Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

flyboi posted:

Is there any real reason to go for a SD2SNES over an Everdrive if you don't really care about MSU-1? I mean, SuperFX would be neat but at the price of the cart I could just build the two SuperFX games I'd want and I wonder if he plans to have SA1/CX4/SDD1 support or not. Only thing is games that are SA1/SDD1 all used TSOP memory instead of DIP which makes for one fugly cartridge internally.

Cx4 is supported already. Basically the only stuff now supported right now is SuperFX and SA-1 which sounds like will come within the next year. Personally I'd get a SD2SNES just so I never have to worry about it ever again. Also SD cards are a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to buy than CF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I wouldn't mind just converting some of the SFC games I have over to English. I prefer the look of SFC carts and the art is generally better.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Should I feel lucky I got my copy of Steel Battalion for 30 bucks then?

I still need to find some replacement screws for the controller though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I don't understand why if there might be some music issues why they just don't get the licenses for it. I am pretty sure the cost for what may infringe would be minimal for the amount of money they would make.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Panzer Dragoon Saga has a legit reason for being expensive though, there are only around 20,000 copies in the US. It was incredibly hard to find when it was actually released I had to jump through crazy hoops to get mine when it was new.

Earthbound on the other hand has millions of copies out there. It is just expensive due to certain segments of the Internet driving up the price and idiots thinking it is rare.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mercury Crusader posted:

You forgot Space Harrier, which is pretty much the best game on any system it's on. :colbert:

The 32X version of Virtua Fighter is, strangely, better than the first Saturn version. The Saturn version was so bad they ended up releasing Virtua Fighter Remix to fix all the lovely issues it had.

After Burner is pretty fun as well, but without that crazy arcade cabinet seat it just isn't the same.

I have to say the 32x version of Virtua Fighter is about as close to arcade as you can get without emulating it. All the other ports have weird issues or bad timing so if you are used to how the timing is in the arcade it would throw you off. I remember when I first got my Saturn and couldn't figure out why I couldn't do any of the moves and combos right until I figured that out. The 32x version feels exactly like the arcade.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There is a place near me that basically prices stuff to move. Some of their stuff is a little over price compared to let's say Ebay but there is nothing compared to the value of being able to have it in hand for a couple extra bucks.

The number one thing to worry about is profit in running a business. But what many small video game stores neglect to realize is that you need to sell things to make any profit. When I lived in Chicago there were two retro gaming shops nearby, both of them had stock that was incredibly overpriced and looked like it hadn't moved in years if not decades. You might have cool stuff to look at but if you are charging a arm, leg and kidney for it then it doesn't matter. It won't ever sell.

Setup a bargain bin for common stuff, 2-3 dollars a pop or 2 for 5 whatever. Price it to move and make a dollar or two off of each one. If you have some stuff that hasn't sold for a couple of months at the original price, drop it by a couple of bucks. Keep stock moving and make a reason for customers to come back.

I have had a idea for awhile of starting a retro rental business recently. I think in the right area it would do well although you would have to deal with theft. Perhaps putting a deposit down before being able to rent a certain tier of games ala renting systems back in the day would help with that. Or maybe RFID chips in the carts?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
How hard is it to find a working a TurboCD these days? I need to get some Composite out on my TG16 and I don't want to just buy a power base.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well I already own a TG16 so I figured it would be simpler just to buy the CD. US TurboDuos were insanely expensive last I looked.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
When I was in college I "liberated" a projector to play some Dreamcast on the side of the dorms.

Dreamcast with a VGA Box + Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on the side of a building is glorious.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well in Japan there is no rentals so the Japanese are super anal about condition of their stuff for trade in/sale value. Since everyone there takes care of their stuff really well they have to be on a crazy scale in terms of condition to give grades.

Here in America no one really seems to give a poo poo. As someone whom worked for EB Games / GameStop in the past I can say that they have no standards in trade ins. I seriously had to take in discs that were cracked because the policy forced us too. Couple that with the fact that Americans just don't seem to take care of anything.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have a spare Super Mario All-Stars + World they wouldn't mind getting rid of?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

zenintrude posted:

I have a copy of Super Mario All-Stars and a copy of Super Mario World that I don't need any more... not sure if this needs to be the rarer combined cart, though.

