Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Nition posted:

I want to talk about my personal favourite Mega Drive game,
Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96.

Ok thanks for making me spend more money as I had completely forgotten about that game. All I can say is it better have my boyz Walter and Spider in it.

Speaking of blown minds, how the poo poo have I never heard of Virtual Chess 64? This game is incredible, looks good, and has a mellow as hell soundtrack...think Mario 64 Aquarium mellow at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQkv14p8aR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ultimateluigi987 posted:

So, I recently bought a Sega Nomad, but it didn't come with the battery back, and my Genesis is a model 1 so I can't even use the AC adapter. :smith: Am I screwed, or is there some way that I could find the pack without having to :retrogames: ? I mean, it was already one :retrogames: to even get it in the first place.

First of all kick rear end for getting a Nomad. I've found I play it way more than my other handhelds. You've got a few options. You could:

1. Get a model 2 ac adapter
2. Get an official really expensive AA battery holder
3. Do what I did, buy a $5 shipped nomad PowerBack (it's $5 because the rechargable battery guts have long been dead rendering the thing useless except for shelf value) replace the guts with a $0.40 AA battery holder from radioshack or a 9V battery setup and then you've go the same thing.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

wixard posted:

Every time I have Hyperspin 70-80% of where I want it in the configs, it seems like they finally update it for the first time in years and I start over again. I think that's happened to me twice. I haven't been to their forums in a while, but I remember most of their support docs basically being forum posts from the people building changes in really long threads, and making sure you were reading tips for the version of Hyperspin you actually had installed wasn't always easy.

I am insanely jealous of that video because I theoretically have most of the assets to make that happen, I've just never been able to catch up with Hyperspin to make it all come together correctly.

Even though I haven't seen it mentioned in eons, I'm a big big fan of MameWah. It's customizable as crap, very reinstall friendly in case of a disaster, and comes with 90% of the bells and whistles (intro vids especially) as Hyperspin...but hasn't been updated in a long time and probably never will be again. That said though I wouldn't change it for anything. I only use my cabinet as a Mame machine currently so I can't really speak much into using it for other emulators.

Secret Santa wise all of my stuff except for one game is all ready to go. When the last game comes (probably tomorrow) I'll ship out my gift asap. Like others have said my box is a mix of $50ish worth of stuff as well as some goodies from my collection thrown in. So excited!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OSI bean dip posted:

Still looking for a reasonable price on a N64. :(

I just so happen to have an extra N64 I got in a shopGoodwill lot a while back. Contents are:

- Nintendo 64
- a/v cable
- power cable
- 1 Atomic Purple controller with a GREAT stick
- 1 beat up condition standard Grey controller as a gift from me to you with a :barf: horrible stick that's almost useless
- and if you like Wrestlemania 2000

I can throw this in a medium flat rate box for $11.95 or however much it is, plus however much you'd want to donate to my present buying fund and have it to you in no time.

(actually with the 2 controllers I may have to use a large, I'll try and get creative and see what I can do if you or anyone else is interested)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

jpg posted:

You just reminded me I had this beast sitting in my wardrobe:

Hell yeah now that's what I'm talking about. We used to have one of these and it could be programmed to even do fatalities or complex moves in Mortal Kombat...and it would show you the arrows/buttons pressed on the screen. Definitely a cool rear end controller, one day I will find our original if it's still in my parents' place.

ALSO I've got all of my SS stuff completely ready to go and packaged up. I have never packed a flat rate box this full before, it's awesome. I will be mailing it out Monday, and since my SS apparently lives a few hours north of me it will guaranteed be there Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 8, 2012

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OSI bean dip posted:

PM sent very kind sir.

Responded, and you're also getting a copy of Wave Race because I found a dupe.

iastudent posted:

...and a copy of Cruis'n USA. Now I can tear through my home state in bug-splatter POV all over again.

CRUSINNNNnnnnnn Yeahh......CRUSIN USA. YEAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIXV-h52yY&t=25s

I remember getting that game for my birthday way back when and loving it. The cop car is simply the best. It wasn't long after I got my copy of Shadows of the Empire too. Man, launch 64 games and early gen ones were badass.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2012

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
What are some good N64 games to test rumble paks with? Ideally I'd like to have something rumble constantly.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

The music in Jewel Master is almost as badass as the box art.

