Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is this where we post silly retro gaming purchases we made?

At a highly portable 110 lbs! I actually felt bad buying it from Goodwill, apparently it was on sale so I only paid :10bux:.

edit: According to the internet, in order to get rid of the "Video 2" in the corner, I need a remote with a button called "Display". The universal remotes I'm seeing on Amazon don't seem to have that, though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

Almost any Sony remote will do such as this one or this one. The first one is probably a better bet, since it is specifically a universal remote.
Hmm ok, thanks. I think I'll check out the goodwill first, I think I saw a basket or something of old remotes, but if they don't have anything that works I'll probably order that. Funny though that I could end up spending more money on a (basic) remote than on the TV itself. :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I need an AC adapter for my SNES and all the ones on Amazon have terrible reviews. Should I just get this one from Stone Age Gamer? The packaging style is very similar to some of the Amazon ones which worries me. Not sure if there are any better alternatives out there though.

edit: Is the Nintendo Repair Shop considered reliable? http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/64-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-SNES/

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 10, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Do y'all just go to random yard sales or is there some methodology to picking out ones with games?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

At least one of the Bombermans also supported single-cart multiplayer.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

zenintrude posted:

EGG is an extremely underrated RPG, which makes sense since it's essentially a reimagining of Crystalis
Wait what?? SOLD

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

apathypuff posted:

dedicated hardware scaler boxes
Wait, what? Let's see how much these things co:stare:

edit: Can someone tell me more about these things? How much of an improvement are we talking about relative to plugging a system directly into an HDTV via composite and/or s-video? Are there any recommended brands or models?

edit2: Hmm maybe I'll give this one a shot sometime. The fact that its price is so much lower than the other boxes gives me pause, but it has good reviews. The built-in scaling on my current HDTV is reeeeaalllly bad (when I use the NES, it makes some pixels look like figure eights, and there's no game mode), so it's worth a shot.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 17, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I've been a huge advocate of this one for about a year now. It's hands-down the best one out there for 240p gaming right now (which is 99% of what people are going to care about) and a bunch of us in the thread have them. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth every penny if you want the absolute best available video quality out of your old systems.
Yeah I just saw fatpat's post after I edited my post the second time. Guess it's time to start saving! :v:

my wallet noooooo :negative:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Xik posted:

I recently bought a new LCD and an s-video hardware upscaler for my SNES and it's a huge improvement over composite as you would expect. You can spend like 1/5th the money and still get something that will get you a great picture, even if it's not as good as what you would get with an XRGB or one of the higher end processors.

I was going to take some photos and post about it but the thread has been doing so well with actually talking about old games. I didn't want to ruin it by steering it back to upscalers/~video talk~ (looks like it's too late for that though :sun:).
I'm interested, which upscaler is it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

As someone who just recently started following this thread, these Secret Santa presents are very intimidating.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Got a nice little haul of NES games with my other christmas gifts this year thanks to my roommate's Mom!

Top Left to Right Bottom: Double Dribble, Tiger-Heli, Shadowgate, Jackal, RC Pro-Am, and SNK Baseball Stars.

RBI Baseball 3, Kungfu, Bayou Billy, Friday the 13th, :siren:Bad Dudes:siren: and Jaws!

I'm excited to check all these out :)
Jackal is a really excellent co-op game, played a ton of it with my brother back in the day. I think that and Stinger were our goto co-op games.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The real benefit from having VGA for your Dreamcast is the resolution. It would not make much of a difference on an SD CRT.
What? The Dreamcast can only output at 640x480 anyway, which is, oddly enough, exactly Standard Definition.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found this pretty exhaustive-looking list for repro cart sellers. Looks like the OP is keeping it up to date, too: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=57823

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

the_lion posted:

Cleaning out my dad's place, found the original SNES box. Had no idea we had them, they're from circa '96.
They are pretty much mint condition. Mind. Blown.
"ONE GENUINE SUPER NES HAND CONTROLLER"

Is...is there another kind?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I have a crazy idea, and I want to see if goons know if it can be done.

I want to be able to take my NES, SNES, and DC, and switch any of them between two TVs, for composite/S-Video, so that any two systems can be used at any time. I know AV switchers exist, of course, but the ones I've seen have always been multi-input single-output, for selecting from different sources for a single TV. Are there ones that are multi-input multi-output?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Haha, even if I had that much money, this would be for CRTs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Keyboard Kid posted:

Get a regular 3-to-1 switcher and run a distribution amp or something similar (you'll want something powered since splitting to multiple outputs reduces image quality). You might also be able to find a similar 1-to-3 switcher for the output. If you want to do this in less than two parts you'll probably be spending a lot more than you need to.
Alright thanks, do you know of a good newbie resource to read up on this kind of stuff?

quote:

Or actually, http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-28750-Composite/dp/B0032ANC8M/ might be easier, but you'll see the same problem of image quality when outputting to multiple sources.
Yeah I saw this, but like you said, it looks like it has issues outputting to multiple sources, and I'm not sure it can do outputs independently (e.g. send input 1 to TV 2 and input 3 to TV 1 or something).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Would this one not work? http://www.vpi.us/av-switch-svva.html

edit: found it on Amazon, the reviews seem to indicate it's legit: http://www.amazon.com/S-Video-Composite-Analog-Matrix-Switcher/dp/B0014Y1IUC

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

h_double posted:

Looks promising, but note it won't convert between Composite and S-Video; it only works if the input and output are the same format.
Hmm, if I have both composite and s-video outputs from the converter hooked up to the TVs, do TVs usually know to ignore composite video if s-video is also being used? For reference my current TV for this is a 1999 Trinitron.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Keyboard Kid posted:

I don't have any resources to refer to. If you do a 1:1 input to output, you shouldn't introduce quality issues. If you push one input to two outputs, the video quality will be affected (noticeably) unless you have power behind it. Even then, some of these devices don't quite do it right.
The one I linked to is powered, although in my case I don't really care about pushing one input to two outputs simultaneously.

Looks like I may order that one and just return it if it sucks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It is surprisingly difficult to find non-crappy small CRTs (~13" range). Even more surprisingly, I've found more Toshibas that fit the bill than Sonys, even though in the 27-32 range there's a veritable sea of Trinitrons on craigslist.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ACID POLICE posted:

For that size, you should be looking for nothing but a Sony PVM, really.
What, you mean something like this?

What exactly is the advantage there? Does it just have really good image quality? I'm not sure I care a ton about having super top tier quality for what will be essentially a secondary retro gaming station. Also they all seem to be really expensive, are there usually any places to look that would have them for less than $200?

edit: When I bought a few games in Utah from this hardcore dude I think he mentioned getting these kinds of monitors from hospitals or something?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

RadicalR posted:

The only FF I've played is FF1 and FF7.

Does this make me a very bad person? :ohdear:
Yup.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The only FF I've fully beaten is 1. I played 4 and 6 mainly at a friend's house, on a little 9" screen that I don't even think had composite inputs (I vaguely remember having to manually wrap wires around little connectors on top of the TV). I also quit CT at Lavos' third form because I didn't want to grind any more.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just got my NES back from nintendorepairshop.com today. I had actually replaced the 72-pin connector myself, but was still having major green screen/freezing problems, so I sent it in. After it got there, they emailed me saying that it seemed to be fine on their test games, but they went ahead and replaced the connector anyway, cleaned it, and put it back together better than I did. Whatever they did, it worked, because now I have wayyyy fewer problems with games not loading. I still need to clean some of my games, but the ones I cleaned before with isopropyl alcohol all seem to work perfectly.

I'm really glad the system works better now, because it'll make it a lot easier to enjoy playing the NES with my system with my son once he's old enough (currently 14 months); I don't just want him to play games when I say it's ok and set it up for him, I want him to develop independence in his hobbies and interests. The NES will really help with that, since it's simpler and more kid-friendly than modern games in basically every way: controls, mechanics, meta-objectives, visuals, type of challenge, and perhaps most importantly, menus, or a lack thereof. A 2-year old can play Mario on a very basic level, but good luck getting them to navigate a modern console dashboard.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

This is true, although modern games do have a couple advantages in that downloadable games can't be broken, and wireless controllers are much nicer with kids. "JIMMY NOOOOooooooo"

But really my biggest beef with modern games is that kids' games have simple controls but are piss easy. I really hate the Lego games for this. Completely removing the challenge means removing most of the thinking, planning, and care involved in play, because you can just brute force your way through any enemy with your infinite life. Really, I'm just bitter that my twin nephews got spoiled by babby modern games and hate things with actual challenge now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Also, Final Fantasy Adventure is really Secret of Mana 0.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Come talk to me in 10 years when piracy-checking servers/account authentication servers for games you bought no longer exist. I'll be playing my cart copy of A Link to the Past just fine. Diablo 3? Oh sorry, that server no longer exists any more, so you won't be playing it. Here; check out Super Metroid. :smug:
True, but I specifically meant kids breaking something in the moment because they stepped on a disc or something. And it's possible that authentication servers will eventually be emulated, especially for major games like D3.

quote:

They no longer could coast on the "Squaresoft releases nothing but awesome games" that was probably started with FF6 and Chrono Trigger being released within a year of each other.
More like they had a megahit/classic each year 93 through 96 (SoM -> FF6 -> CT -> SMRPG). They were on a roll! What happened, Squaresoft? :(

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There are also a bunch of places that have English repros of Tales of Phantasia. Star Ocean seems to be a lot harder to find, though.

edit: There are action JRPGs too, you know. Secret of Mana 1/2 and the Gaia Trilogy come to mind. I think the Secret of Mana games have the best music from the SNES generation; Hiroki Kikuta is basically a genius.

edit2: If you choose the SoM route, I would highly advise finding a friend or two to play through them with. They're perfectly competent games single-player (the partner AI is customizable and actually works quite well), but co-op is where they really shine.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 9, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

But the SNES version has co-op!

technically it really does, but it baaaarely counts

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo is pretty much just being spiteful at this point with their lack of Earthbound acknowledgement.
Obviously Retro's secret project is Mother 4.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

So for my Christmas present, the wife took the CRT I had bought, and combined it with our little garage that we rent for our apartment, some shelves she commissioned from a neighbor, the couches we didn't like in our apartment proper, and many blankets and rugs from Goodwill, to create

THE GAME CAVE!