It doesn't need to be. I seem to be the only person on the planet that doesn't own either. What do you want for them?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's only retro by technicality, but I'm still holding off on playing through the Sega Ultimate Megadrive Collection on my PS3 until I can find a decent 6-button fightpad to do it justice. Might just resort to getting the Madcatz one and hope for the best if I can't find anything better.

I've also been playing Trails in the Sky, and started Persona 2, on my PSP (those are technically retro games by now, right?), and replaying Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner on my PS2.

Get one of the Saturn USB pads. It works perfectly fine with the PS3.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am seriously considering getting a White Japanese Saturn with my next check. Never had the white, had a grey Japanese and a Black US.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

flyboi posted:

Just don't leave them in the sunlight and they won't brown. Although considering how cheap it was to ship that you're now making me reconsider a white saturn and a spice cube enjoy pack damnit.

Hey if you are interested in a group buy of White Saturns I am in.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Anyone have experience with these USB Saturn-style controllers?

I wanted something with a good dpad to use on my computer and grabbed one off ebay for $7. Waiting for it to arrive and figured I'd see what other people thought of 'em.

I have one. The D pad on mine feels a little more squishy than on my real Saturn pads but other than that they are really solid. As a plus they work on a PS3 also, so you can have a proper fighting pad if that's your sort of thing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just a Action Replay. Mod chips are mostly used for playing burned games.

Edit: You'll play less to get an Action Replay instead of out the nose looking for the increasingly rare modchips.

Racketboy has had Saturn modchips for the last couple of years. In fact I ordered one yesterday for my White Saturn I bought as well.

Ultimately you will want both the modchip and a Action Replay. Sooner or later you will need the RAM pack from the Action Replay and the modchip will play all your games without issue.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Erays3r posted:

Thought yall might enjoy this piece of history I found on my local craigslist.

I never even heard of these prior to coming across it. Anyone familiar ?

Also , I have an odd ball NES cart. I found ghosts n goblins for the NES at a local game store , super excited about it , went home to play it and it was super mario bros 3. This cart has the correct label and everything.

I have seen those from time to time. They are incredibly rare. I would test it out before you bought it because if my memory serves me right there was a issue with the television that cropped up over time. I am sure someone else remembers it better than me.

As for the cart, what happened is someone likely rented a game and swapped out the guts. That was fairly common back in the 80s.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

WendigoJohnson posted:

Alright I'm going to order a Japanese Saturn off of Rakuten. Only thing is I'm not sure if they come complete or not. There is an array of price differences and I can't seem to tell which exact models they are other than the box art(which doesn't give individual model numbers or build variations).

What I want to do is at first play the Japanese games, then get action replay to play American games, then install a modchip. And I really can't seem to find a definitive answer to which japanese saturn will make that possible. I know there's a bunch that won't be able to do that, so I want to make sure I can get the right one.

Generally look for one with round buttons that are not the clear skeleton "This is Cool" or other odd versions other than the White color. Generally if it is a Grey or White Saturn with round buttons, not ovals, you will be fine.

And do yourself a favor and just buy a mod chip right away. It is a hell of a lot easier than dealing with a Action Replay for imports.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Midnight Raider posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but did the PAR even come out in Japan? I assume a US/PAL one wouldn't work on a Japanese Saturn for the same reason normal other-region games wouldn't.

It works fine. The cart slot has no region coding on it as far as I have ever known. Every Action Replay I have ever seen has been region free. The 4/1 AR was heavily marketed in Japan as a cheaper and easier alternative than buying the multiple different RAM carts that were out at that time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

WendigoJohnson posted:

So would the Saturn HST-0014 be the right model then? It's about 10 bucks cheaper than the gold box one.

