Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

KatMan911 posted:

I'd honestly rather go with wacky hijinks than having to sit through more hamfisted !!! POLITICAL MESSAGES !!! shoved down my throat.

I'm here playing a GAME that I paid for to have fun, I'm not here for developers to do their best to make me feel bad about lovely conditions in Africa.

Then don't play a game set in Africa? What is it about Africa that makes you think 'wacky hijinks' exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

essentially an underdog title,

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Far Cry 2 was a high profile, and pretty well recieved, release, same with Far Cry 1.

Hell, I even remember Instincts getting some good buzz.

Some of the trailers and gameplay demos they've shown for this game look pretty exciting, but then the E3 co-op demo basically deflated any enthusiasm I had for it and a lot of the marketing has been really bland.

Everything I see of the story, especially the crazy villain they've made their mascot, falls really flat for me.

That aside, it seems like they've made a more interesting open world than Far Cry 2's, which is an immediate, and very strong, plus.

blackguy32 posted:

According to the RPS singleplayer thing, you will.

Can't wait to pull bullets out of my femur after taking drowning damage.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I meant more in that this game has no real hype amongst players. I have only one friend who is remotely interested, and activity here hasn't really been booming. With the late flood of big titles like Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2, it's reasonable to think that Far Cry 3 would have potentially gotten lost in the shuffle, but I think the positive press may wake some people up.

Yeah, I suppose.

The 10/10 certainly piqued my interest, but Eurogamer's been a bit bizzare lately and I've never really agreed with a lot of their reviews.

I mean, a trailer that has 'It's Skyrim with GUNS!!!!' is probably going to garner a lot of attention, but I don't think Far Cry 3's coming out of nowhere. I can't see it ending up like MOH: Warfighter, for better or worse.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They showed the co-op missions off at E3. They were just linear, objective based missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOSdza1YMU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Battlefield 3 had slugs, I guess.

The whole thing about videogame shotguns not working 'correctly' seems so silly to me. They work correctly by the definition that shotguns occupy a role as a short-range, high damage weapon because that's the role they've largely always occupied in videogames.

Games are largely all about abstraction, not simulation.

Even aside from that, there's plenty of actual military sims out there that do simulate their weapons relatively accurately while abstracting other things.

I can't imagine Far Cry 3 will be improved if the guns work 'correctly' like people always demand.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's available in three days here in Australia, I don't know what that is relevant to the rest of the world, but if we've somehow magically got another Skyrim on our hands where we'll get it first, I'd be happy to pick up a copy and give people some first impressions.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

[Seem very positive, although key issues are the storyline which tries to do Apocalypse Now / Heart of Darkness but not very well and multiplayer being lacking. To be specific:

Didn't they gently caress up these stories enough with Far Cry 2? I mean, geez, you think they'd give it a rest and go for something a bit more in their ballpark this time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Just bit the bullet and preordered this:

https://ebgames.com.au/xbox360-157780-Far-Cry-3-Insane-Edition-Xbox-360

Don't know if that's an Australian exclusive edition that we sometimes tend to get, but it seems like an alright deal, factoring in Australian prices and such, and despite how terrible a game Far Cry 2 ended up being to play through, I got more than enough hours of entertainment out of it to justify the purchase.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

tehsid posted:

Man. As much as I love Zombies I hope they are custom maps only.

The guy has another video titled Zombies? where I think he said as much. Watch that if you're looking for confirmation either way. I only caught a second or two of it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Adraeus posted:

What time does the game unlock in Australia? I just signed up for a month of PureVPN ($7.95).

If it's a midnight unlock, about six hours from now. If not, I don't know.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

As I understand, unless the publisher steps in, Valve doesn't really care, but I do know of a couple of account bans for VPN use.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Were those bans for unlocking or bypassing country restrictions/buying games cheaper from other countries?

Unlocking early, I know they ban for bypassing restrictions/buying games cheaper. In any other situation, I'm sure it'd be fine, but Ubisoft I'm pretty wary of.

Just saying, you'll probably be fine, but there's always a chance.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I unlocked AC3 early, and didn't have any problems.

Like I said, you'll probably be fine, but there's always a possibility.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait, what games did they unlock anyway?

