Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Having gone to the Gamestop website to find out what this PS2 sale is that you all are talking about, I am now $80 poorer thank you very much! But, you know, I now have 48 games to add to the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I thought that RF Generation sounded helpful. I wanted to start adding my NES games since I have most of them in a google doc already, but I can't because VARIANTS! Why are there so many variants? I have to wait until I can physically look for all the oval seals and 5-screw backs and alternate artwork. FML! Cool, helpful site though.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Xir posted:

So I got my Gamestop order last night. One day is impressive turn around. I got zero cases and manuals, not even for Activision Anthology. :( I guess I'll be buying replacement cases at some point.

I was dreading this. But I knew it was a gamble, but with the odds definitely not in my favor. At least Game Crazy had their own custom case inserts for rentals, with the game's original cover art. If only other stores could have taken note.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Out of the PS2 games I got, one was complete but in a Blockbuster case!

And they sent me a Yakuza DEMO DISC! What the hell? Where did that come from? It looks like the normal disc too.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

So around dusk, I made a visit to my neighborhood thrift store. I really, really didn't want to buy another CRT since I have one sitting in the garage (I'm moving soon and waiting to set it back up). But all this Trinitron talk and fear of maybe having to manually degauss my only 7 year old TV (which has a fading corner) made this thing too irresistible.

Besides inevitable RGB mods to my consoles, I just need some BNC adapters. Here's a photo of the back pulled off of another site. Luckily, S-Video is there so I can try it out in the meantime.

The menu was set to Spanish too. That was fun finding in the menu.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

e. Also what are the controls on the front? I imagine the dials are the usual hold/contrast/brightness but what about the buttons?

Yeah, that should be just composite over BNC.

Here's a close up of the buttons. The 16:9 button is cool yet pointless, unless I'm going to hook up an Xbox or DVD player.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is that a MiniDV cassette player :stare:

I stole that close-up of the buttons from GIS. But yeah, looks like it's a Sony DHR-1000 DV VCR. Full size DV and miniDV. Sorry for the false alarm.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

univbee posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember these from when I was video editing, they were the go-to screens for "this is how it will look on a real TV" if you were on-set or editing, since it handled fields correctly (and 16x9 which was new at the time). It also had all the color adjustments as knobs as well as the "blue only" button on the front to make correct color calibration take seconds and not require anything external that you would be sure to lose or have trouble finding.

I'm guessing an old post-production facility, that catered to one of the local spanish-language networks, dumped their old equipment because there was a larger JVC pro-model too (but with no RGB/Component and two S-Video connections). Why they ditched them I don't know, it works fine. I guarantee these are still being used at most post-production houses and on-set, they were prevalent during the last show I worked on in 2007. Just based on the original retail price of this thing I knew I needed it. Who doesn't want a 14" TV that once cost ~$2500?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Got my new Trinitron hooked up and the scanlines are a-flowing. Quick question: where's the best place to get good s-video cables on the cheap?

I wish I got a cut each time I suggest it, but Monoprice.com is the best place for quality cables from composite to HDMI. Shipping isn't free, but it is fair. So many similar sites have popped up over the past few years that there are plenty of places to buy from now.

Here's a good one:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020701&p_id=2402&seq=1&format=2

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Antillese posted:

Portland has the Powell's Books chain which carries a really nice mix of new and used books. In the suburbs, one is located next to a Game Trader which is kinda skeezy.

I spent less than five minutes in that store back in 2008. It looked like a hoarding nightmare, and that's based solely on the display window out front. And once inside I remember just seeing display cases being jammed full of crappy NES games. It's one of the saddest looking used game stores I'd been in. I'd rather dig through the bins at that 'by the pound' Goodwill that's not too far from there.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Geez so it seems like my guide in the OP isn't even useful. I wish the OP in the Sega-16 forums would update the OP because I'd feel pretty guilty having people buy a VA4.

I checked my Model 2 last night since it was already unpacked. I wish that OP on the forums had a schematic plotted out so I could have found the video encoder faster. That way the search for what ultimately was a Samsung encoder would have been less painful :(

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Shipping from the US to Canada would likely be around $7.35 + packaging... First Class, no tracking, but I've sent enough to Canada to trust our postal relations.

US to Canada postal rates have gone up as of January 27th, so be weary. It nearly doubled on small items.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

univbee posted:

The Model 1 outputs RGB out of the box, using the same cable as a Genesis Model 1 even (which is also why the Model 1 Genny doesn't output stereo out the back). Also, a Genesis is fully compatible with Sega Master System games using a pin converter, and even Krikzz's two Genesis Everdrives will load SMS games this way (they even have a reset button on the cart). In both cases you'd have to unplug the 32x if you had one hooked up.

