Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

Lol I meant magnesium

I can see a company doing this to make the DPR "weight = quality" crew happy, a camera that weighs as much as a gold bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assumed he meant tungsten-carbide or some tungsten-alloy steel. Which would be awesome.

...for crushing the skulls of inferior photographers.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Lord help me, now I can sperg about fine-tuning the auto focus.

Thankfully most of my lenses seem fine, with no noticeable front or back focusing. But my 35 1.8G is off like crazy. I have to set the fine-tune setting to -20 before it gets anywhere near what the live-view example looks like, and it's still not quite as good. I don't remember it being this bad on my D5100, but then again I actually rarely use it wide open anymore.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Send it in?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It's probably not worth it for me. The 35 1.8G is cheap to begin with, and paying for shipping + the adjustment would probably cost more than the lens in the end, especially considering the :canada: dollar right now.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Getting my D7k serviced by Nikon will cost me how much exactly?

My sensor is dirty and I have a trip to Germany coming up. Is sending it in to Nikon the best way?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just clean it yourself

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Just clean it yourself

I'm scared :(

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

tijag posted:

I'm scared :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBSS9g-Z57Q

Have faith and confidence!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I'm going to be traveling some in October, and will be in some pretty spectacular places for picture-taking. I aim to bring my D800, but all the lenses I own are primes, and can be a pain for walking around+shooting. I'm therefore looking at renting a fast zoom to bolt on for the duration.

I've rented the Nikkor 24-70 ƒ2.8 before, and it was... fine. I heard about the Tamron, and tried an open-box one on my camera at Adorama the other day, and was distinctly -not- blown away by its sharpness (hard, coming from prime-only shooting, I know). I don't know if that was a bad copy. The Tokina is due on shelves soon, and Lensrentals liked the copy they got, but that was just one.

So... do you guys have any recommendations? Nikon also has some longer-throw zooms in the ƒ4 or variable ranges which might be more useful, but how do people feel about their quality?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh, yeah tamrons tend to need a little focus nudging. My 70-200 needed like -5 adjustment to nail it, but once there it's sharp af

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Deal is only live for about 2.5 more hours and is close to selling out, but B&H is selling the 77mm Tiffen Variable ND for about $50 off today.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

I use this exact one. It's pretty great and if you're looking to get a VND, this is a stellar price.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Has anyone had any experiences with the Nikon (canada) repair folks? My 16-35 focus ring seems gritty so it seems like I am going to have to send it in... It is probably my most used lens so beyond the cost not excited for it being gone for some time...

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

I've rented the Nikkor 24-70 ƒ2.8 before, and it was... fine.

What were its downsides? I feel like it is as close to perfect as a lens can get.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RangerScum posted:

What were its downsides? I feel like it is as close to perfect as a lens can get.

It was for me mostly a sharpness issue; coming from prime-shooting, I wasn't super happy with the sharpness on the zoom, especially outside of the center of the field, even stopped-down. That said, I didn't do any AF adjustments...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
What is the real world benefit of a D lens over a non-D lens? I understand that it communicates the distance to subject to the camera, but who cares? AF works just fine on non-D lenses.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

What is the real world benefit of a D lens over a non-D lens? I understand that it communicates the distance to subject to the camera, but who cares? AF works just fine on non-D lenses.

Distance information gets used for metering assistance (ambient and flash) more so than any AF advantage

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

Distance information gets used for metering assistance (ambient and flash) more so than any AF advantage

Yep. At least some cameras require it for matrix metering, and I think TTL flash also needs it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
This is a stupid question, does anyone know if there is any market at all for AFS lenses that are in good shape optically but have dying/dead autofocus motors? I'm sitting on two older pro lenses at the moment and I'd really like to get something out of them to take the hurt off of replacing them so selling them to some DIY nut or repair shop would be better than leaving them sitting in the equipment case.

BANME.sh posted:

If you are nuts about backwards compatibility because you have cameras that can't handle a G or N mount lens due to a lack of a way to change aperture other than a aperture ring, but that's really niche since we're talking about film bodies pre-F5. And F5s are like $400-$500 from KEH so not really like it's a huge barrier to just get a F5.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Parts Kit posted:

This is a stupid question, does anyone know if there is any market at all for AFS lenses that are in good shape optically but have dying/dead autofocus motors? I'm sitting on two older pro lenses at the moment and I'd really like to get something out of them to take the hurt off of replacing them so selling them to some DIY nut or repair shop would be better than leaving them sitting in the equipment case.

Sure, I see broken stuff selling on ebay all the time: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=p2045573.m1684

I'm guessing third party repair shops are usually the ones buying them for spare parts stock.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sure, I see broken stuff selling on ebay all the time: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=p2045573.m1684

I'm guessing third party repair shops are usually the ones buying them for spare parts stock.

Nikon won't sell parts to anyone third party anymore either, so I'd imagine broken Nikon stuff has an even bigger market than other brands

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Oh thank god, the 80-200 2.8D is one of the two and it looks like people are actually buying them even with autofocus issues.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So I just upgraded to a D7100 from a D5100. Should I worry about a screen protector for screen? Nikon doesn't seem to make some kind of plastic cover for it, so I guess the only options are covers that adhere like for a smartphone, right?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I just upgraded to a D7100 from a D5100. Should I worry about a screen protector for screen? Nikon doesn't seem to make some kind of plastic cover for it, so I guess the only options are covers that adhere like for a smartphone, right?
The Invisible Shield ones are pretty good, as long as you don't gently caress up while applying it. Mine's been working well for a couple years except for the corner where spruce sap got smeared on my camera and I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McCoy Pauley posted:

I have used both glass and polycarbonate protectors on my fujis. The glass ones are nice but can shatter if you chip an edge. Just find something on Amazon with good reviews.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Does anyone have recommendations on how to get the Nikon .MOV files into virtualdub? Searching has lead me to needing combinations of third party plugins and quicktime, is there no easier way?