My SS stuff shipped this morning Priority and only has about 250 miles to get to its destination. Come Tuesday or Wed some goon should be receiving a package bulging from its contents. (Seriously I was wondering if the USPS would gripe at me for making the box bulge like it did hah)

-- OSI Bean Dip: I shipped out your 64 and goodies today as well, sending you tracking # via pm right now

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 11, 2012

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

tvb posted:

Santa came this week!

...Cosmo Tank (with a DIY label, maybe?)

...and a mystery GBA game! The suspense is killing me!
:cheers:

That Cosmo Tank I bought from a grocery store around 1999 for $5 and it came shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard. It's a pretty cool game for sure and that's how the label has been since day one. One of these days I'll spend 2 seconds searching and see what the actual cover looks like.

Also the mystery GBA game should be drive enough to get a fatty DS and/or GBA to continue the quest.

Glad everything arrived in one piece and enjoy!!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, that's what I did a while back. Ended up picking up Yoshis Island for $6 shipped from japan. Since you're not really playing the game for story, it's totally fine that it's in japanese.

No only that, the cart sticker looks 10x better than the north american Yoshis Island.

Even though I can think of many examples of this being true, in this case I think both are equally cool in their own ways.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

So simply making the game mono allowed them to double the bitrate? I mean who the hell cares about a GBA game having stereo, anyway? Why wasn't this done on retail releases more often?

I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile or anything but I for one really enjoy stereo sound over headphones. I remember being a kid and hearing Bohemian Rhapsody over headphones and flipping out when they hit the whole "we will not let you go...let him go!" part.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Welcome to the club, the Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 owners club. It's one of my favorites, a PERFECT example of a rare and valuable game that's actully fun and not mostly epeen or shelf candy.

midge posted:

At this point has anyone NOT received their gift?

I haven't received anything yet. After not hearing a single peep out of my SS this entire time, I get a really laid back chill auto-email from Elfster on the 17th with a UPS store tracking number.

The tracking number had it a few hours north of me at 3am this morning, so unless the weather gets really crazy I should have it tomorrow. Saving the best for last (or close to last) I hope! :D

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 21, 2012

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I got my secret santa stuff a while back but just now getting around to posting pics.

It begins.

Stylish Transformers paper and a sweet 90s Mario/Bowser DIY paint dealio. Super cool.

In the background I hear a nice white noise of package rustling going on as he goes to town.

Blam! Fire Pro wrestling for the DC, Power Stone for DC, Castlevania 2 for NES, and an NES Max controller! I always thought the Max controllers would be pieces of poo poo but this thing is pretty cool.

This wrestling game came with a novel of an instruction booklet. Look at all the cool poo poo it came with, even its Pokemon style wrestling game card. Thanks Secret Santa!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 1, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

InvadErGII posted:

I've been working on my NES collection and reached a point where I knew there were a lot of rare titles I didn't have but had no idea if I'd missed a few really common titles. To figure that out, I took an export of the NintendoAge game list and made this. By adding 'Yes' in the 'Owned' column next to each game I had, I could get a breakdown of how many not-so-rare things I was missing and use the filters to make a list of what they were. This was a huge help for me, so I made a blank version as a public Google doc. I made an N64 one too, and am working on making more robust versions of these that can sort by more stuff (release year, publisher, etc.) Give it a spin and tell me if it sucks!

This is a way fancier version of something I've been trying to make for a while. Thanks!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Thanks for the great comparison shots! The Mega Man X games are always so fun to do that with. The zoomed in sprite of Mega Man (I know his name is X but it's still Mega Man damnit) is especially cool.

OSI bean dip posted:

So I have a strange problem with an N64 I received recently.

The person who sent it to me seems to have a full mailbox so I have yet to thank him for sending it my way, but it looks like the unit powers on, but it doesn't seem to want to output any video or audio.

