so, yes. The writing is great, the gameplay's pretty fun, and the characters are all awesome in their own way. It's fairly linear, but there's tons of sidequests and it's all based out of a central hub town, so you can't really irredeemably miss anything.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Archon got banned and probated for like a month.

For talking about his anime collection.

Actually it was because he was being an rear end in the WiiU thread.

And if we're sharing random things we own, this should be of interest to the PAL Dreamcast owners - I have two of the rare storage towers. Got them in a lucky eBay find.

(God drat, my phone makes big pictures)
The two in the right tower are Tech Romancer and Tony Hawk: Pro Skater 2. The case above them, and the loose sleeve, are a pair of manual-and-disk-only copies that I got from a pair of eBay purchases. The guy tossed them in, despite me saying "no thanks, I already own them".

The N64 storage tower's also well worth getting if you own a lot of loose carts (It's double-sided, and not that hard to get carts out of the back side).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I got some retro gaming stuff while I was out in the city today. Donkey Kong 64 for $30 (cart only), a silver PSP-3000 for $84 (though no game or memory stick, something I'll have to rectify), and good old Tetris for my classic gameboy for the princely sum of $7. By Aussie retro gaming standards, I think I did pretty well.

edit: VVVVVVVV

No expansion pack, just the cart. :eng101: Games are a lot more expensive here than in your big sunshine-filled place of single-digit second-hand game prices. Most N64 games go for about $20, average, here. Donkey Kong 64 (or at least the yellow cart, which is the one I got) generally goes for $45-50. Banjo-Tooie starts at $60 and climbs higher due to it being rare in PAL-land.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACID POLICE posted:

Man... You should invest in a flash cart, it sounds like it costs as much as you getting two more expensive games. I've been known to be a N64 hater but I nobody should have to pay that much jiust to play Banjo Tooie...

The best part is that I got it new as a kid for the full $100 with saved-up pocket money :shepface:.

It's simply a different economy here. $20 is about average for a good second-hand game, though PSP games are generally going for about $15 new just so stores can get rid of them (I intend to take advantage of this when I have some spare cash that's not going towards my WiiU preorder). :retrogames:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

-Super Bust a Move 2: Are there people who hate BAM/PB/BB? I don't know any of them.

I was addicted to god drat Puzzle Bobble as a kid. I actively avoid it in any form because I know I'll never put it down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pinguliten posted:

I'm not sure if you guys are interested but Amazon is having a sale on megadrive/genesis roms.
http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Classic-Game-Download/dp/B00A6CS0OU/
half of :10bux: for SEGA Genesis Classics Series 1-5.
So if you want to own the roms proper don't pass this up.

Fly with me posted:

This is worth it for Phantasy Star II-IV and Shining Force I and II.
However, none of the Sonic games are included.

If you have a PS3 or 360, you're better off getting the Genesis/MegaDrive Collection. It has all four Phantasy Star's, both Shining Force's as well as Shining in the Darkness, and all four Sonic games (though 3 and Knuckles don't interlock like the Wii VC ones do, sadly.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erluk posted:

Got some packages in the mail today, lets see whats in 'em

Good lord man. You've got one hell of a masochistic streak.

I've beaten Battletoads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cat doter posted:

I'm just after a good place to grab retro stuff, other than trolling around ebay or whatever. I've seen nintendo consoles go for up to $200 on ebay for some reason. There's a giant list of NES/SNES games I wanna track down.

https://www.retrogames.co.uk is a good place to start for games. You're pretty much stuck with eBay or Cash Converters for consoles, however. If you just keep watching, every now and then you'll see something slip by for cheap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Technowrite posted:

So a guy on CL is offering $40 a Master System with controller, light phaser, and Rampage, Outrun, and Hang On/Safari Hunt. Is that a good deal?

Yes.

Doubly so if it's a Model 1. (The model 2 can't play the card-based games, or use the 3D headset)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Jeeze, the price of consoles is going up quick. I'm glad I got most of my consoles 5 years ago.

Master System accessories are somewhat rare in themselves. The really weird thing is how goddamn hard it is to get ahold of SMS controllers on their own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

I can play Master System games now too! I've never even seen a Master System game in person before. He warned that the Power Base Converter was iffy, but I just tested it with Phantasy Star and it booted up first try.

Now I've got 3 of the 4 big Sonic games, I guess I need Sonic 2... And I want the original Alex Kidd to go with my Genesis one... And Fantasy Zone 1 and 2... And maybe a card based Master System game... and and and :retrogames:

oh no i own an unboxed game now

Thanks PopeCrunch!

You'll also need both Sonic games for the Master System as well. And all three Alex Kidds :shepface:.

edit: VVVVVVV

Just play them together

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PopeCrunch posted:

Speaking of emulation, is Saturn emulation usable? I ask because the criteria for 'should i sell this' is whether or not I can emulate it effectively, and I am looking long and hard at the Saturn and games.

edit: SPEAKING OF SATURN. Do you know what that sound is? That's the sound of the next like five hours vanishing into thin air. http://www.ventoline.com/frozenbubble/ PUZZLE BOBBLE, BITCHES :fyadride:

You bastard! I've actively avoided Puzzle Bobble for years due to its addictive effects on me, and now you've basically dropped it in my lap.

