Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Speaking of which, I plan on building an emulation box in the somewhat near/middling future. NES, SNES, SMS, SG, SCD, S32X...any other good systems to add? I'd lump in N64 but the only controllers I plan on buying are 2 of these when the price drops again: http://www.madcatz.com/sfxtekken/fightpads.html

Plan on it being a Win7 box that can double as a decent desktop using a TV (HDMI) as display output. How much is too much in terms of hardware? It's not for me and she won't be playing new games on it but if I'm going to build it, I might as well make it last. Need help figuring out where the overkill point is though.

EDIT: Also planning on using it to stream movies from the HD. Nice quality but not BlueRay. Don't want it to stutter.

If you're not planning to PC game, don't bother with a dedicated graphics card. Also, especially if you intend to do more recent consoles like PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast, you will want a CPU with a fast clock speed (as in as many GHz as you can get), this is more important than multiple cores for this usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Something I haven't seen discussed in the OP or the first/last batch of pages: recommended controllers. It is a colossal pain in the rear end to track down original controllers for SNES and a few other systems. Are any third-party controllers any good these days? Are there retro-friendly controllers made with more modern, wear-resistant components, or is your best bet hoping to find original mostly unused controllers?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mostly get burned on the shipping, it seems. I'm going to try and track down a single seller I can buy a pile of controllers from and ship in a single lot to offset it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I don't remember, did I mod yours for digital audio? If so, what did you think?

What did you think of the system using the s-video mod I did? Did you see a huge difference from your old SNES?

That's a terrible idea. Then you won't be able to get them for $5 and clean them up, good as new!

I love buying "as is" SNES systems on eBay because it's dirt cheap and 99% of the time it's just a broken fuse.

I would kill for your skills and steady hands right about now. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Eh there's people way, way better than me out there, and it took me a month of staring at the schematics to figure it out :saddowns:

Will staring at schematics long enough make my hands shake less? :smithicide:

Some Sega Genesis clarification since it's not clear in the OP: the Genesis Model 1 is better quality than the Model 2, correct? And in order to get stereo sound with the model one, you have to jack into the headphone jack at the front of the unit? Or does the SCART cable somehow work around that? I ask because Model 1 composite cable sets only have a single white audio jack, while the Model 2 equivalent has both the white and red, and discussion online suggests the Model 1 can't output stereo from its AV jack.

The :retrogames: begins.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Weren't you the guy whose hand got hurt in an accident? I told ya I'd do your mod for free.

If this was in response to my post, no, no accidents, I just have really unsteady hands. And we've never discussed a modding arrangement, paid or otherwise.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oh okay; well if there's some sort of SNES mod you are dying for or something I am sure I can help you out :frogbon:

Thank you, I'll almost certainly be taking you up on this at some point. I have three Genesises (?) on the way and will probably start an SNES hunt before long.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

triplexpac posted:

So I finished reading through that "Let's Break FF6" LP again, it's great. Are there any others like it? Any interesting glitches in other Square RPGs, like Chrono Trigger?

Let's Break Pokémon Blue

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Blue/

midge posted:

As someone about to downsize to a 600sq foot place, I think I need this.

I guess the collection is going into storage! :/

HyperSpin is pretty awesome, although getting the most out of it requires a few accounts (totaling $90 for a lifetime) and a HUGE time commitment tweaking everything to work right.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

To be honest I probably don't have the time to mod 3 Genesis' (why do you want so many?!) as I thought you needed something on the SNES done; coupled with the fact that I don't think there's much modding that really needs to be done to a Genesis? It outputs RGB natively and is incapable of digital audio modding.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant it more as a "I'm in this for keeps" comment and not "I want you to mod these." I got a 3-system lot on eBay (two model 1s with the high definition text and one model 2) that was in the same province as me and was therefore cheaper after shipping than every non-broken single system I could find. Only downside is I need to scrounge up cables, but those are easier to ship and find.

midge posted:

So it's settled. I'll give $100 to someone that can give me it fully working with no bullshit!

...I have a low bullshit threshold. That's why I can't get behind all this jail-bar rear end fuckery. I appreciate the hard work, but I just don't have time.