E: nevermind, I found a much more recent plugin which doesn't need any additional installs and it works. (link)

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Refurbished D7100s are going for $499 now, in case anyone's thinking of upgrading from an older DX body
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA63G3GN4997

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
A 2 week trip through Germany [and several other countries] with a borrowed D750 blew me away. Such a pleasure to shoot with and get good results.

I used basically two lenses, a 12-24mm Sigma wide angle and the new 24-70mm Tamron. It was wonderful having the larger viewfinder [coming from a D7k] and the wider FoV was really wonderful as well.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What do you guys think about the D810? I love the Df for low light work, but I also kind of want to sacrifice some low light capability for some ridiculous megapixel power, since some of them get printed at huge sizes and I'm worried about them not being up to snuff.

Although one time I worked on a fashion shoot and the photographer used a d800 and the photographer filled up a 32 gig card in about 3 hours. So I am not looking forward to that.

VVV Thanks, I shoot like 4k photos per event, so I'm wondering how the medium jpegs hold up. the large normals of the DF are solid up to like 20" or so.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 3, 2015

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I love my D810. It's a superlative camera. I wish it wasn't saddled with Nikon's awful "pro" interface, but the images more than make up for it. I've never found the high-ISO image quality wanting.

Sure, it makes large files that eat up hard drive space, but that knowledge serves as a reminder not to make a bunch of poo poo photos.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What don't you like about the Nikon pro interface? I love it and am always super annoyed not having it on the D750. Speaking of which, if you're going to shoot medium jpegs, why don't you just get a D750?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

powderific posted:

What don't you like about the Nikon pro interface? I love it and am always super annoyed not having it on the D750. Speaking of which, if you're going to shoot medium jpegs, why don't you just get a D750?

I want it all, drat it. In an ideal world I would be able to use the medium jpg's for high volume event work, and then have monster, medium-format style resolution for editorial or other 'serious' work. and ISO 64 :swoon: DxO makes it seem like it's only 2/3 off for low light performance.

I was looking into finding an older MF digital back to adapt to a Hasselblad V because I hate money and heave it away with great force, but holy poo poo those are finicky at best and only useable up to ISO 200.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Buy more/bigger SD cards?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Compared to the price of a camera body, 64GB cards are pretty inexpensive. The only time I've filled one up on my D800 is when I had an otter drag its catch onto a bank right in front of me at the end of a day out, and I just kept shooting as fast as the buffer would allow for like 15 minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm obviously completely fooling myself, but I think I've actually thought of a trio of lenses that will cover 99% of what I want to do (and I already have fast 35, 50 and 135 (M) Nikon primes that I picked up cheaply and can supplement any of these when needed)

For a D7200 body:

* Tokina 11-16 2.8 (Own and on its way...)
* Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS Macro (To replace existing Nikon 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit)
* Tamron 70-200 2.8 (To replace existing Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 pre-VR plastic thing I've had for 10+ years)

The lack of constant aperture in the Sigma (which would be my walkabout) is the only drawback. Could replace it for the Nikon 17-55 2.8 which everyone seems to love and just deal with losing a bit of the top end focal range, but it's double the cost on the second hand market.

Ha ha, who am I kidding... I want all the lenses.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There's also the goon favorite Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC. Unless you find yourself in the 50-70 range a lot, it doesn't seem worth worrying about missing that focal length coverage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lack of VC, even in a wide angle, kills me. (I forgot that Nikon doesn't have VR too, I knew there was something). I'm rarely with stabilisation and I know I wouldn't have gotten shots from floor hundred-and-something at the Burj Khalifa with car streams that are tolerable to me from a sharpness POV if I wasn't able to crank it down to 1/4 or so. Without VR and my caffeine riddled body, it probably would've been awful. I should've done some tests just to find out!

Intrigued as to the performance between the Tamron and the kit lens, I'm guessing the extra money goes into the fixed aperture which is understandable.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The lack of VC, even in a wide angle, kills me. (I forgot that Nikon doesn't have VR too, I knew there was something). I'm rarely with stabilisation and I know I wouldn't have gotten shots from floor hundred-and-something at the Burj Khalifa with car streams that are tolerable to me from a sharpness POV if I wasn't able to crank it down to 1/4 or so. Without VR and my caffeine riddled body, it probably would've been awful. I should've done some tests just to find out!

Intrigued as to the performance between the Tamron and the kit lens, I'm guessing the extra money goes into the fixed aperture which is understandable.

How about the Sigma 17-50/2.8 EX DC OS HSM? That'll give you VC and the constant 2.8 and they seem to run around or under $400 used. I haven't used the Tamron 17-50, but I've got that Sigma for my D7100, and it seems pretty solid and sharp to me, and the VC (rather, OS) can be handy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

red19fire posted:

What do you guys think about the D810? I love the Df for low light work, but I also kind of want to sacrifice some low light capability for some ridiculous megapixel power, since some of them get printed at huge sizes and I'm worried about them not being up to snuff.
I've got a 800 and it's killed my interest in any other non-pocketable cameras. Coming from a couple years older APS-C camera the increase in DR is what finally killed my film shooting.

Were I to buy a camera today it'd be a 750 tho. I don't give a poo poo either way about the pro interface TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds pretty perfect, losing the 50-70mm doesn't really bother me all that much and I'm not one for thinking I need a set of lenses to cover every possible focal length. Is this a harder to come by lens? My usual stockist doesn't have any (MPB, they cover a sizeable selection) and eBay brought up nothing in the UK but one seller in Germany for £200 or so.