Must be strong... mustn't click.... mustn't click... :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ohnoitschris posted:

Hey, good idea. I wonder if that means I can grab Xenoblade and The Last Story for cheap(er) now :getin: :unsmigghh:

Those two are probably going to become the Earthbound/Panzer Dragoon Saga of the Wii in a few years, so grab them if you spot'em. Unless you're in the PAL region, that is (though I haven't seen a copy of Xenoblade in the wild in quite some time). Pandora's Tower is probably a rarity too, but it's not as great as the other two games. The only other games that might be valuable/rare off the top of my head would be Muramasa, Sin and Punishment Successor to the Skies/Star Successor (in the US), or Super Mario Bros All-Stars.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think you mean Xenoblade, MiyamotosRGB. Xenosaga's the PS2 trilogy. I wasn't actually aware All-Stars got another print run, it must've been only in the US.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Why does it have to be such a good time to buy for so many consoles? Wii will most likely start climbing a lot by the end of next year, but there's also Xbox which is stupid cheap right now. And I want to start collecting for the N64 too on top of trying to build up my pathetic Dreamcast/Sega/SNES collections, and there's Gamecube stuff too since I finally have my Wii back which is an older Gamecube compatible model. :argh: :retrogames:

Go for the Dreamcast and Gamecube games first, they'll climb in price at a more steeper rate due to the possibility of scratches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oh yeah, my bad. Xenoblade.

And yeah Mario was going for $90 at one point (the game was only $30) but Nintendo did another print run and ruined that. I'm tempted to pick up a few Kirby Collections for the Wii. It's at the end of the Wii's life so it probably won't get a reprint.

Basically what I am saying is I learned my lesson not buying 400 copies of Earthbound in 1995.

They still haven't released the Kirby Collection in the PAL territories. Dammit Nintendo, why don't you want my money? :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Do you want me to export one for you?

Thankyou kindly, but no - I don't have a modded Wii to play it on, and there aren't really enough games I want to justify doing so really (just Trauma Team and Kirby). Worst comes to worst, I'll just get them off the Virtual Console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Genesis actually seems kind of expensive to me though, I find very few games I want for under $15-20 loose, so considering I can only spend maybe $30-40 a month on this stuff, that's a bit much. That seems to be true of Sega consoles in general, but maybe it's just me.

If you have a PS3 or Xbox, you can put a serious dent into your wanted Genesis games by just getting Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Sega Ultimate Megadrive Collection in PAL-land) for about $20-30 (there's about 40 Genesis games as well as a few arcade and master system games in there to). I'm thinking of getting one of those MadCatz Street Fighter controllers just to get a near-enough six-button Megadrive controller for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uh, that, like, better be the only SNES game to ever come in a tin like that.

Worried you've just found your new white whale to hunt, Jonah MiyamotosRGB?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PopeCrunch posted:

Miscief Makers (this is an amazing loving game, and if you can't love it, you can't

Agreed. Mischief Makers is an amazingly underrated 2D platformer and I will shake-shake the hell out of anyone who says otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

midge posted:

Ever heard of a Trojan horse? I'm sure I can squeeze into it and steal all your poo poo!

Well thanks rear end in a top hat, go ahead and give away all my goddamn evil plans why don't you? :colbert:

Weeks of practicing with paper cutouts inside the hollowed-out CRT monitor to make it look like the game was on are now wasted, thanks to you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrias120 posted:

Well, Retro Goons, looks like it's about time we got our second emote.

Well, I'll counter Orange's boxy marvel with a rapier-like !

which I'll probably buy myself in a week or two when I have a bit of disposable income that isn't budgeted towards my WiiU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Panic Restaurant posted:

A Master System is totally worth picking up, but if it's a model 2 you're better off looking for an original so you have the option of playing the card based games as well. I think the 3D glasses require that card slot too if you ever want to gently caress around with those at some point.

They do indeed require the card slot. I think the Model 1 also has RCA outputs as well. Or have I got that confused with a different console with multiple models?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I've got two words for you that explain how the first Ghostbusters game got so screwed up: David Crane.

But as a consolation you did get the best home version of Double Dragon!

I thought the NES version was considered the best version of Double Dragon? (That said, I have the SMS version and love it dearly)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mammal Sauce posted:

Excluding games I've never played all the way through:

1. Majora's Mask
2. Wind Waker

This guy. I like this guy :hfive:.

I actually haven't played any of the 2D Zelda's - I'm not a fan of top-down action games. I think they're very good games, as far as I can tell from bits I've seen here-and-there, they're just not my thing.

So my list pretty much goes;

1. Majora's Mask
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess (I liked the combat, despite the Wii waggling)
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Skyward Sword

I started with Majora's Mask first as a kid, and didn't get to play through Ocarina completely (just bits and pieces at friends, and so on) until I got the Collector's Edition of Wind Waker, so my opinion's probably skewed a little.

techknight posted:

Also I think that Zelda 1 was fine when released, but is crap now because of discoverability. You can't make progress using only in-game resources without randomly bombing all the squares, so I don't think it's right to keep praising it. Same deal with Metroid 1 and 2 not having a map feature.

Part of the fun with old games was exploring the maps and seeing where you wound up. That said, Metroid games weren't exactly mazes either - most paths either branched off of a central hallway or loop back around. There's not much of a need for a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kreeblah posted:

Majora's Mask is also the only 3D game that requires you to do the same things over and over and over and over and over and over again either because you like exploring or for some sort of event sequence. If it weren't for that, I'd like the game.

You actually don't. There's only two things you really have to repeat tasks for and they're both for sidequests (Specifically the Razor Sword and the Marriage quest). One is the Snowhead bossfight (so you can win the Gold Dust in the Goron Race), and the other is the robbery on the First Night.

edit: Oh wait, there is actually one you have to retread a few days worth of stuff for - The Postman's Cap You get a letter for the Mayor's wife on the last day and you have two different people it can go to. Giving it to the Postman means she'll see he's still around and tell him he can flee.

Aside from those, there's no reason why each 3-Day cycle isn't spent doing something different (especially with the inverted Song of Time).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 3, 2012

• Locked thread