I believe it was X-COM. I'm sure there won't be any troubles with Far Cry 3 things, just pointing out it is possible to get banned and Ubisoft is a pretty flaky publisher/developer with regards to how they enforce stuff like this.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 28, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

The skill point thing and the various activities mentioned excite me because...well I'm not gonna compare this game to Far Cry 2. I'm gonna compare it to Just Cause 2. Just Cause 2 was fun...but... there's no character progression at all. Every trick you can do, you can do in the first five minutes and after a while it gets old, especially in a world so huge even the developers don't expect you to 100% it.

I know this is practically sacrilege, but Just Cause 2's world was too big, too sparse, too little variety in things to do and see. Just big for the sake of being big, which was pointless. Far Cry 2 had a similar problem.

I like that in this we have the five islands, with two devoted to singleplayer and the rest split betwee multiplayer, Co-op and community or whatever. Seems like it'll prevent landscape creep pretty neatly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Insane Edition Unlockable content pack isn't even a download, it's literally a code you punch in and a popup appears telling you unlocked it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

gibbed posted:

Yeah I'm still waiting for my Digital Deluxe content code from Steam (basically same thing as the Insane Edition contents), they haven't given those out yet.

I was kind of surprised, because instead of just an Xbox Live redemption code like the Uplay Multiplayer Pass, you have to go into options, then extras, then unlockable content and then it literally just says 'yep, good work', then you get a popup during the tutorial telling you what it unlocked.

Really wierd way of doing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wonder how trivial it will be to unlock those pre-order bonuses by, like, changing a 0 to a 1.

If it works the same way I can't imagine it'd be much work, that said, they're not pre-order bonuses, actual content you pay extra for, so it's a bit skeevy, but that's never stopped anyone here before.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

I wonder how loose the targeting is on dual stealth kills. It's not a "knife in each hand" thing like in Assassin's Creed, it's "jump on guy 1, then jump on guy 2". How close do they have to be to each other to make it work?

I've seen the single takedown activate from some pretty long ranges and some sketchy situations, so I imagine it's probably pretty forgiving.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Th lip-sync and the conversation animations in the sidequests in this game are so awful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Some questions:

How well does the game fix FC2's glaring issues?

Pretty well. I haven't got far into it so I can't say how repetitive it is, but it seems to be much better designed mechanically and there doesn't seem to be any respawning enemies in the same, annoying way that Far Cry 2 had them.

Does it use Ubi's lovely DRM that I've heard so much about but never actually had to endure?

No, they've been phasing that system out, I believe.

What does Uplay do? How much of a pain in the rear end is it?

UPlay is basically a service for playing all Ubisoft games, you can use points you get from playing Ubisoft games to unlock skins, cheats, weapons, etc. in the games, basically. I think it has some multiplayer functionality as well and maybe is the way they validate new installs on PC?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Vatek posted:

So can you play through the game all stealthy and murder people with a bow and arrow? :allears:

I just cleared out a beached ship of pirates with a bow and arrow. Stealth is incredibly satisfying in this game.

That said: Immediately after I reached my objective, I got a scripted sequence in which someone had triggered an alarm on the ship, for no reason, and I had to basically kill my way out through a group of alerted, attacking enemies. They didn't know where I was, so stealth was still technically possible, but not in the same way and it felt really cheap of the game to do that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I hear that the story missions are the weakest part of the game and tend to restrict your freedom a lot. I haven't really experienced it myself though, I've mostly just been driving around the map, clearing outposts and climbing towers. :allears:

This is basically the first one I've done, but it's pretty inexcusable, not only am I being punished for following the game's instructions and clearing the area completely stealthily, but my choice of not activating the option that allows you to tag enemies just by aiming at them punishes me further because it's much harder to manage the camera when the enemies are already alerted.

Essentially, I'm being punished twice-fold for doing nothing wrong and it feels completely at odd's with what the game is trying to be.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

VDay posted:

Oh give me a break dude. It's inexcusable that an FPS wants to throw you into a tense action sequence? It's one thing if you just didn't like it or thought it was poorly designed or something, but to be upset because you feel the game insulted you and that you're being "punished two-fold" just makes you sound like one of Jason's friends. Doing something like not letting you customize your controls on PC would be inexcusable. This is, at worst, just a bad decision or an annoying sequence.

