Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

timrenzi574 posted:

Did you say before you have other large aperture lenses? (A fast 50 I think?) - What are your results with that?

Sometimes a particular lens and a body are just on the far end of spec with each other - so if in spec is "+/-2mm" and you have a lens that's +2 and a body that's +2, suddenly you have a combo that's 4mm out of spec, and you just need to swap the lens for another copy.

If you don't have the same poor results with another lens (suggesting it's not just a body problem), what I'd try is seeing if you can micro adjust for a 90% keeper rate or so with close focus, and then see if multipoint gets you better results at a distance. If you can't get it to that, you can try bugging Nikon again until they agree to calibrate your lens & body together.

And test with proper focus targets rather than real subjects if you're going to be trying to sort this out seriously - you want something with really good contrast (black line on white background) which is distant enough from other contrasty bits, that you know it's the only thing it will lock on to, and shoot it straight on from a tripod so you know you're not moving back and forth a little between focus & shutter firing.

BTW - on your last 2 photos, the second to last one looks like it's focused at infinity, and the last one looks like focus is right behind the car (look at the curb)

My 50mm 1.8 doesn't seem nearly as bad, but I admit I haven't used it much lately. From the times I have, though, I was always quite pleased with the results.

I did test it by shooting a white box with black type in a well lit room and had similar results. Focus wandered quite a bit.

I definitely agree about the last 2 photos, but nothing seemed completely in focus which is why I posted those.

I guess I'm just frustrated because Nikon service keeps putting up a fight giving me half assed answers like the one I posted instead of just telling me I can send it in to have it checked/calibrated. The lens is only a few months old and covered under warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

emotive posted:

My 50mm 1.8 doesn't seem nearly as bad, but I admit I haven't used it much lately. From the times I have, though, I was always quite pleased with the results.

I did test it by shooting a white box with black type in a well lit room and had similar results. Focus wandered quite a bit.

I definitely agree about the last 2 photos, but nothing seemed completely in focus which is why I posted those.

I guess I'm just frustrated because Nikon service keeps putting up a fight giving me half assed answers like the one I posted instead of just telling me I can send it in to have it checked/calibrated. The lens is only a few months old and covered under warranty.

If you've got controlled test results like that, just keep sending them and pushing, try escalating. Eventually you'll be able to get someone who will let you send it in to calibrate with your body.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

timrenzi574 posted:

If you've got controlled test results like that, just keep sending them and pushing, try escalating. Eventually you'll be able to get someone who will let you send it in to calibrate with your body.

Yeah I put in another service ticket. I'm planning on sending my D600 in for the service advisory anyways, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I posted a few months ago and you guys seemed pretty up on me getting the 35 1.8 for my dusty D50. I ordered it yesterday (finally!) and it was awesome seeing the next few pages after my post being nothing but 35mm DX praise. Arrived already and enjoyed going out for a walk snapping various buildings in order to get a feel for it and learn which settings work best (mainly following the advice from here while mixing up the aperture a little to see what differences it makes.

Got a fair bit of travelling to do over the next few months, really looking forward to taking a real camera out again and hopefully ending up with some nice snaps. Thanks again!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Processing is the only thing that really scares the crap out of me. Who the hell knows if this slider should be .2 or .3, etc etc. So I just cover my ears and say lalalala and shoot in RAW and then don't even look at the pictures after I take them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Processing is the only thing that really scares the crap out of me. Who the hell knows if this slider should be .2 or .3, etc etc. So I just cover my ears and say lalalala and shoot in RAW and then don't even look at the pictures after I take them.