Yeah that should be fine.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Check out Phantasy Star 2 and especially 4. Beyond Oasis is another Genesis masterpiece. I am honestly amazed Sega hasn't brought that series out of retirement. I guess like every other thing Sega does it just makes too much sense so lets instead make another lackluster Sonic game and milk the last out of PSO.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was made by a different team (I want to say the Golden Axe team) inbetween PS2 and PS4, and it was pretty heavily rushed. It's very different from the other games. I kinda like it, and it had some really cool ideas, but it really needed more time in the oven.

Yeah basically this. It is the only one that doesn't live up to the name. Granted it is not awful, it is just a average RPG. But when you compare it against 2 and 4 it makes it look much, much worse.

Also check out the Shining games and Sword of Vermilion. SoV in particular is a underrated game.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Heran Bago posted:

How are the Dreamcast SD card readers? The main site has the author PayPal blocked so I'll look around for them.

I'm also looking for templates for Genesis cart labels and box inserts. What's a good resource for that stuff?

It uses the serial port so it is ungodly slow. Honestly just burn a disc if you need to play something on a DC.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It still can't understand how they can't get the NES and Genesis sound working right. Especially the Genesis. It's not like they are using crazy special chips to do it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Look what Daddy got?

Works like a charm and came with a modchip already. Kinda wish I knew that before I bought one but oh well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

flyboi posted:

Jealous. Still waiting on my shipping total from rakuten :sigh:

Where did you get it from that it already had a modchip in it?

I bought it on EBay. Someone put it up with two white controllers and a gun for 80 bucks. I jumped on it. Oh well I have a spare mod chip in case this one craps out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

WendigoJohnson posted:

So it's been almost a week since getting the notice that Rakuten combined my order. Yet I've gotten no request for a confirmation email. It's actually been over 2 weeks since I placed the first part of the order. I have everything ready for the Sega Saturn, I got a replacement cell battery, the translated dialogue guide for Panzer Dragoon Saga and both Sakura Wars, I even have those japanese to North America plug adapters and I made a chronological spot for it between the Sega Genesis/32X/Sega CD and the Dreamcast. So I'm really itching to play the Saturn, I wonder if combining the order someone reset it's queue on their shipping list or something. :black101:

You don't need a plug adapter. Just go buy a replacement cable they are under 10 bucks just about anywhere.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh son of a bitch. I can't get Panzer Dragoon Saga to run on my new Saturn no matter what I do. I put in the Action Replay code it freezes on loading, I tried ripping my copy, patching it with a tool that removes the protection and burning new ones and it does the same thing.

drat me being fancy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah action replay is finnicky because it's entirely based on other variables(model of the AR, model of the Saturn). It's easier to play it on a Japanese Saturn and AR in the American games. I have heard that the ST Key device might work for Saturn, allthough considering the price it might be worth to just get a mod chip.

Also I sent a message to Rakuten about my order not getting a shipping quote after 3 weeks. They sent a message back saying somehow they forgot about it but will be sending me one within 24 hours.

I have a mod chip but it does nothing for region coding.

PDS has a protection in it that if you have anything in the cart slot other than a official Sega save cart it will kick you back to the CD player. I have never ran into it before since on my old Saturn I never had a cart so it was a moot point.

Now there is a AR code you can put in that should get around it or you can ips patch a ISO to remove it as well. My problem is that doing either will cause my AR cart to freeze at the loading screen when trying to boot the game.

My last trick will be trying to change the region code on the iso I made to Jap and see if it will boot then.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ACID POLICE posted:

Just use the gold version of the Sega Region Patcher and reset the region to what your system is and it'll work! I have an Action Replay too. It doesn't do complete region patching

I just tried that as well and it is still not working. I just give up. If I want to play it that bad I can buy another US Saturn. Everything else works like a charm.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Weird thing I discovered today. If you play a copy of Die Hard Arcade on a Japanese system all of the QTE will still be in Japanese no matter what language you select for the system or version of the game you play.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

iastudent posted:

I'm looking into ways to play PS1 import games on a US system and so far what I'm seeing is using a gameshark or action reply to do so, but you still have to swap discs. I'm guessing I'm just gonna have to resort to modding or importing another PS1, but if anyone knows otherwise I'd love to hear it.