Bad design decisions that run counter to the entire principle and appeal of the game as an open world action game are inexcusable. There's no need for personal attacks because I criticized a game and used a word that you think was a little too harsh. I'll be sure to write the head of Ubisoft an apology because I used a no-no word.

I'm not 'upset' or insulted. I described a part of the game that could have been designed better, because this is the thread for discussing Far Cry 3. If you have a rebuttal to the points I made, fine, but don't be pedantic about the severity of the word I used to describe it.

To me, that is an inexuscable flaw in the design for that mission. They should have known better.

It's fine for an FPS to throw me into an intense action sequence, it's a different situation entirely for an open world stealth-action game to lead me into a mission where I've prepared my character and my equipment in a specific way that is tailored to dealing with that mission, to complete that mission perfectly, then be punished for elements entirely out of my control.

It's am incredibly poor design decision by a team of people who clearly put a lot of thought and effort into making a very good game.

Danith posted:

I initially thought that was cheap as well, but on my way back I saw 2 boats pulled up on the beach. I guess a patrol or 2 came back, saw all these dead people and decided to pull the alarm.

It's still cheap, my issue isn't with the plausibility of the scenario, but how it reflects on the design of that encounter.

Danith posted:

edit: It seems this only spawns stuff in a pretty close radius around you which is kinda bumming me out. I'll scan the area with the binoculars and see nothing and start hoofing my way there and suddenly I'll see some animals and guys materialize 200 feet away and start a battle. I wish the radius was increased to make it more 'alive'

Yeah, I jsut had something similar happen, crept all the way up to a guard outpost, surveyed the entire area, then took another step and a bright white, Insane Edition exclusive super-predator or whatever barrelled out of nowhere and killed me in two hits. Seemed a bit bizzare, but I just figured that was how those creatures operated.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 29, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

Kinda like the FEAR 3 way, then?

Sort of. Generally it feels like the best first-person cover system yet, but sometimes it does give you some wierd angles that don't quite peek out of cover.

Cardboard Box posted:

So far, my favorite part of moving around is that you slide down steep inclines, and it actually feels like you're sliding.

Mine is that when you sprint and jump into water, he actually dives in as opposed to just falling in.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, the AK47 has a rail but nothing to attach to it?

Yeah and the rail makes it look like garbage too. A lot of the guns have rails slapped on them haphazardly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

VDay posted:

You're complaining that one part of one of the first missions is inexcusable because it runs counter to how the rest of the game plays...except you've only done that one mission so far.

There is more to this game than the missions, shock surprise. It is an open world game with a stealth touted as a viable choice.

VDay posted:

On top of that, you even admitted that stealth was still possible because the game doesn't snap you out of hiding or automatically alert the bad guys to your location. So all you're really mad about is that the sequence didn't let you do stealth in the precise way that you wanted to, and I'm legitimately curious as to what that method was. They gave you body armor and some ammo in the cabin and I managed to pick the guys off one by one without them noticing me and thought that it was a decent set piece.

My complaint wasn't that it didn't let me stealth, it was that it shifted me, because of choices I'd made that the game had supported; via an options toggle and via customizing my guy for remaining undetected, into a situation where I was at a disadvantage for no reason and no fault of my own.

VDay posted:

Basically, I just think it's pretty silly to complain about such a minor part of a mission and proclaim that it's totally counter to the rest of the game when it really isn't.

This is the thread for discussing Far Cry 3, I was discussing Far Cry 3.

VDay posted:

It's a mission that's finished the easiest by simply unloading on a couple of guys that are running at you, but is possible to beat stealthily if you take your time. How is that not the same basic thing that you're doing the rest of the game?

Because in this instance I was discouraged from playing well in that style that I chose, a style that the game is supposed to support. Again, my complaint wasn't that I couldn't beat it stealthily, I did and found it to be quite an enjoyable sequence, it was that it runs counter to what the game's design had told me so far, to throw me into that situation for no reason.

Punishing the player for playing well is bad design. Yes, it's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of thigns, but it's also one that could have been remedied in any manner of a great number of easy ways that would have been more befitting the game's design up to that point, and large swaths of it following. I thought it was an inexcusably bad piece of design in an otherwise so far excellent game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DaveKap posted:

I'm loving the game so far but Ubisoft hosed some stupid poo poo up when it comes to keybindings, as usual.