Oh how I wish it were that simple. Hyperspin is also unique in that it doesn't really have a one-size-fits-all configuration; it's pretty much designed to be a timesink that you tinker with, like model trains. Not to mention no standard controls. All of its ROM databases are US-centric, too, and the European and Japanese databases are essentially non-existant. So any non-US commercial game you want to add is something you have to rig together, make clipart/gameplay videos for...

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 4, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wixard posted:

I just looked and noticed that Hyperspin subscription service for updating clipart, videos, etc. I bought a lifetime membership to Emumovies.com for that years ago, any idea if those are (mostly) the same database?

They are separate databases. When I signed up, Hyperspin members could get a discount on an emumovies membership (like 20 or 25%), not sure if there's a similar deal in reverse. Check the emumovies forums, there might be something there.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 4, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hyperspin has a paid account that gives you access to an application called HyperSync, which, when paired with a paid emumovies account giving you FTP access for game preview movie downloads, will do all of the heavy lifting for the Hyperspin frontend visuals. Getting both of them will run you something like $90 (one will give you a discount to the other, you have to message someone in their forums) and is for life.

Some of the media isn't perfect, though. There are nicer frontend files than the ones HyperSync will give you in some cases; the preview video for the PlayStation console is actually a glitched encode that sends HyperSpin into a panic if you hover over it for more than a minute.

Once this is done you will have to drop in the ROMs themselves, and configure all of the emulators. You configure Hyperspin using ini files, both for the main interface, and for each individual console, which will tell it the path to the emulator you use (and any relevant commandline switches). All Hyperspin does is when you select a game, it'll do a Windows run command of "[Emulator path + switches] [ROM path]" using the info you give it.

Once this is done, you can further edit the ini files if you want to do things like edit out certain games (by either deleting or commenting them out) or even entire consoles. HyperSync is smart enough that you can tell it to only download media for stuff you actually have, which is kind of important since all of it is something like 200 gigs. Of course, if you mess around with these files and then update them it'll gently caress up your copies, so you'll definitely want backups once you have things nice and sturdy.

I think emulators can be a bit hit-or-miss on how well they'll cooperate with HyperSpin; I think PlayStation emulators, for example, are kind of fussy since they generally won't let you open ISO files directly, you have to mount them with Daemon Tools (which I think HyperSpin can interface with).

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 4, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RadicalR posted:

So I bought myself an old PSX with a parallel port on it.
Now if one wanted to play import games on it, I know there are those GameShark dongles for it.

Would this be the best thing to get? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-PlaySta...=item3f1fb84e56

Unless there are parallel port dongles I don't know about, I don't think they could bypass the main region code/valid disc check. The Gameshark was specifically to bypass a software-level check some games implemented but you still needed the console itself to have a modchip to deal with the hardware-level bootup check.

VV Well I learned something today.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 5, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, this guy has ludicrous amount of money.

Someone on another board posted:

All my consoles are RGB (even my NES) and I have an XRGB Mini Framemeister ($500) going to a DVDO Edge upscaler ($700) going to a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma TV.

Does daisy chaining upscalers like this actually have some sort of non-placebo effect, or is this just straight "PSX-1001 is the best CD Player"-level madness?

EDIT retro_console_accessories doesn't ship outside of the U.S. Looks like it's forever composite/s-video for me. :negative:

VV I love you.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 6, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SassyRobot posted:

I'm still looking for a way to convert RF to something more modern.

VCRs are just oddly overpriced and I ain't droppin' :10bux: on one unless I know that it'll work for my purposes.

The challenge with RF is that it doesn't carry a raw AV signal, but instead has it modulated to a specific TV channel's frequency, so for all intents and purposes an RF converter box needs to have a built-in TV tuner (which will vary based on what continent you're on). IIRC a VCR should be able to make this work using its built-in tuner. You set the channel on the VCR and it'll output correctly to the TV using composite. I don't think any consoles that use RF will carry a stereo signal, so if you can get a mono VCR for cheaper just get that. This has worked for me in the past but may vary from one VCR model to the next.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the_lion posted:

Bit curious about buying an SD2SNES. What's the best way to know when they're instock? Do they normally sell out quickly?

From poking around both sites where they're available, it looks like you can't add it to cart at all if it's out of stock.

