Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Here's a whole lot of oral history about launching Nintendo Power back in 1988, from interviews I conducted with founding editors Gail Tilden and Howard Phillips. I worked really hard on this so you have to read it ok

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/183233/nintendo_power_remembering_.php

I'm not sad that it's gone, but I'm sad that this is the last time I'll be able to show Nintendo Power's editors how to do their jobs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Sidenote: did you get that weird cable you needed for your Sony PVM? I sent it a while ago; just making sure you got it.

Yes I did, thank you!

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

This is fantastic, and points out something I had never thought directly about. Having the magazine emphasize walkthroughs, tips, and tricks instead of just news, previews, and reviews was really what made Nintendo Power so fantastic.

It was surprising to Gail when I told her that I used to follow along on the maps and pretend like I was playing, and that made me want the game more. She thought the maps were ONLY servicing people who only had the game.

Didn't everyone do that?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Well I didn't ask for my health! How does SNES look on it?? :neckbeard:

Probably really awesome but my monitor actually has this stupid DB25 connector instead of the individual colors, I need to figure out if I can go from the converter you sent to DB25 (probably not hard!) or if I should make the 6 hour drive to L.A. and pick up yet another monitor for my house that would be compatible (though 5 inches smaller).

If that didn't work I was going to PM you and ask if you wanted it back, but you've forced my hand! I was super bummed when I figured it out, thanks again for sending it. I'll let you know what happens, let ME know if you know what I'm talking about and if you have any ideas.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I'm playing Link's Awakening on a proper backlit GBA SP every time I go to the bathroom or suddenly don't feel like working for a while and it's the best game. You guys should know that.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Quidnose posted:

I know I'm late to the party but holy poo poo that Bioforce Ape video on Lost Levels...that game looks amazing :v:

It kind of is! It's pretty early, I'd like to see what the final game would be like.

Does anyone wanna buy the prototype cartridge for the $2k I paid for it? Anyone??

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Here's the latest cool thing I picked up:

An original first print of The Secret of Monkey Island. This is from the very first batch, it's the 16-color EGA version. Includes all of the paperwork, etc., it's all in stupid nice shape.

This was a good night.

If you like this game but haven't played the 16-color version, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's how the game was designed, all of the art was made with this limitation in mind. Plus all of the character close-ups are way different than the ones you know, and were drawn by Steve "Sam & Max" Purcell.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Edit 2: I just found the most amazing thing in my closet of forgotten games....

I'll give you $30.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

al-azad posted:

I hope you didn't pay more than $20 for this.

If you can find these for less than $20 I'll give you $40 each for them and double your money (before doubling my money on eBay).

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Hey, any Crystalis fans? You should buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350801007893&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

This was a promo-only poster given out at CES, so it's absurdly rare. I have one, and it's the only other one I've ever seen. The print job on it is excellent, it's very frame-able.

This came from the collection of the same guy I got mine from, he was smart enough to just packrat all the game stuff he could get his hands on at CES and keep it all in mint condition. As far as I can tell he's basically the only guy who did this, he's kind of a hero.

EDIT: I'll die before you get the Kabuki Quantum Fighter poster I also got from this dude.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The file cabinet full of CES flyers and such I donated to the Strong a couple years back all came from a guy in Wisconsin who did the same thing and decided to just give it all to me when cleaning house in the late '90s.

/humblebrag

I need to go see those dangit.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Who's got two thumbs and scored an RGB-capable X'EYE with a JVC-branded controller for $100? :retrogames:

And a Crystalis poster. :yayclod:

Hell yeah, Crystalis poster buddy! That's about what I paid for mine and I don't regret it at all, it's one of my favorite pieces.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

univbee posted:

As far as we know, have there been any verified "lost" games? Like, some random obscure Apple I game that we know for a fact existed (and was commercially released) but all known disk copies are no longer readable?

I think the majority of early teletype games that pre-date home computers are probably gone, as are most of the MUDs (and just about anything else that ran on university servers). As far as physical disks sold in stores...just given the nature of how these things were sold back in the old days (Zip-Lock bags hand-delivered to local computer stores by their authors), we've surely lost a ton of stuff forever.

I'm pretty sure some arcade games haven't been found yet too. And I know for sure that Underground Gamer's project to document every MS-DOS game is missing a few titles, but the site seems to be down...