Wanna use ESDF as movement keys? Of course you do. Too bad even if you bind it, the glider still requires WASD. Why the gently caress would Ubisoft even allow keybinding if they aren't going to let it work? BTW, same thing goes for your camera. Still requires hitting L to take out, no matter what you bound it do.

That's really bizzare, are you sure there's not another tab in the keybind menu or something? Seems like a really strange, massive oversight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

Vaas' surname, Wahine, means woman in Maori. Maybe he's a tranny?

Vaas surname is Montenegro. 'Vaas Wahine' refers to the little hulu statuette that you get with the Insane edition.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

:v: look at how dumb I am

It got me too when I went into pick up the Insane edition.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wierd/funny/possibly crazy spoilers for one of the pre-order exclusive missions:

On giantbomb.com, during their quick look, they made a joke about the twist of Far Cry 3 being that the protagonist is in an Animus, which were being advertised as a commercial product at some point in an Assassin's Creed game. Vinny Caravella quipped that he wanted to see an Abstergo symbol in Far Cry 3 somewhere.

During one of the Unlockable Content missions you get for pre-ordering or buying the Insane Edition, the World War 2 bunker ones, you find a folder with an Abstergo symbol on the front.

Platystemon posted:

What is the gun obtaining/carrying system like this time around? The weapon classes in Far Cry 2 were interesting, but also kind of restrictive. It didn’t help that I had to run to a gun shop every time I wanted to switch weapons.

You start off capable of carrying two guns at any time, and by skinning animals, you can craft further holsters that allow you to carry up to four.

EDIT: Oh, man, the dialogue in this mission is really something, wierd Bishock references, wisecracking one-liners, what the gently caress.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 29, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Far Cry 3 officially takes place in the same universe as Assassin's Creed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Seriously, why does Jason turn into a quip-machine making constant references to video games during the bonus missions?

This is the most hilariously tone deaf game I've played in a long time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Adraeus, I said that very specific, small part was inexcusably badly designed, I don't think you read what you think, man.

Speedball posted:

This game might be one huge reference to The Beach then, I guess...

Yeah, totally, at least it's a very clear homage in some spots. The problem is I don't know where this all kind of going; I've got no real wether they're entirely earnesy with this whole thing, or if the awful writing so far is part of the joke.

I want to see where it goes, but I don't have high hopes at this point.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 29, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I was just trying to take an outpost by stealth (which usually means setting everything on fire but that still counts as stealth if they don't see you!) and while trying to flank some guards I was set upon by a pack of about eight cassowaries who then proceeded to kick me to death.

:psyduck:

Cassowaries are loving deadly. You died like a hero.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

real_scud posted:

Anyone know where the island region is supposed to be? The other guys on your side keep saying Kia ora, which I learned from visiting New Zealand is Maori for "hi", which makes me want to say that it has to be somewhere around NZ, but has anyone seen anything more concrete?

There's Dingos and Cassowaries so it seems vaguely New Guinean, but I doubt it matches up 100% with any one area.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Popelmon posted:

I love how the guns feel in this game. They really pack a punch and they are really accurate.

The 1911 feels really great, I'm just dissapointed it can't field a supressor in singleplayer for no real reason. It has one in multiplayer, and I suspect one of th signature weapons is equipped with one, but those seem to have all manner of sights and goofy poo poo slapped onto them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Elth posted:

I only just started the game, but I figured some weapons were non-customizable because enemies carried them, and since weapons never break you only really "own" one of that specific weapon. Maybe the devs wanted the player to avoid picking up an enemy's AK and see it sprout a reflex sight and foregrip ( my immersion, etc ).

You can cuztomize weapons the enemies carry.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

az posted:

Do go on...

The weapons you can buy include stuff like the A2000, which enemies carry the basic version of, but you can upgrade and carry around.

The no-cuztomizing on the first tier of weapons thing must have just been a deliberate choice on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Orv posted:

I'm not squeemish about much, mostly things involving needles around eyes, but the FC2 healing animations were super cringe-worthy. Not to mention a great reason not to get shot. Are they as bad/good here?

There doesn't seem to be as many of them, and the ones that would be really squeamish like digging a bullet out look a lot goofier this time. The broken thumb one isn't bad, same with the one you get after explosions, where you have a shard of glass or metal sticking out of the back of your hand.

• Locked thread