Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hey retro thread, just a heads up- this is something "upuptriangle" on eBay feels isn't worth mentioning or taking pictures of in an auction:

(This is a Japanese Saturn game, the dude tore off the English side label and glued it over the Japanese side label, presumably so the game wouldn't sit the wrong way on a shelf :spergin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Does the Hudson Joycard work with an NES or am I going to be tempted to get the whole console too? A USB adapter is an option too I just want that controller.

There is a US version that connects to the NES, it's branded as the "Sansui Joycard"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Group buy please.

This seriously needs to happen, any Aus goons up to it?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was looking through a Japanese bilingual book I had about the Famicom and noticed an interview with Satoshi Tajiri in the back, which talks about the early days of Game Freak and Famicom development related to Mendel Palace. I transcribed it at my lovely blog for you fine people:

http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/68987255305/

The English translation was an afterthought to the publishers and it shows, but you can still make out what he's talking about most of the time. One day I'd like to find a second copy of this book and scan the whole thing, it's really cool!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just discovered that Hori sold NES controllers in the US market as "Shinsei", I just got the US version of this stick for around $14:

Shinsei Hyper Stick

This thing is awesome for Star Force/Soldier and related caravan stuff, it's really the way stuff like what was meant to be played (it's OK if you use turbo, those games were pretty much just ads for Hudson's Joycards unless you were Takahashi Meijin). It's also heavy and has a well built quality that is very rare for NES accessories. The stick is not "clicky", but I don't think anyone's playing tournament level Yie Ar Kung Fu, it's fine for shooters.

They also sold Hori's excellent Famicom pads here in a matching color scheme, this image is from an eBay auction I just hit BIN on for under $5 (!):

Shinsei Hyper Controller

Just a heads up if you want good Hori stuff for your NES but don't want to pay insane prices for imports. They are marked "Made in Japan" so I don't assume these are Chinese knockoffs or anything, and the quality is way too good.

Edit: An earlier version of that Hori stick was actually the official Famicom stick! I guess like what the NES Advantage was here, although this thing's button feel destroys the Advantage. Jesus christ I love the original color scheme for Famicom stuff..

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 15, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Strange but really interesting to hear. I've never seen that stick before. Does it take up 2 controller ports like the NES Advantage too?

Nope, the Japanese ones do have this ability though, as the Famicom's accessory port can handle that, if you look at the Japanese ones you can see a "I-II" switch that's missing on US ones.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

Jesus. That is literally something I'd consider buying a PSP for. I am a huge goddamn Ridge Racer fan.

I should not be buying a PSP.

I'm also a huge Ridge Racer fan, and you want the PSP version if you liked 6 and 7 because it's basically the prototype for those gameplay-wise. Personally I love those games so I think the PSP one is awesome but some people hate nitrous boosting and fun or something.

EDIT:

superh posted:

Is there a "little known good psp" list?

I like Thexder Neo and Hammerin' Hero, both are great examples of retro game updates done right. Thexder Neo is download only and is also available on PS3.

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 16, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I never got to try 6 or 7. I don't even know what systems they're on.

6 is on 360 and 7 is on PS3, they're both pretty similar and change up the RR formula a bit, you get nitrous boosts that are charged by drifting; some people hate this and some don't mind. RR6 has an incredible soundtrack, it's my second favorite RR soundtrack after R4 (probably the best racing game soundtrack ever).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

An arcade near me has Raiden IV (in a candy cab :swoon:) and I've made it my mission in life to 1CC that thing, even bought Raiden IV for the 360 to practice. I'm really good at console caravan style shooters (Star Soldier, Blazing Lazers etc) but those skills do not translate to stuff like Raiden where the developers are actively trying to kill you as soon as possible so the next quarter or yencoin or whatever can enter the machine. It's a great game though and a lot better than the slightly disappointing III, though still by the same developers, a different team than I-II. I need a good arcade stick for the 360 though, playing shooters with a pad is agonizing although maybe it's a good practice tool, like a baseball player putting weights on his bat :v:.