As far as like, console stuff? Yeah, I'm sure a ton of unlicensed/foreign tiny little games are still lost. Like someone said earlier, we're still finding Atari 2600 games we didn't know existed. There are even Famicom games that haven't materialized yet: http://magweasel.com/2010/06/28/fujiya-thinking-games-v1-0/

I wouldn't be surprised if we've lost a lot of Korean computer games too.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

It was in Retro Gamer Issue 84; they had a huge piece on Rare. Chris Tilston from Rare confirms it, too.

Don't get me started on unreleased games that haven't been located yet.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah seriously. Star Fox 2 was nuts. It was really a smarter financial decision to not release the game at all? I find that hard to believe.

For those in the know, what exactly had to be "hacked" in the game for it to work properly?

I'm not under the impression that the game was hacked, I thought it was just emulator support? Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, since you guys got me started on unreleased games: there were tons on the NES. This is a quick and dirty list of games that I have reason to believe were playable at some point that have not been discovered yet. It's a combo of press coverage, my own research, trade show materials, etc. If you were to include titles that were announced or hinted at in some form that I have no reason to suspect were ever playable it would easily double this:

Ace Harding: Lost in Las Vegas
Adventure Quest
Air Hawk
Airborne Ranger
Aliens vs. Predator
Backgammon
Black Tiger
Bruce Lee Lives
Buster Brothers
Cat Runner
Chip's Challenge
Crossbow
Daemon Wars
Dewey the Dolphin
Dream Team 3-on-3 Challenge
Euro Cup Soccer
The Flash (port from Game Boy)
Ghostbusters (alternate version)
Happily Ever After
Hellraiser
Hot Rocks
In Your Face
James Pond II Codename: Robood
John Madden Football
Jordan Adventure
Legend of Hero Tonma
License to Kill
Lord of Lightning
The Lord of the Rings
The Magic Candle
The Magic of Scheherazade II
Matchbox Racers
Metal Man
Mission XX
Monster Master
Murdercycle
A Nightmare on Elm Street (alternate version)
Paradise Island
Password/Super Password/Super Talking Password
Police Academy (there were two versions, one has been located)
Power Play Football
The Price is Right
Pyross
Ring Raiders
Rocky
Rodan (likely just an early version of Godzilla 2)
[Unknown Star Wars game]
Sea Dog (aka Mariner's Run?)
Shadowgate 2 (designed, unknown if playable)
Shogun Maeda
SimCity
Sir Eric the Bold
Space Ace
The Speed Rumbler
Star Stingray
Street Fighter
Street Fighter II (pre-dates arcade game, probably same as SF1)
Street Fighter II (arcade port by outside developer)
Switchblade (port of Switchblade 2)
Team Sports Basketball
Terran Wars (Baton Teleplay Modem game)
Terror of Tech Town
Thundercats (port of computer game, don't get too excited)
Ultimate Baseball
Ultimate Journey
Ultimate Soccer
[U-Force fighting game]
[U-Force RPG]
Urban Convoy
Web World
Wild Boys
The Wizard of Oz
Wolverine (no, not the X-Men guy)
World Trophy Soccer
World War III

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

al-azad posted:

Star Fox 2 has a hack that removes all the debug information and speeds up the engine to frame rates. I still don't know how I played the original Star Fox without getting frustrated.

Hellraiser didn't come out on NES, why am I not surprised?

And major missed opportunity on Chip's Challenge.

The Magic Candle was released in Japan, I guess there was supposed to be an American version. Would have been cool, that game was so underrated in the Ultima days.

Was World War 3 supposed to be the Game Arts game?

And was Street Fighter 2 (the one that pre-dated the arcade game) supposed to be the original Final Fight?

Oops, good call on Magic Candle. I was trying to also limit this to games that weren't released in other regions, but I missed that one.

World War III was an LJN license, meaning it was probably a proposed toy line as well. No screenshots were ever published that I know of. It sounded like a proto-Defcon.

No screenshots of Street Fighter or Street Fighter II have surfaced either. Street Fighter was in the NES lineup in a 1988 brochure, and the description matches the original arcade game (plus, they ported the arcade game to computers that year, so it was part of that same lineup).

Street Fighter II appears in this same press kit one year later (January 1989), as nothing but a logo with no art or description. My suspicion is that yes, this was based on (or developed alongside) Final Fight, which was still a Street Fighter game at that point. No, I don't think it's Mighty Final Fight. Yes, I admit it could be Street Fighter 2010.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

parasyte posted:

The story on it is told through interviews here; basic gist is that they were going to do something awesome with a Z80 in a cart but it would have been expensive and nobody would carry the game, because it wasn't going to be Nintendo licensed. At the same time they discovered Christian bookstores would carry any Christian game they could make, so it was an easy decision to drop it very early in the prototype stage and switch gears. At the end no programming was done, just the Z80 and some art.