This isn't the 64 I sent you in early December was it? You've got me all paranoid now because I tested that thing 10x over. Do you even get the initial video flash as it powers on?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OSI bean dip posted:

Sadly it is. :( I tried to PM you but it says you had a full mailbox.

It doesn't flash or anything but it definitely is outputting a voltage on the AV out. I took it apart to see what was going on and so far nothing seems amiss. I am going to try a different jumper pack just in case.

Very weird because I only had around 20 pms and I didn't get the typical "hey someone just tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full" message either. I just deleted 10 of them so now unless something wild is going on I should be back in action.

I'm still floored as to what the problem could be. I played Jet Force Gemini and Wave Race for hours upon hours before packing it up. To be able to fit the 64 and 2 controllers+ in that medium flat rate box I couldn't use a TON of packaging but I've yet to see a broken 64 to this day so I didn't think it would be a big deal. That being said, if you can't get it working I happen to have another n64 I can send your way. Since it would be the console only I could practically pack with a foot of newspaper/bubble wrap/etc on each side. By the way I'm not a 64 hoarder or anything, I just happen to have acquired a bunch of them in a sweet shopgoodwill auction forever ago.

-- Apparently I did receive the full inbox emails today, the plot thickens (1 at noon the other at 5ish)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 8, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I don't know if this even counts but I love this Shadowrun kinda smokey feel in some parts of Final Fantasy 8.

(Shadowrun reference explained below)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
It's really something just how much 75% can be. Most all of the cool poo poo had been had on gamestop's site but I managed to get some decent games for virtually free:

All Star Baseball 2003 - Used $1.99
World Series of Poker $1.99
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King $4.99
Top Gun: Combat Zones - Used $4.99
MVP Baseball 2005 $1.99
NHL 2003 $0.99
NHL 2005 $2.99
Bionicle: The Game - Used $5.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 $1.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 $0.99 * 8 $7.92
WTA Tour Tennis $2.99
Army Men: RTS $9.99

Just a hair over $12! Next Christmas everyone is getting a copy of Tiger Woods golf randomly, who doesn't like golf games? I'm excited because I never heard of that Army Men game and with my recent infusion of GBA games my GC has been getting more play lately.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, but they're all sports games. That isn't necessarily bad, but why would you want both nhl 2003 and 2005? Why not just 2005?

I got both versions of NHL because I've never played either one. Who knows if 2003 is better than 2005, but I will try them both out at some point. Most of these games can totally fit the background game to leave on all night deal when some of my non-gamer friends are around. I love all Golf games too. Also to be brutally honest sports games and movie themed games (Madagascar, Shrek 2) are all that were still available.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Cicero posted:

THE GAME CAVE!

This was phase 1. Phase 2 is underway. :ninja:

This is awesome! You've even got the ballin "lean my rear end into this poo poo" brown cushion. The setup itself is also very efficient. You can have a shitload of people in floor alone then you've got the tons of couch/loveseat space. Phase 2 better involve a full size refrigerator and a pedestal fan.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Now some of these were unexpected finds, I came acrosss Kolibri and Doom for the 32X.

Nice Kolibri grab! It's one of my top 5 games I want to purchase but it keeps eluding me. How can a game starring a hummingbird not be cool? Also for all it's worth, I've heard Madden 64 (the top left in your pic) is the best one one the system.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

codenameFANGIO posted:

composite switchbox action

Hey! I'd recognize that cheaper than cheap ebay China special switch box anywhere, because I have 2 of them currently! The cables that came with them were absolute crap (they were thinner than a human hair) but using decent quality composite cables they seem to work great with my 13" Trinitron. I'm all about good quality stuff, but with a 13" tv I don't exactly need RGB quality. I may eventually go that route with the stuff plugged into my 42" plasma, but for now it's all good.

