Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

powderific posted:

What's another good source for used lenses now that KEH has gone downhill?

B&H and Adorama both have a pretty extensive selection of used gear. I've had good experiences with B&H's used department - the only time I decided to return something, the process was quick an painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Just got a d750. It's use will mostly be kid pictures. We were using a Sigma 30 non art on our old canon xsi previously. What 50 mm prime to get for new camera? Sigma art? Nikkor 50 1.8?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hdip posted:

Just got a d750. It's use will mostly be kid pictures. We were using a Sigma 30 non art on our old canon xsi previously. What 50 mm prime to get for new camera? Sigma art? Nikkor 50 1.8?

Whatever is cheapest. This is literally the cheapest lens you can buy. Hell, get it second hand and you can't go wrong.

Also since you're doing kid photography, learn to shoot with shutter priority and autofocus lock (for when there's herds of kids and the AF loses its poo poo).

You'll find that the sensor in the d750 is so loving awesome you'll never use a flash and your photos at 6400 ISO look sharp as hell.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

Whatever is cheapest.
This. I have a 1.8 on a d800 and love it.

Also aperture prio with min speed set owns all. gently caress that shutter prio silliness.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

evil_bunnY posted:

Also aperture prio with min speed set owns all. gently caress that shutter prio silliness.

That's gonna get you a whole bunch of blurry toddler photos

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What is minimum speed in this case? Lowest iso?

Shutter priority is exactly what you need for kids, birds, and other fast-moving subjects IMO.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It depends on the light but I usually go with 1/100 when the kid's walking around. Anything faster for a vigorous game of chase the woodland creatures. Just keep an eye on your iso because people on Flickr or 500px will make fun of you for taking pics at 128000 iso like a newb

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not if you dose the kids with Nikonyl first, the latest in Nikons line of photo accessories.

Want them to sit still for one goddamn second to take a photo? Want that thousand yard Sear Portrait Studio stare? Try Nikonyl! Cause kids are jerks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can pick all of that stuff in the auto ISO menu. Max iso, what minimum shutter speed to shoot for, etc.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Hdip posted:

I also have the D750 and the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 is so friggin' good for the money it's almost criminal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What is minimum speed in this case? Lowest iso?

Shutter priority is exactly what you need for kids, birds, and other fast-moving subjects IMO.

namaste faggots posted:

That's gonna get you a whole bunch of blurry toddler photos

Nikon bodies let you specify a minimum shutter speed. So you stick that in your auto-iso options (along with the max Iso you're comfy with) and you retain creative control while making sure your kids aren't blurry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have mine set based on focal length too using that, rather than a static shutter speed that doesn't change regardless of what lens I have strapped on. It uses the standard 'Nikon chart of confusion' control but I think each click left/right related to a 1/3 stop from memory. I still dig Auto ISO for general all purpose shooting, but you have to mentally know how it works and it's caveats. Doesn't usually lead me astray anyway, due to the safety features like minimum shutter.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

I also use this combo, the nifty fifty delivers surprising quality for the price.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I got a D5500 with the 10-55 kit lens. As a total neophyte how long should I expect productive learning from the kit lens, and should the next (probably only for some time) be the 55 35mm prime?

Roki B fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 26, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
You could be happy with the kit lens forever, it all depends what you like shooting. The advantage of getting a prime lens is typically they have a larger aperture which gives you that nice shallow depth of field which is appealing for portraits and also gives you more flexibility when shooting in low light situations. You may also eventually want a longer zoom lens if you find that 55 isn't suiting your needs (maybe a 55-200), if you want to shoot more sports or wildlife for example.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
If all you are doing is street / urban photography you would probably never need to take that kit lens off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The kit lens is great. The lack of a fast aperture is it's only lacking feature, but that's no big deal really. A good focal range for DX, and IS to boot. Never saw the point of selling mine even after I replaced it with better quality glass, it's small and light enough that I'm sure I'll find use for it again.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but what about my ~~~bokeh~~~

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
That's good to hear, thank you. Also wondering because I expect overcast and rain to be the majority of shooting and while I read Nikon has the better ISO noise quality, I have no inherent understanding of if it will have sufficient speed or aperture.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone tried the sigma 1401 teleconverter on the 150-600 C lens, or the nikon 70-200? I don't really need even more reach, but it would be fun to get.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have mine set based on focal length too using that, rather than a static shutter speed that doesn't change regardless of what lens I have strapped on. It uses the standard 'Nikon chart of confusion' control but I think each click left/right related to a 1/3 stop from memory. I still dig Auto ISO for general all purpose shooting, but you have to mentally know how it works and it's caveats. Doesn't usually lead me astray anyway, due to the safety features like minimum shutter.

I've just been figuring things out as I go the last year, but what I ended up using since april / may which seems to work well is setting shutter + aperture manually, with autoISO on, and keeping an eye on the iso to see if I can go for more DOF/shutter or not. I'm mostly limited by subject motion though, and not camera shake. So when I have pseudo static subjects I'll go down to 1/500th or so, and when they are running / climbing / playing I stay above 1/2000th and try and get a good compromise between DOF and ISO by setting the aperture manually, depending on distance and scenery.