EDIT: Check out the awesome Designers' Republic-esque package and manual for the DOS version of Raiden 1! Weirdly, I found this at one of those shady as hell electronics stores that are always in touristy downtown areas (Miami). These are also great places to find poo poo like GBA multicarts and sometimes older games/imports because they just let everything sit there if it doesn't sell, this is also how I got my Pocketstation and a bunch of import Dreamcast games.

Click for big

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 16, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have a Twin Famicom on it's way to me, I'm super excited about it but I hear there is a weird audio filter on those, from what I understand you only have to remove one capacitor. Has anyone in this thread performed this mod and can confirm it doesn't screw anything else up? I assume the filter is there for a reason and not just to make the sound lovely.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

Personally I think everyone who says you should clip it out is crazy and insane because the NES was always way too bright and sharp to my ears.

You know what I've always kinda felt the same. If all the cap does is chill that out a bit I'd be cool with it, but some of the stuff I've read (random websites and forums from Google) make it seem like it's a horrible nuisance and I can't really tell from Youtube videos through my PC speakers, I really need to hear it through my TV.

EDIT: Regarding the Fami vs NES vs whatever debate, I also have a NES>FC converter coming and a NES>FC controller adapter, a Twin with this sort of setup seems like a great choice. The one I ordered apparently has a brand new belt and comes with a bunch of random disk/cart games (all of the disks are bootleg aside from Zelda and Tokimeki):

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 18, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Oh yeah. So Rad Racer II is one of my favorite racing games, I know that's kind of weird but whatever. This is kind of a long shot but I've heard this specific game is one of the very few NES games that is incompatible with some NES>FC converters, from what I've heard it's the kind where the cartridge faces the opposite way when you plug it into the FC. I ordered one of these because the cart faces forward and that's apparently how "good" NES>FC converters are but it's really hard to tell what constitutes good with grey market stuff (pics from ebay auction, nothing has arrived yet):

Does anyone have experience with these converters? I'm not exactly gonna die if I can't play Rad Racer II, and I still have my toaster if it comes to that but it would be nice if these worked or if you know of one that does.

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 18, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Those have problems with some mmc5 games and some other stuff; its issues are fixable though

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/nes-to-fc-adapter-compatibility-fix-powerpak-audio-wiring-t27.html

theres probably a better link and description somewhere else.

Yeah, I've seen that link before, but that looks like a different converter, mine's probably gonna have the same problem though.

I know next to nothing about working on electronics, sadly. I don't really want to screw up my converter by trying to learn. When I get mine and if it doesn't work, do any hardware goons want to do this mod for me? I'll send you the converter and the RRII cart to test (don't really want to send the Fami though, so I guess you gotta have one of those), and PayPal you whatever you think is a fair price for your work+shipping fees (to a point, I'm not loaded :v:). PM me or something!

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 18, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There's something horrifically wrong with the concept of importing Top Gun.

I actually bought this lot from a guy in Arizona, and it looks like he might have gotten it all in one package deal too, or might be the original owner who came here from Japan. Other pictures show a lot of the games and disks have writing on the backs in Japanese in the same blue marker and handwriting. Taken as a whole it looks like a really typical set of games that a "casual" Japanese gamer would have owned during the Famicom boom (why the hell was Formation Z so popular??).

I'm probably going to end up giving most of those games away as silly gifts, I see them as a bonus since the whole set didn't cost much more than a Twin Fami imported from Japan would have with shipping. Seeing what's on those bootleg disks is gonna be interesting though- the writing all over them suggests their original programs have been overwritten probably a few times.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Serious answer: it came out shortly before Super Mario Bros and featured a giant transforming robot. Basically, right place for the Famicom explosion, early enough that there wasn't competition from good games, and had a theme guaranteed to separate innocent Japanese children from their money (much like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did over here).

Wow that actually makes perfect sense!

Farecoal posted:

Wait, Super Mario Bros wasn't a launch title for the Famicom? What were the launch titles?

Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Popeye. In 1983. It was a WHILE until SMB.

EDIT:

Here's a set of articles I wrote about those very early days of the Famicom and the rationalization for the games that -always- appear on multicarts that some people in the US wonder about (I forgot to look into Formation Z!)

http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/69340584805/
http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/69361193888/

TL;DR: A good multicart is cool because it's like a greatest hits compilation of the first wave of popular Famicom games, most of which either didn't come out here or came too late to have any real impact because they were released alongside "better" (more advanced) games.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 18, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I have a real copy of Rad Racer II at home, and this exact converter. As soon as I get home from Christmas vacation I will check it out for you.