A more specific SD2SNES question: there was discussion about a potential revision in future that would offer SuperFX support. What I'm not sure of, is if this meant there was a present-but-non-working SuperFX chip in the SD2SNES, and it would just need a firmware update, or if this would need an entirely new SD2SNES board.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Antillese posted:

Yeah, that's a great find. Nice job. Now you'll have enough :retrogames: to go and get pretty much the rest of them.

"Every Super Nintendo game for $25k"

e: For additional context, this is Byuu's reference collection that he was using for BSNES development.

Well, he certainly did his homework; there's even the one French Canadian SNES game in his package (Link to the Past). Finally found some of those on eBay, but they start at $70 after shipping and getting the box tacks on an extra few hundred. Maybe next lifetime.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

The Neo Geo version is better. :colbert:

But you can't play as Fernandez/Fernandeath on the Neo Geo version. :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fffff that NES/Famicom Everdrive. I'm never going to see money again, am I?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus, you guys' secret santas...how in the hell do these packages not exceed $50? I think it'd cost me that much just in shipping costs for some of the stuff I've seen, let alone the actual cost of the contents. Some amazing packages all around.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

iastudent posted:

Those GBA flash carts work as well with a Game Boy Player, I assume?

As long as you get a flash cart with original dimensions (i.e. not designed to be flush in a DS Lite) and it doesn't require a DS Slot 1 card, it'll work exactly the same.

I think because of the way the GBA handles stuff, most flash carts need the ROMs put on them a certain way, and a parallel file created for saving. The save data generally gets stored internally in the flash cart via battery backup, which is then dumped to the save file on the card the next time the system is turned on. Finally, while this shouldn't be a problem nowadays, these flash carts generally transfer the ROM to internal memory which is then used for the game, and has an upper limit. Mother 3 is a 32 megabyte (256 megabit) game, and this is pretty much the upper limit of any commercial releases. Other than the "you have to reboot the system to write your save data permanently" thing the games perform identically to an original cart.

Other than the Mother 3 English translation, I can also recommend the version of Final Fantasy V with corrected sound, and Final Fantasy VI with corrected sound and color. As an added bonus, both games have an orchestral recording in those version; V has the entire opening act, and VI has the entire opera sequence with Japanese vocals. You lose stereo for both games, though.

Incidentally, I just braved quite a bit of snow and rain to pick up my Neo Geo X shipment and haven't seen any mention of that anywhere on the forums today unless I'm blind. Anyone want to know anything about it?

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 19, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GodDAMN it, I set up this whole post about Chinese bootlegs before I sat down and read the notice properly and realized what it was actually saying. I'm...not very good with attention spans. So have some Famicom bootleg cart pictures! Hey, it's part of my retro childhood.

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, rebranded as Mario Baby, and thus played by a few spoiled kids who had to play all the Mario games. At least it was actually a good game, if not a proper Mario title. Although when you got to the last boss (after beating the snake) it just reset the game, throwing you violently back to the title screen. I had to see the Game Center CX episode before I found out there was a boss I didn't know about and that the game didn't just have the world's shittiest ending.

The phone number to the place on the back of the box is a Montreal area code.

The ribbon on the 60-to-72-pin adapter was to allow you to pull out the cartridge easily from a front-loading NES.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So, Neo Geo X.

Various impressions:

The box is rather huge, with two identical boxes inside. One holds the arcade stick, the other holds everything else. The system includes both an HDMI cable (mini-HDMI to regular HDMI) and a composite stereo cable with a 3.5mm end. The manual is quite insistant on the system only being chargeable using the console shell.

It took quite a few tries to get the Neo Geo X to connect internally correctly, the 3.5mm AV cable was having a hard time getting in. It also took a while to power on in a way that gave me a screen response (like 10ish seconds from when I pressed power).

The menu is super bare bones, to the point that it reeks of an interface on some unofficial hardware like a lower-grade GBA flash cart or something. The only meaningful system option I had was to specify NTSC or PAL. Which brings up the next gotcha.

The handheld itself has dedicated buttons to switch the aspect ratio, but as far as I can tell, when hooking up via HDMI you are forced into 16x9 with no option I could find to change it (I even opened the console and pushed the buttons on the handheld without success). So the only way I found to get 4x3 was to use Miyamotos RGB NES' favorite connector: composite through a 3.5mm cable.