Incidentally, when the current owner of Wisdom Tree took over, I was told by a collector in contact with her that she threw away any development stuff that "wasn't Christian." So if she had one of those "supercarts" with Hellraiser on it, it's in a dumpster somewhere now.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

You left out New Kids on the Block.

Intentionally, it was never playable.

Here's something that's probably not on the internet: it was designed by David Crane!

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

juliuspringle posted:

You know David Crane? Does he have any A Boy and His Blob merch? That game is amazing, the sequel on the Wii though not as much.

He just donated all of his old stuff to the Videogame History Museum, so if he did it's probably there.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

How recent was that? I was always under the impression that they made the jump from color dreams to Wisdom Tree to cash in and not out of any sincere belief. If it was recent, huh, had no idea they were still around.

Sometime after actual game development stopped, they sold all the rights to a new company. I want to say it was like, late 90s? Wisdom Tree still exists, you can still buy games even (I think they're emulated NES ROMs on PC though):

http://www.wisdomtreegames.com/

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Yes please get them, they might dump stuff that Retrode won't.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

flyboi posted:

Super jealous younger me always wanted a pfx but they were expensive well after they died

I really wanted a Super Magic Drive after reading about it in EGM.

The coverage was hilarious, they were like "This magical awesome device lets you play all the Super Nintendo games in the world for free!!!! ...but piracy hurts the industry or whatever so please don't do it."

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

elf help book posted:

Has anyone actually seen a graded game with a crazy price on ebay sell?

Are you talking about the $5k+ ones? Yeah, there was a secret crazy person snapping these up last year, I think he may have been solely responsible for inflating VGA stuff for a while. Mostly though people list them at a crazy price and accept offers.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Speaking of VGA, here's something really gross that's happening!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Trog-Prototype-Cartridge-Pre-Production-Sample-VGA-Archival-1991-/200927121502

People are sending in prototypes to be verified as legitimate now, which I'm totally ok with.

But what's horrifying is that in this particular instance, the seller has not backed up the data on this game's EPROMs, and he's using that as a selling point. He has permanently sealed this cartridge in a plastic tomb, ensuring that no one will ever play with it, and that its data will never be preserved.

Now, this is just Trog, so who cares, but what happens when someone decides to do this with an important game? Good lord.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 5, 2013

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

^^ Battle of Olympus

Quiet Feet posted:

Oh yeah, well how about the Hyperscan, wiseguy? You remember that? :c00lbutt:

There's a local damaged/salvaged/ohmygod:barf: deep discount chain around here called Building #19. They were selling games for the thing just a couple of years ago. I'm tempted to go back and see if there might still be some around.

I work at the studio that made most of Hypercard's games! We might have a dev kit around here somewhere!

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Here is some stuff.

This is my brand new copy of Koronis Rift that I just got signed by all three of its authors: Noah Falstein (now the head game guy at Google), Ron Gilbert (who went on to do Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island) and Aric Wilmunder (the Lucasfilm Games guy who stuck around forever and was involved in like, every cool game ever).

This is sort of a work-in-progress: I posted it earlier, but this is my beloved first-print EGA 5.25" version of the first Monkey Island, in really gorgeous shape with all of the paperwork. Ron signed it, now I have to go after Dave and Tim (I live in the Bay Area and sorta know them both, so that shouldn't be too hard I hope).

Not pictured since I haven't framed it yet: I got my original circa-1987 gigantic promo Maniac Mansion poster signed by Ron Gilbert (lead), Gary Winnick (artist) and David Fox (programmer, went on to lead Zak McKracken).

But you guys are mostly into console stuff so here's some of that junk I guess:

This is new old stock from a local friend who used to run a game store. We struck gold digging through his garage, so I got them graded and I'm going to sell them for him and help him pay for his daughter's education.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Please trigger warning this.

Seriously, though... despite honorable intentions, I can't support this crap.

Yeah, whatever, dude needed money and this is how we're getting it. It's not like we're depriving anyone of playing these games, no one was going to rip the shrinkwrap off, so I fail to see the harm.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

ACID POLICE posted:

drat what did it run you to VGA grade all those games?

After shipping and everything it ran him something like $80 each? Which is worth it with games like these, the last sealed Volleyball went for $5k.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I grew up in Vegas...