Just buy or make a modchip. They are still for sale several places online or if you have access to hardware the code to flash and make your own is out there as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

madpanda posted:

Where can one get ps1 modchips nowadays?

Any certain brands/type to get? Can't imagine there being many choices

tigermods.com is one of the few places I know still selling them. The market basically died once the hexes were released and people figured out they could make their own for pennies... Well and the PS1 being dead as a doornail and not much of a market for them... And there being about 3 systems still working after all these years.

All you need are the Multi Mode 3 hexes, a USB PIC programer that costs at most 30 dollars and a 12C508, 12C508a, 12C509 or 12C509a chip which at most will run you about 3 dollars.

After that, burn your chip and solder the 6 wires to your PS1 and be done.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Midnight Raider posted:

What is a hex? I've been considering modding my PSX at some point, less for utility purposes(ironic, since it was the first system I was desperate to play Japanese games for years ago), and more for modding practice.

It is the code you program the chip with. It is just some hex code that I believe overwrites the ps1's bios functions for certain things. I am not for certain how a ps1 modchip works exactly as I have never really bothered to research it.

Modding a PS1 is pretty simple, a step up from a Saturn but still pretty easy. It is nothing like a 22-40 wire PS2 nightmare.

Back in the day I could mod one in about 5 minutes. Biggest advice I can give is get some double sided tape to put on the chip so it doesn't ever short out anything.

EDIT

Just did five minutes of reading and found out how they work. Pretty genius work and nifty reading if you are into stuff like that.

http://modchip.aeug.org/faq.html

http://members.tripod.com/Stelios_Cellar/AVR/PSX/mod_chip__Technical.htm

And here is the source code for the "Old Crow" modchip.

http://psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=125

Djarum fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 15, 2013

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I was lucky enough to grow up in Chicago so when you went to a Toys R Us, Children's Palace or Service Merchandise you always saw wild new stuff. I remember going to a random TRU in the West Loop and seeing a PC10 with Mario 3 way before even the Wizard came out. Also Chicago was a test market for all sorts of stuff. I remember at least two systems being sold around 87-88 that I never saw hair nor hide of ever again even online. Also I was lucky enough to live near a couple of arcades that Midway would put test machines at. Oh how I miss the glory days.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ACID POLICE posted:

Were they clone systems or independent systems with their own games or what? Just curious.

Independent systems with a couple of games each. For the life of me I can't remember the names but I remember the systems and controllers. The systems were on the same level as the Turbo which was also released about the same time in Chicago first. One of them had HUGE carts, like on the level of MVS carts big but thinner the other had the worst controller I have ever touched even to this day. Super thin and all the buttons were like a remote control of the day with those crappy rubber buttons. The only games I ever saw where just generic platforming junk that was nothing special, think unlicensed NES quality. which is more than likely why they never went anywhere.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ACID POLICE posted:

drat, I had no idea Chicago was like that on the video game front. That's very cool, I love finding out about failed consoles.

Evidently a bunch of US branches of publishers were based out of Chicago for years. When I was living there last I met the former marketing and PR head for Konami and later Hudson. I picked her brain for a solid hour and a half.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Timett posted:

So I just got a Saturn. It's got round buttons but in the picture in the OP they are grey but mine are black. Does this tell us anything? Any easy way to tell if I've got the Model 2 that's harder to mod (sanyo?) ?

Edit... Whenever I get a used console I open it up and clean it out. I can't seem to find a good video for this purpose for the Saturn (yet). Is it pretty straight forward?

Open it up and see if you have the 32 or 64 pin model. If it has round buttons it is likely a 32. If it is a Sanyo there isn't a mod for that, so you are SOL.

As for cleaning it, just open it up and blow out and dust if there is any. The Saturn is mostly empty space and doesn't get too dirty inside. Sega and Nintendo build their systems like a tank thank god. Wish Sony and Microsoft would have learned that lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I remember Capcom was looking to bring it over here and then Sega collapsed. There was talk of a ps2 port as well but that went nowhere I imagine as well.

• Locked thread