The manual did have this gem in it:

quote:

Opinion on our team is divided as to wether [sic] we prefer the HDMI version or the more retro AV version gaming experience. It would be useful for us to know which version you prefer. [contact email]

Games themselves felt reasonably authentic from what I remember, with a very slight vertical tearing I'm not sure is my TV or not. Interlacing looked like it was faithful, but I sadly don't have a tube-based TV or experience with the original Neo Geo to make an objective comparison.

The Stick

The Stick itself was surprisingly light, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your intended usage. The stick clicks in each corner. The buttons feel fine but this isn't what I'd call an arcade-quality stick, but seemed to be suitable to my lackluster play. Uses a standard USB connector (non-detachable from the joystick end).

It was hard to gauge the stick's quality because a lot of games haven't aged well control-wise. I couldn't do special moves for the life of me in Art of Fighting (something like a 20% success rate) which was always an issue with that game. Had better luck when I switched to KOF95.

I hooked it up to my PS3 and it pretty much worked out-of-the-box with Persona 4 Arena, controls are mapped in a way that's appropriate to the game (ABCD are Square Cross Triangle Circle, respectively).

I hooked it up to my Windows 7 PC and the drivers downloaded and installed without issue. The button mappings are weird, though, as it shows 13 buttons while the controller only has 6. ABCD were 1243, respectively, and Select and Start were 9 and 10.

Since the WWE Stick can be had for $30 on Amazon you're almost certainly better serviced by it for non-Neo Geo stuff.

I still have to try it as an actual handheld, but its value will really depend on if it's worth $200 to you for those specific 21 games plus an authentic-ish Neo Geo stick. I'm crossing my fingers that there's either an official Waku Waku 7 release (not very likely) or someone figures out how to make your own SD cards for the system (hopefully likely?)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't most modern TV's have the option to set the screen ratio to 4:3?

Most TVs don't allow this with the HDMI inputs because the signal it receives is by definition non-4:3 (1280x720, 1920x1080 etc.) In fact, most Blu-ray discs for 4:3 material simply make a 1920x1080 frame with black bars on either side of the screen. The actual used area is 1440x1080 but there's 240 black pixel columns on either side.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Ugh. I'm glad I decided not to preorder, then. I guess I'll stick with my CMVS.

Also forgot to mention, there's a "slot" with "flaps" for a cartridge, but the thing is completely sealed and doesn't budge (if it did it would crush the handheld inside). There is something spooky about playing a system that looks like it requires a cartridge, but works. I had poltergeist shivers.

Katana Gomai posted:

WHAT THE poo poo IS THAT?

OK, that's pretty awesome, especially how the synopsis modifications are there for all the languages.

Welp there goes my weekend. Did you use an "all in one" patch, or applying both separately worked fine for you?

Oh please tell me someone did this for A Link to the Past GBA as well :pray:

IIRC applying both separately works fine. I did a google search for "final fantasy vi restoration color sound" and found everything in the first result, I think.

This is one thing I find really frustrating about the GBA, is that it had a ton of amazing SNES re-releases with kickass retranslations, but it still doesn't quite look and sound as good as the original SNES game. But when you go back to the SNES you have to deal with relatively lousy translations and missing content.

VV The French, while it has errors, came out a lot better than what I would expect. "Tearing through stages" threw it off, though.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 19, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks; I searched this too but got people saying the game crashes at random locations, some people saying they had zero issues, some people saying it does not work with the US release, so googling made things worse for me (hence why I asked you :) ).

I think one of the google sites has pre-patched ROMs, but if you take the patch route, they might need to be done in a certain order, and for both FFV and FFVI they MUST be applied to the European version of the game, they won't work on the US version (the Euro versions have 5 languages and the guy making the patch felt that made the most sense to expose it to as many people as possible).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So simply making the game mono allowed them to double the bitrate? I mean who the hell cares about a GBA game having stereo, anyway? Why wasn't this done on retail releases more often?

The original Game Boy really hammered the "Stereo Sound" angle in advertisements and it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo had some form of 'you must have stereo in your game' rule for all their post-NES games.

