Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're looking for a film body to pack away in your bag as a secondary camera, buy an FM2. Small, light, fully manual, meters up to ISO 6400 and probably indestructible. Steve McCurry used one, so all your bad pictures with it are your own fault.

edit: Anyone know how much Nikon charges to clean sensors? Alternatively, I can get it done locally for $40. I'd do it myself, but I'm a big baby and I'd rather someone who has cleaned hundreds of sensors do it.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I bought an F65 a few weeks ago because someone was selling it with a kit lens for $35 and I wanted a standard zoom for my trip and wasn't ready to commit to something better without doing more research. The kit lens worked really nicely, but I have no idea what to do with the F65. It's the fruitcake of Nikons. Maybe I should see if it blends.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

If nothing else, the old 28-80 3.5-5.6 AF-D is a shockingly good lens, for like a hundred bucks usually.

Yeah, this is the lens I got for $35. I got a step up ring for my polarizer and it worked really well. It feels really cheap, but the optics are surprisingly good.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

D7000s don't read, so get something with pictures.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You should only be putting AI primes on your film bodies anyway.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's a really nice camera. Just make sure to buy a sensor cleaning kit or be ready to pay someone to clean your sensor a lot. It gets dusty fast.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Just a reminder that there's literally no reason not to buy a 105/2.5 unless you are a chump.

I've been skulking around on ebay trying to snag one for under 100 for the past few months. I'll get one eventually. I've convinced myself if I just buy poo poo that McCurry used I'll have no excuses for my bad pictures.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They should sell memory cards that only hold 36 shots.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

it's can'tpatible

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Holy loving poo poo the 105mm f/2.5 rules. If you don't own this you're as retarded as I was until I did (very retarded).

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's the best part.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Musket posted:

Scrub, get the 135DC.

I got the 105 because it's nice and small for shooting concerts with. It's actually substantially lighter than my 50 1.2 that I usually use.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My D600 is really, really good at taking pictures of sensor dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The FM2 is Nikon's best camera. If you've already metered for highlights and shadows where you're shooting, then you're only slowing yourself down by checking the meter further.