This was phase 1. Phase 2 is underway. :ninja:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

JJJJJS posted:

This here is the most awesome thing ever posted in this or the last thread.
Yup! :)

ACID POLICE posted:

Either that or his wife really hates video games in the house.
She is ok with me playing any game with a pause button. Needless to say, she often does not appreciate it when I go grind out ladder games in Starcraft.

HKR posted:

But at least she's nice about it.
Ha. I showed these responses to my wife and she was pleased. :) She's proud of her work. Definitely one of the best presents I've ever gotten for Christmas, if not THE best. N64 back in '96 comes close though.

Tyson Tomko posted:

This is awesome! You've even got the ballin "lean my rear end into this poo poo" brown cushion. The setup itself is also very efficient. You can have a shitload of people in floor alone then you've got the tons of couch/loveseat space. Phase 2 better involve a full size refrigerator and a pedestal fan.
Unfortunately, power is such that I can run a limited number of appliances in there. There's actually two of the space heater you see in the picture, but last time the wife turned them both on, she knocked out power to...I'm not sure exactly, but at least to other garage units, maybe even the apartments above.

And yeah, it's quite efficient, and very cozy. I had someone over the other day to play SoulCal with, and she immediately remarked, "You've basically made a giant blanket fort." That's definitely what it feels like.

ACID POLICE posted:

It's all about tower ionizing fans, though. Also I only see one TV in that room, that's also an issue
Fixed that today! Picked up a 14" Toshiba CRT to complement the 27" Trinitron. I was surprised to learn that not only does the Toshiba have s-video (which is why I picked it out of the various craigslist listings), but it has a component input as well, despite not being HD. The picture quality on it looks great, although the audio may have an issue with a loud buzz, not sure if it's serious as it seems to fade after a while.

Right now the NES is hooked up to the 14" and the SNES + DC to the 27", but once I get the composite+s-video switcher next week, I'll be able to switch them to whatever combination I want, whenever I want! Now all I have to do is somehow acquire friends to game with!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is there an idiot's guide to making repros anywhere? Or is it the kind of thing where it's too complicated to bother for anyone who wants an idiot's guide?

ACID POLICE posted:

I don't remember if I linked in this thread but I posted something about a sub-$20 stereo amplifier you can get on Amazon or eBay that sounds pretty great for the money (especially if you replace the main power cap and external PSU but you probably already have the kind of power supply you'd need lying around). The audio on my Wega is really muddy and tends to sound like it's echoing in a cave inside the TV. Grab some cheap/free beater speakers off CL and go wild blasting your consoles!
Funnily enough, if you look closely at the picture, you'll notice I've already hooked up some external PC speakers to the Trinitron. Although, the Sony's speakers are surprisingly decent; yeah the bass sucks but for old games it's not a huge dealbreaker. The Toshiba's speakers, on the other hand, are solidly mediocre. Not a huge surprise given the size of the TV, but I may have to get speakers for it too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

flyboi posted:

In short, unless you're really into console security and know what the gently caress you're doing, DON'T NOT ATTEMPT
Don't not attempt? Alright, I'll get right on it! :downs:

Yeah it sounds like it should stay away until I have lots more free time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

I fully understand, actually.

But yea, that's my main goal, to not pay the stupid prices certain games fetch on ebay. I already own a ton of SFC games like Chrono Trigger, Mother 2, FFV, Bahamut Lagoon... but they're all worthless to me unless they're in English. So some day, I plan on replacing the rom with an Englsh version.
Ditto.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

jyrque posted:

Everything but Terranigma. :smug:
At least you can get a repro cart for that one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

univbee posted:

assuming you don't have enough of a death wish to play Kaizo Mario and its ilk on actual hardware without savestates.
On that note, is there a list of polished Super Mario World hacks made for normal humans anywhere? I'm looking for ones that a) are more or less finished, b) have level design and puzzles that don't seem super arbitrary, and c) are possible to clear without using save states and sacrificing my firstborn to the gods of platforming. SMWCentral has a list of hacks in its database, but it's pretty absurdly huge.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

JordanFreeman posted:

Is there a go-to S-video cable for N64 and PS2? I've browsed through cables on Amazon but the reviews are all over the place.
It looks like this one has decent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-S-Video-Cable/dp/B000P6R46W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1358381308&sr=8-7&keywords=s-video+cable+snes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Quidnose posted:

How is it possible that a computer I bought in 1996 was less powerful than a gaming system that came out in 1991 and a computer that came out in the late 1980s.
It wasn't less powerful. Emulation just requires the emulating system to be much more powerful than the target system.

• Locked thread