StellarX posted:

Can the patched versions be played on a flash cart with no problem? Not sure if the patch was just designed for emulation or not. I'd still love to play through those remakes on my handheld someday.

Yes, I've played it on a GBA flash cart no problem.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So, rock on Canada Post, for delivering on Sunday (as an exceptional "Get all the Christmas stuff out" run), I just received my discounted XRGB3. If anyone was still hesitating, I have three words for you.

Full

Screen

PSP.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vrikkian posted:

Univ, any reason why you have two Wiis?

Modded and unmodded, basically.

Quidnose posted:

Holy poo poo that looks loving awesome.

Can you post pics of how old consoles look on? :retrogames:

I'm actually having a hard time getting composite and S-video playing nicely. Both my NES and SNES come out like a really old TV with the saturation set so high it distorts the picture. I'm quite sure there's a setting I have to find, but it's proving to be quite a hunt.

VV Yes, Component cable. I don't think they were the official Sony ones, but they work.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 23, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Robolizard! posted:

That looks like a dsub cable (same thing). If you just want to scale psp games there are cheaper options though (how much was the discounted xrgb3)

It's a D-Terminal to comonent adapter, actually.

Was still $330CAD after shipping, but given the strength of the yen it wasn't too bad (the root cost of the unit was 25000 yen).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did a backwards-and-forwards search through the options in my XRGB3 but can't for the life of me figure out where the issue is. All I can think of is the NTSC Dot Clock but it takes bloody ages to make progress in it, I'll try that maybe tomorrow unless someone has a better suggestion.

Midnight Raider posted:

Third, the "Video" in the upper corner of the screen never disappears.

If you get your hands on a compatible remote, you can make this disappear, usually with a "display" button or some such.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

What do you mean, are the PSP titles on PSN downloadable and playable on a PS3? Cause if I can just download FFIV:CC I can skip the whole damned PSP.

No, unfortuantely. There are three categories of PSP-compatible titles, each with their own matrix of what they will and won't work on:

PSP UMDs - These are the physical discs in the sort of white caddies, and require a PSP that isn't a PSP Go or PS Vita. The only English-released worthwhile game I can think of off the top of my head that isn't available as a PSN Download is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy.
PSN Mini - These are download-only games and are both very cheap (usually a few bucks on PSN, I think $10 max), and very small (they have a 100 meg game size limit). These will work on a PSP, a PS Vita, AND a PS3. There aren't any noteworthy games I'm aware of, they're common as freebies with a PlayStation Plus account.
PSN Downloadable full PSP games - These are download versions of games available on UMD. These will work on a PSP Go as well as a PS Vita (usually, there are Vita-incompatible exceptions), but will not run on a PS3, although they can be downloaded with a PS3 and transferred to a PSP from there.

Something I just realized: PSP and PS Vita are the only consoles where you can, if so desired, play through Final Fantasies 1-9 legitimately, the first six of which sporting relatively new translations. You'd need a backwards-compatible PS3 to round out the rest of them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:retrogames: option: Track down a Wreck-it Ralph cabinet Disney made to promo the movie, they made something like 12 of them. One was being sold on eBay a month or so back for $7500 or so.

F-Zero AX is probably one of the best ultra-rare games, but good luck finding one.

I got my XRGB working with S-Video/Composite finally, it just needed a firmware reset. It actually gave really solid output all-around, but only once configured correctly. There also seems to be a bit of a weird glitch for a specific setting in the XRGB firmware I'm using.

Basically the XRGB-3 will take anything pre-HDMI input-wise and output it like a champ over VGA or DVI (and DVI-to-HDMI, but apparently not all TVs will take the signal it outputs, as it won't have HDCP and other shortcomings). The XRGB-mini has a more limited input set (no VGA-in, for example) but has proper HDMI-out and seems to be a much more no-fuss solution.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

insidius posted:

So with the XRGB-MINI the theory is you use a box with multiple inputs and feed it into the mini and than the mini into the HD source? Im still digesting some of the OP in regards to S-Video/Scart and what not and how it applies to PAL models.