I may already have it by the time your vacation ends, it's on it's way to me from HK now. Thanks anyway though!

Random Stranger posted:

When I was researching the Game Center CX book I came across another case of this with Space Hunter.

Hah, I was playing a ROM of that last night it's awful. I didn't know there was a GCCX book and a goon(s?) worked on it, got a link to where I can get a thing like that? I only just started reading this thread again for the first time in years.

EDIT:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Its the same. The one you bought was just a clone without a case. The fix should be the same. Its possible they actually fixed it, but from what I saw they still warn you on the ebay page, and noone here has specifically mentioned they played CV3 on it without issue.

Yeah this is what I expect as well honestly.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone know of a PCE/TG16->USB adapter? There's a certain "XEllent" PCE stick I'd like to use with my computer :v:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A few pages ago I posted about some Hori NES controllers sold in the US by "Shinsei", the pad controller came today and this is seriously the best NES controller I've ever used. Previously my favorite was the Hudson/Sansui Joycard but this is a bit thinner and the top is rounded with some grooves for your fingers to rest in, it feels less like holding a brick and still has very high quality components. I really recommend picking one of these up if you can find it, mine was only $5 from eBay!

Shinsei Hyper Controller with it's matching stick and other NES controllers

Grooves on top, these make the controller super comfortable.

Another controller I'm interested in is the Bandai Super Controller II:

It was sold in the US as the Bandai Mega Controller and weirdly shares the same color scheme and box style as the Shinsei/Hori stuff:

It looks kinda uncomfortable to use but still very cool, it has a built in shooting watch and also a minigame where you catch falling blocks, it's battery powered so you can use these functions anywhere. Here's another video of this weird thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2PVC6APSlc

One of these days I want to pick up the Famicom version, mainly because I never bought a shooting watch before Hudson went out of business and now they're super expensive. I don't really expect a comfortable controller though.

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 21, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SassyRobot posted:

Raktuen Day the Second is finally here! Come get some twenty-or-so year-old plastic :toot:!

Holy Diver, Die Hard and Namco Star Wars! Apart from some chrome rub on Star Wars they look fantastic. Holy Diver's also got a back label with various info, a tiny screenshot and a little space left for the owner to write their name. The space has never been written in :3:.

Star Wars is the first Famicom game that I've seen with a label on the top of the cartridge. There's also something... kinda weird about it...

:stare:

Hey out of curiosity, how much did Holy Diver run you? I've searched Rakuten and can't find it but was it less than the $40-$60 it goes for on eBay? I've never actually bought anything from Rakuten, so I'm kind of ignorant about it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SassyRobot posted:

1480 yen :toot:. If only the cartridge weren't being so stubborn right now, but :(.

:drat: What did you search for to find it? I've tried bothe Romaji and the Kanji title from it's wikipedia entry and it turns up nothing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I missed out on Secret Santa this year (next year for sure!!) but my presents to myself came:

It's so cool :swoon:

Whoever said not to mod the low pass filter was right, I actually like the way it sounds a lot more than a NES.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

Where the gently caress do I get that ASCII controller

eBay, from the usual Japanese gougers mostly :(

I lucked out and found one in Pennsylvania and didn't get burned on shipping, these seemed pretty popular as far as FC sticks go, it's not something like the Micomsoft XE-1 FC where it's impossible to find and stupid expensive. It'll run you like $50-70 depending on condition.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 24, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

drat that is a ridiculously nice stick. Pairs beautifully with the Twin Fami. :allears:

Yeah, the quality of this thing really blew me away. I love the red LED lights on the top panel which light up corresponding to what you're doing/how the turbo's operating:

Those lights may be more than just cosmetic too. This thing has something I've never seen before on a stick- tape output:

I seriously thought this was a typo or something until I checked the manual and found this (click for big):

I can't read Japanese so I don't know exactly what this is for but it might be a primitive way to "save" games that can't be saved by literally recording your progress and then playing it back next time, setting the timing up for that must be a total bitch though. Does anyone have some more insight into this or could maybe read the Japanese in the manual?