There's no reason to be intimidated about post-processing. It's as much art as science, and a lot of it is going to be very subjective.

it's why I do most of my post-processing with :420: so I can focus on making pretty images that make me happy instead of obsessing about whether something should be at +5 or +10 or maybe -5 because that looks good and wait have I... you get the point

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Kenshin posted:

There's no reason to be intimidated about post-processing. It's as much art as science, and a lot of it is going to be very subjective.

it's why I do most of my post-processing with :420: so I can focus on making pretty images that make me happy instead of obsessing about whether something should be at +5 or +10 or maybe -5 because that looks good and wait have I... you get the point

The fact that it's an art is my problem. What is a good image. What do any of these knobs have to do with that. I end up just being disgusted at what comes out of the camera.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Does it look good? If not, tweak until it does. Repeat. You are being way too left-brain about this.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My post processing is pretty much the same for every photo I take. I look at the brightest spots in the photo and reduce the highlights if I think anything's too bright. I do the same with shadows, turn them up if I think anything's too dark. Then I hold alt and turn down the blacks until just before they clip. Then do the same with the whites, slide up until just before they clip. That is essentially a more manual way of adjusting the contrast. If I find that the image ends up too contrasty, I tune the white/black sliders down a bit to compensate. Seems to work 90% of the time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I always go by "do I like the way this looks" and "do I want to spend anymore time on it"

If the answer is yes and no, then I'm done.

Workflow usually goes:
- profile correction
- switch from adobe rgb to camera neutral
- crop, rotate, etc
- exposure
- sharpen, masking, luminence
- highlights
- lights, darks, shadows
- clarity, vibrence, saturation
- export

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
With time I've found that everything is super easier if you go shoot with an image already in mind instead of throwing ideas at it while pp-ing.
I get there with the lens I need (sharpness, focal length, aperture..), when the light is right. Scouting the location helps, whenever possible.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just processed a few pics taken with my "new" 28-50 f3.5

Man that lens is great. Took a while to find one, but the contrast and sharpness are truly something for a zoom.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

emotive posted:

I'll give that a shot. It's more than just shooting at distance, though...

1. Using Live View nails focus every time. If I focus with live view, turn it off, and re-focus through the viewfinder, it shifts.

That's weird as hell -- doesn't the live view use a much crappier AF system than the mirror/prism has? I fear that your main circuit board is hosed.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Delivery McGee posted:

That's weird as hell -- doesn't the live view use a much crappier AF system than the mirror/prism has? I fear that your main circuit board is hosed.

Crappier for movement and speed, yes. But sometimes more accurate because it reads right off the imaging sensor instead of a secondary AF sensor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Exactly. Live view can accurately focus even an out-of-spec lens because it's driven by the imaging sensor.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My venerable 35mm f2D finally developed the sticky aperture of death, and Nikon doesn't service these anymore. Can anyone recommend an independent shop that does repair this lens, or a decent replacement? I'm not opposed to going wider.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

red19fire posted:

My venerable 35mm f2D finally developed the sticky aperture of death, and Nikon doesn't service these anymore. Can anyone recommend an independent shop that does repair this lens, or a decent replacement? I'm not opposed to going wider.

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"?
Or Nikon's own 35/1.8 DX if you don't need fullframe.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

KEH has flat rate repairs for $130 if you really want to get it repaired.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What's the best way of getting XP to translate .NEF files? 1.23 won't install.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What's the best way of getting XP to translate .NEF files? 1.23 won't install.

You dont. Upgrade to your OS.

32- and 64-bit versions of Windows® 8.1/Windows® 8.1 Pro/Windows® 8.1 Enterprise, 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows® 7 Home Basic/Home Premium/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate (Service Pack 1), 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista® Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate (Service Pack 2)

No, really, its time to upgrade your OS.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ehh, softpedia had the old 1.14 codec, which does still install.

e: installs, but doesn't help.

I know I need to upgrade, it's just way, waaay down my list of priorities right now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 28, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ehh, softpedia had the old 1.14 codec, which does still install.

I know I need to upgrade, it's just way, waaay down my list of priorities right now.

How does it feel to literally be an 80 year old grandma.

e. I shouldn't say that, my 80 year old grandma upgraded from xp years ago.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OK, I have a win 7 system waiting at my parents house to be picked up in 2 weeks. I also have a laptop dualbooting Ubuntu and Vista, but the screen is loving awful for photoediting no matter how much I try and calibrate it. So at the moment I'm stuck using my old XP machine because it's hooked up to the only screen I have that doesn't autofuck the colours / contrast to make it look prettier.