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I am not even remotely into gambling and Vegas Stakes is one of my favorite games ever. It's obviously all the story/RPG elements to it, though. And that techno music. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuygAAVZ7wY

I'm not either! But about 8 years ago my girlfriend who was working at a video store found Vegas Dream tucked away in the back room still in its shrinkwrap and gave it to me. Then like a year later I found Vegas Stakes for something like $2 and realized I had the beginnings of a really stupid collection and, well, here we are today.

I don't like normal collections, I like stupid collections. Like this one!

I like to be prepared.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

You say no one was going to rip the shrinkwrap off, but I specifically just sent a shrinkwrapped game to my summer secret santa with specific instructions that is must be opened up.

No one's going to throw away $5,000 opening up Volleyball instead of buying a loose cart for $2 (or a ROM for free). This isn't some beautiful creature I've entombed forever waiting for its white knight to rescue it so it can fulfill its destiny of being played, it's an old circuit board with some plastic and cardboard that a small subset of collectors pay a lot of money for.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Doujindance has a Duo-R up. The buyer has their own personal youtube troubleshooting videos. Don't read the description though, just buy it if you're on the fence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200932591804&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Oops I bought it.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd just like to point out that there's at least one legit good album in there, and it's not Music to install windows by.

You mean the one where all the songs are about sex? Yeah I like that one too.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Yea, this is essentially my thoughts on the matter: I sold a sealed copy of Ocarina of Time for about $500 on Nintendo Age, and although I might have made slightly more with it graded - depending on what arbitrary grade they gave it - that extra would have been a wash due to the VGA grading costs and shipping costs back and forth to VGA... the way I figure it, I would have been wasting time and effort so that the VGA could make money with little to no benefit to me.

I doubt that anyone who's specifically looking for these high value items would balk at one that's not been VGA graded provided you are extremely forthcoming with information and documentation of the item.

I've had these stupid things in my house for about 9 months now and I've done more research and talking to collectors than anyone ought to. It wasn't an easy decision to send these to the VGA, but sometimes you just get a better return if it's graded. I already sold off a bunch of his other games ungraded, having determined that the return wouldn't be worth it.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

One of us! You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

I actually had a TG16 when it was still current and haven't had one since, so I'm stoked. I think NES fans in particular should be exploring this system, since that's where a lot of the Japanese Famicom developers went to. It's basically a NES with better graphics and sound, and weirder games.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

ACID POLICE posted:

Oh, we're talking about awesome title screens now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TfJ9c-m1E

This is bar none the coolest poo poo i've ever seen. The music rules, the video with all the quick cuts is awesome, the fake assembly code is INCREDIBLE

That's pretty good, but I think you're underestimating the power of the Commodore 64. Here's what many believe to be its best intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERGZh6XB2M

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Unmature posted:

Are you Frank Cifaldi?

Yeah :(

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I really enjoy people complaining about the $500 Xbox One the morning after I paid $380 for a Duo-R.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'll be honest, for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of cash or space, if the Retron 5 ends up being good in terms of compatiblity and accuracy and generally fixes what's wrong with other clone consoles, it and a few flash carts may be my main retro gaming equipment.

Wow, what? Why would you buy flash carts for an emulator?

EDIT: I don't get this Retron thing. It's an emulator box for people who absolutely have to have their ROMs housed in individual plastic shells for some reason. To me the point of emulation is to not deal with all that clutter, and the point of real cartridges is to play on real hardware and not deal with emulation's shortfalls. This is the worst of both worlds!

EDIT 2: This thing will only be able to play games that the Retron is already programmed to recognize, since it has to dump the ROMs into memory Retrode-style. So if you pick up any games that they haven't already programmed in -- prototypes, obscure imports, bootlegs, multicarts -- they're not likely to work. Also, even if for some reason you wanted to be a crazy person and use flash carts, I can't see how they'd possibly be supported.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

DeathBySpoon posted:

For what it's worth, the Retron guys have said in an interview that they're using hardware emulation, not software emulation. I don't think they'll be using FCEU or SNES9X.

E: here

I sure don't believe this at all! What is "hardware emulation"? Customized FPGA chips? For less than $100? Yeah right.

Edit: Also, "hardware emulation" with HDMI out and filters? These games are being software emulated just like any other Android device emulates games. By "hardware emulation" he's probably referring to whatever they came up with to dump the carts into memory.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 12, 2013

• Locked thread