EDIT: I just realized from the manual player showing two controllers it might also be a way to record yourself or a friend playing as the second player in a two player game, weeeeird.

d0s fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 24, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There's lots of ways on a Famicom to seed your psuedo-random number generator so that a player will not be able to effectively manipulate it and I suspect that while few programmers "cared", seeding like that was a common practice because it was easy. Devices that record input and play it back depend on games which are deterministic; the same set of inputs gives the same results. Super Mario Bros. is an example of such a game; the enemy placement and patterns are always the same. As time went on and Famicom games became more sophisticated these became less common.

I've never seen one that records to cassette and that is really cool. I wonder if that introduces latency, though.

Yeah, I have the feeling this is mostly meant for pattern based shooters like Star Force/Soldier/etc the box and manual of the stick are covered in pictures of spaceships and those sort of games were the main reason a lot of people bought sticks back then, and they're kinda the opposite of random being all about memorization.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

the book Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered the World

Just want to let anyone who is thinking of buying this book know, it's really not very good. It reads like it was researched with Wikipedia and doesn't really contain any information that can't be found there or anywhere else. It never really got very in depth about anything and the focus on Mario was kind of annoying, every time it would start to seem like it was going to get interesting the topic would be quickly turned back to Mario.

I wish it was more a general "history of Nintendo" book, I'd really love to read something in depth about what was going on during the life of the Famicom/NES and SFC/SNES, and maybe not even focusing just on Nintendo, but on the third parties who were developing for these systems too, I'm thinking interviews with people from Konami, Tecmo, Capcom, Hudson, Compile etc. and really getting into the details about how individual titles came to be and how they were received.

On the topic of books, does anyone know what is going on with Pix N Love? The third volume of their Nintendo series has been out in French, but there doesn't seem to be any word of it getting an English translation like the previous two books. It sucks because that seems like the most interesting one:

http://www.editionspixnlove.com/Tous-nos-ouvrages/L-Histoire-de-Nintendo-Vol.3/flypage.tpl.html

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

When you turn it on and see the Super CD-ROM2 screen where it blinks "hit run button" just leave it there for a long time. Turn it on and let it just ~warm up~ for a good hour or two then give it a shot.

Do you know if this works for a first gen PCE/CD-ROM2 combo? Mine just doesn't do anything when I push run, I get "PC" on the LED display but that's it. No drive noises and "Just a moment..." frozen on the screen. I'm gonna let it sit for a while anyway and see what happens.

EDIT: I should mention that it used to work perfectly, then I had it in storage for a while because I lost the power supply. I got a new power supply from Radio Shack a few years ago and found that the PCE side worked great but the CD did not.

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 25, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

So that Hori controller I keep ranting about sure gets around:

Apparently it was only released in Europe and Japan. If you have one of these things and want some money, PM me!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

shoplifter posted:

Hooray, just as good as Christmas. USPS driver is today's hero.

[giant rear end picture]

I don't care if it only has two levels, Alzadick is loving great. You should probably resize that image tho

EDIT: Does anyone else really like the Caravan modes in stuff like Super/Final/Soldier Blade etc? I kinda ignored those modes until I got Star Soldier R on the Wii when it came out and now I can't get enough of timed score attacks. The levels used for these are usually totally different from any of the normal game levels, much more resembling the original Star Soldier for NES/FC.

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 27, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hubris.height posted:

I've started playing Twilight Princess before I play Skyward Sword and I find it hard to believe there was a time when TP's controls were considered acceptable. 2006 was a weird time.

Play the Gamecube version, the way it was originally meant to be played. The Wii version is a quick hack and the controls are absolutely horrid. The Cube version of TP is actually one of my favorite Zelda games believe it or not.

EDIT:

McCracAttack posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to let you know your Hori cheerleading has borne fruit:

+ Sturdier than it looks
+ Good button feel
+ Abadox is more fun
+ Cheap

- NES Advantage looked cooler
- Stick itself is merely okay

It was all just as you said. Neat little stick though once you know its secret history. Thanks for bringing it up.

