Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Junk posted:

So is the PC version coming out at the same time as the console ones, or are we going to have to wait 5 months as seems to be par for the course these days?

It's supposed to be a simultaneous release across all platforms. Steam has it available for pre-order with a December 4th release date.

Is there any word on the copy protection for PC players? I have flat out refused to buy Ubisoft-made games for years but I hear that they've relaxed the draconian protections in recent months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It seemed like a really missed opportunity that Far Cry 2 didn't break up the tedium by sneaking the occasional crocodile or aggressive african buffalo into the mix. For the first few hours, I legitimately thought that they had, and every time I jumped into a murky river, I had an oh poo poo moment of panic, thinking a crocodile might attack me. When I discovered that there weren't any aggressive wildlife, wandering the wilderness lost a lot of its appeal.

It wasn't just animals, I never found ANYTHING in the empty space between points of interest. Seemed like a wasted opportunity to not have things to find that weren't on the map, or even just random patrols you could run into.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

KatMan911 posted:

Hah, did you look for diamond briefcases? I did, I spent hours driving around, looking for the bastards. Almost found them all, and then found out that getting all of them gives you sweet-gently caress-all. Not even a cheat menu for fun stuff like unlimited ammo or something. An achievement instead, if you get all diamonds in the game. Talk about artificially padding the playing time.

I agree with the wildlife sentiment - it would've added a lot to the atmosphere. Glad that FarCry 3 is going to have it.

I found a lot of them but I never even finished the game. Got to the second half, realized it was going to more of the same and just never played it again. Didn't feel like I missed out on anything by not finishing it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Trigens were cool until you shot one with a sniper rifle from like five miles away and it would turn around and start launching rockets at your exact position. Rockets which took about a full minute to actually reach you.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
If I can go all stealthy and murder people with nothing but a bow and a knife I'm pretty sure this will be GOTY territory for me.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
So can you play through the game all stealthy and murder people with a bow and arrow? :allears:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

gibbed posted:

Does using a flamethrower on the plants and standing in the breeze count?

Hey, if it worked in Afghanistan...

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Pariah Messiah posted:

So, how will this game perform with a GTX 560SE overclocked to about 820 Mhz? Good? Bad?

Also, does this game have 4 player splitscreen? (As in, 4 players can play on the same TV). Because Left 4 Dead didn't and that really pissed me off.

Expecting 4 player split screen on the PC version is a little weird.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

SplitSoul posted:

My definition of insanity will henceforth be "buying Ubisoft products". To even be able to launch it on XP I had to crack it, as per instructions on the FC3 forum. Not only that, but I had to combine two cracks to get it to work (FC3 and AC3). So I finally get to see the main menu, I guess that's cool, even though I obviously can't access multiplayer now, but then I try to change the resolution and my graphics card stops responding. Every. Time. Motherfuck.

Why the gently caress would I even think they'd changed their ways? It's always their stupid, draconian DRM that fucks over paying customers. Oh well, last time I make that mistake.

Time to upgrade your operating system. AC3 doesn't even support XP.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2012

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

TheJoker138 posted:

Any word on if there's going to be a Green Man Gaming deal on this? I'd like to pick it up, but $60 is a little steep for me right now, so if I could get it for $50 or even $55 I'd prefer it.

It's $50 USD regular price on Steam if you're in North America. $60 gets you the digital deluxe edition.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Crysis is made by completely different developers.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess since the visuals were impressive and it has the same name and open world of Farcry 1, that I assumed it was Crytek. Weird, how did Ubisoft buy the Farcry brand?

Far Cry was developed by Crytek and published by Ubisoft so they always owned the brand. Crytek went to EA shortly after it was published so they were not able to continue the franchise. The Crysis series is essentially a spiritual successor to Far Cry and runs on iterations of the same engine that FC used, whereas FC2 and FC3 run on a completely different engine.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I think I need a shotgun as a backup weapon for my bow. loving tigers. :gonk:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I hope there's a way to keep the patrols with a mod of some kind.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Turtlicious posted:

Wait, I though FC3 was steamworks.

Steamworks is not Steam Workshop but in any case, no, it isn't.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I busied myself setting land mines and C4 traps all around an outpost and a pig blundered into one of my mines, blowing it up and setting off a chain reaction that lit the entire forest around it on fire and detonated most of my other mines in the process.

Goddamn pigs. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Can I get some help, yo. Why does my Far Cry look like this?

It's making me cry :-(

I gots me a:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

4 gbs of ram

intel CORE i3 processor

and a couple cocktail weenies.

I was running the game on medium last night with no issues. I'm not to sure what the hell happened.

Maybe your install got corrupted somehow. Verify cache integrity in Steam and maybe even do a defrag if you haven't run one in a while.

• Locked thread