It would probably be less faff to just plug the laptop into the good monitor, I was just hoping there might be a way of doing it without having to rewire my ghetto rear end room.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Even the us military has moved on past xp.

The military.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

The military.

My Oma still uses XP but she also doesnt know what an email is and only watches catte videos.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you absolutely can't spend any money, try getting a version of RawTherapee, at least the older versions should still work on prehistoric operating systems.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

nielsm posted:

If you absolutely can't spend any money, try getting a version of RawTherapee, at least the older versions should still work on prehistoric operating systems.
I've heard this name crop up a few times, so I'll give it a go until the new system arrives in 2 weeks (win 7, 2 years old, donated by cousin).

Basically I shot a bunch of stuff at a friend's christening and I just need to get it processed and sent to her asap. As I said, win7 system arrives in about 2 weeks. Until then I just needed something that would work on my old XP crate.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

The military.

Not entirely true... Our print server is xp. For photo editing we use windows 7 though... Upgrade that poo poo.

Seriously though... Can't you plug your good monitor into your laptop? It may be a little annoying, but for the next two weeks it should work.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I dunno which body you have but the in camera raw processing can take care of really basic exposure stuff. It can even fix wb. Make some jpegs and email them before your computer succumbs to hordes of viruses and root kits.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You been cucked by Microsoft :snoop:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Seriously though... Can't you plug your good monitor into your laptop? It may be a little annoying, but for the next two weeks it should work.
Probably, it's just a hassle with the way everything's hooked up. I was sort of hoping I could just set up a macro for the general level / lighting changes I need and then leave the PC batch processing / converting while I get on with work on the laptop.

This is how I'd normally do it, but my usual program just won't read NEFs.

Dren posted:

I dunno which body you have but the in camera raw processing can take care of really basic exposure stuff. It can even fix wb.
D3200, and thank you, I'll give this a try as well.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 29, 2014

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like a bit of an idiot.

I finally did a proper focus test and realized my microadjust was pushed in the wrong direction. I had it at -5, but tests showed +5 was far sharper.

Also, my entire focusing problem seems to be because of my circular polarizer. I'm not sure why, but I never thought to consider that a factor as I didn't think it could make such a difference. Took the camera/85mm to a car show today, put the polarizer on, and bam, everything was out of focus. Tried rotating it a bit and the images got a bit sharper but still not quite there. Took it off completely, and every single picture from the entire day is tack sharp wide open.

D'oh. Time to invest in a proper filter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It could be that you got sold a linear instead, which can throw off your AF module. Just get a Marumi.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

It could be that you got sold a linear instead, which can throw off your AF module. Just get a Marumi.

I'll take a look at those. Honestly it's just some lovely Zeikos polarizer that came in a filter pack I got for free with my lens.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was at my local store to get a tripod yesterday and they had a used SB-600 with all the accessories for only $200. So tempting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't get a SB-600, the interface is so aggravating.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't get a SB-600, the interface is so aggravating.

It's not great but I'd buy one if the price was right.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

I broke my 35mm 1.8G somehow recently; I can see if I look in the front of it the blades aren't closing.

It actually still kind of works but I have to manually adjust everything to get a reasonable photo.
Any idea how much repairing one of these costs, or is it a write-off?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The sb600 is a great flash. I use it manually with my land camera 330 and the interface is fine for manual flash work on any camera. The only thing that sucks about the interface is diving in to turn on CLS. Ttl/manual interface is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

dazjw posted:

I broke my 35mm 1.8G somehow recently; I can see if I look in the front of it the blades aren't closing.

It actually still kind of works but I have to manually adjust everything to get a reasonable photo.
Any idea how much repairing one of these costs, or is it a write-off?

It looks like one blade has broken/slipped off from the aperature mechanism. Lens fixes usually cost around $150-200, so right around the same price a new lens would be for that lens - I wouldn't bother, buy a new one.

If it's just slipped off, you could maybe repair it yourself, but it's fiddly and you might break it worse in the process.