Roki B posted:

That's good to hear, thank you. Also wondering because I expect overcast and rain to be the majority of shooting and while I read Nikon has the better ISO noise quality, I have no inherent understanding of if it will have sufficient speed or aperture.

Without knowing what you are taking photos of, e.g. the expected shutter speed, it is hard to say.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm just curious, but why was there no D400? Why did the naming jump to D500?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My 3 theories:

1. Length of time between D300 and the new model and they wanted it to be seen as a big upgrade
2. Developed by the same team who made Winamp
3. Desire to avoid the number 4, which is unlucky in Japan.

Probably the 3rd, in all truth.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I thought the D300 was released to match the D3, so D500 to match the D5, and they didn't make one to match the D4.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that makes more sense than my theories.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone here have personal experience upgrading from the D7000 to the D7200. I'm thinking of making the jump.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So, this happened courtesy of my cats.

Fell from pretty high onto the tiled floor. The damage on the sigma is obvious, but I'm wondering what are my options for the poor D7000 :(

The viewfinder has gone a little dark, and there's a bit of rattling inside. It's out of warranty, guess I'm hosed?

I was going to replace it within a few months but I'd hoped to keep it for landscape photos.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Warranty wouldn't have covered drop damage anyway? If it's US market you can send it in to Nikon for repair anyway and see what they quote you. There may be cheaper repair options depending on what the problem is.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A used D7000 goes for like $350 US, I am willing to bet a repair cost would be way higher than that.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, guess that's that for it.

Thanks D7000, you survived six years of travel abuse only to fall to my cats. I'll pick up a D500 after my next pay check.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Six years is not a bad run for a DSLR. Sucks about the lens, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TequilaJesus posted:

Anyone here have personal experience upgrading from the D7000 to the D7200. I'm thinking of making the jump.
Sorry for the reply being a bit late, but ...

I have a D7000 and have had for about 5 years, I bought my wife a D7200 recently.

The 7200 is better in every way (clearer photos, faster focus, more focus points, adds a bunch of features like wifi, etc) and it shows. I plan to get one, or, timing allowing, get the updated version which is out, when my 7k dies.

I can't find the specs right now, but I recall that the 7100 didn't appeal to me because the buffer held less frames (because it was the same buffer size with increased image size, but the 7200 didn't have that issue.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

It's way past time for me to move to a full frame body for my professional work, I'm looking at the d750 but I'd imagine it's about to be replaced. Is now a bad time to make this purchase?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Wait for the D400.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
D810

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Business of Ferrets posted:

Wait for the D400.

Sage advice

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Karl Barks posted:

It's way past time for me to move to a full frame body for my professional work, I'm looking at the d750 but I'd imagine it's about to be replaced. Is now a bad time to make this purchase?

I made the switch to full-frame the day the D750 came out and love it. Especially the low-light performance is phenomenal. However, for my portrait and product shoots I wish I had the extra resolution of the D810 for that extra detail. I was hoping Nikon would announce a 36MP+ D760 or a 50MP D820 at Photokina, but all we got were lovely action cams :(

Rent a D750 and a D810 for a weekend, shoot what you'd use a new camera for and decide from there.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Caryna posted:

I made the switch to full-frame the day the D750 came out and love it. Especially the low-light performance is phenomenal. However, for my portrait and product shoots I wish I had the extra resolution of the D810 for that extra detail. I was hoping Nikon would announce a 36MP+ D760 or a 50MP D820 at Photokina, but all we got were lovely action cams :(

Rent a D750 and a D810 for a weekend, shoot what you'd use a new camera for and decide from there.

Yeah, that's a good idea - I'll rent a D750 until whatever the next model is comes out. The D810 seems too big to me, but couldn't hurt trying it out for an event or two. Thanks!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I bought a Nikon 50mm 1.4D, and I have a question. It seems to focus very soft, most of the time, but sometimes it's incredibly sharp (within the DoF).

I've fine-tuned the focus on my body (D7000), and I've tried shooting at different apertures. The fine tuning helped some, the different apertures don't seem to.

Is this a known thing? Is there anything I can do?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Sounds like you're missing focus.

Are you using AF-A, AF-S, or AF-C? Backbutton focus? Could be making the exposure before it's fully locked on.

If you use liveview to focus, do the results improve? Could be a misaligned phase-detect autofocus module

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Photozone claims to have observed some focus shift with that lens, so if you're getting sharp focus wide-open and weirdness at smaller apertures, that's probably why. AF Fine Tune can't (usefully) correct for focus shift; it's an inherent property of the lens as it gets more stopped down. If you can figure out whether the focus is consistently off and in which direction, you might be able to correct for it by practicing moving the camera forward/back to compensate once the AF system claims to have focus. Depending on whether the lens was new or used, you might also have a misaligned or decentered lens element but that seems far less likely than focus shift. Sadly, super-speed primes tend to exhibit focus shift worst of all so it's something you just have to be aware of regardless of lens.