Speaking of composite switch boxes, I thought I struck gold recently when I found a FIVE port available. I've seen millions upon millions of 3 or 4 ones but never a 5. I pounced on it for pretty cheap and it should be here today or tomorrow...then I noticed one of the 5 ports was the output grrr. Smooth move ebay guy, smooth move. Still though, with the addition of this super duper high quality switch box I will no longer have to use the front inputs on my Trinitron, meaning I can shut the door to make it sharp looking now.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
If you're not specifically looking for Nintendo posters, most every complete SMS game (if not every SMS game) comes with a poster in addition to the instruction manual. I'm sure there's a rhyme or reason to what you get somewhere, but mine have all been pretty random. Don't have any pics of my own, but here's one of my favs:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I love RPGs in theory, I just don't have the time to beat them anymore. I miss being a teenager and somehow having the time to play through FF7 multiple times

I am the exact same way! As a teenager I could switch back and forth between FF8 and whatever other RPGs seamlessly. Nowadays, it takes careful planning days in advance to setup a few hours to play one, let alone one that I've never played before. I've been trying for eons to get into 7th Saga but being an adult sucks at times.

On that note though, this adult totally just got TMNT Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis for $12!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Even with millions of pounds of gaming merchandise/figures/clothing/etc that huge collection has, it's always cool thinking I still have something they don't have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I saw this Nintendo 64 hat (not my pic) in there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
My 2 cents on gaming store stuff. It's a fact of life you're going to have to deal with millions upon millions of sports titles and/or horribly crappy games. Sell these cheaply and even they will move! I've only been to one shop that's done this right. They had a huge bin full of sports titles for various systems. It had a big sign on it that said "2 for $1 with purchase of anything."

How can you not grab a couple copies of Hoops or RBI Baseball 3 for 50 cents each? (especially if they had boxes or even sleeves)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Mercury Crusader posted:

From your list, you have more Zapper games than I do, but I have some of the ones you don't: Bayou Billy, Laser Invasion, and Track & Field II. We're both missing Baby Boomer, The Lone Ranger, and Gotcha! The Sport. Also, Gumshoe is my favorite Zapper game.

Another huge Zapper fan here and I'm still trying to get a hold of Baby Boomer and Chiller too. My favorite Zapper games changes depending on the day but lately I've been HUGE into Hogan's Alley Game C. Baby Boomer is in my sights though, I will get that poo poo soon while the price of it is still doable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

al-azad posted:

In my Gamestop experience, accessories are the #1 money maker both in trade and in sales. In trade usually because people steal poo poo from big department stores that keep 3rd party stuff unsecure on shelves. In sales because everyone and their uncle is destroying controllers or losing their Wii sensor bars so they need a cheap replacement quick. Or maybe you buy an SNES on eBay but it doesn't have the power cable or it's one of those lovely knockoff controllers.

Agreed totally here. Yes to controllers, power adapters, wii sensor bars, etc. Unless I'm missing some huge profit margin here NOOOOO to Rock Band or Guitar Hero stuff. Most stores I have been to have an entire section of their store devoted to storing/displaying that kind of stuff. I can see maybe one or two sets of stuff, but it's sad to see a corner with 20+ guitar hero guitars just collecting dust.

VVVV That's a good point, and shipping on those is usually reason enough to not shop online. Still though, I hate having to weave through 200 guitars and drumsets.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 28, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Obeast posted:

I know I'm a minority in this thread, but I agree with you. I don't mind talking about different versions of consoles like front loader vs top loader NESes, but as long as I can see, hear, and play the games properly, I don't care if I have the shittiest motherboard for that system since I do most of my retro gaming on a small cheap TV anyways. :shobon:

Most of my gaming is done on my slammin 13" Trinitron so I'm right there with you. Anything newer than the n64 I tend to play on my 42" plasma like GC games via the Wii. Eventually I'll play with getting pixel perfect everything but for now I'm drat satisfied with what I've got. The galactic bump from RF to composite is plenty cool with me for now.

I'll tell you right now though...if I could play light gun games on my plasma, it would give me an incredible amount of incentive to go balls out on the video quality.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I had yet another "gently caress it why not" weekend on ebay. I was finally able to snag this fairly uncommon game I've been wanting to screw around with for a while for a decent price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290740885266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rex Ronan on SNES, aka the dentist game

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Now you need to track down Rex's brother in arms, Captain Novolin!