The jist of the OP, more or less, is that you convert everything to SCART, and hook it up to the RGB port in the front using that special cable. Every pre-Dreamcast console can be wired into SCART somehow, and is the best connector for that console. After that, the Dreamcast used VGA (although some games aren't compatible with this), and the PS2, Gamecube, Wii, original Xbox and PSP used component or D-Terminal. Assuming you have a Wii-U, as well as a first-gen PS2-backwards-compatible PS3 and don't want to play any original Xbox games not on this list, you only need component/D-Terminal for PSP and Gamecube.

So if you had infinite money, you'd get that SCART switcher, hook up all your pre-2000s consoles to that, and feed that to an XRGB-mini, with the Component consoles hooked up to its own switcher feeding to the D-Terminal port on the back. You will still have a free composite/s-video plug on the front if, for example, you don't want to :retrogames: on RGB-modding your NES (although you can get a composite-to-scart cable for that anyway)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dreamcast VGA talk! There's a British guy on eBay who sells VGA boxes for 25 pounds, and it seems to be the most cost-effective option that's a proper box with S-Video fallback and not just VGA cables. Mine has a slightly spotty audio out jack but I got it working by orienting my cables a certain way.

Also worth hunting down is DCRES, a.k.a. Dreamcast Resurrection images of games. Basically someone made a best-of collection of Dreamcast games and engineered disc images where the files are layed out as efficiently as possible on the disc, both to improve load times and to reduce wear on the laser assembly expending effort to seek data. The games are also mostly, if not all, VGA patched; I played its release of Capcom vs. SNK 1 in VGA just a few days ago. I need more VMUs, as there are some hungry hungry games on that console.

Man, though, the quality of voice acting and English translations in those days wasn't pretty.

While I'm amassing a nice library of the consoles themselves, I'm also hesitant on collecting the games themselves, as that's just asking for trouble, especially with nearly-perfect flash cart solutions existing. I have a closetful of giant PC game boxes I need to sort through and get rid of because my house is getting a serious A&E Hoarders vibe at the rate I'm going.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

sandpiper posted:

Is it possible, because my capture card has DVI input, just to use those VGA to DVI cheap plastic adapters to run a Dreamcast to it?

Possible, but not guaranteed without knowing more about the capture card. DVI is only really standardized for the digital pins, the analog pins can vary, if they even exist. It's possible to have DVI ports where they'll only work with a digital signal, meaning converting to VGA won't work. But if you know that card can capture analog through that port some other way, there should be some way of making it work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

sandpiper posted:

Well, I posted about it earlier in this thread. It's capable of even processing the 240p Genesis signal, it's the StarTech I espoused as being the best possible all-around capture card for its money that can do everything from component to DVI to HDMI straight into it.

I was just thinking about the best possible way to get Dreamcast video (I also posted how I got SCART -> component into the card to capture Saturn footage at extremely high quality). Just look for my huge blogposts earlier in the thread, I'll summarize it here. I don't think it made it into the OP even though the thread creator stated he'd throw it in.

That does look awesome, and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As for twisting screws to get correct colors, I'm starting to think SMPTE color bar ROMs are needed for all the old consoles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The NES is a pretty simple device, relatively speaking, and its only real issue is a bad cart connector design. It's extremely easy to get a replacement connector and replace it, though, and there's a simple way to disable the lockout chip to improve game stability as well. I've never heard of an NES failing in a way it couldn't be easily repaired without something specifically happening to it (electrical surcharge, fire etc.).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dammit, you guys, what have you done to me?!

My aunt is getting rid of a 27" Sony Trinitron and I said I'd take it despite my back spasming from phantom pains at the mere thought of hauling that thing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HKR posted:

So I spent all evening installing the modchip.

:stonk: Jesus, I never realized more recent modchips had so many wires. I think the PS1 and Dreamcast ones had, like, 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crimson Harvest posted:

Earthbound auction I put up ended last night. Once the money goes from paypal to my bank account I can start looking for a SD2SNES. I noticed that both retrogate and Stone Age Gamer are out of stock. Does anyone know of any other online shops that carry it?

I've been keeping an eye on this since I'm hoping to get one soon as well, but there aren't really other North American stores (there are a bunch in Europe that'd probably be murder on shipping and duties, and come in PAL cartridge cases). More boards are supposedly going to be ready some time this month, with Stone Age Gamer's Deluxe Edition tentatively planned for February/March.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 2, 2013

• Locked thread