Haha, glad you like it. I really like Star Force/Soldier with that stick (use the turbo), if you look at tournament videos from back then they're all being played with non-microswitch sticks (though they mostly use those yellow Hudson ones that are impossible to find). It does take some getting used to if you're used to clicky sticks though.

EDIT2:

Here's somebody's loving tribute to that Hudson stick (god I want it so bad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRT1jQxltYE

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 28, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Sunshine is just about the worst mainline Super Mario game released in the US. Only the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 can compete for that title and that one at least is essentially just an expansion pack for the original game. There are defenders of the game that say that people just complain because it's different. That's not it; the environments are less interesting and the water jet mechanics at the center of the game aren't well implemented. The best portions of the game are when it abandons its central mechanic and just makes crazy Super Mario Bros levels. Those are few and far between, though.

THANK YOU. I know so many people who love that game and I feel crazy for thinking it's dull and weird and not really a Mario game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

KRIKzz's favorite NES games:

Alien 3
Battle City
Battletoads / Double Dragon
Bucky O'Hare
Contra
Crime Busters
Crisis Force
Elite
Super Mario Bros.

Battle City is so good, <3 Crisis Force too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I broke 300k on the first level of Star Soldier which was my personal score goal:

I have no idea what constitutes a really high score for this level but Takahashi Meijin got 335,400 in this (possibly staged) tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjcf0SjahA

I guess now that's the score I'm trying to beat

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

NESRGB is back in stock and suddenly it's not even I can't bring myself to buy one, I just don't even think I want it anymore :eng99:

I never really got the whole perfect video thing myself, these things were kinda meant to be played on CRTs with composite or S-video connections. If I only had a LCD HDTV or something then yeah because old systems look terrible on those, but I think the way old games look on a good CRT with their normal connectors is fine, RGB would be "too" perfect and look like an emulator or something. Is that the goal, or are people just trying to make stuff look good on their HDTVs?

EDIT: I'm not knocking the quest for perfect video, just saying it's something I personally don't understand. I have plenty of silly OCD things I do care about when it comes to old games (see my :spergin: posts about controllers) so I'm not really trying to hate, just to understand.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 30, 2013

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Keep in mind that when you play an NES on a flat-screen TV (plasma, LCD) it looks like total crap but it is exacerbated because of how crystal-clear newer flat TVs are.

Yeah, I said in my post that playing old systems on a HDTV is one of the situations where I do get why people do these mods. I thought they look like crap because you're sending the TV an interlaced signal that's also not it's native resolution, not because the TV is just so awesome it makes old things magically look worse.

What I don't get is doing the RGB mod and then, say, hooking the system to a computer monitor so it looks exactly like playing an emulator with all the filters and poo poo turned off. It just looks weird to me is all, probably because I'm just used to playing the games "normally" (and sitting a fair distance from the TV). My distaste for that super clean look is one of the reasons I go out of my way to get real hardware and software and don't just emulate everything.

Different strokes for different folks though, and I gotta admit to seeing the Micomsoft XRGB units posted here and wanting to try them out, that's some baller poo poo. One day I would love to have a nice big LCD or plasma in the living room with a SNES or PCE hooked up to it and not have it look awful, but I don't think I could ever really entirely give up playing old games the "old way", on a good CRT (I use a 27" Sony Wega, it's good for consumer level but I'd love to find a PVM). This probably makes me just as OCD :v:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

I never get it when my friends are nostalgic for that crap because it's just as much unplayable garbage as it was when it came out. The only difference is kids were like "wow oh poo poo 3D oh wow"

For real, particularly with the N64 (PS1 at least had some good RPGs and racing games (huge fan of Ridge Racer and GT). Somehow that era was what really popularized games, I never understood that.

EDIT: Not really saying there are no good N64 games but the ratio of good to bad was so bad and even the good stuff has aged so poorly you wonder how you ever played it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

Look at all these weird grandpas

e: As someone who even as a kid has never really given a poo poo about how games look provided it doesn't get in the way of being able to tell what's going on, I love the PSX/N64 era because that's when poo poo got weird. CD storage, 3D graphics and analog controls were all sort of standardized all at once and people just kinda went hog wild because they didn't know what worked. It was a loving exciting time! Yeah, there's probably a bigger ratio of bad to good just by the very nature of everything being so experimenal, but I think thinking of video games like that is really, I dunno, negative? Jaded? I don't really know how to describe it, I just think it's a bad way to think about things in general. The GBA was a pretty good system and that was the king of the shovelware:quality equation. Nostalgia probably plays heavily into both sides of the discussion but divorced from any of that, we never would have gotten a lot of bonkers stuff without that generation and I dunno about you, but I'd rather live in a world with Parappa the Rapper and Monster Rancher and stuff than a world without.