Do we know if a Model 2 Genesis can play SMS games (since Everdrive supports it). I sold my SMS converter, I forgot that I sold my Model 1 years ago. And that thing just won't squeeze onto a Model 2 no matter how hard you try.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Tyson Tomko posted:

FYI these can and do work perfectly on a Model 2 with a little bit of modification. All you have to do is carefully trim some plastic off the back end and it works perfectly. To this day I don't have a Master System yet and I use my Model 2 with adapter to play all my SMS stuff including card and 3D games.

I actually found a Master System, with no hook ups or controllers, at a Goodwill a few years back. So I didn't really need the converter anymore. But since the Everdrive supports SMS, I'm thinking I can just stick with my Model 2 Genesis rather than keep my pieced together FrankenSega Master System with its Model 1 Genny ac adapter, controller, and rf switch (salvaged from more Goodwills). Now to save up and buy an Everdrive-MD.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

The big benefit, I think, of the Mega Everdrive is the CD RAM cart feature.

I've only seen one of those before at a used game store and they wanted $40 for it. And so if you think you'd benefit from that, then the Mega Everdrive is the only one you need. But I'm sticking with the Everdrive-MD myself when I get the money for one.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Technowrite posted:

Speaking of strategy guides, is there any sort of way to determine their value? I have an official Super Metroid Players Guide and eBay tells me it can be worth up to $40, which seems totally insane.

eBay seems to be the best gauge. I had some old Final Fantasy ones that fetched pretty good amounts. If someone bought it at that price, then why can't yours be worth that much.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I have three and I love them all. They make fantastic emulation boxes, and I think they look cool, all giant and imposing.

I just want an easy and cheap (just the cost of the bigger hard drive) way for the layman like me to mod my old Xbox. Every time I look at a different tutorial I give up hope because I don't have an old PC with IDE and I don't have any way to interface the memory card via USB. Same goes for my PS2.

I somehow managed to solder in a PS1 modchip, and that seemed to be beyond my expertise.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I believe it was a few pages back, but which microSD card w/ adapter works with the Everdrive? And if someone has a recommendation for the Everdrive N8 already, that'd be nice. I do have an old 2gb SD from my camera, I'm guessing that is big enough.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

flyboi posted:

You can do a softmod 100% free as well as tsop flash. I'll just repost what I sent to a fellow yosposter

When doing the softmod the cdrom drive & xbox hard drive cannot be on the same ide channel and the computer must see your cdrom as an ide device or the pos dont work

But if you don't have an old pc with ide, it's not going to be free. That's my dilemma.

Edit: Who knew that the store Book Off would have some good finds. I picked up a boxed copy of Snowboard Kids.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Most K-Marts in the big cities (at least here in LA) have been remodeled since the Sears merger. I hop into ones I never been to if I have time to kill, but the majority of them only have year old current-gen games on clearance. The stores that Corporate forgot about, in lands no one want to travel to or live in, must be the ones where GBC and Sega CD games are still in the wild. That just seems too bizarre.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

RF out only on the TG-16, no AV out or composite. If that bothers you, you can get a Turbo Booster to give you composite video and stereo out.

While googling AV mods for my TG-16, I found this super easy mod that requires no soldering or dismantling of the system. I can't wait to make my own ghetto version. http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/tg16_cable.htm

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

juicecube posted:

Picked up a pretty sweet trio of cube games :dance:

Paid 45 dollars I think I did alright

Does the $45 include that $20 Ikea rug? My cat barfs on that same rug. I kid though.

I remember picking up Baten Kaidos on clearance at Target like it was yesterday.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Hogscraper posted:

If you do want to play a FMV game let me suggest Double Switch over Night Trap. There's actually some randomness to it that makes it fun to play multiple times. Plus you get to see R. Lee Ermey play a character that isn't a drill sergeant.

I played this game way too much. Loved me some Corey Haim, RIP.

And Jurassic Park for the Sega CD is the best. That should be on every Sega CD essentials list. It has everything going for it: relaxing music, FMV, poorly-done 3D-graphics cutscenes/loading screens. And there was no shortage of jump scares. And it was completely unrelated to the already good Genesis version.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Hogscraper posted:

I never played through this because it was one of those rare titles that didn't play well with the CDX hardware. I've always meant to play it through emulation but never got around to it. Isn't it kind of like a virtual museum akin to the old Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia?

Nothing like that at all. From the Jurassic Park Wiki:

quote:

It is a point-and-click adventure game, with a strong emphasis on action sequences which require split-second timing, it also had a real time 12 hour time limit.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

ACID POLICE posted:

Also I know we've never had luck in the past with this, but how much interest can we get on a Mega Everdrive group buy? Come on 10 of you want Mega Everdrives at $106.

I believe I'd be down for one. I have a donor shell though, so I'd be covered.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

zenintrude posted:

I don't get it... what am I missing?

Maybe if he was blonde and wearing a red shirt. Would that help?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

ACID POLICE posted:

Oh right, sorry about that. I didn't want to reuse them but I didn't have any others that fit and it seemed wrong to ship one not screwed together, haha. You can PM me if you need to borrow the screwdriver and break it open.