Damnit, you are too right. It's officially on the list but until I can find it for anything resembling reasonable it's going to have to wait. I'll just clean some nicotine stains off some teeth in the time being haha, good ol' Rex.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

In the line of actual post content: does anyone know why SNES multi-taps are so expensive? The cheapest ones seem to come from Japan as (most) of the American listings are between $100-$200! I mean, it would be nice to play some Super Bomberman with my friends, but not $100 nice.

I bought an official Hudson one last year for $15ish and thought it jumping up that high sounded crazy but not impossible. I just checked ebay completed auctions and there's a ton of them recently for $25-$35, so you should be ready to rock.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^^^^^^^
Haha is that Ultraman?

Speaking of 60-72 pin converters, it took me foreverrrr to get a hold of one. So long in fact, that looking back on it it would have probably been easier and maybe cheaper to fork out the $50+ on ebay. I got borderline obsessed with looking at NES launch titles both in person and online for the drat adapter. Every shop or flea market I'd go to I would catch myself comparing weights or trying to look and see the subtle pin difference.

After almost countless attempts and disappointment, one fateful day at Goodwill finally turned everything around. It was a copy of Excitebike that was in their glass display case priced very fairly at $3. I got home, took out those 5 screws in record time, and BOOYEAH saw that big rear end converter and proceeded to celebrate playing one half of my entire Famicom game
collection: Alien 3.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
There's a Hogan's Alley with a converter for $23 if anyone is looking for one. I highly recommend Game C - Trick Shot if I haven't said so before. Also it's from Connecticut for any of you New England goons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogans-Alley-Nintendo-1984-With-Famicom-Converter-NES-/261163101549?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cce88ad6d

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Mega Drive cartridges are more rounded than the North American carts and the Genesis' slot is keyed for it. You'd have to cut out the corners or something on the slot. I'm not familiar with that particular mod. I have an X'Eye and the slot on that is squared off so both carts fit without modification.

Hello fellow X'Eye owner! So just to be clear, you're saying I can throw a Mega drive game into the X'Eye and play it just fine? I've never really thought about Genesis imports so you've got me really curious. Also I went probably 10+ years before ever hearing the "actual" Sega CD music, this is all I've ever known and ever will know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kk1hBNtVdc

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

HKR posted:

Today's Haul

Really pissed that I found a Virtual Boy controller/AC cord but not the actual Virtual Boy. Oh well, I don't even want one. Anyone with a Virtual Boy need a controller/AC cord want to trade something?

I don't necessarily hate my Virtual Boy's AA battery pack... but I would LOVE that AC adapter. Did you have anything specific you wanted to trade or did you want some cold hard paypal cash?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Damnit after reading all of that you're making me want to buy one of those things. I love my red NDS to death and this would make it even cooler. Also for including sd cards at reasonable prices that's pretty awesome. Most vendors charge 2-5x more for "included" stuff like that so the fact that they don't is super cool in my book.

http://ebluar.com/ez-flash-iv-4-mini-ez-card-for-gba-gba-sp-nds.html#customer-reviews
Scroll down and you'll see a pretty bangin description of what that baby can do.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

HKR posted:

Today's Haul

Anyone with a Virtual Boy need a controller/AC cord want to trade something?

If this is still up for sale/trade I'm still interested. Are you in need of any of my dupes:

- NES Zapper (Grey)
- NES controller (I will find best extra I have and clean the poo poo out of it)
- NES Mario 3
- NES Mario/Duck Hunt
- Sega Genesis Maximum Carnage with case possibly manual
- 1-10 NES sleeves

Let me know if any of this floats your boat :D

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I don't have any facts to back this up, but when I tried to use my super Game Genie for playing SFC games I had nothing but issues. At the time, the only SFC game I had was Super Tetris 3 and I wanted to see if I could avoid modding my SNES. I snipped off the GG's plastic, which looking back on it was way more work than the SNES, but I could never get the game to load up. It would just hang at a black screen without ever giving me anything after the initial Game Genie screen.

I could put in other games and they'd work fine, but Super Tetris 3 never did work. Eventually I cut the tabs off my SNES and everything works perfectly like it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Was your plan to make this for fun and sell it from the very beginning? You plan on upgrading to something different eventually if that's the case? I'm just curious.

• Locked thread