Hey I love the PSX and I think it had a ton of truly great games, but those early years of 3D produced a lot of stuff that aged really badly and I think that's all people are saying. I had TG16 and SNES in Elementary/Middle school and PSX/N64 in high school so I am nostalgic for both but the TG16/SNES games are very easy to go back to whereas a lot of the games from the N64/PSX eras feel really rough. It's not even just a graphics issue but also a control one, for whatever reason developers didn't have a very good handle on how to control a game with a 3D world.

It was a very important time historically but like you said it also produced a lot of weird stuff and weird isn't always good, for every Jumping Flash you have 10 Bubsy 3Ds.

EDIT: and I'm mostly talking about the purely 3D games; the 2D stuff, or stuff with pre-rendered backgrounds (FF, RE, etc) still holds up very well. Hell a few weeks ago in IRC I was talking about how I wish FF games still used pre-rendered backgrounds because they were loving gorgeous. That's one of the things I miss most about that era, it was like playing in a beautiful painting when done right.

EDIT2: I also understand the nostalgia for early 3D but for me it's mostly the sort of 3D seen in lower budget DC games, it does have a certain weird charm. Think Tokyo Bus Guide or Tee Off Golf, Metropolismania and the Choro Q games on PS2, etc. It can be charming.

EDIT3: But gently caress cell phone gaming forever, imagine the generation that's gonna be nostalgic about Angry Birds, driving up the prices of Nexuses or iPhones on future eBay so they can play them the way the developers intended :corsair:

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 1, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

Yeah no totally! The things you just said are all reasonable and things I agree with to an extent! But there's been like a whole page of "haha actually all these games you listed are Bad and mario 64 was never good, i even said so when it came out and owned all the nerds that thought it was amazing. how could you ever play them unless you were some blind idiot on an island" and that's kinda totally loving ridiculous

I always assumed people weren't actually hating on Mario 64 or OOT or any of the Nintendo first party stuff, but the rest of the N64's third party library.

EDIT: Oh yeah OK one guy said he didn't like Mario 64. That was a fun game and undeniably cool when it came out at least to my 13 year old eyes. Can't say I go back and play it much now though.

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 1, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

univbee posted:

Actually, if we're talking pure numbers, I might go with the Sega CD, since I can only think of one game I'd want to play on it (Shining Force CD), but I don't know if it had enough games to tip the ratio scales.

Whaaat, I don't know how many SCD games there are but I can think of tons of good games for it... Popful Mail, Sonic CD, Robo Aleste, Android Assault (Bari-Arm), the Lunar games, Snatcher, Blackhole Assault, Keio Flying Squadron, Panic!, Vay, and I'm sure plenty of games that never made it to the west (I know next to nothing about the SCD's Japanese library). The good to crap ratio is probably awful though because of all the FMV games.

Agreeing with the person who said the DC has one of the best good:bad ratios ever, even it's bad games usually have some redemming thing that makes them at least interesting.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheSpamalope posted:

My Trinitron died!

Serious condolences, I live in fear of the day this happens to mine. It's held up with heavy use since 1999 or so, how long do CRTs typically last?

Maybe it will be the motivation to finally get a PVM :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The other stick I ordered came in today:

Micomsoft XE-1 HE Pro

I actually like the feel of the Famicom ASCII stick I got a few days ago a bit better actually, wasn't expecting that. They're both microswitched sticks but the ASCII's feels tighter or something. This thing is still excellent for an 80's joystick, the ASCII just feels a bit better to me. The XE-1'S buttons absolutely destroy the ASCII though.

Does anyone know of a PCE->USB adapter? I'd like to use this thing with my PC.

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 3, 2014

• Locked thread