Also that reminds me, I apologize if your donor cart was gross. I sanitized all of them at least but some had rental store stickers/void stickers/sharpie/poo poo like that on them. I forgot to mention that before, so if you got a gross cart and want to clean it I'll send you my security screwdrivers or tell you which ones you need.

I was mostly surprised by the loose game board rattling around in the priority box. I just about had a heart attack when I grabbed it out of the mailbox. When I opened it up and realized what was really going on, I wondered it you were playing a mean trick.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

univbee posted:

NES - Everdrive N8 (72-pin NES version, or 60-pin with krikzz converter)
SNES - sd2snes for special chip support, Super Everdrive w. DSP-1 if you can live without the other special chips
N64 - Everdrive 64
Master - Master Everdrive
Genesis - Mega Everdrive (Everdrive MD is 99.9% same compatibility for half-price but slower startup time for games)
Turbo Grafx - Turbo Everdrive
Atari 2600 - I don't think they exist
Jaguar - Likewise
Gameboy Color - http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card
Gameboy Advance - EZ-Flash IV (very hard to find now)
GameGear - Everdrive GG

I would just like to blame this post for making me by a USB 64M Smart Card. My digital wallet empties faster than it can fill up.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Went down to the thrift store on a whim today. I've been reluctant like the rest of you since I rarely find any goodies. Today I saw a fatty PS2 all taped up with the cables and controllers. I gave it a pass at first, but then I realized that they had a Gamecube memory card taped to it, just dangling too. And then I see this note taped to the whole thing. "Customer returned this because the controller doesn't work with Playstation." I guess they restocked this PS2, marked $99.99, after someone had bought it and tried to hook it up with Gamecube cables and realized nothing worked. Well I explained to the assistant manager that none of that stuff belonged with it, and that I would love to buy the Gamecube stuff after demonstrating that nothing could possibly hook up to the PS2 body. I had to do this because they said they were really suppose to send everything back to the main Salvation Army office to be addressed. So the manager was nice enough to sell me the memory card and janky controller for cheap.

Stoked about Time Crisis for $3!

Kramdar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 29, 2013

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Cloks posted:

Do you realize how much those cables are worth?

Well yeah, Salvation Army figured $99.99. But I don't think they justified selling cables for that much so they slapped on a PS2 to go with it.

From what I could gather from the staff their, they never sell lone controllers and cables. Stuff is always bundled. Let's just say I saved those cables from the literal purgatory of christian thift store bureaucratic hell.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

al-azad posted:

Did you really get Gamecube component cables for $3? That's probably one of the best finds in this thread.

No, Time Crisis did cost $3. The lady was happy to sell me the cable, controller, and memory card for $13. That controller is disgusting too. I just cleaned it. I think it had orange soda spilled on it. I found dead bugs inside. Got more than I paid for!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I've got a Sega Master System that isn't outputting video. Now I am using RF because that's all I have to test. I tried both channels, I've got power too. I even popped open the shell to check the caps, but they all looked good. Has anyone had experience with this?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Quidnose posted:

Is it a Japanese Master System? Are you sure you're on the correct channel to receive the RF signal?

No. Unless Japanese SMSs are making their way through Goodwill stores in Fremont, CA.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

al-azad posted:

You can go to Voodoo Donut provided they haven't run out of donuts which they do all the time.

And it's worth noting that if you like your doughnuts either hot or relatively fresh, to not eat there. My wife has dragged me down there three times now whenever we fly into town. And her parents' neighborhood has an excellent doughnut shop too down in Cerritos, that she holds in high regards!

Back to SMSs that don't output video, mine is US NTSC. Has anyone come across this issue before? I may have a system that needs to be put out to pasture otherwise.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Desoldering question: How easy is it remove a donor CIC chip from a n64 cart? And is solder wick all I need? My soldering skills are novice to say the least.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

That burner is pumping out the gas too. My brand new stove doesn't even have that pressurized sound. His sounds like a torch.

I'm gonna stick with the plunger that flyboi linked.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Everyone should own a TG16 of some kind or another.

I wouldn't even have one now if it weren't for my brother insisting that we get that instead of a Genesis for Christmas or whatever celebratory excuse we had to get one, back when they first came out. The brand new rf adapter didn't even work out of the box!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Tried both on multiple televisions.

And you enabled component output in the system menu prior to hooking it via component?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I know someone here had just ordered an EZ Flash in the last couple weeks but I just got mine, so just hang tight. I took the slow option, and it was still registered mail and had tracking once it landed stateside. Ebular delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

BrokenKnees posted:

Finally got around to getting a 2gb sd card to fit in my EZflash 4...

I wasn't aware that the EZ Flash IV required a 2gig non-SDHC card. This is a for sure thing? No winging it with a 4gig SDHC that can do FAT16? Because my new one is currently sitting pretty unused if that is the case.

• Locked thread